Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,870 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue (24471 Views)

2023 Presidency: Jonathan Meets With Southern Coordinators / Gov. Umahi Disagrees With Southern Governors, Insists FG Should Collect VAT / Abba Kyari: Miyetti Allah Accuses FBI Of Conniving With Southern Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ProfAmaben(m): 11:16am On May 14, 2021
ogwumgbe:

Give us the low down of the key appointments in this administration from Military down to Prison, I want to see it. You people should just go your way , enough is enough, we are done

Would be a dream come true. More development for us. Cheers!!!!!
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by funkekemi(f): 11:25am On May 14, 2021
Blackfire:
I like your write up...

But we all know you are an unstable person

6 years
only newbies on nairaland will take this guy serious ,I have this feeling he is looking for attention and highest bidder ... electioneering is fast approaching and he is out
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by funkekemi(f): 11:30am On May 14, 2021
Starships4u:
After reading through, I agree with yhu.

Most of these governor's are "wolves in sheep's clothing"

Seeing a particular state governor there makes me believe the whole exercise is a script.
Lagos state governor
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Blankstare(m): 11:31am On May 14, 2021
UltimateSpice:
Convoking sovereign national conference is not a tea party as some people think.

It will negate the national assembly and subvert the existing Constitution.

Who will convoke the sovereign conference? Does the President have the power? Can the national assembly do it?

It is a dicey situation.

The president can, he has the power
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by meolaniyi(m): 11:34am On May 14, 2021
Blackfire:
I like your write up...

But we all know you are an unstable person my brother that guy is very unstable. He joined APC because money

6 years
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by executive12: 11:37am On May 14, 2021
Excellent article. I don't think that any government in power will allow convocation of a sovereign national conference. The way I see it, the restructuring of Nigeria can only be achieved through another civil war.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Dikaveli(m): 11:41am On May 14, 2021
Hope uzodimma bleached to the extent that you will even notice him from aero plane �
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by writeprof(m): 11:42am On May 14, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:
By Tonye Barcanista

On Tuesday, governors of southern states under the umbrella of Southern Nigeria Governors Forum, SNGF, met in Asaba, the capital of Delta state at the instance of Chief Rotimi Akeredolu, the Governor of Ondo state and Chairman of Southwest Governors Forum; Senator Ifeanyi Okowa, the Governor of Delta state and Chairman of Southsouth Governors Forum; and Engr. David Umahi, the Governor of Ebonyi state and Southeast Governors Forum chairman.

The meeting, which had in attendance 15 Governors from the 17 southern states, including, Chief Rotimi Akeredolu (Ondo), Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu), Babajide Sanwoolu (Lagos), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), Hope Uzodinma (Imo), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia), Douye Diri (Bayelsa), Godwin Obaseki (Edo), David Umahi (Ebonyi), Dapo Abiodun (Ogun) and Willie Obiano of Anambra state, was to address the lingering economic, insecurity and other issues confronting the southern Nigeria region.

At the end of the meeting, the Governors, among other resolution, appealed the President Muhammadu Buhari to review the appointments of service chiefs and other officers of government to reflect fair representation and banned open grazing of cattle across the seventeen states in southern Nigeria. The Governors also appealed to the President Buhari to convoke a National Dialogue to address the rising ethnic tensions and other associated issues bedevilling the country.

While I concede that the Governors did well for taking collective decisions on several national issues, especially with respect to the ban on open grazing and the call on the President to revisit his sectional appointments, I am of the opinion that their call for National Dialogue is highly unnecessary as it would lead to another round of wastage of scarce resources and time, and would end up as another talk shop just like others before.

Four National Conferences, Zero Improvement
Since the year 1942, Nigeria has had different National conferences where people, acting on behalf of their various constituencies without mandate of those they claim to represent, would gather themselves discuss and reach resolutions- without subjecting their resolutions to the people through referendum to test whether they meet the yearnings and demands of the people they claim to represent. Worse still, the resolutions of these delegates are either left to rot in the shelf of the government in power or the government would appoint a committee to look into the report; which will lead to its natural death altogether.

