Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:47 AM

Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? (77853 Views)

What I Noticed In My Neighborhood / Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days / Husbands, Have You Noticed That Women Change After Wedding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by jaxxy(m): 11:10pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

You've raised a solid point.

But just as you've said, you and your dad spent quality time discussing various things. That's the kind of bond I want families to share, and I believe it can't be built from the sitting room. Being in the sitting room doesn't mean you must watch TV. Most of the time there can be spent having a discussion with the People whom you love.

Some fathers feel too big to talk with their kids. They prefer drinking beer with friends, thus affording the kids the leniency to while away in their rooms doing God Knows What

Parents are the main cause bt maybe also the continuously bad and toxic economy. Every country I know is improving and getting better than they were many years back bt only Nigeria and a prodigal few others are going worse as years go by.

Look at our history it has been on a Downward trend since 1960 but remain manageable until after obasanjo/Goodluck administrations. Dollars has kept increasing, no public amenities, poor infrastructure, no constant light and it’s only getting worse. Parents can’t keep up hussling extra hard and being there for the kids social or intellectual development.

Truth is parents needs to deliberately make out time to know their kids and engage them wisely. If u don’t they will drift and there a lot of distractions these days to keep them preoccupied than in our days.

It’s not just by commanding them to come and sit in the palour and watch meaningless stuff, u have to find the right stuffs for them or interesting family stuffs. When I was young my parents will always call us out to watch the news. It was mandatory lol, we also had family outings on weekends, outdoor pinicks Outside in the garden at night like we are camping. Many interesting and engaging stuffs really so that helps u spend quality time in interesting ways. These days like I said parents think it’s just about providing than engaging.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Franckelv230: 11:29pm On May 23, 2021
achi4u:
Baba see how u take remind me of the good old days, who dash us TV, our best bet na novels of all kinds both the one school recommend and the one they didn't.

Things have really fallen apart big time.

Tells you. Good old days, when you dare not skip your meal because you are angry or anything. My mom would beat hunger put for your body. Not to mention you locking yourself in a room. You Wan die for that room be that. They will cajole you to come out and beat hell that evil spirit out of you.

My mum will beat me irrespective of whether you the offender or the offended. Her own be Sey. Why you fight.

That woman na angel. Popsy died when I was still a toadler, she made sure I got the best by pulling me out of public school into private. It's a pity I couldn't fulfill her dream because of some factors. But I wish to make her understand that I care. (2pac- dear mama)

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 11:32pm On May 23, 2021
This thread is correct. The way we bond now in my house is during morning and night prayer. After that, it is to your tent oh Israel. My parents are usually the only onces bonding with themselves when they watch news. Everyone is busy with their things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 12:00am On May 24, 2021
DOnlooker:
Another contributing factor is that you can hardly watch TV for 15 minutes without encountering a sex or overtly romantic scene. Which moral you wan begin teach again in that kind of uncomfortable situation? There used to be some restraint on showing raunchy scenes during prime time which used to be family time too but these days, hmm producers have thrown caution and morals to the wind and no one us checking on those contents.
There are shows that are best suited for the family even till today.

You can watch cartoons with your kids and ask them to tell you what they learnt.They can read books too and tell you what they learnt all these things help in building the family.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 12:04am On May 24, 2021
Ovis1302:

You have a point.
The Globalists who are pushing the NWO down our throats are hell bent on destroying the Family Unit. And God our Creator so much value the family unit.
It is a subtle fight against the Creator and every standards/norms He gave to us via the Holy Bible and our conscience.

Lol conspiracy theorists weldone oo

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by smallsmall: 2:36am On May 24, 2021
Mustiboy:

Exactly.

I spoke with a mother some time last year, and what she said shocked me. She said she wouldn't mind her kids doing internet fraud as long as it brings them money. She said, after all, they are only helping Nigeria to collect back the wealth our colonial masters stole from us. Such disgusting mentality.

I wonder what parents teach their kids these days, no morals whatsoever. Have you noticed how kids just walk by you these days and don't greet? I personally don't mind that as the greetings don't feed me; however, it makes me reminisce the times when we greeted every elderly person we came by, not minding if we encountered as many as 20 before getting to our destinations. We never got tired of greeting. Up till now, I'll greet you as long as you're older.

