Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,508 members, 7,816,230 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba (2020 Views)

Buhari: I’ll Deal With Bandits, Next President Must Secure Nigeria / IBB Reveals 7 Qualities Nigeria’s Next President Must Have / Next President Must Be From South - Southern Governors Agree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 4:02am On May 22, 2021
As a northerner, I can't think of one thing I have benefited from Buhari's government. On Buhari's watch, millions of northerners have been plunged deep into poverty. It's often said that Buhari adopts discriminatory policies towards to South, while this is undeniable, it's also incontrovertibly true that the north has borne the brunt of Buhari's ineptitude.

We bear the brunt of the nation's problems, from kidnapping to banditry. The northern region is beset by a myriad of problems. If you ask an average northerner if they have benefited from Buhari's government, the answer is most likely going to be a resounding "No".

In this video, I gave cogent reasons why I believe our next president should be Igbo or Yoruba. If you are from a minority tribe like Idoma, Ijaw, Tiv, Itshekiri, Tangale, Bini, Eshan, etc, I believe there are people from your tribes that are suitably qualified to lead this country, but at this juncture in Nigeria, we need someone from a tribe that has the numerical strength to withstand and resist the pressure, blackmail and political machinations of the North. Only two tribes, Igbo and Yoruba, can resist the Hausa/Fulani political elites.

I am not a self-hating northerner, so my preference for a southern president has everything to do with my notions of competence. I will not clamour for a northern president that will impoverish me when a southern president can turn my life around.

Obasanjo performed better than Goodluck Jonathan because the Yorubas had the numerical strength to withstand the political machinations of the North. Besides, the Yorubas have the nation's financial center, Lagos, they have the media and some of the finest educational institutions. On the contrary, GEJ was from a minority tribe and as such, couldn't resist the political machinations of the North. He was bullied and frustrated by northern Muslim politicians.

So it only makes sense that a tribe that can challenge the Hausa/Fulani political elites should produce the next president, until such a time when our democracy is mature enough for a president from a minority tribe.

In this short video, I gave, in brief, the strengths and weaknesses of our three past presidents, excluding Buhari (a disaster). Here is my opinion about an Igbo president.

Please, watch and subscribe to my channel. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuglQGdQOs

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by allcomage: 4:15am On May 22, 2021
Unfortunately, Biafra and Oduduwa Republics are their preferences.

4 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by Mabizeka: 4:23am On May 22, 2021
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but I think the Igbos will make a better president with the current situation in Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 4:31am On May 22, 2021
allcomage:
Unfortunately, Biafra and Oduduwa Republics are their preferences.

The clamour for Biafra and Oduduwa Republics will die down when Nigeria gets a just and visionary president.

Buhari can't marginalize certain tribes and expect them to be committed to a united Nigeria.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 4:32am On May 22, 2021
Mabizeka:
Even though I'm a Yoruba man but I think the Igbos will make a better president with the current situation in Nigeria

I tend to agree. An Igbo president would want to exceed all expectations and make Nigerians understand that they've been missing out on good leadership. Peter Obi will work wonders.

11 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by AlhajiNatty(m): 5:21am On May 22, 2021
A Nigerian President of South-East extraction would no doubt heal the land Nigeria.
The blood of innocent Igbos killed over the years would always impede the development of this country. Not unless Nigeria (and rest of Nigerians)apologizes and seeks forgiveness from Ndi Igbo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by Difrent: 5:36am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

I tend to agree. An Igbo president would want to exceed all expectations and make Nigerians understand that they've been missing out on good leadership. Peter Obi will work wonders.
I disagree. On two points
1. An ibo president NOW will be a disaster . He will be too busy trying to please everyone to perform, he will see himself as a bridge builder , the only thing he might achieve is to reduce seccesionists agitations
2. The Ibos person that will eventually win might not be an iboman popular with his people.(a rochas as president won't be as popular as an obi) Till today YORUBAS don't see Obj regime as representing the YORUBAS because they wanted another person .

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 5:43am On May 22, 2021
Difrent:

I disagree. On two points
1. An ibo president NOW will be a disaster . He will be too busy trying to please everyone to perform, he will see himself as a bridge builder , the only thing he might achieve is to reduce seccesionists agitations
2. The Ibos person that will eventually win might not be an iboman popular with his people.(a rochas as president won't be as popular as an obi) Till today YORUBAS don't see Obj regime as representing the YORUBAS because they wanted another person .

