Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? (22727 Views)

Why Do Women Divorcees Still Bear Their Ex Husband's Name After Divorce / Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by EazyMoh(m): 5:31am On May 08, 2021
Kondomatic:
Well I think it's her decision to make but it doesn't just feel right to me, I mean keeping ex-husband's name. It's somehow.

What if she decides to remarry? Will she keep ex hubby's name or take a new one?

If taking a new one is easy then why she no kuku reset to default settings after the first marriage no work.

Abeg e tire me.

I no wan get headache this morning.

The wahala started when she is forced to change to the husband's name in the fisrt place. Why not keep her maiden name?
One of the things I hate in our borrowed whiteman culture.

3 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Rushna27(f): 5:34am On May 08, 2021
This case is a matter of choice oooo cos d stress involve in change of name isn't easy...... me never change any name after marriage sef still using all my documents with my maiden name.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by TheMan3: 5:37am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
Thanks and God bless.
so this has been the reason you have been shouting the future is female all along

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by 9jaRealist: 5:46am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
I'm curious to know. Is it legal to keep your husband's name after a divorce?

Please lawyers in the house help a sister. I really want to know.

It’s a personal choice...
Many do, since they may have legally changed their names/documents.

>
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Tzar(m): 5:48am On May 08, 2021
Ideally? No, the woman simply does a name change just like she diid when she was married and wanted to change her maiden name.
But, technically you can if you want to get under the skin of the man. Since he doesn’t have copyright to the name, you can officially file for a name change to his surname...

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by 9jaRealist: 5:53am On May 08, 2021
Kondomatic:
Well I think it's her decision to make but it doesn't just feel right to me, I mean keeping ex-husband's name. It's somehow.

What if she decides to remarry? Will she keep ex hubby's name or take a new one?

If taking a new one is easy then why she no kuku reset to default settings after the first marriage no work.

Abeg e tire me.

That’s because how most Nigerians culturally regard marriage....
So many Nigerians think a wife is some sort of “stranger” to the family.

That’s why there are a lot of inheritance and general in-law issues...
When marriage is actually an amalgamation, and in most places abroad all wealth during marriage is “community” property (50/50).
>

2 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Nobody: 5:57am On May 08, 2021
zolajpower:

After you cut ties or disengage from your employment do you still possess the ID of your former employer? Answer the question correctly (10 marks )
grin
The future is female

Yes, as work experience
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Vulcanheph(m): 5:58am On May 08, 2021
See as all the nairaland wannabe feminists Don flood this thread..... If you ain't married to the Man anymore, then you have no excuse still using his name....many of the women you see still using their ex husband's name is probably because the husband's name has a lot of influence in many social and business circles and they wanna use it to their advantage.
If you divorce a man then nothing that concerns the man should be of your concern anymore except the children.
You should not use his name neither should you worry about his money....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by 9jaRealist: 5:58am On May 08, 2021
Tzar:
Ideally? No, the woman simply does a name change just like she diid when she was married and wanted to change her maiden name.
But, technically you can if you want to get under the skin of the man. Since he doesn’t have copyright to the name, you can officially file for a name change to his surname...

Has NOTHING to do with “getting under the skin” of some dude you are leaving - that’s just MISOGYNISTIC thinking...
The name and marriage is part and parcel of your life, and if you have kids with the dude you will all be sharing the SAME surname.
>
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by mu2sa2: 5:58am On May 08, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

It is not compulsory some of them choose to add it or not even bother at all.A woman is considered her father's daughter even after marriage.Change of name is not compulsory anywhere it is just a norm and people would love to be seen as a family unit and won't want to have different surnames so that it won't be complicated for them when it comes to doing official things together.
I know a lady who stopped the process of changing her surname to reflect her status as married. I praised her for that. It is totally unnecessary for a woman to drop her father's name because of marriage. If her status changes again e.g following husband's death and remarriage she will have to go through another process of name change. My advice is keep your maiden name officially ( in documents).
For those who have had a name change, in the event of divorce they are legally entitled to use the name, provided it's not intended to mislead others that she is still married to the man, or to defraud.

2 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by ImpactCrater: 5:59am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
Thanks and God bless.

this gyal is planning bad thing ooo
so na divorce matter turn you to born again so?
I no trust your bumbum!
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by akanbiaa(m): 6:00am On May 08, 2021
Kondomatic:

Abeg e tire me.

That is why it is best for the lady not to change her surname at all, let only her children have the father's name.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Vulcanheph(m): 6:00am On May 08, 2021
9jaRealist:

That’s because how most Nigerians culturally regard marriage....
So many Nigerians think a wife is some sort of “stranger” to the family.

That’s why there are a lot of inheritance and general in-law issues...
When marriage is actually an amalgamation, and in most places abroad all wealth during marriage is “community” property (50/50).
>
That is why the OGs like Donald Trump always insist on PRENUPTIAL.

2 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Sterope(f): 6:03am On May 08, 2021
Stick to Ms and your maiden name. Why complicate your life to begin with.

2 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by 9jaRealist: 6:05am On May 08, 2021
Vulcanheph:
See as all the nairaland wannabe feminists Don flood this thread..... If you ain't married to the Man anymore, then you have no excuse still using his name....many of the women you see still using their ex husband's name is probably because the husband's name has a lot of influence in many social and business circles and they wanna use it to their advantage.
If you divorce a man then nothing that concerns the man should be of your concern anymore except the children.
You should not use his name neither should you worry about his money....

Can she then change the kids surname to hers? shocked

Once she officially takes on her spouse’s name, it becomes HER name...
When parents officially disown grown kids, the kids are still entitled to the family name.
>
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Stephenomozzy(m): 6:08am On May 08, 2021
When there's a fountain of knowledge before you, it is an aberration for you to second guess. I'm inviting you to join today's broadcast of WORD ENCOUNTER!!

