Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue (24454 Views)

2023 Presidency: Jonathan Meets With Southern Coordinators / Gov. Umahi Disagrees With Southern Governors, Insists FG Should Collect VAT / Abba Kyari: Miyetti Allah Accuses FBI Of Conniving With Southern Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:14am On May 14, 2021
By Tonye Barcanista

On Tuesday, governors of southern states under the umbrella of Southern Nigeria Governors Forum, SNGF, met in Asaba, the capital of Delta state at the instance of Chief Rotimi Akeredolu, the Governor of Ondo state and Chairman of Southwest Governors Forum; Senator Ifeanyi Okowa, the Governor of Delta state and Chairman of Southsouth Governors Forum; and Engr. David Umahi, the Governor of Ebonyi state and Southeast Governors Forum chairman.

The meeting, which had in attendance 15 Governors from the 17 southern states, including, Chief Rotimi Akeredolu (Ondo), Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu), Babajide Sanwoolu (Lagos), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), Hope Uzodinma (Imo), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia), Douye Diri (Bayelsa), Godwin Obaseki (Edo), David Umahi (Ebonyi), Dapo Abiodun (Ogun) and Willie Obiano of Anambra state, was to address the lingering economic, insecurity and other issues confronting the southern Nigeria region.

At the end of the meeting, the Governors, among other resolution, appealed the President Muhammadu Buhari to review the appointments of service chiefs and other officers of government to reflect fair representation and banned open grazing of cattle across the seventeen states in southern Nigeria. The Governors also appealed to the President Buhari to convoke a National Dialogue to address the rising ethnic tensions and other associated issues bedevilling the country.

While I concede that the Governors did well for taking collective decisions on several national issues, especially with respect to the ban on open grazing and the call on the President to revisit his sectional appointments, I am of the opinion that their call for National Dialogue is highly unnecessary as it would lead to another round of wastage of scarce resources and time, and would end up as another talk shop just like others before.

Four National Conferences, Zero Improvement
Since the year 1942, Nigeria has had different National conferences where people, acting on behalf of their various constituencies without mandate of those they claim to represent, would gather themselves discuss and reach resolutions- without subjecting their resolutions to the people through referendum to test whether they meet the yearnings and demands of the people they claim to represent. Worse still, the resolutions of these delegates are either left to rot in the shelf of the government in power or the government would appoint a committee to look into the report; which will lead to its natural death altogether.

The first national conference that was held for the "Nigerian people" was the Lanchester House Constitutional Conference. This conference, was held in London, United Kingdom and which gave birth to the Constitution of Nigeria at independence, had political leaders and other elites as delegates without subjecting themselves to being selected by the people of Nigeria. Resolutions were reached by these delegates, which formed the basis for our pre independent constitution. The problem with that conference was that the people of Nigeria were not allowed to have a say on those to represent their ethnic nationalities, and they were also denied of the privilege of deciding (through referendum) whether or not the resolutions of the conference met their expectations as a people or represent their interests.

Between the year 1994 and 1995, there was a constitutional conference that was convoked by General Sani Abacha, the then military head of state. The conference was to address the issues in the country with respect to several agitations, and propose appropriate solutions. Abacha's military administration appointed about 96 delegates to represent the government to the conference, while others were elected along state delineation rather than ethnic nationalities. The conference gulped a lot of resources, resolutions and recommendations were reached. The conference reports were handed over to Abacha, who arrogated himself the power to have the final say rather than subject it to the Nigerian people to decide through referendum whether or not its content was acceptable.

In 2005, the government of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo okayed another round of constitutional conference to still discuss the issues of Nigeria that has lingered since pre independence. The then President alongside other 36 states governors, singlehandedly picked the 400 persons to serve as delegates to the conference to represent over 120 million people without the input of the people. The conference wasted another round of money and made resolutions. As usual, the people of Nigeria and all ethnic nationalities were denied the right to affirm or reject the content of the resolutions through a simple referendum. Instead, the conference report was handed to President Obasanjo without recourse to the people they claimed to represent, who in turn condemned it to a shelf in his presidential office.

In 2014, the administration of Goodluck Jonathan announced convocation of National conference. Just like its predecessor conferences, Jonathan's government alongside 36 state governors singlehandedly picked delegates for the conference without recourse to the people of Nigeria, who they claim to represent. As usual, the resolutions of the conference was not subjected to the approval or disapproval of the Nigerian people. Instead, it was handed over to President Goodluck Jonathan, who in turn appointed a committee to advice on implementation leading to its natural death.

