Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,483 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! - Business (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! (25363 Views)

Poll: How do you feel about this?

it's a dumb idea: 74% (218 votes)
it's a smart idea: 25% (75 votes)
This poll has ended

Know The States That Controls 90% Cash Transactions in Nigeria-cbn / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms / Sanusi (CBN) Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by seyibrown(f): 12:52pm On May 01, 2011
[b]Given the absence of an ombudsman to protect consumer's interests, it will be fraud galore for thieving bankers when Sanusi puts the fate of thousands of Illiterate Mama Sikiras in the hands of the all-powerful bankers!  angry Educated people have been victims of bankers' fraud; what chance have illterate business people got with rude and helpful bank staff, 'ever-down' and infiltrable computer systems and fraudsters? Small time bank balance of 10,000,000,000.00 go become 1,000,000,000.00 and Iya Sikira no go even get clue! CONSUMER PROTECTION AND EDUCATION FIRST! The penalties to be imposed for withdrawing one's own money is totally ridiculous! The 'not so rich' will suffer for it! The idea is welcome but the penalties aren't. Businesses who need to pay out cash totalling more than limit a day will suffer as well considering that not all consumers are banked and not all small business accept cards or bank transfers! Even some government offices take in more than the limit daily. Who ultimately bears the cost of the penalties? Poor consumers will be twice done over! .  . . . . .  and while they are at this their money laundering control 'thing' it, they should consider mandating that all payments to government offices be paid into the bank.  . . . . . nigerian citizens are getting shafted everday by corrupt 'government officials who do not have to account for the unreceipted fees forced on the citizenry! CASH PAYMENTS AT GOVERNMENT OFFICES SHOULD BE STOPPED! angry[/b]
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by rockfela: 12:54pm On May 01, 2011
Sanusi will be d first peson to violet dis rule. U shud be considerable & amend dis policy it's very harsh on d citizens
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 01, 2011
of course it would not affect the elites who have foriegn accounts angry
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by troy07: 3:48pm On May 01, 2011
Good move by the CBN.I hope the FG is not excluded from this
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by yeswecan(m): 4:07pm On May 01, 2011
Avalani:

Personally, I consider this to be ridiculous. Economists in the house might quote inflated financial jargons to support this move, but the simple truth is, in business any idea that restricts the customer and offers him less choice is a poor one.

Thanks - we need more freedom and encouragement to small businessess - this policy in action does the opposite.

mrjingles:

Its obvious many of us do not understand this policy, we are using "dugbe market" analysis. No need commenting further on this, it would be a dialogue of he deaf.

Anyways you guys can vent away while the train moves on. Instead  of you "young intelligent Nigerians" on NLand to think of how to key into this you are busy making meaningless comments. "those saying something is impossible are interrupting those busy DOING the 'impossible'.  When chinese and south africans take over the market you will start grumbling about "foreigners taking all our money" I dey go jare.

There is no sophisticated economics here - this is plain and simple " Policies are created either to encourage or discourgae open market operations" it is quite easy to spot what this policy is designed to do. If we have the basic physical and organizational structures to turn to electronic transaction, fine, it should be a passive and unreactive chance rather than an active revolutionary process.

FREEDOM is one thing any good policy maker would keep and promote -
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by megawave(m): 6:35pm On May 01, 2011
This guy called sanusi is MAD. the same idiot made banks to withdraw all ATM machines that are not within banking premises and if you must use ATM u must get to the bank, so why do we have the machines in the first place cos its purpose has been defeated. Even if you withdraw N100k at the counter they will charge you N200. all what those embattled banks are after is just ripping off free cash from the public.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by megawave(m): 6:42pm On May 01, 2011
This guy called sanusi is MAD. the same idiot made banks to withdraw all ATM machines that are not within banking premises and if you must use ATM u must get to the bank, so why do we have the machines in the first place cos its purpose has been defeated. Even if you withdraw N100k at the counter they will charge you N200. all what those embattled banks are after is just ripping off free cash from the public.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by ballachi101(m): 8:27pm On May 01, 2011
I believe there is a catch to it somewhere, though I prefer a cashless society,its gonna have lots of problems with the way these ATM's refuse to dispense cash when you most need it, [color=#990000][/color]
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 01, 2011
My worry is; ATM machines keep swallowing cards.

