Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,454 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue (24462 Views)

2023 Presidency: Jonathan Meets With Southern Coordinators / Gov. Umahi Disagrees With Southern Governors, Insists FG Should Collect VAT / Abba Kyari: Miyetti Allah Accuses FBI Of Conniving With Southern Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Coldshisha: 9:58am On May 14, 2021
undecided
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by UltimateSpice: 9:59am On May 14, 2021
Convoking sovereign national conference is not a tea party as some people think.

It will negate the national assembly and subvert the existing Constitution.

Who will convoke the sovereign conference? Does the President have the power? Can the national assembly do it?

It is a dicey situation.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Boye33: 9:59am On May 14, 2021
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by dreu2fine(m): 10:03am On May 14, 2021
ProfAmaben:
The South is gradually waking up. You benefit nothing being enmeshed with leeches and parasites.

How many Fulani and Hausa billionaires would be millionaires today if not for Oil money that they steal without caution or remorse?

The South is very docile and have allowed this evil happen over decades. Today, Oil has drastically lost its value and the South could have been a magnificent edifice without the parasites and Almajiri Muhammad head slamming pedophiles.
Wat are dey doing with d 13 scent derivation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by pat077: 10:04am On May 14, 2021
They are just dancing round the circle
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Nobody: 10:05am On May 14, 2021
[s]
post=101678424:
Reading
[/s] Enemy of the State!

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by bishopkay: 10:08am On May 14, 2021
Another hot pile of dung from tonyebarcanista. What would you suggest then? You have to understand the major highlight and intention of that meeting was banning open grazing.

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by chloride6: 10:08am On May 14, 2021
Good call

Don't waste our money
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by BabaO2: 10:08am On May 14, 2021
Slot of "ABN" still around
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by festacman(m): 10:14am On May 14, 2021
TonyeBarcanista you disagreed with Southern Governors' Forum on their stand on National Dialogue that is POSSIBLE and then recommended National Sovereign Conference that is parallel to NASS and therefore IMPOSSIBLE. Tell us how to practically convoke Sovereign National Conference or just shut up and allow the Governors to continue on National Dialogue track. They are not all stupid.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by HobNobs14(m): 10:16am On May 14, 2021
Break this country shu... Northern can’t tell us what to do... why did they ban History? Tell them explain 1914 ... Southern Nigeria was never part to Nigeria until 1914!!!!! Queen Elizabeth never went to the north. North was under France �� that’s why you can see they can’t relate with English. Nigeria Government ban history so we cannot find the truth.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by stupidmod3: 10:17am On May 14, 2021
let him resign n hand over to his vice.

there will b change hopefully for the better
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ipobvsdss: 10:21am On May 14, 2021
UltimateSpice:
Convoking sovereign national conference is not a tea party as some people think.

Who will convoke the sovereign conference? Does the President have the power? Can the national assembly do it?

It is a dicey situation.
Who are the National Assembly members? If the Governors are serious, they should instruct the Houses of Assembly to first pass resolution for the convocation of SNC. Then their NASS members can take it up on the floor of their chambers to demand for it by proposing resolution or a bill to that effect.

As for the numbers, legislators from the South+Middlebelt+Non Fulani/Kanuri north are super majority combined (that is if the Fulani/Kanuri elites opposes).

See, this thing is not as cumbersome as they are making it to seem. The only problem is that the beneficiaries of the present system are not really interested for anything that will affect their "business".

4 Likes

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Tetrahedron: 10:22am On May 14, 2021
A little too late don’t you think
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 10:24am On May 14, 2021
How many times did General Mohammadu Buhari contest for president before it favoured him?

Giving up a call central to peaceful coexistence in this fragile period of our national misunderstanding now is an act of cowardice and betrayal.

For your information, the call for national dialogue and restructure are central to APC manifesto hence the call is perfectly in order and the best moment is now.

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by onuman: 10:24am On May 14, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:

While the one done during Goodluck may appear as good especially with respect to what we currently have, it still fell below expectation.

