Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,639 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:48 AM

Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN (22742 Views)

Diabetes Increases Risk Of Heart Failure More In Women Than In Men / E-cigarettes, Tobacco Products Increases Risk Of Oral Cancer / More Worries More Problems: Financial Stress Increases Risk Of Heart Attack, New (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by observanc1: 10:22pm On May 17, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:
Please who has an idea of how many hours an average worker in Nigeria works??

For the purpose of learning, I would like this to be pushed to the front page so as to enlighten the ignorant ones amongst us the dangers of working long hours, who also think that working round the clock/long hours is "HARDWORKING" as some of my men would say.
for civil service, it's officially 8hrs x 5 = 40. Private companies work longer.
The major problem is europe and US where people take 2 or 3 jobs in order to make ends meet. They are the ones that work almost 24 hrs everyday for 7 days.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by ecomalchemist(m): 10:23pm On May 17, 2021
Na Nigeria be that, SUFFERING AND SMILING
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by observanc1: 10:24pm On May 17, 2021
LoudLord:
Tell my naija people that one nah
do u work in 2 or 3 places at same time like oyibos?

2 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by DamnnNiggarr: 10:25pm On May 17, 2021
observanc1:
for civil service, it's officially 8hrs x 5 = 40. Private companies work longer.
The major problem is europe and US where people take 2 or 3 jobs in order to make ends meet. They are the ones that work almost 24 hrs everyday for 7 days.
Kai!
This one na suicide mission... aswear!

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Puhrs: 10:26pm On May 17, 2021
Yes
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by pickatyouu: 10:27pm On May 17, 2021
In Nigeria not working 55hours increases the chances of losing your job which could lead to death.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by NOwazobia: 10:29pm On May 17, 2021
pickatyouu:
In Nigeria not working 55hours increases the chances of losing your job which could lead to death.
absolutely! grin
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Bluffly: 10:31pm On May 17, 2021
DamnnNiggarr:

Alright,

Why I asked this is because my friend(Chinedu Odebeatu) before he was made the B.D.M(business development manager), he normally leaves home between 6-7 a.m and he'll be in the office till 6-6.30 p.m that's around 12 hours
Now for one week (that's five working days)
We have 12x5 = 60 hours and that's assuming he didn't go to the office on weekend(but that was before he died).

My guy Nigerians are suffering,
I've even started thinking that he died as a result of the accumulation of the stress he underwent when he was just an ordinary bank staff.
Time of staying awake is different from time of work. I'm sure we aren't also considering activities we do at home or should we take them as work as well in this context.

Sorry about your friend. If work kills then a lot of petty labourers would have died. The problem here is constricting oneself to a sedative lifestyle, also most Nigerians are not aware of their state of health.
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by seyz91(m): 10:34pm On May 17, 2021
cheesy
MajesticKris:
Lol Ordinary driving in Lagos Traffic sef, pass 55 hours + Work is = ?
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by InvertedHammer: 10:34pm On May 17, 2021
leksdigital:
It's funny how we have normalize nonsense in this part of the world, you will even hear people boasting of how they work 14 hours a day and sleep for 2 hours like it's an achievement. An average Nigerian works 10 hours daily then spends another 5 hours in traffic.

This is why I love white folks. There is no time you go to the beach that you don't meet them there. These guys work hard but they understand you need to refuel, they come to the sea and relax. You notice how relaxing the beach are. It's therapeutic. It has a way of just easing your stress.
But you will see Nigerians, Monday to Friday you will wake up by 4:3am get on the road by 5am , get to work by 6;30 , then work from 6:30 to 7:00 because it's a crime for anyone to close at work at 5pm normal closing time. You'd be seen as unserious. Then when you finally close, you chill a little to avoid traffic or just enter the traffic.
If you enter traffic, you will spend another 3 hours to get home, by 10pm
If you chill till 9;30 you will get home by 11pm.

Most Nigerians spend 4 to 7 hours on the road daily.
Then Saturday that you are supposed to rest, it's one family engagement or owanbe which is equivalent to work. Cos the kind of dance people dance at party these days grin it's more than work o. Then you leave the party drunk which will further weaken your immune system which is already weak due to stress.
Then on Sunday , you go to church, from Church you'd go shopping for the things you need the coming week.
You Get home start making food for the new week. By evening na house fellowship. You'd come back tired, and the cycle begins the following week. Even God your creator rested on the seventh day.

Then you get burn out, instead of some people to take leave they will convert it to money and even get burned out more. and the ones that decides to take leave will spend it not even resting cos half of the time your company is still sending you work and you are working from home., There is no way you can be innovative under such situation.

Nobody gets creative in that kind of settings.

This is why I have learnt one thing, apart from the fact that I work from home as a freelancer, I spend my Mondays chilling at a luxury beach. Then work starts monday evening, then work till Friday. Saturday is work and rest then sunday evening is work
/
So even those that eat groundnut and gossip all day in the Secretariats are considered workers too?
/

3 Likes

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by seyz91(m): 10:35pm On May 17, 2021
cheesy
Dalil8:
Only 55 hrs? lol

grin
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by seyz91(m): 10:36pm On May 17, 2021
confirm!
HalpyBee:
Apt! Know this, know peace. The importance of setting limits cannot be overemphasized. When employees overwork, it makes them get tired of their work and frustrated. The only driving force is the pay they receive; no enthusiasm, joy.

“No job is worth the risk of stroke or heart disease. Governments, employers and workers need to work together to agree on limits to protect the health of workers.”

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by DamnnNiggarr: 10:37pm On May 17, 2021
Bluffly:

Time of staying awake is different from time of work. I'm sure we aren't also considering activities we do at home or should we take them as work as well in this context.