The good thing is. I wont be able to spend more than 250k in day. Thats 150k over the counter and 100k at the Machine.

It will encourage deposits by Checks, but the banks are already understaffed due to earlier CBN policies.

We do not have a standard ACH system in Nigeria for interbank transfers.

This is gonna have a SAP effect.

There is no single bank in my village, instead of and even if there is, people will prefer to keep 1m or more under their bed in case there emergency expenses to be made. I dont see myself putting all my money in a bank and begging for a paltry 150k a day in cash.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by seyibrown(f): 10:43pm On May 01, 2011
megawave:

This guy called sanusi is MAD. the same made banks to withdraw all ATM machines that are not within banking premises and if you must use ATM u must get to the bank, so why do we have the machines in the first place cos its purpose has been defeated. Even if you withdraw N100k at the counter they will charge you N200. all what those embattled banks are after is just ripping off free cash from the public.

WHAT shocked Given security issues in Nigeria, good move but it does reduce customers' access to their money. Thank God say before corn dey, na something chicken dey chop o! wink
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Sagewood: 1:48am On May 02, 2011
This is a complete Idiotic move. I am losing my respect for Sanusi. A case of leaping before thinking and putting the cart before the horse.
Simple and common sense would dictate that CBN set up necessary systems in place before even attempting this draconian and dictatorial imposition. IT IS DOOMED! Besides, there is no where on earth that this sort of banking practice is in place. A step in the wrong direction. What will happen to millions of rural dwellers and small business people across the country? How about many illiterate traders? A court challenge will be mounted to stop this madness.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by DisGuy: 2:02am On May 02, 2011
Sagewood:

This is a complete Idiotic move. I am losing my respect for Sanusi. A case of leaping before thinking and putting the cart before the horse.
Simple and common sense would dictate that CBN set up necessary systems in place before even attempting this draconian and dictatorial imposition. IT IS DOOMED! Besides, there is no where on earth that this sort of banking practice is in place. A step in the wrong direction. What will happen to millions of rural dwellers and small business people across the country? How about many illiterate traders? A court challenge will be mounted to stop this madness.

necessary systems such as?

there's no place on earth like africa/nigeria, every country tailor its own solution to its own problem

how many rural dwellers withdraw 150,000 in a day? in fact how many urban dwellers withdraw that much everyday?

80% still lives on less than $2 a day right?

millions of small business people will adopt the new system once they understand it, they'll be happy to offer their customers MORE payment choice instead of being left out, they will be glad they dont have to carry so much cash home after a hard days work, they'd be happy store workers are not dipping their hands into the tills every time oga goes for akpu break
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by member479760: 4:35am On May 02, 2011
Just consider those under-registered and under-educated traders that make bulk of our daily business dealing with checks and cards where electricity is still a big issue. Even in USA some small business don't accept check or card from naijas.

If we want to copy lets copy well, in the USA, individual can make a deposite of $9999.00, above that you only fill declaration and no penalty. it's your money.

Lets copy something that is perfect in which all we see the result in black and white, NO PROOF NEEDED, NO TALK IS NEEDED.

IF WE CAN'T GIVE OURSELF 24HRS OF ELECTRICITY AS OF TODAY MAY 01 2011 THEN ALL WHAT WE ARE DOING IS JUST TRASH.

NIGERIANS ARE GOOD IN EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT PERFECT.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by chamber2(m): 6:02am On May 02, 2011

