Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,125 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! - Business (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! (25361 Views)

Poll: How do you feel about this?

it's a dumb idea: 74% (218 votes)
it's a smart idea: 25% (75 votes)
This poll has ended

Know The States That Controls 90% Cash Transactions in Nigeria-cbn / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms / Sanusi (CBN) Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by DisGuy: 9:09pm On May 06, 2011
Deep Sight:

Thank you joor.

Can you imagine the Policy? ? ? If I want to withdraw N1 Million I will have to pay 85k as penalties!

Gosh!

sorry why would you want to withdraw 1million cash, na u kill abacha?
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by DisGuy: 9:15pm On May 06, 2011
Lemo, however, pointed out that the limit was not total as those who wished to withdraw more than the stipulated amount could do so, but for a fee.

He said, “There is no way we can run an efficient economy if we don’t develop e-Payment transactions. We spend billions of naira every year on cash printing. [size=16pt]In fact, we spent over N34bn printing cash last year. We can’t continue to incur such costs.
[/size]
Banks also spend too much time processing cash. This makes them to focus more on minor functions at the expense of major ones. Banking is not about processing cash. Let them do proper intermediation by ensuring that the bulk of their transactions are more efficient and cost-effective.”

He disclosed that the apex bank had already put in place measures to match the ATM deployment of Mexico by deploying over 100,000 Point of Sales terminals by 2012.

“By 2015, we hope to be where Brazil is by deploying additional 350,000 PoS terminals. Remember that we are also making it biometric so that everyone, including those who cannot read and write, will be covered,” he added.

The deputy governor, however, noted that the CBN was only announcing a policy that would start next year, adding that “you have to guide and manage the industry such that the needed infrastructure will be put in place to ensure a smooth take-off.”

He said that the CBN, in collaboration with the banks, had set up a committee to ensure error-free, end-to-end e-Payment transactions.

Punch
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Kobojunkie: 10:15pm On May 06, 2011
^^^^ Na wa for the reasons we give for the stuff we do to ourselves.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Dauchman(m): 12:55pm On Jul 05, 2011
Dis Guy:

Chams, interswitch and many more already provide the service, if the infrastructure is not there these guys would have been out of business and many upcoming service companies wont even bother

people already sit at home to conduct internet transactions in Nigeria. . . .

I agree we have those guys on ground but truth be told they are not that effective. How many banks in Nigeria allow you do transfers from one bank to another and how many are hassle free. I sit down in my room or office make a transfer online here in canada and less than 5mins later the recipient can confirm the fund is in their account.

I was in Nigeria during Xmas last year and it was hell trying to use my card to pay for things. I know how many of my friends come to canada from Nigeria and have issues using Nigeria issued cards. The proper infrastructure is not in place. Right now not a vast majority of the populace uses e-payments, then imagine what would happen next year when everyone is forced to use them. The chaos would be untold. People would loose money to our thieving banks, etc. We need the proper infrastructure in place first. Good idea but as usual there would be poor implementation.
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by lastpage: 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2011
I think history will damn Sanusi (CBN Guvnor) eventually!

There is something dangerous about leaders who look on themselves as "ALL KNOWING"! angry

Apart from not having the requisite academic pedigree (Graduate of Islamic Studies!LKWMD), this guy refuses to listen to other people's advice!

Now, l will not be surprised if this CBN Guvnor drives this country aground (Just like the CBN Guvnor did when SAP was implemented in the middle 80's)

With all the number of Agric Banks, Agric Enterpreneurs and so on in the landscape, THIS CLUELESS CBN GOVNOR HAS NOW TAKEN "CENTRAL BANKING TO A NEW LEVEL"!
[size=14pt]HE WANTS CBN TO BE A POULTRY FARMER![/size] grin grin

Really, we need to check-out what "Sanusi is smoking" in his bedroom! angry angry
Even ganja does not makes one so 'locco' as this one has become.

If (and If)  GEJ does not have the constitutional Power to remove him, if the National Assembly are too compromised to remove him,
ITS TIME "PEOPLE's POWER", BY PUBLIC PROTESTS, FORCE HIM OUT OF OFFICE!

Its our life, its our money and it will be our pain, if we dont get this charlatan out of office quickly!

Lets go on FACEBOOK and other Social Networking Sites and Mobilize support.
It changed Govts in North Africa, the Middle East and its still on-going, Why not Nigeria?

Or are we TOO CHICKEN that Lamido Sanusi thinks we deserve a POULTRY! grin
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Pukkah: 12:07pm On Dec 08, 2011
pluto04:

There is nothing wrong with this policy. I think all the required infrastructure are already in place. The missing piece is forcing people to change their attitude to cash which I believe is what Sanusi is trying to achieve.

For those shouting electricity, check out the following:The cost of these devices is similar to what people spend on mobile phones. [/b]Also if you can use mobile phone, you can use this devices. I know one Nigerian card company that deployed services based around similar devices as far back as 2006.

Some people will be shouting impossible while others will be making a lot money by positioning themselves for the takeoff of the policy. I don't think the opinions expressed on nairaland matters in anyway. If CBN and the banks have agreed, it only needs the support of the FG and I don't see FG support being witheld.

Did you consider the fact that merchant transactions cost [b]1.25%
? These are transactions that will still be subjected to COT (Commission on Turnover) of N5 on every N1,000. shocked How profitable are these businesses? Since the merchant is expected to absorb this cost, won't prices go up?

Is this the kind of environment that a business (especially the small and medium-sized ones) need to survive in Nigeria? Don't forget that energy costs (generators + increase in PHCN rates + planned removal of fuel subsidy) are on the rise as well as finance costs.

I don't think that Nigeria has fully exhausted the benefits of cheques as a payment mechanism and this is what I think that rational businesses that want to expectedly avoid more costs will resort to. However, the government must also strongly implement the Dud Cheques Act and come down heavily on drawers whose cheques are returned unpaid.

If businesses don't do this, then expect only a fraction of them to embrace the POS terminals together with the challenges of power (though you tried to address it), IT infrastructure and data safety, and transaction costs while others may simply keep more of their cash away from the banks.

By the way, the implementation date in Lagos is only a few days away, how come there isn't so much excitement/talks about it?
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by Nobody: 4:25am On Apr 03, 2012
Hmm, and in the Middle of all these "Policies" why the heck can't ANYONE realize the NEED for EVERYONE to do AS THEY PLEASE with their Money??!! angry

Just running policies without placing everything in order. I'm yet to see every store run a POS. Or what do you have to say to the traders who have to purchase lots of goods and pay in cash?

Always Short-Sighted, this present Government.

BTW: Arent people already owning over 10 Bank Accounts & withdrawing from all of them to beat the policy? FAIL! @ The CBN Cashless Whatever. angry

Tomorrow, I'm opening two extra Accounts. cheesy
Re: CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! by sdymanagers(m): 8:26am On Aug 30, 2014
The Nigerian banking public is just like a yo-yo. People get tossed around as it pleases the CBN and the Banks. It is simply pitiable.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Jumia Dispatch Rider Punches & Manhandles Customer For Rejecting An Item / Over 0.5 Goals Punters Calling / How To Start Mini Importation Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.