Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,184 members, 7,953,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:57 PM

Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN (22741 Views)

Diabetes Increases Risk Of Heart Failure More In Women Than In Men / E-cigarettes, Tobacco Products Increases Risk Of Oral Cancer / More Worries More Problems: Financial Stress Increases Risk Of Heart Attack, New (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Flynn12345: 3:40am On May 18, 2021
Make someone help us tell Globacom, MTN and Airtel that their workers are not slaves abegiiiii
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by olmoRoc: 3:58am On May 18, 2021
leksdigital:
It's funny how we have normalize nonsense in this part of the world, you will even hear people boasting of how they work 14 hours a day and sleep for 2 hours like it's an achievement. An average Nigerian works 10 hours daily then spends another 5 hours in traffic.

This is why I love white folks. There is no time you go to the beach that you don't meet them there. These guys work hard but they understand you need to refuel, they come to the sea and relax. You notice how relaxing the beach are. It's therapeutic. It has a way of just easing your stress.
But you will see Nigerians, Monday to Friday you will wake up by 4:3am get on the road by 5am , get to work by 6;30 , then work from 6:30 to 7:00 because it's a crime for anyone to close at work at 5pm normal closing time. You'd be seen as unserious. Then when you finally close, you chill a little to avoid traffic or just enter the traffic.
If you enter traffic, you will spend another 3 hours to get home, by 10pm
If you chill till 9;30 you will get home by 11pm.

Most Nigerians spend 4 to 7 hours on the road daily.
Then Saturday that you are supposed to rest, it's one family engagement or owanbe which is equivalent to work. Cos the kind of dance people dance at party these days grin it's more than work o. Then you leave the party drunk which will further weaken your immune system which is already weak due to stress.
Then on Sunday , you go to church, from Church you'd go shopping for the things you need the coming week.
You Get home start making food for the new week. By evening na house fellowship. You'd come back tired, and the cycle begins the following week. Even God your creator rested on the seventh day.

Then you get burn out, instead of some people to take leave they will convert it to money and even get burned out more. and the ones that decides to take leave will spend it not even resting cos half of the time your company is still sending you work and you are working from home., There is no way you can be innovative under such situation.

Nobody gets creative in that kind of settings.

This is why I have learnt one thing, apart from the fact that I work from home as a freelancer, I spend my Mondays chilling at a luxury beach. Then work starts monday evening, then work till Friday. Saturday is work and rest then sunday evening is work

Some people in America work up to 19 hrs every day. 48 to 60 hrs weekly is the norm for low income earners, while those who have lots of mouths to feed, especially single parent, have multiple jobs. Meaning they can do anywhere between 14 to 19 hrs for about 5 days weekly. And I'm not referring to only immigrants.

It's the same thing in other Western or first world countries.

2 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by seunfly: 6:00am On May 18, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:
Please who has an idea of how many hours an average worker in Nigeria works??

For the purpose of learning, I would like this to be pushed to the front page so as to enlighten the ignorant ones amongst us the dangers of working long hours, who also think that working round the clock/long hours is "HARDWORKING" as some of my men would say.

on a averarge it is 40 to 48hours.
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by sirdick17: 6:14am On May 18, 2021
NOwazobia:
Nigerians work more than that: doing strenuous jobs for long hours. Imagine working at least 12 twelve hours everyday, including weekends and public holidays.

In Nigeria, office workers work an average of 10hours in a day (that is 50 or 60 hours in a week as weekend rules varies among enterprises), while factory workers work at least 12hours in a day including Saturdays, and in some places, on Sundays. That is 72 and 84 hours a week. It is even worse under contractors; they use you like a donkey.

That must be one of the factors that is reducing the average life span in Nigeria.

I'm a driver I work 11 hours per day, Monday to Saturday. Guess how much is my pay
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Bombolistic: 6:30am On May 18, 2021
You work 55 hours in naija, your termed as lazy
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by femi4: 7:36am On May 18, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:
Please who has an idea of how many hours an average worker in Nigeria works??

For the purpose of learning, I would like this to be pushed to the front page so as to enlighten the ignorant ones amongst us the dangers of working long hours, who also think that working round the clock/long hours is "HARDWORKING" as some of my men would say.
12hrs per day
60hrs a week
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by freemanq(m): 7:54am On May 18, 2021
Dats means all Nigerians for don die now, our minister of communications hope you are listening
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Goldbw122(m): 8:21am On May 18, 2021
THAT MEANS ALL NIGERIANS FOR DON DIE FINISH...
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Longman8: 8:59am On May 18, 2021
The UN/WHO are stating a real fact here. Sometimes we ar oblivious that STRESS is a HAZARD. (Hazard been anytin with potentials likely to cause harm) the body sys is like a machine that u need to service at one time or the other to avoid its complete shutdown. So also is the our body sys that requires rest once in a while.
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by CalmElder(m): 10:01am On May 18, 2021
I co owned a bakery with 2 men. We will wake 4 AM and work till 8, 9 or 10 PM.
We were making money till the pandemic caused the prices of bakery items to skyrocket, causing us to work like elephants and reap like ants.
We started having chest pains and also always tired. All these, coupled with the fact that they wouldn't listen to my advice that we adopt other strategies to make it less stressful and more profitable, I pulled out.
The few times I went to visit them, I'm glad I made that decision. Simply put, they suffering greatly I fear for their health, with little to show for it.

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Jamaica1503: 11:07am On May 18, 2021
Work or no work, less or more, rich or poor, Las Las everybody go kpai
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by travelwaka: 8:47pm On May 18, 2021
There are lots of beautiful beaches in Lagos. Here is a list of all the beautiful beaches in Lagos https://www.travelwaka.com/list-of-beaches-in-lagos-and-their-locations/

adolfHitler1934:
Thanks for educating us.

I have always wanted to go to Lagos and spend sometime chilling out in any of these holiday beach resort but my problems is how to find the right one.

Please kindly recommend some affordable and secured beach resort in Lagos someone can go and chill out with family or even alone....

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by peculiar2233: 3:31am On May 19, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

When a person dies, their sense of hearing is the last to go.

shocked
Have u ever been dead before?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child / Two Cases Of Omicron COVID Variant Detected In Nigeria / FG Introduces Pain-relieving Drug For Cancer, HIV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.