The first national conference that was held for the "Nigerian people" was the Lanchester House Constitutional Conference. This conference, was held in London, United Kingdom and which gave birth to the Constitution of Nigeria at independence, had political leaders and other elites as delegates without subjecting themselves to being selected by the people of Nigeria. Resolutions were reached by these delegates, which formed the basis for our pre independent constitution. The problem with that conference was that the people of Nigeria were not allowed to have a say on those to represent their ethnic nationalities, and they were also denied of the privilege of deciding (through referendum) whether or not the resolutions of the conference met their expectations as a people or represent their interests.

Between the year 1994 and 1995, there was a constitutional conference that was convoked by General Sani Abacha, the then military head of state. The conference was to address the issues in the country with respect to several agitations, and propose appropriate solutions. Abacha's military administration appointed about 96 delegates to represent the government to the conference, while others were elected along state delineation rather than ethnic nationalities. The conference gulped a lot of resources, resolutions and recommendations were reached. The conference reports were handed over to Abacha, who arrogated himself the power to have the final say rather than subject it to the Nigerian people to decide through referendum whether or not its content was acceptable.

In 2005, the government of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo okayed another round of constitutional conference to still discuss the issues of Nigeria that has lingered since pre independence. The then President alongside other 36 states governors, singlehandedly picked the 400 persons to serve as delegates to the conference to represent over 120 million people without the input of the people. The conference wasted another round of money and made resolutions. As usual, the people of Nigeria and all ethnic nationalities were denied the right to affirm or reject the content of the resolutions through a simple referendum. Instead, the conference report was handed to President Obasanjo without recourse to the people they claimed to represent, who in turn condemned it to a shelf in his presidential office.

In 2014, the administration of Goodluck Jonathan announced convocation of National conference. Just like its predecessor conferences, Jonathan's government alongside 36 state governors singlehandedly picked delegates for the conference without recourse to the people of Nigeria, who they claim to represent. As usual, the resolutions of the conference was not subjected to the approval or disapproval of the Nigerian people. Instead, it was handed over to President Goodluck Jonathan, who in turn appointed a committee to advice on implementation leading to its natural death.

Considering the aforementioned, it is right to say that the call on President Buhari for a convocation of National Dialogue Conference by the Southern Governors is tantamount to repeating the same thing and expecting different outcome.

The only conference that will lead to solution of the problems of Nigeria is the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference of ethnic nationalities. This conference should have the various ethnic nations in Nigeria electing their delegates, it should be a 'no hold barred' summit, and resolutions be subject to referendum in each of the ethnic nations. Other than this, we will continue on our wild goose chase without any end. Despite that the call for a conference with sovereign status has been advocated by numerous stakeholders across the 250 ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria in the last four decades, successive governments, political leaders and other elites that are benefitting from the incumbent unfavorable system have consistently ignored it.

Conclusively, every unbiased and sane mind will agree that Nigeria's problem is structural. The various ethnic nationalities and the citizens don't see themselves as stakeholders in the country because they were neither consulted nor did they play any part in the process that led to the creation and promulgation of the 1999 Constitution, and only a Sovereign National Conference can usher solution.

May God bless us all and bless Nigeria.

Tonye Barcanista is a political commentator and analyst, he writes from Abuja.

tonyebarcanista@gmail.com

1000% ✓ NIGERIANS are yet to have TRUE representatives as POLITICIANS after the end of the first Republic. This reason and yours are why Senate President, Ahmed Lawan's statement make sense to me even though I am aware of the hypocrisy within it- I have not read of Lawan responding to the killings going on in the country. Pot cannot call kettle black. May God help Nigeria.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by emmadothings(m): 11:45am On May 14, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

While the one done during Goodluck may appear as good especially with respect to what we currently have, it still fell below expectation.

The conference didn't conclude on the issue of derivatives, the conference's delegates were not elected by the various ethnic nationalities but by the President and his governors, the handpicked conference delegates were along state delineation rather than ethnic nationalities, the conference report cannot be said to be different from other legal documents because it didn't pass through a referendum etc.

The country would have been in war if the one sided selective conference had been implemented....
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by christistruth01: 11:45am On May 14, 2021
donbachi:
Waste of money and time..they should implement the one held during goodluck's time.