The conference didn't conclude on the issue of derivatives, the conference's delegates were not elected by the various ethnic nationalities but by the President and his governors, the handpicked conference delegates were along state delineation rather than ethnic nationalities, the conference report cannot be said to be different from other legal documents because it didn't pass through a referendum etc.

You want a conference where each of the 250 (there are more than 300) ethnic nationalities shall be represented.
Equal number of representatives from each ethnic nationality?

Even if their is equal number of representatives from each ethnic group Imagine how chaotic the conference shall be; and at last, there will be no conclusion or recommendations.

Best method for restructuring Nigeria is elect equal number of representatives from each of the three regions that formed Nigeria in 1960, let them restructure Nigeria politically, bring their recommendations to a plebiscite in each of the three regions .
Three regions - east, west and north - formed Nigeria in 1960.
Ethnic nationalities did not form Nigeria in 1960.

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by CSTRR: 10:28am On May 14, 2021
Nonsense.

We need to keep mounting the pressure.

Look at the way Evey dicckk and Harry in the North is getting worried because the south had a regional meeting.

It shows they didn't expect the unity of purpose.
They have always enjoyed dividing and ruling.

We need to renegotiate this country, if not for us, for our children.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Nobody: 10:32am On May 14, 2021
ProfAmaben:
The South is gradually waking up. You benefit nothing being enmeshed with leeches and parasites.

How many Fulani and Hausa billionaires would be millionaires today if not for Oil money that they steal without caution or remorse?

The South is very docile and have allowed this evil happen over decades. Today, Oil has drastically lost its value and the South could have been a magnificent edifice without the parasites and Almajiri Muhammad head slamming pedophiles.

Let's practice true federalism where everyone is equal and respected, where there's fairness and justice. This country is currently overloading it's scarce resources by employing hundreds of Almajiri from Katsina into all sensitive parts of government MDA's and are massively paid for doing nothing via the South's wealth.

Those that earn 200k plus in Nasrda, DPR, EFCC, NHIS etc, what are they doing there? How can Nasrda have over 4000+ staff and recently recruited over 1k people this January?

Breakdown of excessive staffing for just a year:
1000 new recruits in Nasrda level 7 @ 197k a month = 197 million naira * 12 = 2.64 billion naira shocked a year paid to people for doing absolutely nothing. Let's not talk about their bonuses, pension, gratuity etc.

Imagine employing 200 people in DPR from Katsina level 07 @ 370k monthly for a year, that's 880 million naira annually without 13th month salary.
Nigeria is truly finished and would keep paying recurrent expenditure over what doesn't benefit the nation in any shape or form.

This is how the Hausa Fulani is impoverishing Nigeria and empowering terrorists to keep oppressing the South, imagine how many are being employed on a daily basis to waste Nigeria's scarce resources??
Before and after amalgamation there were more Hausa-Fulani billionaires in North than any other part of Nigeria.
DPR has less than 800 staffs in totality so ur assertion is very wrong.
North is the centre of West Africa's business before colonisation of Africa.
Abt lies they feed to ur head on civil servants proportion between states, zones or region I think the data belwo can help unfreeze ur delusional conspiracy:
The FG civil servants from Kano, Jigawa, Kebbi, Yobe, & zamfara combined (5114) are not upto those from IMO state alone (5825). All these alleged nepotism or lopsided employment is either a ranting out of ignorance or an outburst that will soon reveal the true case of marginalised Nigerians because more northeners are employed now to balance & check the Federal character system which is one of the core function of the Commission. All those accusing North of depending on govt to earn survive need to wake up & access authentic data not concocted data means to tarnish PMB's image in the south with no authentic data to back their claims. Why are southern media report only appointments involving Northerners? I have completed list of PMB's MDAs appointments from 2015-2020 which clearly evident that South have taken lion share compared to North. I also have the data containing the statistics of political appointments of PMB also proven Southern Nigeria taking wide margin compared to North. Unfortunately, most educated Nigerians only learn the true nature of political game they're drawn into after govt has finished it tenure, that's when they'll know they're fooled by political tricks.
The Director General, Bureau of Public Service Reforms (BPSR), Dr. Joe Abah, disclosed that no fewer than 89, 511 civil servants are in the Federal Government’s employ, across States of the Federation.
89, 511 civil servants in FG’s employ– DG BPSR
Abah, in a series of tweets via his Twitter handle, States that topped the chat with most civil servants in the Federal Civil Service are Imo (5825), Kogi (5186), Ogun (4669) Delta (4419) and Akwa-Ibom (4416).
In percentage, Imo State makes up ( 7 %), Kogi (6 %), Ogun (5% ), Delta (5%) and Akwa Ibom (5%).
According to Abah, the Federal Civil Servants by State of Origin read thus:
1. Abia-3579

