Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,437 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? (22731 Views)

Why Do Women Divorcees Still Bear Their Ex Husband's Name After Divorce / Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Yaks02(m): 1:13pm On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
I'm curious to know. Is it legal to keep your husband's name after a divorce?

Please lawyers in the house help a sister. I really want to know.

Na to just go run court affidavit of change of name...... Simple, all former documents remain valid
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by smallsmall: 5:56am On May 10, 2021
TheMan3:
so this has been the reason you have been shouting the future is female all along

Dont mind the low-budget wannabe Feminist.
I always wondered if it was a Man that made her run mental like this and turned her into a Man-hater, now l know.

1 Like

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by smallsmall: 6:14am On May 10, 2021
sisisioge:

Your ex probably had no investment on the name hence the reason she let go at your request as she honestly has no obligation under the law to do so. Take Mo Abudu for example, her ex even sued her at a point to stop using his name but she won in court. The name was hers to keep as she had been known with the name....imagine her changing to Mo Whatever now just because the husband says so...will he buy her brand identity, goodwill, age, popularity, etc back?

If she has no real attachment to it na to leave the name jejely jare. As for me, if I ever find myself divorced from my husband, we have kids together and I have no plans to remarry, I will probably hold on to the name. Why will I be Wura Adediwura when my kid is Ifeolua Adedayo? We sha remain Adedayo together biko.

So, like somebody explained earlier, what if the husband has remarried and has another women who is Mrs. Something, the same Mrs Something that the Ex-wife wants to cling to?
Can we then have two different women with the same identity, with regards to being the 'Mrs.' ?
Will that not cause issues, even if the Man should die or if say a Company makes a public announcement referring to a Mrs Something and the public will be wondering who is being referred to?

Naah, the 'Mo Abudu' case is even not exactly the same.
She is not bearing Mrs Mo Abudu, she cannot add that 'Mrs' to it otherwise, she will be impersonating the current wife of the Man.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by sisisioge: 6:27am On May 10, 2021
smallsmall:

So, like somebody explained earlier, what if the husband has remarried and has another women who is Mrs. Something, the same Mrs Something that the Ex-wife wants to cling to?
Can we then have two different women with the same identity, with regards to being the 'Mrs.' ?
Will that not cause issues, even if the Man should die or if say a Company makes a public announcement referring to a Mrs Something and the public will be wondering who is being referred to?

Naah, the 'Mo Abudu' case is even not exactly the same.
She is not bearing Mrs Mo Abudu, she cannot add that 'Mrs' to it otherwise, she will be impersonating the current wife of the Man.

You asked and answer the question by yourself. The old wife will become Ms. Mo Abudu and the new wife will become Mrs Evelyn Abudu. Except Mr. Abudu is as crazy as my ex whose present gf is my namesake, the chances of confusion is really slim grin.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by smallsmall: 2:34pm On May 11, 2021
Tzar:
Ideally? No, the woman simply does a name change just like she diid when she was married and wanted to change her maiden name.
But, technically you can if you want to get under the skin of the man. Since he doesn’t have copyright to the name, you can officially file for a name change to his surname...

You dont know what you are saying or you are just confused.
The issue is not about whether anyone cannot bear any name, that one is given.
It becomes a different ball game, when you put "Mrs" behind that name.
That signifies you are married to a Man called by that name and the man is your husband.
If the above is false, as it becomes after divorce, then you can be charged for impersonation or identity theft.

"Mrs." is not somebody's name and no one can claim it, just by itself, as their name, .... it is a Title conferred by Marriage, to some Man.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by smallsmall: 2:39pm On May 11, 2021
sisisioge:

You asked and answer the question by yourself. The old wife will become Ms. Mo Abudu and the new wife will become Mrs Evelyn Abudu. Except Mr. Abudu is as crazy as my ex whose present gf is my namesake, the chances of confusion is really slim grin.

Ms. is not the same thing as Mrs.
Since you accept that, it is settled. What ex-wife cannot do is retain the name as it was, when she was married to the Man (Mrs. Mo Abudu)
The ex-wife just becomes one of the anonymous "Abudus" of the Universe. grin
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by budaatum: 2:46pm On May 11, 2021
smallsmall:

Ms. is not the same thing as Mrs.
Since you accept that, it is settled. What ex-wife cannot do is retain the name as it was, when she was married to the Man (Mrs. Mo Abudu)
The ex-wife just becomes one of the anonymous "Abudus" of the Universe. grin

There are numerous posts in this thread alone about divorced women still bearing their ex-husband's name or still using Mrs after they have divorced and no one has arrested any of them for it, so stop saying people can not do what they already do and have done for decades!