It is so wrong that GEJ didn't implement the National Constitutional Conference's recommendations but those enjoying Power didn't want to think of what could happen. if Power Shifted
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by christistruth01: 11:47am On May 14, 2021
emmadothings:

The country would have been in war if the one sided selective conference had been implemented....

There would have been no War once the People's elected representatives in the House of Assembly and the Senate had voted to adopt it
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by emmadothings(m): 11:48am On May 14, 2021
Sakamaje:
If na National conference be the way forward, no need organising another jamboree with taxpayers money. They should dust up the report from the one GEJ organized, and implement its recommendations. Kapish.
What do u know about the GEJ conference pls tell four things they concluded on and who represented your people
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by OfoIgbo: 12:14pm On May 14, 2021
donbachi:
Waste of money and time..they should implement the one held during goodluck's time.

God forbid that they should adopt GEJ's conference. It doesn't go far enough, and it builds on false foundation laid by the fraudulent 1999 constitution

Nigeria needs a sovereign national conference. Before the sovereign national conference, there should be ethnic conferences, where members of various ethnic groups adopt their ethnic constitutions. After these ethnic conferences and adoptions of ethnic nationalities constitutions, representatives from the various ethnic groups can then attend a sovereign national conference of all ethnic nationalities in the geographical space known as Nigeria, and all these reps must head to the SNC with their own individual ethnic constitutions.

One should be considered a member of an ethnic group, if the person shares the same language (65% similarity), and major aspects of the culture of that particular ethnic group. DNA can also play a part during dispute scenarios. So basically, if a village speaks Hausa as their first language and has Hausa culture, that village can't claim to be Yoruba. If they claim to be Yoruba, a DNA inspection can determine whether they have biological building blocks in common with the Yoruba or with the Hausa. No false tales of origin will suffice.

It is in the SNC that a federal constitution is put together, taking notice of all the federating units (ethnic nationalities) and their constitutions.
This federal constitution must have a clause that allows for referendums by each federating unit, just in case they may want to break away, if the terms of the federal constitution is being trampled upon by any domineering federating unit.

cc: Tonyebarcanista

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by udemzeus(m): 12:31pm On May 14, 2021
He is an aboki naaah, why won't they speak their mind
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ogwumgbe: 12:40pm On May 14, 2021
anigbajumo:

Lol, They av done that in the past and it failed. Nigeria is a country not a banana republic, u can't draft any resolution and think it will be implemented without passing through the Nass. It will never see the light of the day.

As long as the current situation is concerned, there's nothing like NASS, Nigeria is a fraudulent State governed by skewed constitution to favor few without due consultation of all parties involved just because they held the power. In other words we are governed by the constitution of dictatorial regime, and as long as this constitution still stands, Nigeria is not a democracy but a communist State. Even the way Niger Delta oil is shared among the States is pure communism. We need to overhaul the whole system and go back to the drawing board if Nigeria still want to remain one entity, other wise, to your tents oh Israel
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by nograv: 12:42pm On May 14, 2021
ProfAmaben:
The South is gradually waking up. You benefit nothing being enmeshed with leeches and parasites.

How many Fulani and Hausa billionaires would be millionaires today if not for Oil money that they steal without caution or remorse?

The South is very docile and have allowed this evil happen over decades. Today, Oil has drastically lost its value and the South could have been a magnificent edifice without the parasites and Almajiri Muhammad head slamming pedophiles.

Let's practice true federalism where everyone is equal and respected, where there's fairness and justice. This country is currently overloading it's scarce resources by employing hundreds of Almajiri from Katsina into all sensitive parts of government MDA's and are massively paid for doing nothing via the South's wealth.

Those that earn 200k plus in Nasrda, DPR, EFCC, NHIS etc, what are they doing there? How can Nasrda have over 4000+ staff and recently recruited over 1k people this January?

Breakdown of excessive staffing for just a year:
1000 new recruits in Nasrda level 7 @ 197k a month = 197 million naira * 12 = 2.64 billion naira shocked a year paid to people for doing absolutely nothing. Let's not talk about their bonuses, pension, gratuity etc.

Imagine employing 200 people in DPR from Katsina level 07 @ 370k monthly for a year, that's 880 million naira annually without 13th month salary.
Nigeria is truly finished and would keep paying recurrent expenditure over what doesn't benefit the nation in any shape or form.