Considering the aforementioned, it is right to say that the call on President Buhari for a convocation of National Dialogue Conference by the Southern Governors is tantamount to repeating the same thing and expecting different outcome.

The only conference that will lead to solution of the problems of Nigeria is the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference of ethnic nationalities. This conference should have the various ethnic nations in Nigeria electing their delegates, it should be a 'no hold barred' summit, and resolutions be subject to referendum in each of the ethnic nations. Other than this, we will continue on our wild goose chase without any end. Despite that the call for a conference with sovereign status has been advocated by numerous stakeholders across the 250 ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria in the last four decades, successive governments, political leaders and other elites that are benefitting from the incumbent unfavorable system have consistently ignored it.

Conclusively, every unbiased and sane mind will agree that Nigeria's problem is structural. The various ethnic nationalities and the citizens don't see themselves as stakeholders in the country because they were neither consulted nor did they play any part in the process that led to the creation and promulgation of the 1999 Constitution, and only a Sovereign National Conference can usher solution.

May God bless us all and bless Nigeria.

Tonye Barcanista is a political commentator and analyst, he writes from Abuja.

tonyebarcanista@gmail.com

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by donbachi(m): 9:30am On May 14, 2021
Waste of money and time..they should implement the one held during goodluck's time.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Blackfire(m): 9:38am On May 14, 2021
I like your write up...

But we all know you are an unstable person

6 years

130 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:39am On May 14, 2021
donbachi:
Waste of money and time..they should implement the one held during goodluck's time.
While the one done during Goodluck may appear as good especially with respect to what we currently have, it still fell below expectation.

The conference didn't conclude on the issue of derivatives, the conference's delegates were not elected by the various ethnic nationalities but by the President and his governors, the handpicked conference delegates were along state delineation rather than ethnic nationalities, the conference report cannot be said to be different from other legal documents because it didn't pass through a referendum etc.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Sakamaje: 9:45am On May 14, 2021
If na National conference be the way forward, no need organising another jamboree with taxpayers money. They should dust up the report from the one GEJ organized, and implement its recommendations. Kapish.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ipobvsdss: 9:49am On May 14, 2021
a masterpiece
Blackfire:
I like your write up...

But we all know you are an unstable person

6 years
people like you are the real problem. Dis is what you can come up with after reading this piece.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ProfAmaben(m): 9:54am On May 14, 2021
The South is gradually waking up. You benefit nothing being enmeshed with leeches and parasites.

How many Fulani and Hausa billionaires would be millionaires today if not for Oil money that they steal without caution or remorse?

The South is very docile and have allowed this evil happen over decades. Today, Oil has drastically lost its value and the South could have been a magnificent edifice without the parasites and Almajiri Muhammad head slamming pedophiles.

Let's practice true federalism where everyone is equal and respected, where there's fairness and justice. This country is currently overloading it's scarce resources by employing hundreds of Almajiri from Katsina into all sensitive parts of government MDA's and are massively paid for doing nothing via the South's wealth.

Those that earn 200k plus in Nasrda, DPR, EFCC, NHIS etc, what are they doing there? How can Nasrda have over 4000+ staff and recently recruited over 1k people this January?

Breakdown of excessive staffing for just a year:
1000 new recruits in Nasrda level 7 @ 197k a month = 197 million naira * 12 = 2.64 billion naira shocked a year paid to people for doing absolutely nothing. Let's not talk about their bonuses, pension, gratuity etc.

Imagine employing 200 people in DPR from Katsina level 07 @ 370k monthly for a year, that's 880 million naira annually without 13th month salary.
Nigeria is truly finished and would keep paying recurrent expenditure over what doesn't benefit the nation in any shape or form.

This is how the Hausa Fulani is impoverishing Nigeria and empowering terrorists to keep oppressing the South, imagine how many are being employed on a daily basis to waste Nigeria's scarce resources??

80 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by SouthSouth1914: 9:55am On May 14, 2021
Dialogue, No! Disint3grate, No! Improve on social amenities with a focal point on the 6- geopolitical zones, No! This government has decided to stick to one sided, lopsided instrumentation on appointments!