How you see them, anonymous or not, is of no significance to anyone.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by smallsmall: 2:35pm On May 13, 2021
budaatum:

There are numerous posts in this thread alone about divorced women still bearing their ex-husband's name or still using Mrs after they have divorced and no one has arrested any of them for it, so stop saying people can not do what they already do and have done for decades!

How you see them, anonymous or not, is of no significance to anyone.

You have a B.I.G comprehension problem! shocked undecided undecided
Who said there aren't millions of women still freely using the names of their ex-husband?
Who said they have all been arrested?

I love a good discuss but l wont waste a calorie on someone who cant grasp a single line of code: Most Husbands dont mind, especially if they are not remarrying legally and as long as the divorced wife uses Ms. behind it and not Mrs. .
(At least the husband of Mo Abudu did not take it kindly, hence their going to court over it). undecided undecided
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by budaatum: 2:40pm On May 13, 2021
You have a smallsmall comprehension problem. That's why you'd think your opinion of me would matter to me.

smallsmall:

You have a B.I.G comprehension problem! shocked grin grin
Who said there aren't millions of women still freely using the names of their ex-husband?
Who said they have all been arrested?

I love a good discuss but l wont waste a calorie on someone who cant grasp a single line of code: Most Husbands dont mind, especially if they are not remarrying legally and as long as the divorced wife uses Ms. behind it and not Mrs. .
(At least the husband of Mo Abudu did not take it kindly, hence their going to court over it). undecided undecided
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Tzar(m): 5:15pm On May 13, 2021
I honestly didn’t understand a thing you wrote too.
As per being confused, I do not think I am. Maybe you didn’t understand me too (you don’t have to).
Unless you are divorced like I am, I wrote from the point of experience.
Most men mind, but some just choose to let sleeping dogs lie as usual. The man gave her his surname through marriage, why should she keep it after the marriage ends?
The men who do not ask for name change are just avoiding the bitter response they will usually get from most women that are always ready to fight dirty after a divorce.

smallsmall:

You dont know what you are saying or you are just confused.
The issue is not about whether anyone cannot bear any name, that one is given.
It becomes a different ball game, when you put "Mrs" behind that name.
That signifies you are married to a Man called by that name and the man is your husband.
If the above is false, as it becomes after divorce, then you can be charged for impersonation or identity theft.

"Mrs." is not somebody's name and no one can claim it, just by itself, as their name, .... it is a Title conferred by Marriage, to some Man.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by One4me: 2:30am On May 21, 2021
Tzar:
I honestly didn’t understand a thing you wrote too.
As per being confused, I do not think I am. Maybe you didn’t understand me too (you don’t have to).
Unless you are divorced like I am, I wrote from the point of experience.
Most men mind, but some just choose to let sleeping dogs lie as usual. The man gave her his surname through marriage, why should she keep it after the marriage ends?
The men who do not ask for name change are just avoiding the bitter response they will usually get from most women that are always ready to fight dirty after a divorce.

The bolded above, is what l wrote, ............. Women should not hold to the husband's name, even challenging it in court, if he tries to retrieve his name, after they had been divorce.
Same, same!
Problem is most men, especially those who have finance issues after divorce (most do), and who fall into unstable relationships, again, due to financial instability (especially abroad, as they have to pay a lot to maintain the woman, who now sees the ex-husband as her ATM to lavish lifestyle)... just "take-in another woman" without going the whole hog of a legal marriage and insisting the ex-wife stop using their surname (so the new wife can now assume the role of the "Mrs" Surname), moreso if she is not legally married to another husband but just bringing different men to bed, as the year go by. Ofcourse, most Men tangling with such women just want to have a bite of her cushie, they are not interested in adding her baggage to their life. Chop and Clean mouth Men grin

Only a few men re-marry legally and then pursue the name change to the last bus-stop, though at that point, most men just want to do everything to avoid the trauma of their ex-wife and if looking the other way to her still clinging to their surname is all it takes, most will give up on it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists / The Moment A Nigerian Mother Reunited With Her Children After 5 Years Apart / Man Arrested For Defiling His 9-year-old Daughter In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.