80% still lives on less than $2 a day right?[/quote

stop quoting this adulterated statistics please.Who told you that those in the rural areas do not trade in millions of naira per day?Visit Afogbe in Mbaise in Imo state and see where people roll out millions everyday. Majority trade in building materials, oil products, fertilizers etc. In fact, my mum sells stock fish and rolls out hundreds of thousands per day. This is applicable to most people in the rural area.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by morakone(m): 8:17am On May 02, 2011
It is good to make policy but what about the workability I belief all needed infrastructures and logistics should have be in operation before you now set a deadline. Electricity is a major factor here and see where we are. Anyway this ploicy will fail as well as innocent citizen will suffer from it the problem poses by use of ATMs' is still there I know some pple that lost money thru this fraud and bank refuse to pay them saying it was their carelessness, I just hope policy makers are facing reality on this issue. CONSIDER YOURSELF ORGANIZING EVENT NEED 2 BUY 2 COWS HOW WILL U PAY? BUY INGREDENTS TO PREPARE IT ? IT IS A SERIOUS PRACTICAL ISSUES I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE FAQS ON THIS ISSUE AND KNOW THE EXTENT THIS WILL AFFECT INFORMAL SECTOR
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Ossaifamous(m): 12:58pm On May 02, 2011
This can be a fine policy but E shouldn't make it look like he's forcing Nigerians in its implementation,
E is just tryin to make Nigerians more open to banking and use of credit cards
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by odedele: 1:58pm On May 02, 2011
everyone keeps watching untill dis clueless mallam kill our economy wit his "as d spirit direct" policies
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Seun(m): 2:20pm On May 02, 2011
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by lastpage: 3:14pm On May 02, 2011
As Naija peeps, we like to "posse", "swagger" and "blow big/heavy grammar" INSTEAD of addressing the core-issues!

Let me quote someone else: @dremoney
Our space satellite technology got to be up and running.Most households must have access to uninterrupted power supply with good broadband internet connection, Then we can start talking about policies like this, dudes actually more foooolish than i thot,

Let me ask: Since we can have "free VIDEO CALLS" via most social-network applications like SKYPE, MESSENGER, GOOGLE-TALK, and about ten other different ones, WHY HAVE MOST NIGERIANS NOT MIGRATED TO USING SUCH "FREE" VIDEO-CALL APPLICATIONS BUT RATHER STILL PAY FOR VOICE-CALLS, AT EXORBITANT PRICE?

A honest, soul-searching ANSWER to the above questions will point us to the right direction, in implementing whatever policies SANUSI wants to implement!
Now, let me answer the question above: Its because of the same reasons quoted above: POOR OR UNAVAILABLE INFRASTRUCTURES to make it work properly!

I tried using Skype/Fring for my video calls but the "Bandwidth" at the Naija end is soo low, they could hardly make a connection!
It breaks off every ten seconds and tells me it cannot carry video!
When l revert back to "voice-only", it works for a minute and then "automatically disconnects!
Meanwhile, "Abroad", l use my Broadband connection to STREAM my Home-Surveillance System, to my Mobile Phone, from work! Thats how easy it is.

Yet, in the same "Abroad", I still occasionally have reason to pay "cash" for purchases made in the store, l even paid cash for a 42" LED TV!
it was a matter of "choice", as l have Credit cards for two of my checking Accounts! No one penalized me! ITS MY MONEY!

If l wanted to withdraw/Save 10Grand, l only need to EXPLAIN the SOURCE of my money (very reasonable) and l still make my transactions! NO FINE!! The bank actually give me "incentives" to make purchases using my card, for example, l dont pay "online banking charges" in the month, if l can make at least ten purchases, using the card! Does that not make sense, Than "imposing a fine"? shocked angry

Thus, the issue we should be addressing (Which Sanusi should have made his priority) are:

1.)How can we ensure uninterrupted Power Supply?: I've heard some talk about batteries but please, why cant we aspire to be intelligent  people and do things properly? They dont use battery to power their business in advance economies, BATTERIES ARE USED AS BACKUP, SHOULD THE MAIN, ONLINE POWER SUPPLY SYSTEM GETS SHUT-DOWN FOR A FEW MINUTES (e.g if there is a problem, like an accident or terrorist attack!)
But Nigerians want to turn it to our "MAIN SYSTEM" in Nigeria? angry angry
Let us tackle power first, then we can think of "cashless" next, in that order!

