Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,141 members, 7,821,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms (60140 Views)

CBN Introduces New Charges On ATM Cards, Cheques / Access Bank To Deactivate ATM Cards Trapped In Other Banks' ATMs / Transfers From GTB Savings Account To Other Banks Is Now Enabled (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by imhomoh(m): 3:02am On Aug 14, 2014
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday directed deposit money banks in the country to re-introduce a charge of N65 per transaction on remote-on-us Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) cash withdrawals.
The policy takes effect from September 1, 2014.

Remote-on-us are transactions done by a card holder on another bank’s ATM. The central bank stated this in a circular addressed to all banks, dated August 13, 2014.

A circular of the document titled: “Circular on the Introduction of Fees on Remote-on-Us ATM Withdrawal Transactions,” signed by the Director, Banking and Payment System Department, CBN, Mr. Dipo Fatokun, was posted on the regulator’s website yesterday.

The CBN in collaboration with the Bankers’ Committee had in December 2012 transferred the payment of N100 remote-on-us ATM cash withdrawal transactions to issuing banks. This fee used to be shared between the acquirers, issuers and switches.

However, on the commencement of the arrangement in December 2012, banks (issuers) decided to waive the issuer fee (N35), which should have ordinarily been an income to them. Consequently, banks only bore the cost of N65 each time their customers use another banks’ ATM.

However, the central bank explained that it took the latest decision as a result of the unintended consequences on banks. This, it said had resulted in substantial cost burden incurred by banks in defraying the cost for the service.

According to the CBN, the re-introduction of the fee was to cover the remuneration of the switches, ATM monitoring and fit-notes processing by acquiring banks.

“The new charge shall apply as from the fourth remote-on-us withdrawal (in a month) by a card holder, thereby making the first three remote-on-us transactions free for card holders, but to be paid for by the issuing bank.

“September 1, 2014 shall be the effective date for the implementation of the new fee,” it added. To this end, it urged banks to conduct adequate sensitisation of their customers on the policy.

“All ATM cash withdrawals on the ATM of issuing banks shall be at no cost to the cardholder,” it explained.

Meanwhile, in a separate circular on the review of the operation of the NIBSS Instant Payment (NIP) system and other electronic payment Options with similar features, the CBN expressed its preparedness to further strengthen the risk aversion measures put in place for the operations of the NIP system and other electronic payment options.

“The CBN has directed the categorisations of online transfer from low security to highly secured transfer with specified limits. Banks are expected to achieve “Highly Secured Online Funds Transfer” status within six months, that’s, with a deadline of December 2014.

“Limits of N1 million (instant value) and N10 million (next day value) shall be applied for NIP and other electronic payment options with similar features, initiated by individuals with effect from 18th August, 2015,” it stated.

Source : http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/cbn-reintroduces-charges-on-cash-withdrawals-on-other-banks-atms/186280/

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by tshegs19: 3:03am On Aug 14, 2014

2 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by RoyalRoy(m): 3:20am On Aug 14, 2014

Inconsistency always the problem in Naija. No continuation of any policy soon as power change hands.

Am also expecting the new IG of Police to come around and do his own crazy policy to mess up the good works of his predecessor. Maybe he will return the boys back to the road too who knows. sad

Another season of long and crazy queue to return to the ATM machines. As most people will be wary of using another bank's ATM.

GTBank customers, sorry in advance. grin.......with their 10Billion customers (effects of zero account balance).

cheesy

213 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by gunuvi(m): 3:32am On Aug 14, 2014
this is a coup. Nigeria taking a step forward and four steps backward since 1914

130 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by cardoso111(m): 3:50am On Aug 14, 2014
CBN should consider small currency denomination too!

14 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by ayukdaboss(m): 4:06am On Aug 14, 2014
Our banks may pay for our ATM services but they steal much more secretly or openly. Every month FirstBank charges me about 160naira for SMS charges and some other things I don't even understand yet I don't get any messages at all from them.

My folks who use more services at the bank complain about secret minor deductions regularly etc. yet this man wants us to start paying for our atm services. These banks are clearly getting more gain from us than this 65 naira we're about to start paying them. So if I wan withdraw 1k from another bank I go pay 65naira??

Oh Sanusi where art thou?? Come and save your people
lipsrsealed

248 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by seunlayi(m): 4:45am On Aug 14, 2014
this is another demonstration of Acute Insensitive Syndrome by CBN.