All in all, I still feel the sitting room is the right place parents can leverage to instill manners into their kids. Let siblibgs bond together and spread love. I've seen brothers and sisters who hate each other's guts, and I believe it's their parents who failed to help them bond.

We are only reaping what we sowed since the mid 80's
Untrained, Baby Mamas and Baby Papas cannot train their own children and their children cant train the children they also have.
You cant give what you dont have, the problem has become generational.
Sad.

BTW, since l am just too used to greeting people l encounter, when as an older person, l even greet these stupid Youths and they cant even respond, it pisses me off greatly.
I know that 'Greeting' endears you to elders and you can gain a lot from it, compared to a Dundee United that is just looking at an elderly person with their mouth unclosed, as if he is a lost Goat (the Youth) grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by chocboi78(m): 2:50am On May 24, 2021
Y’all are tripping..
Life doesn’t need a manual.. every human activity is spontaneous is morally justified on individual basis..
Feeling gathering or not, who go Better go better
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by AOTEMN: 3:16am On May 24, 2021
[/quote][quote]
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Arsenate(m): 5:36am On May 24, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:

Petty men with malice like you deserve periods every month
Your takes don't even make sense, ma'am, nothing petty here. Think.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Jeezuzpick(m): 5:37am On May 24, 2021
budaatum:

I hardly ever do BBC World during the day as I get it on telly 24/7, plus Aljazeera and RT and CNBC and Bloomberg.

BBC Radio 4 is my go to during the day as it does a lot of culture that interests me. I'm that person walking down the road with it in my ears if I'm not listening to a book.

Nice!

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by BRATISLAVA: 6:14am On May 24, 2021
Apktotheworld:

You'd be surprised that some elders will begin to see it as their birthright if not offered greetings first. That's the point I am tryna make. Do not see it as a biggie if a 'smallie' doesn't greet you first. They should jettison the godamn entitlement o.t and embrace humanity by offering first. Selah bruv.
I will always be polite to those older than I. From your selah, I suppose you're a Christian. Did you know the Bible tells us to honor and respect those with a "hoary head"? I do not see it as a biggie if I'm not greeted, after all, I'm not responsible for impolite younger persons, but such younger person would cross its boundary in addressing me.

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by BRATISLAVA: 6:23am On May 24, 2021
Ishilove:

I'm always pleasantly surprised when kids greet because it has become a rarity.

All you have said is the sad and unfortunate reality in today's society

It is a rarity, something I do not expect to hear.

Most parents think it's cute and independent when they don't. They think it means that they are their own person and not slaves. Society is clamoring for individuality. Too much individuality is detrimental after a certain point.

This our brave New world.

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by sanyaolurilwan(m): 6:43am On May 24, 2021
Super Story..... I can still remember this

Kobicove:
Your observation is true, nowadays everyone just minds his own business.

When I was growing up I remember we used to converge in the living room to watch television especially those NTA soap operas and dramas of those days grin
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Ovis1302(m): 7:55am On May 24, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

Sister, you think so .No lele.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by angelfallz(m): 7:55am On May 24, 2021
Could you elaborate?
bukatyne:

This is also very noticeable at work.

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by ben2rhymes: 7:59am On May 24, 2021
Thanks for this, but mind you, when your family was enjoying that moment, some families still didn’t practice the good culture, now you felt it’s no longer done because your family has outgrown it - the kids have turned adults and parents become grands, now I will tell you that some families still practice it till dates so it’s left for you to imbibe the culture in your own family now, deny your kids these phones, while you often watch good movies with ur family- tell dem stories...... nothing change in life, it only be in new dimensions

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Ovis1302(m): 8:01am On May 24, 2021
Ladyhippolyta88:

Sist, na my observation o.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Ltherman(m): 9:05am On May 24, 2021
I'm not yet to have a family but this has just been cemented in my subconscious to put my family right.

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Perfectbeing(m): 9:37am On May 24, 2021
Most of our leaders grew up in the times when morals and virtue were the norms yet they ended up being looters and thieves. Imagine how the future would be when this present generations becomes leaders.. It would be a scary future. This era where even teenagers wants to make quick cash by all means, imagine these people as the governors, senators and presidents of the future.. May God help us all..
I'm in my early 20s and I've experienced the moral decay of the society in this my short time on earth. I can only imagine what the future holds..