2.) How can we ensure EVERY HOUSEHOLD HAS ACCESS TO INTERNET?: There is about as much you can do from a "mobile phone" due to its "limited screen-size and keypad". I-Pad, Tablets and Touch-Screens are coming up but still way-too expensive for every Tom, Di-ck and Harry in Naija, for now.  
In advanced countries, as you build a house, the cables for LANDLINE TELEPHONES are laid immediately. This is the bedrock of BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS! GSM/Wireless internet has LIMITED BANDWIDTH, even in advance countries and that is why they are called "Mobile Access" (for use on the-go and in emergencies).
For a "landline-based" Broadband Internet, it is way cheaper and for just 20GBP or $30 or 25Euros, you can install some 5MB (Upload) / 50MB (download) Broadband access which will allow you do wonderful things on the Web and take advantage of all the E-Commerce in the world.
In Nigeria, that "useless thing they call BROADBAND internet" is at best, a very good DIAL-UP SERVICE! And it costs so much! Anyone who has used "REAL BROADBAND" abroad will attest to this.
If you use Nigeria's current "epileptic internet service" while trying to  make a payment, it will "BREAK MID-WAY AND YOU WILL END-UP PAYING MORE THAN ONCE! Who will help you get your money back in Nigeria? Is it Sanusi or GEJ? grin What if your Phone runs out of battery juice, mid-way? wink Abegii, now?

The "INCENTIVE" to go "cashless" is in the "[color=#000099]cheapness,  smartness, ease, safety and security of the system; NOT SOME FUNKY-MALLAM who graduated in [b]Islamic Studies from Sudan university, IMPOSING FINES ON YOU FOR WITHDRAWING OF SAVING YOUR MONEY! And you still reserve the right not to take advantage of it![/color][/b]
How do we expect a "Sharia-Graduate" to properly "drive technology" properly? The innate lapses will always come-up at crucial times like this.

Thus, what are we going to do, to ensure "MOST" houses have access to a decent Broadband Internet Access?
What is the government and Sanusi himself going to do about this, FIRST' before IMPOSING "CASHLESS" ON US?

Or are we just a Nation that punishes its people, even when they are not given or have an OPTION?
Lets put FIRST THINGS FIRST, before we start copying GOOD THINGS from Abroad.
Am not saying going cashless is not good, it is very desirable.
Those talking about it as "providing business opportunities" for jobs like "Merchants" should have asked themselves: How come we dont have CCTV Monitoring for our streets and important locations, as obtained in the U.S? How come all our street lights dont work 24/7 as obtainable Abroad? How come EVERY HOUSEHOLD still has to sleep under the NOISE AND FUMES of Mechanical GENERATORS, in the 21st century? How come we are still short of fuel (better under GEJ) and Kerosine, even when we are a major producer of Crude oil and we are not under   any sanctions like Iran (who apparently produces enough fuel/Kerosine and exports the excess?)

Finally, any sensible NATION with good leaders WILL ORDER ITS PRIORITIES  of a "Scale of Preference" (as we were taught in O-LEVEL Economics) and "solve them" from the highest, to the lowest!
Which is more important to Nigeria NOW: being "Cashless" or having the tools (Power and Internet Broadband) to become Cashless in future?

Cant we for once, LEARN TO CRAWL BEFORE TRYING TO RUN? Are we a jinxed nation? What manner of "Leaders" are ruling this country sef?

Nuff said.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Koolking(m): 3:51pm On May 02, 2011
@Dremoney and hercules07: I doubt if you were able to wire USD20K within a week. I use Zenith Bank/GTB and ETB. ETB's is a little flexible, but Zenith is strict. I used to transfer USD10,000 per week not until April 1, 2010 when I received their circular that the offshore amount has been reduced to USD5000 per week. This policy favours bank at the detriment of it customers.

Instead of incurring an offshore charge of USD30 for transferring USD50000, a customer will now be compelled to split the USD50000 into USD5000 each per week, and incurring USD30 per USD5000 transferred for the week. I see this as a huge rip-off. Pls, kindly advise your bank may be I need to switch because this policy affect our business negatively.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by skelemba: 9:02pm On May 02, 2011
To know what's happening in your world, follow us @mypages10 on twitter. If you are not on twitter, stay abreast and get a free twitter account. www.twitter.com/mypages10.
Also get a chance to win free recharge cards on our weekly quiz. Tell your friends and family.
Email us on mypages1.0@gmail.com for enquiry. The Weekly quiz holds every Sunday from 4pm-6pm.
Prize goes to the first correct answer via retweet.(Please do not send your answers via direct message) do let us know the mobile network you use alongside your answer when you are retweeting.
U can also say that '@mypages10 provides u with the latest tweets on what's happening around the globe so you can be sure to stay intouch with you world even as you tweet.
Please Note weekly quiz start from the 22nd of may 2011
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Dauchman(m): 10:58pm On May 02, 2011
I think some people have gotten the wrong idea. The CBN is not saying you cannot take out more than 150k from your account at any given time, the thing is you cannot take it out as cash or you get fined, so you have to use some form of e-payment to do this.