THE SEVEN LAST PLAGUES.
*Youtube* -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51b5WG1kz6k
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Tzar(m): 6:10am On May 08, 2021
I disagree with you. I am divorced and my ex wife has changed her name back to her maiden name as requested by me.
It only makes logical sense. The kids have nothing to do with the name chage that should come with severing the legal bond you have with your ex spouse.
If the man doesn’t mind, there is no issues, but if he does... why not? If you ain’t still obsessed with the man, you should gladly do a name change back to your maiden name. That makes the divorce a clean cut.

9jaRealist:

Has NOTHING to do with “getting under the skin” of some dude you are leaving - that’s just MISOGYNISTIC thinking...
The name and marriage is part and parcel of your life, and if you have kids with the dude you will all be sharing the SAME surname.
>

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by 9jaRealist: 6:11am On May 08, 2021
Vulcanheph:

That is why the OGs like Donald Trump always insist on PRENUPTIAL.

Depends on state law...

States like California (and other “community property” states), a pre-nup would usually only protect wealth PRIOR to the marriage. Even in other states, some courts may throw out a pre-nup if the court depending on different factual circumstances.
>

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by 9jaRealist: 6:16am On May 08, 2021
Tzar:
I disagree with you. I am divorced and my ex wife has changed her name back to her maiden name as requested by me.
It only makes logical sense. The kids have nothing to do with the name chage that should come with severing the legal bond you have with your ex spouse.
If the man doesn’t mind, there is no issues, but if he does... why not? If you ain’t still obsessed with the man, you should gladly do a name change back to your maiden name. That makes the divorce a clean cut.

It’s HER PERSONAL CHOICE...

You couldn’t have compelled her to...
Once taken, it legally becomes HER NAME.

PS: If you have kids, why wouldn’t you want to share the same surname?
It’s egoistic (or simply misogynistic) to think it’s all about you. But likely you had a relatively short marriage.
>

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by bewla(m): 6:19am On May 08, 2021
budaatum:
No it is not legal to keep your ex-husband's name. You can dump his name with him or keep it if you want to. The choice is entirely your's.
Fatia Balogun comes to mind
Or better still add yours in between like Ayishat falade did

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Eric310890: 6:28am On May 08, 2021
Divorce is not the way out, marriage is not a contract. Make we try understand things before jumping in.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Alejobs: 6:28am On May 08, 2021
powerbank for laptop, over ten hours guaranteed and twenty hours possible. Increase your productivity and work when you like. Don't get mistaken for a Yahoo boy because of your generator noise
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by blazebaba(m): 6:30am On May 08, 2021
Is like asking if you can still bear ur father name after wedding..
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by illicit(m): 6:37am On May 08, 2021
Ask a divorce lawyer
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by PrinceMajestic: 6:52am On May 08, 2021
Dont ask questions like this. Devorce is never a good option once married
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 6:59am On May 08, 2021
mu2sa2:
I know lady who stopped the process of changing her surname to reflect her status as married. I praised her for that. It is totally unnecessary for a woman to drop her father's because of marriage. If her status changes again e.g following husband's death and remarriage she will have to go through another process of name change. My advice is keep your maiden name officially ( in documents).
Same here too
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by eyinjuege: 7:24am On May 08, 2021
If she likes the husband's surname for whatever reasons, she can still do a change of name from Mrs XYZ to Mz/Miss XYZ legally.
I doubt he can stop her from bearing any name she wants legally,provided she doesn't call herself his wife.
People change names for whatever reasons including religious beliefs or whatever eg from Egunwole to Oluwawole (Egun means masquerade while Oluwa means Owner of all/God).
I'm not sure why anyone will want to keep the name though, but to each his own.
I believe you can legally change your name to anything you want and those who bear that name cannot challenge you to court
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by sisisioge: 7:25am On May 08, 2021
Tzar:

Your ex probably had no investment on the name hence the reason she let go at your request as she honestly has no obligation under the law to do so. Take Mo Abudu for example, her ex even sued her at a point to stop using his name but she won in court. The name was hers to keep as she had been known with the name....imagine her changing to Mo Whatever now just because the husband says so...will he buy her brand identity, goodwill, age, popularity, etc back?

If she has no real attachment to it na to leave the name jejely jare. As for me, if I ever find myself divorced from my husband, we have kids together and I have no plans to remarry, I will probably hold on to the name. Why will I be Wura Adediwura when my kid is Ifeolua Adedayo? We sha remain Adedayo together biko.

4 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Dearlord(m): 7:35am On May 08, 2021
Do you still want to eat your cake and have it?
Hope you are not in another mission?
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by IYANGBALI: 7:35am On May 08, 2021
One4me:

What type is that one again?
i am going nowhere
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by eyinjuege: 7:39am On May 08, 2021
Seniorwriter:
How will you be legally divorced and still crave to share name when you can't share love? That's impossible!

@Seniorwriter

People want to bear a name for whatever reasons.
Perhaps she wants the same name as her children, perhaps she wants all the professionsl qualifications and documents she has to be in the same name etc.
She can legally change from Mrs Seniorwriter to Mz Seniorwriter.
It can be a nightmare at times with names.
I think abroad, they're still allowed to keep their marital names even or simply revert to their maiden nsmes
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by adolfHitler1934: 7:39am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
So I can't use it when filling forms such as job application forms, loan forms, property receipt, etc?
Are you a divorcee
No wonder you are like this....

Divorcee ladies are very terrible. Even when they enter into another marriage or relationship they are never stable. What chased them out from the first is always chasing them around.

The future is female my ass.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists / The Moment A Nigerian Mother Reunited With Her Children After 5 Years Apart / Man Arrested For Defiling His 9-year-old Daughter In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.