Whatever their collective plans for the entire country is already laid bare by the utterances and actions of some elements calling themselves bloodsuckers!! But there is no monopoly of violence!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:55am On May 14, 2021
In 2014, the administration of Goodluck Jonathan announced convocation of National conference. Just like its predecessor conferences, Jonathan's government alongside 36 state governors singlehandedly picked delegates for the conference without recourse to the people of Nigeria, who they claim to represent. As usual, the resolutions of the conference was not subjected to the approval or disapproval of the Nigerian people. Instead, it was handed over to President Goodluck Jonathan, who in turn appointed a committee to advice on implementation leading to its natural death.
All these National Dialogue is nothing but a waste of scare National resources.

Considering the aforementioned, it is right to say that the call on President Buhari for a convocation of National Dialogue Conference by the Southern Governors is tantamount to repeating the same thing and expecting different outcome.
Round pegs in a square hole.
It can and will never work.
This is so true.

The only conference that will lead to solution of the problems of Nigeria is the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference of ethnic nationalities. This conference should have the various ethnic nations in Nigeria electing their delegates, it should be a 'no hold barred' summit, and resolutions be subject to referendum in each of the ethnic nations. Other than this, we will continue on our wild goose chase without any end. Despite that the call for a conference with sovereign status has been advocated by numerous stakeholders across the 250 ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria in the last four decades, successive governments, political leaders and other elites that are benefitting from the incumbent unfavorable system have consistently ignored it.
SECONDED.
This is the absolute truth of the whole matter.

Conclusively, every unbiased and sane mind will agree that Nigeria's problem is structural.
The various ethnic nationalities and the citizens don't see themselves as stakeholders in the country because they were neither consulted nor did they play any part in the process that led to the creation and promulgation of the 1999 Constitution, and only a Sovereign National Conference can usher solution.
The truth of the whole matter is that Nigeria's problem is structural.

May God bless us all and bless Nigeria.
Wow!
Good to read this part from you.
Anyone that says God bless Nigeria will so be blessed.
And anyone that says otherwise, na dem sabi!

Very Good article Tonye.

We Rise!

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by godwinkessi: 9:55am On May 14, 2021
The first reasonable post by Barcanista grin grin
Barcanista is the most unstable political supporter I’ve seen! So anyone u say is good I support u, whenever u lose ur mind, I’ll just carry popcorn and be watching you!

Barcanista is talking about lefelendum grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by MEGA4BILLION(m): 9:55am On May 14, 2021
All this to avoid referendum.
Nigeria is an expired product (2014). We all know the attributes of an expired product.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by TooMuchStuff: 9:55am On May 14, 2021
Any national dialogue that has no Fanatical Fulani supremacist as the Chairman and secretary is seen as "notes from an infidel"
The GEJ confab of 2014 was the best in our recent history but because it was headed by a Nupe and Yoruba heads, the Danfodions would not like it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ifytrik(m): 9:55am On May 14, 2021
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by inoki247: 9:55am On May 14, 2021
okay
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ifytrik(m): 9:56am On May 14, 2021
Demidortp:
Reading
writing

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Abboki: 9:56am On May 14, 2021
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ichidodo: 9:56am On May 14, 2021
We need actions...Not this crap..Saint UGM, pray for us..

2 Likes

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Aboguede(m): 9:56am On May 14, 2021
grin
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by rawtouch: 9:56am On May 14, 2021
sad

let them dust all the past resolutions and begin to implement them
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by sanityofmind(m): 9:56am On May 14, 2021
hmmm...
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by dgang: 9:56am On May 14, 2021
Jacking
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by royalamour(m): 9:57am On May 14, 2021
I quite agree with you on this one @op.
It is going to be fruitless just like the others.

Below is the summary of the 2014 National Conference

Creation of 18 New States

2014 National Conference: Recommended the creation of 18 new states (three per geo-political zone).. Among them are Apa, Edu, Kainji, Katagum, Savannah, Amana, Gurara, Ghari, Etiti (South East zone), Aba, Adada, Njaba-Anim, Anioma, Orashi, Ogoja, Ijebu and New Oyo. Apart from the 18 proposed states, the Conference also recommended one new states for the South East to make the zone have equal number of states with the other zones except the North West which has seven. It also recommended that states willing to merge can also do so based on certain conditions.