I think the right questions now would be to ask the CBN how they intend to make e-payments work properly before enforcing this, considering that power and the infrastructure needed to have a good payment system is not in place. For example our internet services is still light years behind. And of course the banks cannot improve this on their own. There has to be very good and fast payment systems on ground for this to work. So that people can sit in their homes, on their banks internet banking page they can make transfers to anyone in the country and outside the country, without having to go to the bank.

They have to consider all the necessary things needed before adopting this new measure in 2012 or it would cause chaos instead of helping the system.

P.S a cashless society is very ideal, it would save a lot of problems if we get it right. It would also help reduce corruption as we would have evidence of every transaction carried out.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by DisGuy: 11:18pm On May 02, 2011
Dauchman:

I think some people have gotten the wrong idea. The CBN is not saying you cannot take out more than 150k from your account at any given time, the thing is you cannot take it out as cash or you get fined, so you have to use some form of e-payment to do this.

I think the right questions now would be to ask the CBN how they intend to make e-payments work properly before enforcing this, considering that power and the infrastructure needed to have a good payment system is not in place. For example our internet services is still light years behind. And of course the banks cannot improve this on their own. There has to be very good and fast payment systems on ground for this to work. So that people can sit in their homes, on their banks internet banking page they can make transfers to anyone in the country and outside the country, without having to go to the bank.

They have to consider all the necessary things needed before adopting this new measure in 2012 or it would cause chaos instead of helping the system.

P.S a cashless society is very ideal, it would save a lot of problems if we get it right. It would also help reduce corruption as we would have evidence of every transaction carried out.

Chams, interswitch and many more already provide the service, if the infrastructure is not there these guys would have been out of business and many upcoming service companies wont even bother

people already sit at home to conduct internet transactions in Nigeria. . . .
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by intrepid: 2:47am On May 03, 2011
Whatevea description given to this or howevea we understand it,i guess we are moving in the right direction.

The only problem with this knd of policy in Naija is that it will create a lot of difficulties at first,and also before then Nigerian would have fine=tuned a thousand and one ways of beating the huddle and somehow reducing the impact o themselves and even rubbishing the entire stuff.

Yes we've got a lot of sane brains in this country and Sanusi is one of them.

Mallam, abeg carry gwo.Baa magana!
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by hushmail: 6:51am On May 03, 2011
[size=8pt][size=8pt]i totally support cashless economy, but thats not how the oyiboes achieved theirs. there should be a better way.[/size][/size]
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Sagamite(m): 9:14am On May 03, 2011
Brilliant, brilliant move by this brilliant brilliant man called Sanusi.

The next thing is to ensure any electronic transfer fees/charges is monitored with eagle eyes.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by dillikonko: 12:17pm On May 03, 2011
The "INCENTIVE" to go "cashless" is in the "cheapness, smartness, ease, safety and security of the system; NOT SOME FUNKY-MALLAM who graduated in Islamic Studies from Sudan university, IMPOSING FINES ON YOU FOR WITHDRAWING OF SAVING YOUR MONEY! And you still reserve the right not to take advantage of it!
How do we expect a "Sharia-Graduate" to properly "drive technology" properly? The innate lapses will always come-up at crucial times like this.

Thus, what are we going to do, to ensure "MOST" houses have access to a decent Broadband Internet Access? What is the government and Sanusi himself going to do about this, FIRST' before IMPOSING "CASHLESS" ON US?

Or are we just a Nation that punishes its people, even when they are not given or have an OPTION?
Those talking about it as "providing business opportunities" for jobs like "Merchants" should have asked themselves: How come we dont have CCTV Monitoring for our streets and important locations, as obtained in the U.S? How come all our street lights dont work 24/7 as obtainable Abroad? How come EVERY HOUSEHOLD still has to sleep under the NOISE AND FUMES of Mechanical GENERATORS, in the 21st century? How come we are still short of fuel (better under GEJ) and Kerosine, even when we are a major producer of Crude oil and we are not under any sanctions like Iran (who apparently produces enough fuel/Kerosine and exports the excess?)