2. Adamawa-1727

3. Akwa Ibom- 4416

4. Anambra -3576

5. Bauchi -1172

6. Bayelsa -957

7. Benue -3951

8. Borno -1822

9. Cross River- 2681

10. Delta -4419

11. Ebonyi -865

12. Edo- 3890

13. Ekiti -2613

14. Enugu -2695

15. FCT- 533

16. Gombe -1218

17. Imo -5825

18. Jigawa -675

19. Kaduna -3199

20. Kano -1545

21. Katsina -1237

22. Kebbi- 875

23. Kogi -5186

24. Kwara -2537

25. Lagos -2180

26. Nasarawa- 1452

27. Niger -2193

28. Ogun -4669

29. Ondo -3393

30. Osun -3321

31. Oyo -3244

32. Plateau -2542

33. Rivers -1675

34. Sokoto -732

35. Taraba- 1112

36. Yobe- 744

37. Zamfara -543
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/89-511-civil-servants-in-fgs-employ-by-nov-2015-dg-bpsr/
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ProfAmaben(m): 10:34am On May 14, 2021
Coronabirus:
Before and after amalgamation there were more Hausa-Fulani billionaires in North than any other part of Nigeria.
DPR has less than 800 staffs in totality so ur assertion is very wrong.
North is the centre of West Africa's business before colonisation of Africa.
Abt lies they feed to ur head on civil servants proportion between states, zones or region I think the data belwo can help unfreeze ur delusional conspiracy:
The FG civil servants from Kano, Jigawa, Kebbi, Yobe, & zamfara combined (5114) are not upto those from IMO state alone (5825). All these alleged nepotism or lopsided employment is either a ranting out of ignorance or an outburst that will soon reveal the true case of marginalised Nigerians because more northeners are employed now to balance & check the Federal character system which is one of the core function of the Commission. All those accusing North of depending on govt to earn survive need to wake up & access authentic data not concocted data means to tarnish PMB's image in the south with no authentic data to back their claims. Why are southern media report only appointments involving Northerners? I have completed list of PMB's MDAs appointments from 2015-2020 which clearly evident that South have taken lion share compared to North. I also have the data containing the statistics of political appointments of PMB also proven Southern Nigeria taking wide margin compared to North. Unfortunately, most educated Nigerians only learn the true nature of political game they're drawn into after govt has finished it tenure, that's when they'll know they're fooled by political tricks.
The Director General, Bureau of Public Service Reforms (BPSR), Dr. Joe Abah, disclosed that no fewer than 89, 511 civil servants are in the Federal Government’s employ, across States of the Federation.
89, 511 civil servants in FG’s employ– DG BPSR
Abah, in a series of tweets via his Twitter handle, States that topped the chat with most civil servants in the Federal Civil Service are Imo (5825), Kogi (5186), Ogun (4669) Delta (4419) and Akwa-Ibom (4416).
In percentage, Imo State makes up ( 7 %), Kogi (6 %), Ogun (5% ), Delta (5%) and Akwa Ibom (5%).
According to Abah, the Federal Civil Servants by State of Origin read thus:
1. Abia-3579