This is how the Hausa Fulani is impoverishing Nigeria and empowering terrorists to keep oppressing the South, imagine how many are being employed on a daily basis to waste Nigeria's scarce resources??

Gbam, you havent told one lie, but when you explain these facts Northerners cry that you are a tribalist and hate Northerners mtchew...
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by SpellingBot: 1:00pm On May 14, 2021
ipobvsdss:
people like you are the real problem. Dis is what you can come up with after reading this piece.
...People....This......
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by anigbajumo(m): 1:09pm On May 14, 2021
ogwumgbe:

As long as the current situation is concerned, there's nothing like NASS, Nigeria is a fraudulent State governed by skewed constitution to favor few without due consultation of all parties involved just because they held the power. In other words we are governed by the constitution of dictatorial regime, and as long as this constitution still stands, Nigeria is not a democracy but a communist State. Even the way Niger Delta oil is shared among the States is pure communism. We need to overhaul the whole system and go back to the drawing board if Nigeria still want to remain one entity, other wise, to your tents oh Israel

My brother u are very right, But the fact is other nations and world leaders see Nigeria as a democratic country and the total overhauling u are saying won't come on a platform of gold, we need this NASS to be sincere to carry out all these things except u want coup which will not see the light of the day coz UN will interfere.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by DrSamOnowu87(m): 1:27pm On May 14, 2021
Why all these 4 national conference didn't work out is not because d president & state governors choosed d delegates or because it was not choosed along religious line but bcus d country is not one. Even if Angels came down 4rm heaven to convene,participate in it and adduce ideas,recommendations,proffer solution it will stil not work.
The only thing & d best thing that can work in dis country is d disintegration of this good for nothing country. The british government try penetrating d country throug the use of indirect rule but failed in some regions,they later introduce direct rule deceived d regions and then brought 3 different countries with different ideology, believe, culture,tradition, mentality together in order to exploit d huge human & natural resources in d land and left our politics in d hand of cow sperm produce/cow brain northerners.
The only solution remains sessession,dissolution,disintegration,break-up etc. Any other attempt is exercise in futility & will worsen d already worst situation.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by LZAA: 1:36pm On May 14, 2021
Tonye is so unstable grin grin grin
But the writeup make sense
Somebody please get rid of the dead vulture seller grin
Cc imhotep AfonjaConehead helinues Afamed bamite

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:43pm On May 14, 2021
OfoIgbo:

God forbid that they should adopt GEJ's conference. It doesn't go far enough, and it builds on false foundation laid by the fraudulent 1999 constitution

Nigeria needs a sovereign national conference. Before the sovereign national conference, there should be ethnic conferences, where members of various ethnic groups adopt their ethnic constitutions. After these ethnic conferences and adoptions of ethnic nationalities constitutions, representatives from the various ethnic groups can then attend a sovereign national conference of all ethnic nationalities in the geographical space known as Nigeria, and all these reps must head to the SNC with their own individual ethnic constitutions.

One should be considered a member of an ethnic group, if the person shares the same language (65% similarity), and major aspects of the culture of that particular ethnic group. DNA can also play a part during dispute scenarios. So basically, if a village speaks Hausa as their first language and has Hausa culture, that village can't claim to be Yoruba. If they claim to be Yoruba, a DNA inspection can determine whether they have biological building blocks in common with the Yoruba or with the Hausa. No false tales of origin will suffice.

It is in the SNC that a federal constitution is put together, taking notice of all the federating units (ethnic nationalities) and their constitutions.
This federal constitution must have a clause that allows for referendums by each federating unit, just in case they may want to break away, if the terms of the federal constitution is being trampled upon by any domineering federating unit.

cc: Tonyebarcanista
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by hansomb: 2:08pm On May 14, 2021
ProfAmaben:
The South is gradually waking up. You benefit nothing being enmeshed with leeches and parasites.

How many Fulani and Hausa billionaires would be millionaires today if not for Oil money that they steal without caution or remorse?

The South is very docile and have allowed this evil happen over decades. Today, Oil has drastically lost its value and the South could have been a magnificent edifice without the parasites and Almajiri Muhammad head slamming pedophiles.