2005: NPRC said 36 states structure is too expensive and that the situation will become worse given the number of requests for the creation of new states some of which would need to be met for the sake of peace and stability of the economy.

1994/1995 Constitutional Conference recommended the creation of 20 new states namely Gombe, Apa, Nasarawa, Hadejia, Tiga, Zamfara, Sardauna, Katagum, Ghari, Kainji, Bayelsa, Orashi, Anioma, Ekiti, Ebonyi, New Oyo, Ogoja, Itai, Ijebu-Remo and Rivers East. Some of the states have since been created.

Resource Control/Derivation Principle/Fiscal Federalism

2014 NC: The Conference noted that assigning percentage for the increase in derivation principle, and setting up Special Intervention Funds to address issues of reconstruction and rehabilitation of areas ravaged by insurgency and internal conflicts as well as solid minerals development, require some technical details and consideration. The Conference therefore recommends that Government should set up a Technical Committee to determine the appropriate percentage on the three issues and advise government accordingly.

2005 NPRC: Recommended an increase in the level of derivation from the present 13% to 17% in the interim pending the report of the expert commission. Massive and urgent programme of development of infrastructure and human resources of the Niger Delta should be embarked upon by the Federal Government.

1994/1995 CC: It said in determining the formula, the National Assembly shall take into account allocation principles especially those of population, equality of states, internal revenue generation, land mass, terrain as well as population density provided that the principle of Derivation shall be constantly reflected in any approved formula as being not less than 13% of the Revenue accruing to the Federation Account directly.

The various mineral resources should be controlled and managed by the Government of the Federation through an arrangement which involves Oil Producing States and Communities, in particular, the rights and privileges which the Mineral and Mining Act of 1999 confers on States, Local Governments, Communities and land owners should equally be extended to the case of petroleum resources

Public Finance/Revenue Allocation

2014: That the sharing of the funds to the Federation Account among the three tiers of government should be done in the following manner: Federal Government – 42.5%, State Governments – 35% and Local Governments 22.5%.

That the percentage given to population and equality of states in the existing sharing formula be reduced while that assigned to Social Development sector be increased to a much higher percentage so as to ensure accelerated development of all parts of the country.

2005 NPRC: No specific recommendation, but advised that the number of local government in a state should not count as a criterion for revenue allocation

1994/1995 Constitutional Conference: The National Assembly shall determine the Revenue Allocation Formula which formula shall each time remain in force for a period of not less than five years from the day the bill shall be assented to by the president.

Forms of Government

2014 NC: Recommended the Modified Presidential System, a home-made model of government that effectively combines the presidential and parliamentary systems of government.

The president shall pick the vice president from the Legislature.

The President should select not more than 18 ministers from the six geo -political zones and not more than 30% of his ministers from outside the Legislature. Reduce Cost of governance by pruning the number of political appointees and using staff of ministries where necessary.

2005 NPRC:
The Conference recommended the retention of Presidential System of Government.

The number of ministries at the centre should be reduced to between 15 and 18 and to a maximum of 10 at the state level. Similarly, appointment of Special Advisers should be pegged to six and not more than three at the state level. Appointment of special assistants should be made from within the public service.

1994/1995: Recommended presidential system and federalism.

Legislature

2014 National Conference: Bi-cameral legislature, but all elected members of the legislative arms of all the tiers of government should serve on part-time basis

Power Sharing/Rotation

2014 NC: Recommended that the presidential power should rotate between the North and the South and among the six geo-political zones while the governorship will rotate among the three senatorial districts in a state.

2005 NPRC: The principle of power rotation should be enshrined in the Constitution so that executive positions rotate at federal, state and local governments. The office of the president, governors and local government should rotate in such a way that all the geo-political zones in the federation, states, local governments, as the case may be should have a chance to produce a president, governor and local government. It should not however be included in the constitution because of the emotive nature of the issue.

There should be legislation by the National Assembly to ensure that the office of the president should rotate between the north and the south as well as amongst the geo-political zones of the country on the basis of equity, justice and fairness. The principle should be applicable to states and local government on senatorial basis for the governorship and at ward or district for the position of chairman of LGs.

1994/1995 CC: Rotational Presidency should be enshrined in the Constitution. The same logic should apply to rotation of the governors and chairmen of LGs. It recommended multiple vice presidents with a way to ensure that at least one comes from the same zone as the president.