2. Adamawa-1727

3. Akwa Ibom- 4416

4. Anambra -3576

5. Bauchi -1172

6. Bayelsa -957

7. Benue -3951

8. Borno -1822

9. Cross River- 2681

10. Delta -4419

11. Ebonyi -865

12. Edo- 3890

13. Ekiti -2613

14. Enugu -2695

15. FCT- 533

16. Gombe -1218

17. Imo -5825

18. Jigawa -675

19. Kaduna -3199

20. Kano -1545

21. Katsina -1237

22. Kebbi- 875

23. Kogi -5186

24. Kwara -2537

25. Lagos -2180

26. Nasarawa- 1452

27. Niger -2193

28. Ogun -4669

29. Ondo -3393

30. Osun -3321

31. Oyo -3244

32. Plateau -2542

33. Rivers -1675

34. Sokoto -732

35. Taraba- 1112

36. Yobe- 744

37. Zamfara -543
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/89-511-civil-servants-in-fgs-employ-by-nov-2015-dg-bpsr/

Elaborate response, but you know deep down in your heart that this report is false.

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by anigbajumo(m): 10:41am On May 14, 2021
TonyeBarcanista:
By Tonye Barcanista

On Tuesday, governors of southern states under the umbrella of Southern Nigeria Governors Forum, SNGF, met in Asaba, the capital of Delta state at the instance of Chief Rotimi Akeredolu, the Governor of Ondo state and Chairman of Southwest Governors Forum; Senator Ifeanyi Okowa, the Governor of Delta state and Chairman of Southsouth Governors Forum; and Engr. David Umahi, the Governor of Ebonyi state and Southeast Governors Forum chairman.

The meeting, which had in attendance 15 Governors from the 17 southern states, including, Chief Rotimi Akeredolu (Ondo), Nyesom Wike (Rivers), Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu), Babajide Sanwoolu (Lagos), Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), Hope Uzodinma (Imo), Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia), Douye Diri (Bayelsa), Godwin Obaseki (Edo), David Umahi (Ebonyi), Dapo Abiodun (Ogun) and Willie Obiano of Anambra state, was to address the lingering economic, insecurity and other issues confronting the southern Nigeria region.

At the end of the meeting, the Governors, among other resolution, appealed the President Muhammadu Buhari to review the appointments of service chiefs and other officers of government to reflect fair representation and banned open grazing of cattle across the seventeen states in southern Nigeria. The Governors also appealed to the President Buhari to convoke a National Dialogue to address the rising ethnic tensions and other associated issues bedevilling the country.

While I concede that the Governors did well for taking collective decisions on several national issues, especially with respect to the ban on open grazing and the call on the President to revisit his sectional appointments, I am of the opinion that their call for National Dialogue is highly unnecessary as it would lead to another round of wastage of scarce resources and time, and would end up as another talk shop just like others before.

Four National Conferences, Zero Improvement
Since the year 1942, Nigeria has had different National conferences where people, acting on behalf of their various constituencies without mandate of those they claim to represent, would gather themselves discuss and reach resolutions- without subjecting their resolutions to the people through referendum to test whether they meet the yearnings and demands of the people they claim to represent. Worse still, the resolutions of these delegates are either left to rot in the shelf of the government in power or the government would appoint a committee to look into the report; which will lead to its natural death altogether.

The first national conference that was held for the "Nigerian people" was the Lanchester House Constitutional Conference. This conference, was held in London, United Kingdom and which gave birth to the Constitution of Nigeria at independence, had political leaders and other elites as delegates without subjecting themselves to being selected by the people of Nigeria. Resolutions were reached by these delegates, which formed the basis for our pre independent constitution. The problem with that conference was that the people of Nigeria were not allowed to have a say on those to represent their ethnic nationalities, and they were also denied of the privilege of deciding (through referendum) whether or not the resolutions of the conference met their expectations as a people or represent their interests.

Between the year 1994 and 1995, there was a constitutional conference that was convoked by General Sani Abacha, the then military head of state. The conference was to address the issues in the country with respect to several agitations, and propose appropriate solutions. Abacha's military administration appointed about 96 delegates to represent the government to the conference, while others were elected along state delineation rather than ethnic nationalities. The conference gulped a lot of resources, resolutions and recommendations were reached. The conference reports were handed over to Abacha, who arrogated himself the power to have the final say rather than subject it to the Nigerian people to decide through referendum whether or not its content was acceptable.