Finally, any sensible NATION with good leaders WILL ORDER ITS PRIORITIES of a "Scale of Preference" (as we were taught in O-LEVEL Economics) and "solve them" from the highest, to the lowest!
Which is more important to Nigeria NOW: being "Cashless" or having the tools (Power and Internet Broadband) to become Cashless in future?

Cant we for once, LEARN TO CRAWL BEFORE TRYING TO RUN? Are we a jinxed nation? What manner of "Leaders" are ruling this country sef?

I agree with almost all ur comments and observations but i think in a way you have digressed form the main issue and misdirected your grieiances at the wrong person.Do not forget that Sanusi has a job to do and if he's proposing this at this point in time,it is left for who ever has appointed him to put all the other pressing issues in the scale of preference as u said.What has Sanusi got to do with providing us with good light,internet services,etc.He's doing as much as he can in the banking sector and i think other people that are appointed to provide Nigerians with these other amenities should be doing their jobs too and be responsible at that too.
I totally feel u in terms of doing more other things that directly impact our daily lives rather than priortising a cashless society at this point. As u said we need to learn how to crawl before walking rather than trying to run. We actually seem like a jinxed nation(God forbid) at times.
GEJ for the next 4yrs, can he provide us with all of these?
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by DeepSight(m): 7:12pm On May 03, 2011
lastpage:

As Naija peeps, we like to "posse", "swagger" and "blow big/heavy grammar" INSTEAD of addressing the core-issues!

Let me quote someone else: @dremoney
Let me ask: Since we can have "free VIDEO CALLS" via most social-network applications like SKYPE, MESSENGER, GOOGLE-TALK, and about ten other different ones, WHY HAVE MOST NIGERIANS NOT MIGRATED TO USING SUCH "FREE" VIDEO-CALL APPLICATIONS BUT RATHER STILL PAY FOR VOICE-CALLS, AT EXORBITANT PRICE?

A honest, soul-searching ANSWER to the above questions will point us to the right direction, in implementing whatever policies SANUSI wants to implement!
Now, let me answer the question above: Its because of the same reasons quoted above: POOR OR UNAVAILABLE INFRASTRUCTURES to make it work properly!

I tried using Skype/Fring for my video calls but the "Bandwidth" at the Naija end is soo low, they could hardly make a connection!
It breaks off every ten seconds and tells me it cannot carry video!
When l revert back to "voice-only", it works for a minute and then "automatically disconnects!
Meanwhile, "Abroad", l use my Broadband connection to STREAM my Home-Surveillance System, to my Mobile Phone, from work! Thats how easy it is.

Yet, in the same "Abroad", I still occasionally have reason to pay "cash" for purchases made in the store, l even paid cash for a 42" LED TV!
it was a matter of "choice", as l have Credit cards for two of my checking Accounts! No one penalized me! ITS MY MONEY!

If l wanted to withdraw/Save 10Grand, l only need to EXPLAIN the SOURCE of my money (very reasonable) and l still make my transactions! NO FINE!! The bank actually give me "incentives" to make purchases using my card, for example, l dont pay "online banking charges" in the month, if l can make at least ten purchases, using the card! Does that not make sense, Than "imposing a fine"? shocked angry

Thus, the issue we should be addressing (Which Sanusi should have made his priority) are:

1.)How can we ensure uninterrupted Power Supply?: I've heard some talk about batteries but please, why cant we aspire to be intelligent people and do things properly? They dont use battery to power their business in advance economies, BATTERIES ARE USED AS BACKUP, SHOULD THE MAIN, ONLINE POWER SUPPLY SYSTEM GETS SHUT-DOWN FOR A FEW MINUTES (e.g if there is a problem, like an accident or terrorist attack!)
But Nigerians want to turn it to our "MAIN SYSTEM" in Nigeria? angry angry
Let us tackle power first, then we can think of "cashless" next, in that order!

