Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN (22617 Views)

Rebecca Sekidika: Rivers First Class Graduate Dies A Week To Her UK Travel / E-cigarettes, Tobacco Products Increases Risk Of Oral Cancer / More Worries More Problems: Financial Stress Increases Risk Of Heart Attack, New (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by DamnnNiggarr: 6:44pm On May 17, 2021
Working more than 55 hours a week increases the risk of death from heart disease and stroke, according to a United Nations study out Monday.

The report by the UN’s World Health Organization and International Labor Organization agencies comes as the Covid-19 pandemic accelerates workplace changes that could reinforce the tendency to work longer hours.

The WHO-ILO study, published in the journal Environment International, is the first global analysis of the risks to life and health associated with working long hours.

It does not focus on the pandemic but on the preceding years. The authors synthesised data from dozens of studies involving hundreds of thousands of participants.

“Working 55 hours or more per week is a serious health hazard,” said Maria Neira, director of the WHO’s environment, climate change and health department.

“It’s time that we all — governments, employers, and employees — wake up to the fact that long working hours can lead to premature death.”

The study concluded that working 55 hours or more per week was associated with an estimated 35-percent increase in the risk of suffering a stroke, and a 17-percent rise in the risk of dying from ischemic heart disease, compared to working 35 to 40 hours.

Teleworking
The WHO and the ILO estimated that in 2016, 398,000 people died from a stroke and 347,000 from heart disease after working at least 55 hours per week.

Between 2000 and 2016, the number of deaths due to heart disease linked to long working hours increased by 42 percent, while the figure for strokes went up by 19 percent.

Most of the recorded deaths were among people aged 60 to 79, who had worked 55 hours or more per week when they were between 45 and 74 years old.

“With working long hours now known to be responsible for about one-third of the total estimated work-related burden of disease, it is established as the risk factor with the largest occupational disease burden,” the WHO said.

The organisation also said that the coronavirus crisis was speeding up developments that could feed the trend towards increased working time.

“The Covid-19 pandemic has significantly changed the way many people work,” said WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

“Teleworking has become the norm in many industries, often blurring the boundaries between home and work. In addition, many businesses have been forced to scale back or shut down operations to save money, and people who are still on the payroll end up working longer hours.

“No job is worth the risk of stroke or heart disease. Governments, employers and workers need to work together to agree on limits to protect the health of workers.”

https://m.guardian.ng/features/working-55-hours-a-week-increases-risk-of-death-un/amp/

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by DamnnNiggarr: 6:46pm On May 17, 2021
Please who has an idea of how many hours an average worker in Nigeria works??

For the purpose of learning, I would like this to be pushed to the front page so as to enlighten the ignorant ones amongst us the dangers of working long hours, who also think that working round the clock/long hours is "HARDWORKING" as some of my men would say.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by MajesticKris: 7:33pm On May 17, 2021
Lol Ordinary driving in Lagos Traffic sef, pass 55 hours + Work is = ?

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Remember1313: 9:47pm On May 17, 2021
Mo fo

Mercedes c300 2013: 7m

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by momodub: 9:48pm On May 17, 2021
Hummm for who get job abi, lagosians work 100 hours a week majority doing nothing lol

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by leksdigital: 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
It's funny how we have normalize nonsense in this part of the world, you will even hear people boasting of how they work 14 hours a day and sleep for 2 hours like it's an achievement. An average Nigerian works 10 hours daily then spends another 5 hours in traffic.

This is why I love white folks. There is no time you go to the beach that you don't meet them there. These guys work hard but they understand you need to refuel, they come to the sea and relax. You notice how relaxing the beach are. It's therapeutic. It has a way of just easing your stress.
But you will see Nigerians, Monday to Friday you will wake up by 4:3am get on the road by 5am , get to work by 6;30 , then work from 6:30 to 7:00 because it's a crime for anyone to close at work at 5pm normal closing time. You'd be seen as unserious. Then when you finally close, you chill a little to avoid traffic or just enter the traffic.
If you enter traffic, you will spend another 3 hours to get home, by 10pm
If you chill till 9;30 you will get home by 11pm.