An Igbo president won't be able to please everyone, but acting as a bridge-builder would go a long way.

Obasanjo wasn't perfect. He had his inadequacies as president, but he did his best. Nigeria was respected. We had our place in the comity of nations.

I'd like to know why some Yorubas don't like him though.

6 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by LivingSage: 5:46am On May 22, 2021
Hairy chest Igbo man undecided
Mabizeka:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by LivingSage: 5:47am On May 22, 2021
Nothing like Igbo Presidency, no Igbos alive deserves Presidency this age. Until they learn to stop hating and let go off their pride
BinamRex:

2 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by LivingSage: 5:57am On May 22, 2021
If you like, change your Monika and report me to the mod and get me ban. It won't stop me from accessing nairaland with Monika you do not know
840fty:
[s][/s]
Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by Jesuschristus: 6:05am On May 22, 2021
Tribe has nothing to do with leadership or competence, u won't hear US citizen say Trump is from newyork,we want a president from Texas
Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by stupidmod3: 6:06am On May 22, 2021
i think its best be an edo man turn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 6:08am On May 22, 2021
LivingSage:
Nothing like Igbo Presidency, no Igbos alive deserves Presidency this age. Until they learn to stop hating and let go off their pride

You should be ashamed of yourself.

6 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 6:15am On May 22, 2021
Jesuschristus:
Tribe has nothing to do with leadership or competence, u won't hear US citizen say Trump is from newyork,we want a president from Texas

Watch my video to understand why I think it'd be better if the next president is Igbo or Yoruba. The fact that every state in the US has its police force doesn't mean Nigeria is ready for state policing. We have a peculiar democracy. One that the tribe or region of a candidate can be advantageous.

I look forward to the time when a politician's ideas would be prioritized more than his tribe in Nigeria.

And please, subscribe to my channel.
Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by cocolacec(m): 6:19am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

Igbo President will not be different from Igbo governors.Charity begins at home they say.Turn Igboland around for good before aiming for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 6:21am On May 22, 2021
stupidmod3:
i think its best be an edo man turn.

I like to think that Edo has great politicians, but would a politician from Edo be able to stand up to the North?We saw how the north ganged up against GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 6:26am On May 22, 2021
cocolacec:

Igbo President will not be different from Igbo governors.ycharity begins at home they say.Turn Igboland around for good before aiming for Nigeria.

Peter Obi will be different. I heard Dave Umahi is also a good leader. There are many others.

I wonder why the minister of information under OBJ, Mr. Frank Nweke Junior, chose to lie low. The man is very intelligent. He's getting my vote if he vies for the presidency.

1 Like

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by Sammy07: 6:29am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

An Igbo president won't be able to please everyone, but acting as a bridge-builder would go a long way.

Obasanjo wasn't perfect. He had his inadequacies as president, but he did his best. Nigeria was respected. We had our place in the comity of nations.

Because he did absolutely nothing for us.
We all know the character of OBJ that he's more of Pro Nigeria than Pro Yoruba.

Go and check election results.
He never won Ogun state and Yorubas.didnt vote for him at all (except 2003 where we have no choice).

Well, currently Yorubas are rooting for 3people

Osinbajo
Fashola
Adeshina

3 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by stupidmod3: 6:30am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

I like to think that Edo has great politicians, but would a politician from Edo be able to stand up to the North?We saw how the north ganged up against GEJ.

best we try again

1 Like

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 6:34am On May 22, 2021
Sammy07:

Because he did absolutely nothing for us.
We all know the character of OBJ that he's more of Pro Nigeria than Pro Yoruba.

Go and check election results.
He never won Ogun state and Yorubas.didnt vote for him at all (except 2003 where we have no choice).

Well, currently Yorubas are rooting for 3people

Osinbajo
Fashola
Adeshina

How is Obasanjo being pro Nigeria a bad thing? We have a president who is pro-Islam and pro-Fulani. Where has that led us?

3 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:39am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

The clamour for Biafra and Oduduwa Republics will die down when Nigeria gets a just and visionary president.