2.) How can we ensure EVERY HOUSEHOLD HAS ACCESS TO INTERNET?: There is about as much you can do from a "mobile phone" due to its "limited screen-size and keypad". I-Pad, Tablets and Touch-Screens are coming up but still way-too expensive for every Tom, Di-ck and Harry in Naija, for now.
In advanced countries, as you build a house, the cables for LANDLINE TELEPHONES are laid immediately. This is the bedrock of BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS! GSM/Wireless internet has LIMITED BANDWIDTH, even in advance countries and that is why they are called "Mobile Access" (for use on the-go and in emergencies).
For a "landline-based" Broadband Internet, it is way cheaper and for just 20GBP or $30 or 25Euros, you can install some 5MB (Upload) / 50MB (download) Broadband access which will allow you do wonderful things on the Web and take advantage of all the E-Commerce in the world.
In Nigeria, that "useless thing they call BROADBAND internet" is at best, a very good DIAL-UP SERVICE! And it costs so much! Anyone who has used "REAL BROADBAND" abroad will attest to this.
If you use Nigeria's current "epileptic internet service" while trying to make a payment, it will "BREAK MID-WAY AND YOU WILL END-UP PAYING MORE THAN ONCE! Who will help you get your money back in Nigeria? Is it Sanusi or GEJ? grin What if your Phone runs out of battery juice, mid-way? wink Abegii, now?

The "INCENTIVE" to go "cashless" is in the "[color=#000099]cheapness, smartness, ease, safety and security of the system; NOT SOME FUNKY-MALLAM who graduated in [b]Islamic Studies from Sudan university, IMPOSING FINES ON YOU FOR WITHDRAWING OF SAVING YOUR MONEY! And you still reserve the right not to take advantage of it![/color][/b]

Thus, what are we going to do, to ensure "MOST" houses have access to a decent Broadband Internet Access?
What is the government and Sanusi himself going to do about this, FIRST' before IMPOSING "CASHLESS" ON US?

Those talking about it as "providing business opportunities" for jobs like "Merchants" should have asked themselves: How come we dont have CCTV Monitoring for our streets and important locations, as obtained in the U.S? How come all our street lights dont work 24/7 as obtainable Abroad? How come EVERY HOUSEHOLD still has to sleep under the NOISE AND FUMES of Mechanical GENERATORS, in the 21st century? How come we are still short of fuel (better under GEJ) and Kerosine, even when we are a major producer of Crude oil and we are not under any sanctions like Iran (who apparently produces enough fuel/Kerosine and exports the excess?)

Finally, any sensible NATION with good leaders WILL ORDER ITS PRIORITIES of a "Scale of Preference" (as we were taught in O-LEVEL Economics) and "solve them" from the highest, to the lowest!

Nuff said.

Thank you joor.

Can you imagine the Policy? ? ? If I want to withdraw N1 Million I will have to pay 85k as penalties!

Gosh!
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by lastpage: 1:36am On May 04, 2011
@dillikonko
I agree with almost all your comments and observations but i think in a way you have digressed form the main issue and misdirected your grieviances at the wrong person.Do not forget that Sanusi has a job to do and if he's proposing this at this point in time,it is left for who ever has appointed him to put all the other pressing issues in the scale of preference as u said.What has Sanusi got to do with providing us with good light,internet services,etc.He's doing as much as he can in the banking sector and i think other people that are appointed to provide Nigerians with these other amenities should be doing their jobs too and be responsible at that too.
I totally feel u in terms of doing more other things that directly impact our daily lives rather than priortising a cashless society at this point. As u said we need to learn how to crawl before walking rather than trying to run. We actually seem like a jinxed nation(God forbid) at times.
GEJ for the next 4yrs, can he provide us with all of these?

Thanks for your observations.
I took "all of them" (the current government and its cabinet members), in one swoop.
Why? I want to believe that such decision, as "announced" by Sanusi, is a "POLICY DECISION" and thus, represents the thinking of "government".
Maybe l am wrong, but l feel the fiscal and financial responsibility of the CBN (represented by its Governor) impacts not just the "cash" that we spend/earn, but our entire life and lifestyle!

Look at it this way: The CBN (and l will often use Sanusi and CBN interchangeably cos he represents CBN and makes "binding" policy pronouncements by CBN"wink can make useless, our earnings and investments (by devaluation, rate-manipulation, e.t.c) and it can increase the value of our toil, if it wants. It can makes us poorer or richer, indirectly! Since we "the citizens" constitute the "country", we can then infer that "if you ruin the "individuals", you have also ruined the country".