Most Nigerians spend 4 to 7 hours on the road daily.
Then Saturday that you are supposed to rest, it's one family engagement or owanbe which is equivalent to work. Cos the kind of dance people dance at party these days grin it's more than work o. Then you leave the party drunk which will further weaken your immune system which is already weak due to stress.
Then on Sunday , you go to church, from Church you'd go shopping for the things you need the coming week.
You Get home start making food for the new week. By evening na house fellowship. You'd come back tired, and the cycle begins the following week. Even God your creator rested on the seventh day.

Then you get burn out, instead of some people to take leave they will convert it to money and even get burned out more. and the ones that decides to take leave will spend it not even resting cos half of the time your company is still sending you work and you are working from home., There is no way you can be innovative under such situation.

Nobody gets creative in that kind of settings.

This is why I have learnt one thing, apart from the fact that I work from home as a freelancer, I spend my Mondays chilling at a luxury beach. Then work starts monday evening, then work till Friday. Saturday is work and rest then sunday evening is work

116 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by LoudLord(m): 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
Tell my naija people that one nah

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by AMAUCHESKY(m): 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
FCT .....
This country is like people above me grin

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Dalil8: 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
Only 55 hrs? lol

grin

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by WiszyFraud: 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
Did you know??

When a person dies, their sense of hearing is the last to go.

shocked

14 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by HalpyBee(f): 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
Apt! Know this, know peace. The importance of setting limits cannot be overemphasized. When employees overwork, it makes them get tired of their work and frustrated. The only driving force is the pay they receive; no enthusiasm, joy.

“No job is worth the risk of stroke or heart disease. Governments, employers and workers need to work together to agree on limits to protect the health of workers.”

12 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
Your body go sour

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by ebuk4real(m): 9:49pm On May 17, 2021
grin

Welcome to Nigeria where me alone works about 84hours a week. My life o...chai

6 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by unity004(m): 9:50pm On May 17, 2021
cheesy grin grin cheesy grin grin grin Same as being a Chelsea Fan for the pass one week grin grin grin grin grin grin

Final burial on May 29th

4 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by olisefom: 9:50pm On May 17, 2021
In this lagos? Lobatan!

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by babyfaceafrica: 9:50pm On May 17, 2021
Doesn't work in Africa.... My only problem with Nigerians is that we don't do Holidays... People don't even use their leaves..... Stroke and HBP is real

5 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by baike: 9:50pm On May 17, 2021
Ok UN tell me how many hours I supposed to work in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Ezedon(m): 9:50pm On May 17, 2021
This is a lazy man's talk,
It's not true
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by IMASTEX: 9:50pm On May 17, 2021
Not for Nigerians people even work in their sleep.

5 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by inoki247: 9:51pm On May 17, 2021
is like you people are mad u get work for us wey no reach 55hours..

Even ordinary Yahoo boy wey dey see free money dey work pass dat....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 17, 2021
hmmm nah today you know that one
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by babatee90(m): 9:51pm On May 17, 2021
You don’t even need to work at all for your chance of getting killed in Nigeria to be increased

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by studentofTruth: 9:52pm On May 17, 2021
na make them prepare my burial now cos in good times, I fit do up to 70 hours.

2 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by solidmyk(m): 9:52pm On May 17, 2021
Wetin mk bricklayer come do undecided
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by ERockson: 9:52pm On May 17, 2021
Not working is a dangerous disease that killing Nigerians already
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Drsnives(m): 9:52pm On May 17, 2021
I work for more than 100hrs
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Cutehector(m): 9:53pm On May 17, 2021
Preach this to Banks. They abuse workers

7 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by NOwazobia: 9:53pm On May 17, 2021
Nigerians work more than that: doing strenuous jobs for long hours. Imagine working at least 12 twelve hours everyday, including weekends and public holidays.

In Nigeria, office workers work an average of 10hours in a day (that is 50 or 60 hours in a week as weekend rules varies among enterprises), while factory workers work at least 12hours in a day including Saturdays, and in some places, on Sundays. That is 72 and 84 hours a week. It is even worse under contractors; they use you like a donkey.

That must be one of the factors that is reducing the average life span in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by shegzhkn: 9:54pm On May 17, 2021
Lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Young Mother Burnt Badly With Her Children After Fire Tragedy In Delta. Photos / UCH Ibadan, A Death Trap: Official Reply From UCH Management / COVID-19 Update For September 20 2020 In Nigeria - (1,246 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.