Buhari can't marginalize certain tribes and expect them to be committed to a united Nigeria.

It won't happen!
Nigeria can only produce ex coupist, criminals, certificate forgers and people with efcc cases, why? because it is a criminal enterprise that's why!

1 Like

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by Sammy07: 6:39am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

How is Obasanjo being pro Nigeria a bad thing? We have a president who is pro-Islam and pro-Fulani. Where has that led us?

Being a Pro Nigeria is a very bad thing esp with what PMB started.
You'll be a pro Nigeria, one ethnic group will be using cows to destroy your farms and you'll not be able to do anything.
Is that reasonable?

OBJ govt didn't benefit us. In South west we have a blue print we followed, we have a roadmap of regional integration and development.

BTW, Yorubas are yet to have a President.
We shall produce one in 2023.

2 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by Nobody: 6:41am On May 22, 2021
Nigerians of all tribes should stop looking for saviours and start looking for leaders, and more importantly start using the tools of demcoracy to mould their leaders into the ones they want.

We need that more than a Hausa, Yourba or Ibo president....because newsflash, even if they appoint an Ibo president, or a Yoruba president, things won't change in Nigeria.

We Nigerians seem to think demcoracy is just voting..and going home. It is much more than that.

2 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by Nobody: 6:42am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

It is mainly because OBJ is seen as somewhat of a traitor to the Yoruba cause and core struggle. He has sabotaged or tried to sabotage all of the greatest and most respected Yoruba political leaders in the post-independence history of Nigeria eg Awolowo, Abiola, Tinubu etal rather than work with them amiably and productively as an omoluabi should do.

Yorubas have long viewed OBJ, because of his actions, to be a megalomaniac determined to ensure no other Yoruba political leader is greater than him while he is alive.

Yorubas never forgave him for deliberstely scheming out Obafemi Awolowo , the "greatest President Nigeria never had" according to Ojukwu, for unknown school teacher Shehu Shagari who then went on to begin a hideously corrupt and inept phase of civilian democratic leadership that excused the Army to take over and truncate the progress of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 6:43am On May 22, 2021
StaffofOrayan:

It won't happen!
Nigeria can only produce ex coupist, criminals, certificate forgers and people with efcc cases, why? because it is a criminal enterprise that's why!

I hope 2023 is different.
Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:47am On May 22, 2021
BinamRex:

I hope 2023 is different.

Can't you see Abuja would be going soon?
Why don't Nigerians pay attention to their own damn country?
I know 2023 is the coping mechanism for a lot of people, you know a way to deal with the madness, but what is coming would shock everyone

2 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by BinamRex: 6:48am On May 22, 2021
Grayoso:

It is mainly because OBJ is seen as somewhat of a traitor to the Yoruba cause and core struggle. He has sabotaged or tried to sabotage all of the greatest and most respected Yoruba political leaders in the post-independence history of Nigeria eg Awolowo, Abiola, Tinubu etal.

Yorubas have long viewed OBJ, because of his actions, to be a megalomaniac determined to ensure no other Yoruba political leader is greater than him while he is alive.

Yorubas never forgave him for deliberstely scheming out Obafemi Awolowo , the "greatest President Nigeria never had" according to Ojukwu, for unknown school teacher Shehu Shagari who then went on to begin a hideously corrupt and inept phase of civilian democratic leadership that excused the Army to take over and truncate the progress of Nigeria.

Please, remove Tinubu from your list of greatest Yoruba political leaders. The man is partly responsible for our predicament. He foisted Buhari on us because of his political aspirations. He is power-hungry and corrupt.

Tinubu is a rogue. I heard he is wanted in the US. Let's not forget he had a hand in the massive rigging of 2019 presidential election. Let's not forget Lekki tollgate.

2 Likes

Re: A Northerner's Opinion: Why Our Next President Must Be Igbo Or Yoruba by cocolacec(m): 7:07am On May 22, 2021
Tinubu for President

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja Court Ruling: Tinubu, Ekiti Gov-elect, APC Candidates Risk Disqualificatio / What The Country Said About 25% In FCT In Similar Case In The Past. / DSS Operatives Beat Man For Overtaking Convoy Of Kano Governor (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.