So, if Sanusi, through policy formulations "advices and directs" government properly, it could mean that "each household has more expendable money in its purse", government has more money to invest in structural projects (road, communications structures, power, e.t.c.) and life gets better for the ordinary man on the streets. They are all connected.

Imagine, how do l pay my "artisans" (bricklayers, Carpenters, Labourers,e.t.c) at the end of their working day, if all l can withdraw as CASH, for that day is 150K? How do l pay the driver of the Tipper that deposited sand/Gravel or do l ask each one of the above mentioned workers to come along with their Point-Of-Sale (POS) terminal so l can "swipe" my "Gold card" grin like Uncle Sanusi has directed? shocked

I also dont think it is Sanusi's job is to "misplace priorities on our behalf", with our hard earned income/individual wealth, by introducing policies and making it "urgent" (with penalties!), that we go cashless, at all cost, even when it is obvious that we are not only ill-prepared right now, but we are likely to just punish our citizens for no good reason!

It all boils down to "doing the right thing at the right time"!

Let me repeat, going 'cashless' has huge advantages and we will have to, WHEN WE ARE SET TO, because the "structures required" to make such transition "smooth and successful" as is the case in advanced economies, ARE IN PLACE.

Tanx, again.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by thoth: 2:09am On May 06, 2011
This is the sort of thing that keeps our leaders DIFFERENT from the likes of Qaddafi.

[b]After having their economy in disarray due to their own mismanagement, it is not surprising that they IMF and World Bank will be persuading the Nigerian Central Bank to further devalue its currency so that those nations concerned even though they have totally mismanaged their own economy should still be enjoying the stronger purchasing power due to exchange rate advantage while the ordinary Nigerian man's labour continues to be bought for less than a penny.
It has been agreed that further currency devaluation was one of the compromises that Goodluck Jonathan accepted on his visit to the white house on his quest for Power, Nevertheless the first incursion of such change came at a very bad timing , It is important that we understand that the IMF request to further devalue the economy was rejected not because it is unreasonable or that they were concerned for the destructive effects of such policy but that it would be a disadvantage for the incumbent government which hopes to retain power on the coming election, they know too well that implementing such policy will take the masses support away from them, so it becomes a question of the right time not the right purpose because for all we know the policy is already implemented, [/b]

ARIS-EI Dept Report#430221 Date: Feb,03,2011.

There are several options available to the administration to carry out the IMF request(currency devaluation) but we would look at the two main ways that is the norm in Africa, first, it can be blatantly dropped on the masses as usual considering the ordinary citizen has no say whatsoever in the running of the supposedly democratic nation and that 95% of the population are ignorant of the national economics altogether or a subtle and less conspicuous implementation may be chosen where the currency is being devalued gradually and the ignorant masses will simply accept it as a norm(see, EI Report#430104) and it will simply go as “ Our currency is falling” which is the usual way the masses see it in such cases. which ever method they wish to choose it would still have the same catastrophic outcome one more subtle than the other,

ARIS-EI Dept Report#430283 Date:April,26,2011.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Genius100: 2:29am On May 06, 2011
There are a lot of funny people in this world sha. Do you guys think Sanusi did not consider all the elementary objections you guys have? Is Sanusi not aware of the lack of infrastructure in Nigeria? It's obvious to me that this policy will not be implemented, if by June 2012, the infrastructure needed to make it work is not widely available,  Make una relax. By the way you don't need electricity to operate electronic payments. There are a lot of battery operated machines that process e-payments with ease. Virtually all the small time traders in Brazil had one the last time I went to Brazil,
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by samtoye(m): 4:56pm On May 06, 2011
The move is applausible but premature. Nigeria's cashless world is not perfected yet so the rule would result to feeding the populace to the hungry banks. Remember how they capitalized on the CBN directive that reciever of money transfer must do so with a bank account holders verification, banks insisted it means to collect money transfer from them you must have an account with them. Also all these ATM wahala, theft of money electronical, POS machine failure would make the citizens losers and the banks winners!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Jumia Dispatch Rider Punches & Manhandles Customer For Rejecting An Item / Over 0.5 Goals Punters Calling / How To Start Mini Importation Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.