Let's practice true federalism where everyone is equal and respected, where there's fairness and justice. This country is currently overloading it's scarce resources by employing hundreds of Almajiri from Katsina into all sensitive parts of government MDA's and are massively paid for doing nothing via the South's wealth.

Those that earn 200k plus in Nasrda, DPR, EFCC, NHIS etc, what are they doing there? How can Nasrda have over 4000+ staff and recently recruited over 1k people this January?

Breakdown of excessive staffing for just a year:
1000 new recruits in Nasrda level 7 @ 197k a month = 197 million naira * 12 = 2.64 billion naira shocked a year paid to people for doing absolutely nothing. Let's not talk about their bonuses, pension, gratuity etc.

Imagine employing 200 people in DPR from Katsina level 07 @ 370k monthly for a year, that's 880 million naira annually without 13th month salary.
Nigeria is truly finished and would keep paying recurrent expenditure over what doesn't benefit the nation in any shape or form.

This is how the Hausa Fulani is impoverishing Nigeria and empowering terrorists to keep oppressing the South, imagine how many are being employed on a daily basis to waste Nigeria's scarce resources??
Can't you air your opinion without abuses ? You trying to sound intelligent but unfortunately you not.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by orisa37: 2:09pm On May 14, 2021
THE GOVERNORS ARE JUST TEASING BUHARI. THEY ALL KNOW THAT HE IS INCAPABLE OF ORGANIZING AND MANAGING A NATIONAL CONFERENCE.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by orisa37: 2:12pm On May 14, 2021
THE GOVERNORS ARE JUST TEASING BUHARI. THEY ALL KNOW THAT HE IS INCAPABLE OF ORGANIZING AND MANAGING A NATIONAL CONFERENCE.

NATIONAL CONFERENCE IS OF UTMOST GOOD FAITH. WITH BOKOHARAM AND MACBAN, HIS HANDS CAN'T BE CLEAN.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by orisa37: 2:21pm On May 14, 2021
WE ARE NOT TALKING OF A CONFERENCE OF MACBAN BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT BUHARI WILL LAUNCH AND THEY'LL START SHOUTING ALLAH WAKU BAR.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ProfAmaben(m): 3:13pm On May 14, 2021
nograv:

Gbam, you havent told one lie, but when you explain these facts Northerners cry that you are a tribalist and hate Northerners mtchew...

They know that their game is up, nobody fears them or their weapons of oppression again. Do you know why the SE is being regarded again in Nigeria recently? No one is scared of the NPF or military over there again.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Scout60(m): 3:14pm On May 14, 2021
post=101678424:

All these National Dialogue is nothing but a waste of scare National resources.

Round pegs in a square hole.
It can and will never work.
This is so true.

SECONDED.
This is the absolute truth of the whole matter.

The truth of the whole matter is that Nigeria's problem is structural.

Wow!
Good to read this part from you.
Anyone that says God bless Nigeria will so be blessed.
And anyone that says otherwise, na dem sabi!

Very Good article Tonye.

We Rise!
You see what your mates are writing. Can you write one? Only to post nonsense on any thread. You see what is called political analyst without biase. Not you creating useless post up and down.

Anyway sha, who want to lose his job. Keep on collecting salary. It doesn't last

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Starships4u(m): 5:00pm On May 14, 2021
funkekemi:
Lagos state governor

My dear, I didn't mention names oh...
Hehe!
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by sweetgala(m): 5:07pm On May 14, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:
By Tonye Barcanista

On Tuesday, governors of southern states under the umbrella of Southern Nigeria Governors Forum, SNGF, met in Asaba, the capital of Delta state at the instance of Chief Rotimi Akeredolu, the Governor of Ondo state and Chairman of Southwest Governors Forum; Senator Ifeanyi Okowa, the Governor of Delta state and Chairman of Southsouth Governors Forum; and Engr. David Umahi, the Governor of Ebonyi state and Southeast Governors Forum chairman.