In 2005, the government of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo okayed another round of constitutional conference to still discuss the issues of Nigeria that has lingered since pre independence. The then President alongside other 36 states governors, singlehandedly picked the 400 persons to serve as delegates to the conference to represent over 120 million people without the input of the people. The conference wasted another round of money and made resolutions. As usual, the people of Nigeria and all ethnic nationalities were denied the right to affirm or reject the content of the resolutions through a simple referendum. Instead, the conference report was handed to President Obasanjo without recourse to the people they claimed to represent, who in turn condemned it to a shelf in his presidential office.

In 2014, the administration of Goodluck Jonathan announced convocation of National conference. Just like its predecessor conferences, Jonathan's government alongside 36 state governors singlehandedly picked delegates for the conference without recourse to the people of Nigeria, who they claim to represent. As usual, the resolutions of the conference was not subjected to the approval or disapproval of the Nigerian people. Instead, it was handed over to President Goodluck Jonathan, who in turn appointed a committee to advice on implementation leading to its natural death.

Considering the aforementioned, it is right to say that the call on President Buhari for a convocation of National Dialogue Conference by the Southern Governors is tantamount to repeating the same thing and expecting different outcome.

The only conference that will lead to solution of the problems of Nigeria is the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference of ethnic nationalities. This conference should have the various ethnic nations in Nigeria electing their delegates, it should be a 'no hold barred' summit, and resolutions be subject to referendum in each of the ethnic nations. Other than this, we will continue on our wild goose chase without any end. Despite that the call for a conference with sovereign status has been advocated by numerous stakeholders across the 250 ethnic nationalities that make up Nigeria in the last four decades, successive governments, political leaders and other elites that are benefitting from the incumbent unfavorable system have consistently ignored it.

Conclusively, every unbiased and sane mind will agree that Nigeria's problem is structural. The various ethnic nationalities and the citizens don't see themselves as stakeholders in the country because they were neither consulted nor did they play any part in the process that led to the creation and promulgation of the 1999 Constitution, and only a Sovereign National Conference can usher solution.

May God bless us all and bless Nigeria.

Tonye Barcanista is a political commentator and analyst, he writes from Abuja.

tonyebarcanista@gmail.com

I totally disagree with you on this. The greatest mistake for 2014 confab report was that it didn't backed up by Law which made it difficult for implementation. The only solution for restructuring is to organize a national conference that's backed up by law. We can no longer continue with the anti-people fraud of 1999 constitution that was writing by some devils which one of them even Happen to be a Governor today, 80% of our problem is that heartless 1999 constitution and nothing can change it rather than organize a national conference backed up by law and throw that junk 1999 constitution into sea. If we continue like this Nigeria might not exist in the next 5yrs. If you are expecting our legislatures to pass a bill for reconstructuring u are deceiving urself because it will never see the light of the day, Ask the FG el_rufai report on restructuring, it has been thrown into Dustin which was even sponsored by APC led administration same way GEJ doesn't tamper with 2014 confab report.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ogwumgbe: 10:47am On May 14, 2021
SouthSouth1914:
Dialogue, No! Disint3grate, No! Improve on social amenities with a focal point on the 6- geopolitical zones, No! This government has decided to stick to one sided, lopsided instrumentation on appointments!

Whatever their collective plans for the entire country is already laid bare by the utterances and actions of some elements calling themselves bloodsuckers!! But there is no monopoly of violence!

If all these docile Southern leaders refuse to act, then the Youth should simply go UGM way. Nigeria is for all and not for some group of people
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by spy24(m): 10:51am On May 14, 2021
UltimateSpice:

It is a dicey situation.

Nigeria is in a dicey situation already we cannot continue like this
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ogwumgbe: 10:53am On May 14, 2021
ProfAmaben:

Elaborate response, but you know deep down in your heart that this report is false.