Local Government

2014 NC: Local Government will no longer be the third tier of government. The federal and states are now to be the only tiers of government. States can now create as many local governments they want. The Joint State/Local Government Account be scrapped and in its place the establishment of a State RMAFC with representatives of LG and a Chairman nominated by the Governor. The Constitution should fix the tenure for Local Government Councils at three years. Conference recommends the scrapping of State Independent Electoral Commission, SIECs.

2005 NPRC: The Conference retained three levels of government comprising federal, state and local government councils

1994/1995 CC: The Local government shall be a third tier of government in Nigeria, but in order to save costs, a local government council shall consist of the Chairman, Vice Chairman and elected Councillors without a legislative arms.

Each State shall maintain a special account to be called “State Joint Local Government Account” into which shall be paid all allocations to the Local government councils of the state from the Federation Account. State Houses of Assembly to create local governments and the life of local government officials will be three years.

Immunity Clause

2014: The immunity clause should be removed if the offences attract criminal charges to encourage accountability by those managing the economy.

2005 NPRC: Recommended that immunity clause as enshrined in Section 308 should be amended to remove immunity provision for crimes bothering on corrupt practices, economic and financial crimes and other serious offences such as suicide and murder.

Independent Candidacy

2014 NC: It recommended that every Nigerian who meets the specified condition in the Electoral Act should be free to contest elections as an independent candidate.

2005 NPRC: Recommended the recognition of Independent candidate in election

1994/1995: The Conference recommended that Independent Candidature should be recognized and should be in the constitution

Governance

2014 NC: The creation of the office of the Accountant General (Director-General) of the Federation as a distinct and separate office from the Office of the Accountant General of the Federal Government. The Office of the Accountant General of the Federation shall oversee the accruals of revenue into and disbursement from the Federation Account as and when due; and shall administer these funds as required by the Constitution, while the office of the Accountant General of the Federal Government shall oversee the accounts of the Federal Government.

2005: Separation of the offices of the Attorney General and Minister of Justice. The Attorney General for the Federation shall be appointed by the President for a single term of six years subject to the confirmation by the Senate

Anti-corruption:

2014: A Special Courts to handle corruption cases should be established in the light of undue prolongation in the trials and prosecution of corruption cases in the regular courts. A non-conviction-based asset forfeiture law should be enacted with broad provisions to deal with all issues of proceeds of crimes by the anti-graft agencies and the courts.

2005: Special Courts should be set up for prosecution of cases emanating from corrupt practices and such cases should not last more than 90 days. Secondly, it recommended that the authorities should Investigate and confiscate corruptly acquired wealth of past rulers and bring them to justice.
Re-introduction of the War Against Corruption and EFCC and Code of Conduct should be made members of Screening Committees at all levels of government to screen all candidates aspiring to political office before elections

Land Tenure Act

2014 NC: The Land Tenure Act should remain in the Constitution but be amended to take care of those concerns, particularly on compensation in Section 29 (4) of the Act to read “land owners should determine the price and value of their land based on open market value

2005 NPRC:

1994/1995 CC: Recommended that the Land Use Decree should be reviewed in line with the recommendations made by the Nigeria Law Reform Commission in 1991. It rejected the suggestion that the law should be completely abrogated.

National Anthem

2014 NC: Re-introduce the old National Anthem

Religion

2104 NC: The Conference recommended that there will be no government sponsorship of Christian and Muslim pilgrimages to the holy lands. It also resolved that churches and mosques should begin to pay tax to government.

Source: Premium Times

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Remember1313: 9:57am On May 14, 2021
Yes
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Starships4u(m): 9:57am On May 14, 2021
After reading through, I agree with yhu.

Most of these governor's are "wolves in sheep's clothing"

Seeing a particular state governor there makes me believe the whole exercise is a script.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by vengertime: 9:57am On May 14, 2021
In that case

Every region should have their own Unknown gunmen that's the only thing that will shake politicians
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by triple996(m): 9:58am On May 14, 2021
Ok wooo
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by katlynf73: 9:58am On May 14, 2021
cool
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by BruncleZuma: 9:58am On May 14, 2021
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tambuwal Takes Over From Fayemi As NGF Chairman / FG To Streamline Taxes From 52 To 10 / Notorious Bandit Leader Who Got N130 Million As Ransom Killed In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.