The meeting, which had in attendance 15 Governors from the 17 southern states, including, Chief Rotimi Akeredolu (Ondo), Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu), Babajide Sanwoolu (Lagos), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), Hope Uzodinma (Imo), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia), Douye Diri (Bayelsa), Godwin Obaseki (Edo), David Umahi (Ebonyi), Dapo Abiodun (Ogun) and Willie Obiano of Anambra state, was to address the lingering economic, insecurity and other issues confronting the southern Nigeria region.

At the end of the meeting, the Governors, among other resolution, appealed the President Muhammadu Buhari to review the appointments of service chiefs and other officers of government to reflect fair representation and banned open grazing of cattle across the seventeen states in southern Nigeria. The Governors also appealed to the President Buhari to convoke a National Dialogue to address the rising ethnic tensions and other associated issues bedevilling the country.

While I concede that the Governors did well for taking collective decisions on several national issues, especially with respect to the ban on open grazing and the call on the President to revisit his sectional appointments, I am of the opinion that their call for National Dialogue is highly unnecessary as it would lead to another round of wastage of scarce resources and time, and would end up as another talk shop just like others before.

Four National Conferences, Zero Improvement
Since the year 1942, Nigeria has had different National conferences where people, acting on behalf of their various constituencies without mandate of those they claim to represent, would gather themselves discuss and reach resolutions- without subjecting their resolutions to the people through referendum to test whether they meet the yearnings and demands of the people they claim to represent. Worse still, the resolutions of these delegates are either left to rot in the shelf of the government in power or the government would appoint a committee to look into the report; which will lead to its natural death altogether.

The first national conference that was held for the "Nigerian people" was the Lanchester House Constitutional Conference. This conference, was held in London, United Kingdom and which gave birth to the Constitution of Nigeria at independence, had political leaders and other elites as delegates without subjecting themselves to being selected by the people of Nigeria. Resolutions were reached by these delegates, which formed the basis for our pre independent constitution. The problem with that conference was that the people of Nigeria were not allowed to have a say on those to represent their ethnic nationalities, and they were also denied of the privilege of deciding (through referendum) whether or not the resolutions of the conference met their expectations as a people or represent their interests.

Between the year 1994 and 1995, there was a constitutional conference that was convoked by General Sani Abacha, the then military head of state. The conference was to address the issues in the country with respect to several agitations, and propose appropriate solutions. Abacha's military administration appointed about 96 delegates to represent the government to the conference, while others were elected along state delineation rather than ethnic nationalities. The conference gulped a lot of resources, resolutions and recommendations were reached. The conference reports were handed over to Abacha, who arrogated himself the power to have the final say rather than subject it to the Nigerian people to decide through referendum whether or not its content was acceptable.

In 2005, the government of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo okayed another round of constitutional conference to still discuss the issues of Nigeria that has lingered since pre independence. The then President alongside other 36 states governors, singlehandedly picked the 400 persons to serve as delegates to the conference to represent over 120 million people without the input of the people. The conference wasted another round of money and made resolutions. As usual, the people of Nigeria and all ethnic nationalities were denied the right to affirm or reject the content of the resolutions through a simple referendum. Instead, the conference report was handed to President Obasanjo without recourse to the people they claimed to represent, who in turn condemned it to a shelf in his presidential office.

In 2014, the administration of Goodluck Jonathan announced convocation of National conference. Just like its predecessor conferences, Jonathan's government alongside 36 state governors singlehandedly picked delegates for the conference without recourse to the people of Nigeria, who they claim to represent. As usual, the resolutions of the conference was not subjected to the approval or disapproval of the Nigerian people. Instead, it was handed over to President Goodluck Jonathan, who in turn appointed a committee to advice on implementation leading to its natural death.

Considering the aforementioned, it is right to say that the call on President Buhari for a convocation of National Dialogue Conference by the Southern Governors is tantamount to repeating the same thing and expecting different outcome.

The only conference that will lead to solution of the problems of Nigeria is the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference of ethnic nationalities. This conference should have the various ethnic nations in Nigeria electing their delegates, it should be a 'no hold barred' summit, and resolutions be subject to referendum in each of the ethnic nations. Other than this, we will continue on our wild goose chase without any end. Despite that the call for a conference with sovereign status has been advocated by numerous stakeholders across the 250 ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria in the last four decades, successive governments, political leaders and other elites that are benefitting from the incumbent unfavorable system have consistently ignored it.

