Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,818 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? (18017 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by NarnieAceTech: 1:14pm On May 16, 2021
Hello Nairalanders, I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I need your sincere contributions, advice on a career path I'm about to take. I will go straight to it:

I have been searching for a job for some months now. I applied in several startups but wasn't fortunate in getting replies from them. I recently got a job in a new generation bank and it's at their HQ in Lagos Island. I had barely stayed up to a week before I got a mail from the Nigerian Immigration Service concerning their screening exercise.
I have never been in such position to pick one, because from the look of things, I can't seem to have it both ways but I may just be wrong. I decided to list out the pros and cons of both jobs.

Bank job pros:
• Salary is close to 100k.
• Transportation is free I.e zero cost
• Positive working environment.
• Learning on the job.
• Job growth.
• Job flexibility- I will start working from home as soon as I get a good grasp handling some things, that means I may be coming to the office 3 times in 5 days. That means I'll be able to run my side hustle as well.

Bank Job cons:
• Distance from home to office is quite far. Due to Lagos traffic, I leave home by 4.45am and the office by 5pm and get home by 8-9pm.
• No job security.

Federal govt. Job pros:
• Job growth.
• Job security.
• Flexible: I can comfortably run my side hustles.
• Probably deployed to a state that isn't expensive like Lagos.

Federal govt. Job cons:
• I applied with my OND(national diploma) so I would have to start from level 6.
• Less than 60k salary for a start (from the Info I gathered).
• Probably redeployed to the Northeast of Nigeria
• Since it is just a screening exercise, there's no guarantee I'd get my appointment letter.

Please, if there are people working with the system,
I need to know how many days would the training exercise take?
What's the starting salary of an AII(Assistant inspector of Immigration)?
Can I upgrade my level now that I have my BSc, if I get the job? If yes, then how?

I seriously need your advice and answers to those questions I asked, so I can draw my conclusion from them, because the decision I will take may either make or break me. Thank you.

PS: I have just 10 days till the screening exercise and I would have to travel down to my state of origin for the exercise.

Please MODs, move this to the front page.

CrazyMan.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by sunnymighty(m): 1:20pm On May 16, 2021
NarnieAceTech:
Hello Nairalanders, I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I need your sincere contributions, advice on a career path I'm about to take. I will go straight to it:

I have been searching for a job for some months now. I applied in several startups but wasn't fortunate in getting replies from them. I recently got a job in a new generation bank and it's at their HQ in Lagos Island. I had barely stayed up to a week before I got a mail from the Nigerian Immigration Service concerning their screening exercise.
I have never been in such position to pick one, because from the look of things, I can't seem to have it both ways but I may just be wrong. I decided to list out the pros and cons of both jobs.

Bank job pros:
• Salary is close to 100k.
• Transportation is free I.e zero cost
• Positive working environment.
• Learning on the job.
• Job growth.
• Job flexibility- I will start working from home as soon as I get a good grasp handling some things, that means I may be coming to the office 3 times in 5 days. That means I'll be able to run my side hustle as well.

Bank Job cons:
• Distance from home to office is quite far. Due to Lagos traffic, I leave home by 4.45am and the office by 5pm and get home by 8-9pm.
• No job security.

Federal govt. Job pros:
• Job growth.
• Job security.
• Flexible: I can comfortably run my side hustles.
• Probably deployed to a state that isn't expensive like Lagos.

Federal govt. Job cons:
• I applied with my OND(national diploma) so I would have to start from level 6.
• Less than 60k salary for a start (from the Info I gathered).
• Probably redeployed to the Northeast of Nigeria
• Since it is just a screening exercise, there's no guarantee I'd get my appointment letter.

Please, if there are people working with the system,
I need to know how many days would the training exercise take?
What's the starting salary of an AII(Assistant inspector of Immigration)?
Can I upgrade my level now that I have my BSc, if I get the job? If yes, then how?

I seriously need your advice and answers to those questions I asked, so I can draw my conclusion from them, because the decision I will take may either make or break me. Thank you.

PS: I have just 10 days till the screening exercise and I would have to travel down to my state of origin for the exercise.

Please MODs, move this to the front page.

CrazyMan.

If you are 100% sure of being enlisted after the screening exercise I will advise you go but if not, baba remain where you are, a bird at hand..........

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by NarnieAceTech: 1:28pm On May 16, 2021
sunnymighty:

If you are 100% sure of being enlisted after the screening exercise I will advise you go but if not, baba remain where you are, a bird at hand..........