Sorry about your friend. If work kills then a lot of petty labourers would have died. The problem here is constricting oneself to a sedative lifestyle, also most Nigerians are not aware of their state of health.

You're welcome
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by captainamiedi1: 10:37pm On May 17, 2021
Na only God go help me lasun. because I work more than that.

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by damola1: 10:43pm On May 17, 2021
Calibrator:
Just realised that as a self employed entrepreneur, I actually work 112 hours every week. 7am - 11pm 24/7

Really committed to my grind.

Self employment is the wrongest job to have in my opinion.

And the reason is because you work till you drop

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Fcwilly: 10:43pm On May 17, 2021
Left home 4;30Am get to work 8am spend 3½hrs going to work close 4pm get home 9pm another 4hrs on the road. The hours spent at work and the one spent on the road which one kill faster? UN should come and do the calculation afresh for Nigeria especially Lagos workers.

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Monday60655(m): 10:48pm On May 17, 2021
So let say 24 × 7= 168
Then 168÷55 = 3.05
So in essence, you are telling Nigerian employers to allow their employees to work for 3 hours or less than that.
We know that it may obtainable in some countries, but not here in Nigeria.
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by blowjohn(m): 10:48pm On May 17, 2021
So doctors (house officers that do 1 week straight call in surgery nko?
That's like 5 × 24 hours.
Do the math
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by meobizy(f): 11:12pm On May 17, 2021
Studies show that breathing oxygen means a human being will die one day.
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Olam09(m): 11:21pm On May 17, 2021
Lmaooooo... i suppose don die niyen i dey work from 8 to 9pm everyday including sunday too..
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by snipernigga(m): 11:34pm On May 17, 2021
Just like Nigeria and corona virus, it will not work grin grin
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Joel3(m): 11:42pm On May 17, 2021
I work 10 hours a week.
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by chrizzyace: 12:02am On May 18, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

When a person dies, their sense of hearing is the last to go.

shocked

How did you know this? Are you talking from experience ? grin
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by PrimadonnaO(f): 12:02am On May 18, 2021
This needs to be emphasised.

And when you're doing this in a country like Nigeria, double tragedy.

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by ofiko123(m): 12:03am On May 18, 2021
How true is this ascertion..??
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by adolfHitler1934: 12:11am On May 18, 2021
leksdigital:
It's funny how we have normalize nonsense in this part of the world, you will even hear people boasting of how they work 14 hours a day and sleep for 2 hours like it's an achievement. An average Nigerian works 10 hours daily then spends another 5 hours in traffic.

This is why I love white folks. There is no time you go to the beach that you don't meet them there. These guys work hard but they understand you need to refuel, they come to the sea and relax. You notice how relaxing the beach are. It's therapeutic. It has a way of just easing your stress.
But you will see Nigerians, Monday to Friday you will wake up by 4:3am get on the road by 5am , get to work by 6;30 , then work from 6:30 to 7:00 because it's a crime for anyone to close at work at 5pm normal closing time. You'd be seen as unserious. Then when you finally close, you chill a little to avoid traffic or just enter the traffic.
If you enter traffic, you will spend another 3 hours to get home, by 10pm
If you chill till 9;30 you will get home by 11pm.

Most Nigerians spend 4 to 7 hours on the road daily.
Then Saturday that you are supposed to rest, it's one family engagement or owanbe which is equivalent to work. Cos the kind of dance people dance at party these days grin it's more than work o. Then you leave the party drunk which will further weaken your immune system which is already weak due to stress.
Then on Sunday , you go to church, from Church you'd go shopping for the things you need the coming week.
You Get home start making food for the new week. By evening na house fellowship. You'd come back tired, and the cycle begins the following week. Even God your creator rested on the seventh day.

Then you get burn out, instead of some people to take leave they will convert it to money and even get burned out more. and the ones that decides to take leave will spend it not even resting cos half of the time your company is still sending you work and you are working from home., There is no way you can be innovative under such situation.

Nobody gets creative in that kind of settings.

This is why I have learnt one thing, apart from the fact that I work from home as a freelancer, I spend my Mondays chilling at a luxury beach. Then work starts monday evening, then work till Friday. Saturday is work and rest then sunday evening is work
Thanks for educating us.

I have always wanted to go to Lagos and spend sometime chilling out in any of these holiday beach resort but my problems is how to find the right one.

Please kindly recommend some affordable and secured beach resort in Lagos someone can go and chill out with family or even alone....
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Maski87: 1:13am On May 18, 2021
Living in Nigeria increases risk of death
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by samsard(m): 1:54am On May 18, 2021
Gubularaska:
This na bullshit. Cos my Oga dey work on the average 70 hours a week. When I ask am, he day Ekon Musk e mentor dey work 16 hours a day and 3 wan beat am. Work many for e hand sha.
Just like all smokers will not go down with lung cancer, it still doesn't make smoking healthy. But it increases the likelihood or makes the risk much higher.

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Antoeni(m): 2:44am On May 18, 2021
UN Abeg Park Well, It’s Applicable to Africa.
Bills dey Pay

1 Like

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by faceland: 3:00am On May 18, 2021
I do 70+ hours
Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by MansoryMX(m): 3:35am On May 18, 2021
unity004:
cheesy grin grin cheesy grin grin grin Same as being a Chelsea Fan for the pass one week grin grin grin grin grin grin

Final burial on May 29th

Na service of song and wake keeping them do with Leicester FC for FA Cup. The Final burial na Champions league with Man City cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working 55 Hours A Week Increases Risk Of Death: UN by Nobody: 3:37am On May 18, 2021
Oju iku ni ojo isimi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Menstrual Cramps Disturbing Me Badly. Please What Can I Use For It? / I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child / Two Cases Of Omicron COVID Variant Detected In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.