Give us the low down of the key appointments in this administration from Military down to Prison, I want to see it. You people should just go your way , enough is enough, we are done

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by mcbreeze: 10:55am On May 14, 2021
Bro I wish you are near. You deserve chilled beer from me.
Just mind.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by Racoon(m): 10:55am On May 14, 2021
The only conference that will lead to solution of the problems of Nigeria is the convocation of a Sovereign National Conference of ethnic nationalities.
The "gbammest" of all the "gbammest". 1999 constitution was a fraud.Barca welcome! Longest time sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by ogwumgbe: 10:57am On May 14, 2021
anigbajumo:

I totally disagree with you on this. The greatest mistake for 2014 confab report was that it didn't backed up by Law which made it difficult for implementation. The only solution for restructuring is to organize a national conference that's backed up by law. We can no longer continue with the anti-people fraud of 1999 constitution that was writing by some devils which one of them even Happen to be a Governor today, 80% of our problem is that heartless 1999 constitution and nothing can change it rather than organize a national conference backed up by law and throw that junk 1999 constitution into sea. If we continue like this Nigeria might not exist in the next 5yrs. If you are expecting our legislatures to pass a bill for reconstructuring u are deceiving urself because it will never see the light of the day, Ask the FG el_rufai report on restructuring, it has been thrown into Dustin which was even sponsored by APC led administration same way GEJ doesn't tamper with 2014 confab report.

There's nothing like bill for restructuring my dear, We have governors from the 36 states of the federation, they should gather together with traditional rulers from each region as well as the Senators and House of rep guy, then sit down and discuss the phony constitution and restructuring. Everything is not about NASS; Why am I suggesting this?, because I am involved

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by anigbajumo(m): 11:09am On May 14, 2021
ogwumgbe:

There's nothing like bill for restructuring my dear, We have governors from the 36 states of the federation, they should gather together with traditional rulers from each region as well as the Senators and House of rep guy, then sit down and discuss the phony constitution and restructuring. Everything is not about NASS; Why am I suggesting this?, because I am involved

Lol, They av done that in the past and it failed. Nigeria is a country not a banana republic, u can't draft any resolution and think it will be implemented without passing through the Nass. It will never see the light of the day.
Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:14am On May 14, 2021
onuman:

You want a conference where each of the 250 (there are more than 300) ethnic nationalities shall be represented.
Equal number of representatives from each ethnic nationality?

Even if their is equal number of representatives from each ethnic group Imagine how chaotic the conference shall be; and at last, there will be no conclusion or recommendations.

Best method for restructuring Nigeria is elect equal number of representatives from each of the three regions that formed Nigeria in 1960, let them restructure Nigeria politically, bring their recommendations to a plebiscite in each of the three regions .
Three regions - east, west and north - formed Nigeria in 1960.
Ethnic nationalities did not form Nigeria in 1960.
Unfortunately for you, nobody formed Nigeria whether in 1914 or 1960.

The British did their cut and join in 1914 without consulting ethnic nationalities. They created protectorates, regions and zones (which later transmuted to states and regions) without consulting any of the constituting ethnic nationalities. The political class in the 1960s further adopted this system and created states along political line without consulting the ethnic nationalities.

State and LG creation in Nigeria are mere political delineation and arrangement. An Ijaw man cannot represent the interest of Ogoni people despite all lumped in same Rivers state, neither can an Ibibio man represent Annang people. An Ogoja man can't represent Eket or Calabar people despite all lumped in Cross rivers state.

So if Nigeria has 250 ethnic groups, let each group nominate (through election) their own representatives to the SNC. Whoever demand isn't meant can decide to exit through a referendum. Whoever demand is met will have to affirm it through referendum.

This is the sanest way to go.

1 Like

Re: Why I Disagree With Southern Governors Call On Buhari For National Dialogue by olisaEze(m): 11:15am On May 14, 2021
The Boss! It’s been a while since we last saw u in Nairaland politics section. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023 Declaration: "Osinbajo Is Extremely Incompetent" - Adeyanju Warns Nigerians / Northern Traders To Resume North To South Movement As Yahaya Bello Intervenes / I Could Have Asked For My Share Of Fuel Subsidy, But God Forbid — Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.