Conclusively, every unbiased and sane mind will agree that Nigeria's problem is structural. The various ethnic nationalities and the citizens don't see themselves as stakeholders in the country because they were neither consulted nor did they play any part in the process that led to the creation and promulgation of the 1999 Constitution, and only a Sovereign National Conference can usher solution.

May God bless us all and bless Nigeria.

Tonye Barcanista is a political commentator and analyst, he writes from Abuja.

tonyebarcanista@gmail.com

Respectfully i disagree with your conclusion while being in complete agreement and reverence to your ability to give such a historical context to your argument something many fail to do and for which I may have been guilty myself.

The basis of my disagreement is in the conclusion that all our problems are fundamentally ethnic in nature and by convocation of a sovereign national conference representing all the 250 ethnic entities the issues would be resolved, i believe such a conclusion demeans us as a people and resolves we are banal.

What we need is to re-articulate what the problems are, bringing 250 individuals motivated by ethnic preconceptions to a table to make an argument would only result in the creation of problems that do not exist, the empowerment of the strong over the weak and dare I say the creation of more states when it is abundantly obvious the 36 we have are untenable.

Any decisions they make would be ethnic in nature and not fundamentally anchored on universal principles of human rights , freedom to the pursuit of happiness without treat to life.

We already have many conferences where documents have been created, done by technocrats, intelligentsia, political elite and many of the ethnic tendencies you now call upon did partake; between these many conferences and reports we can resolve the many flaws in our federation.

Convocation of an "ethnic national conference" would only magnify the chorus of unfounded wails of the ethnic champions and bigots, the biggest result would be a terrible injustice for the minorities the dominance of majorities and another chance to share the national cake disproportionately.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by nograv: 5:10pm On May 14, 2021
ProfAmaben:

They know that their game is up, nobody fears them or their weapons of oppression again. Do you know why the SE is being regarded again in Nigeria recently? No one is scared of the NPF or military over there again.

LMAO, its true. I was the first one to tell my family, these guys only have their best interests at heart no matter how wide their smiles are

Judge a man by what he does, not by what he says...

Buhari is the best example, One nigeria up and down.. But who does he favour? grin Mtcheww
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by onuman: 10:48pm On May 14, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

Unfortunately for you, nobody formed Nigeria whether in 1914 or 1960.

The British did their cut and join in 1914 without consulting ethnic nationalities. They created protectorates, regions and zones (which later transmuted to states and regions) without consulting any of the constituting ethnic nationalities. The political class in the 1960s further adopted this system and created states along political line without consulting the ethnic nationalities.

State and LG creation in Nigeria are mere political delineation and arrangement. An Ijaw man cannot represent the interest of Ogoni people despite all lumped in same Rivers state, neither can an Ibibio man represent Annang people. An Ogoja man can't represent Eket or Calabar people despite all lumped in Cross rivers state.

So if Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups, let each group nominate (through election) their own representatives to the SNC. Whoever demand isn't meant can decide to exit through a referendum. Whoever demand is met will have to affirm it through referendum.

This is the sanest way to go.

I got your point regarding representation of all known ethnic nationalities in a Sovereign National Conference so that any ethnic Nationality shall decide whether to belong to Nigeria or not belong. But it’s not feasible to have such a situation, given the fact that Arewa sees the old eastern region with all its ethnic nationalities as areas that Arewa conquered through the civil war.

That’s why I suggested the easier way out which is having the three regions that existed at independence for a Sovereign or non Sovereign National Conference.

Other than that, the easiest way for the ethnic groups in the old eastern region to have their sovereign countries is by joining forces to get a country for the old eastern region and parts of Delta state; a new country formed on the principles of true federalism with resources control and with a clause for any ethnic group freely leaving the country at will.

After all, there are sovereign countries at the UN with population far much less than the population of Ijaw, Urhobo, Ogoja etc in the old eastern region.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soludo Appoints Osagie Aburime From Edo State As Chief Press Secretary / Makarfi To Peter Obi & Kwankwaso: Return To PDP, Swallow Your Personal Ambition / Ihima Residets Hold Rally For APC And Tinubu In Kogi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.