Well, i can say I'm 80% sure I'd get the job after the screening exercise. My credentials are all intact, I'm sure I did pretty well with the CBT exam. Last time I carried out a medical test, I was certified OK and fit.

4 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Skyfornia(m): 1:50pm On May 16, 2021
Bros go for the screening exercise...even senior bank officials dey apply for federal job...

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by design106: 9:14am On May 17, 2021
grin

Is this even a question?
Federal Job Biko.

Modified
Just read it. It isn't as simple as the topic suggested so I'll just leave this for the pros.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by paulolee(m): 9:14am On May 17, 2021
na federal sure pass if the work don click be that o bcoz contry red oo..
even my bros akin wey de preach entrepreneur gimme all day for online n offline saying he cant work for any man, he cant subject himself to a 7-5 suffer n he is prepared to improve himself as an entrepreneur..
just last week wey I go see our senior man for street wey bin work for corporate affairs commission but he don retire, as i visit the alhaji based on sallah tinz, i see bros akin for ground dey dobale with brown envelopes n he file for hand say Make the man help am find slot, say even if na outside lagos or even for north he go work and adapt to am..
fear who no fear this buhary regime bcoz the change dey really change person o

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by candidbabe(f): 9:14am On May 17, 2021
Reading
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by DoctorDree(m): 9:14am On May 17, 2021
Government job definitely......You want a job without future??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by BigDawsNet: 9:14am On May 17, 2021
FG no doubt abt it

But you need to be sure the immigration job is certian...

Don't quite yet

6 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by dopedealer(m): 9:15am On May 17, 2021
Like I was saying , a Federal job affords you job security , steady salary as at when due , growth and rise in grade level,work shops and conferences , gratuity, assured pension after retirement to mention a few advantages . . Infact if you eventually rise to a certain level of director and above if age does not catch up with you , my brother you already chopping your share of the national cake.
in conclusion , FG work it is !!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by obasi101(m): 9:15am On May 17, 2021
Federal job abeg, which one is Bank job.. tcheeeww. All dis bankers that ll work their A$$ off for meager salaries.. lol. They ll be looking smart and agile behind the counters with their starched shirts and suits, but meanwhile, their actual account balances are looking Like a third class result GPA grin grin

45 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Koryc: 9:15am On May 17, 2021
Federal job is secured
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by chukwuibuipob: 9:15am On May 17, 2021
sad
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Blaizy9(f): 9:15am On May 17, 2021
FG
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by DropsMic(m): 9:15am On May 17, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Jegiosowor(f): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
Baba God
Give me opportunity like this to chose na cry

10 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by ecomalchemist(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
Find money and leave this shithole country

3 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by jrupa(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
I've always heard about FG jobs having security and up to a large extent gaurantees one time for other activities. For me I would like you to pick the FG job if it is certain.

Most importantly go for the one with more long-term peace to you sha.
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Galloman(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
Federal government job any day any time twice on Monday.
I hate sitting at a place for a very long time that's why I hate bank job the most

8 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Bryan88(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
FG work anytime, anywhere!

1 Like

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by blinking001(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
Stick with the feds man

1 Like

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Galloman(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2021
Federal government job any day any time twice on Monday.
I hate sitting at a place for a very long time that's why I hate bank job the
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by michlins(m): 9:17am On May 17, 2021
Federal government job is one of the easiest way to escape poverty in Nigeria.

But getting a job at the headquarters of a bank is the dream.

Me I don't know what to tell you

15 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Harrynight(m): 9:17am On May 17, 2021
grin

Your job at the bank may pay better but the job is not secure.

Federal Government job may not pay well but the job is far secure and comes with some juicy entitlement much later!

That said, go for FG Job

3 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Nobody: 9:17am On May 17, 2021
Chose wisely.
E-mail scrapper and auto-responder available.
Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by hustla(m): 9:18am On May 17, 2021
NarnieAceTech:

Well, i can say I'm 80% sure I'd get the job after the screening exercise. My credentials are all intact, I'm sure I did pretty well with the CBT exam. Last time I carried out a medical test, I was certified OK and fit.

Take a few days leave from your bank job, go for the screening exercise and wait to see if they'll call you up

Simple

7 Likes

Re: Bank Job Or Federal Government Job? by Andyvilly: 9:18am On May 17, 2021
None

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Civil Servant Fights For Job After Exposing Racketeering In Works Ministry / Drama As Senate Confirms Victor Muruako As Fiscal Responsibility Commission Boss / What Did You Study In School And What Are You Doing Presently? Let's Discuss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.