* why #65 monthly charge
* this is a backward step towards the cashless whatever
* why not introduce various denomination in Atm
* etc

37 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by Ekawu(m): 5:35am On Aug 14, 2014
Emefiele u are getting it wrong

#bringbacksanusi

191 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by slimpoppa(m): 5:41am On Aug 14, 2014
why again?

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by Nobody: 5:41am On Aug 14, 2014
And I follow jubilate when sanusi was removed

God please forgive me

262 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by ambrosini593(m): 5:42am On Aug 14, 2014
Click like if you disagree

329 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by brunofarad(m): 5:42am On Aug 14, 2014
So how will this encourage the hypped cashless policy thing?

Somone somewhere just shot himself on the leg.

I just dey look

6 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by bitterpenis(m): 5:43am On Aug 14, 2014
Real bad news...not bad after all, charge is taken on the fourth withdrawal on non issuing bank ATM

12 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by seunlayi(m): 5:44am On Aug 14, 2014
backward trend syndrome

2 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by sammieguze(m): 5:45am On Aug 14, 2014
Iranu

5 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by orumajunior(m): 5:46am On Aug 14, 2014
Ok, I don hear. If I go fit withdraw #50 nd #100 for ATM no wahala!

2 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by ednut1(m): 5:46am On Aug 14, 2014
i dont use ATM anymore. so none of my business

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by henryobinna(m): 5:46am On Aug 14, 2014
na wa oh...

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by Ezyp(m): 5:46am On Aug 14, 2014
Hmmmmmmm ds guy and atm policy

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by madridguy(m): 5:48am On Aug 14, 2014
This is very bad news...now we will know the real val of SLS.

57 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by lakecyd(m): 5:48am On Aug 14, 2014
this is one hell of an issue, this brings more problems for customers than solutions.

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by solid3(m): 5:48am On Aug 14, 2014
From a classified sourse The new CBN governor is a PDP member and he has been tasked on raising fund for GEJ campain. The original charge that goes to the banks is N50, while him and PDP will share N15.

(In the voice of David Mark)If you are in support of the motion that the remote-on-us ATM charges remains zero say "Aye" against say "Nay".

The "Ayes" have it.

*solid brown banana*

64 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by onatisi(m): 5:49am On Aug 14, 2014
seunlayi: this is another demonstration of Acute Insensitive Syndrome by CBN.

* why #65 monthly charge
* this is a backward step towards the cashless whatever
* why not introduce various denomination in Atm
* etc
I think uu got the message wrong ,it is 65 naira per atm withdrawal after 4 free withdrawals on another bank atm.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by Caseless: 5:50am On Aug 14, 2014
Some fools said sanusi was bad.

96 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by yousee(m): 5:51am On Aug 14, 2014
i hope this wont be "the straw that broke the camel's back"

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by lafuria1(m): 5:52am On Aug 14, 2014
This new policy will bring inconvinience. One who doesn't want the charges can't use the atm machine of other bank close to them.

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by korel9: 5:53am On Aug 14, 2014
I think I'll switch back to saving my money in my piggy banks (made from gongoni, clay or wood) where there will be no charges on withdrawals grin

21 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by nastyesco(m): 5:53am On Aug 14, 2014
Sanusi always meant well for the sector, it was definitely evident from the onset. The usual game of politics of religion has always overrun common sense in Nigeria. Emeifele has returned to make more money for Zenith bank.

106 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by Emrey: 5:54am On Aug 14, 2014
Tief people

1 Like

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by freebreezeyz(m): 5:54am On Aug 14, 2014
The unseen and hidden withdrawals by banks wld be on the increase now ! Don't be fooled as per '4th' use gimmick ! Majority of the banks wld charge u right from d second usage and trust me , a large percentage of customers who dont have d tym to go complain OVER JUST #65 wld make dese banks mega ! This aint a nice move at all !

41 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by jibbish(m): 5:54am On Aug 14, 2014
Dts what we r saying.... Operation bring back what was abolished.

When do we stop all ds thrash,meanwhile na midnight I go always go dey withdraw cos GT Bank n First Bank for Okene na WAR ZONE during d day

3 Likes

Re: CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms by Nobody: 5:54am On Aug 14, 2014
what was this emelife abi he's name..what was he thinking?

#65 charges?? choi!

we need to protest against this...this is pure bully nd oppression in broad day light....

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I Got Credit Alert From A Loan App I Did Not Apply For (Photos) / What Many Don't Know About Innoson Group / Mohammed Indimi's Wife Samira And Her 3 Daughters (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.