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by 1boylikevhis(m): 12:00pm On May 24, 2021
A thread for 30+ year old men to reminisce about old times while heavily virtue signaling to feel better than the younger ones.

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Nobody: 1:06pm On May 24, 2021
OP, you even had PlayStation and a PC while growing up, all we had was our moonlight games, games like Ayo ( itu okwe in Igbo, dara in Hausa), Langa (one legged hop game). I wouldn't say we had any 'family bonding' time except when we (the children- half sibling, cousins) ate from the same plate. I practically grew up in my grandma's/dad's compound, my dad moved around a lot, my mum was an absentee one.

The point is, everyone's experience is different. I wouldn't blame the children of nowadays, as you put it. Have you observed the parents of nowadays too? I am a parent myself. Lots of folks have got no time for their kids! Many parents give excuses of working as reason for not being emotionally available for their kids. And what do these kids do? They find solace in their toys or whatever they do in their bedrooms. You have no idea what the kids of nowadays go through, many are depressed. I work with kids, so I know what I am saying. I know what it feels like to be emotionally neglected.

Many parents think it's all about the money or 'barking' down so-called moral values down children's throats but it doesn't work that way. When you have genuine VALUE for family, your kids would know. And they watch you to copy you. If you're living right, then yelling morals at them becomes unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 24, 2021
lagusboyyy:
You are on point OP.

Even family members eating on the same dinning table, especially at night is already going extinct.

Family bonds and values are depreciating so fast in our society.
Should we call it civilization?

I think YES.

Social media is already reducing real life emotions.

Missing good old days.

I wouldn't say civilization or social media caused it. Everyone's experience is just different. In my time, we didn't even have dinning tables at my grandma's house. We, only the children (adults ate separately), ate from same bowls and some of us hated it then because some ate more than the others. However, we had no choice. Do I serve my kids on the same plate today because it was done to me when I was little?

No. Why? Reason is simple. Life is dynamic. What worked then may not ALWAYS work now.

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by FRANKOSKI(m): 2:01pm On May 24, 2021
GOD WANT US TO BE LIKE THIS .
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by lagusboyyy(m): 2:24pm On May 24, 2021
MadamFay:

I wouldn't say civilization or social media caused it. Everyone's experience is just different. In my time, we didn't even have dinning tables at my grandma's house. We, only the children (adults ate separately), ate from same bowls and some of us hated it then because some ate more than the others. However, we had no choice. Do I serve my kids on the same plate today because it was done to me when I was little?

No. Why? Reason is simple. Life is dynamic. What worked then may not ALWAYS work now.
Hmmm.

I also love your perspective,but family time is gradually fading out in this modern times.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by achi4u(m): 10:07pm On May 24, 2021
Franckelv230:

Tells you. Good old days, when you dare not skip your meal because you are angry or anything. My mom would beat hunger put for your body. Not to mention you locking yourself in a room. You Wan die for that room be that. They will cajole you to come out and beat hell that evil spirit out of you.

My mum will beat me irrespective of whether you the offender or the offended. Her own be Sey. Why you fight.

That woman na angel. Popsy died when I was still a toadler, she made sure I got the best by pulling me out of public school into private. It's a pity I couldn't fulfill her dream because of some factors. But I wish to make her understand that I care. (2pac- dear mama)
May the soul of ur dad continue to rest in our Lord.
Things will get better and you/me will make our people proud, after our parents we met a hard Rock. grin

2 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by bukatyne(f): 10:44am On May 27, 2021
angelfallz:
Could you elaborate?

The younger employers are usually not emotionally intelligent and unwilling to learn.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by bukatyne(f): 10:49am On May 27, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

It seems to be everywhere. Most surprisingly in the service industry.

Take banks, for instance.

Those small boys and girls expect you to greet them first, when their job is supposed to be politeness and service! We normally have the silent stare-down until they remember their manners.

cheesy

They usually learn along the line sha

2 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Mustiboy(m): 9:08am On Oct 06, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman Married To Dead Man For 5 Years - The Sun (Photo) / What Do Some Men Gain From Sleeping With Other Men's Wives??? / Driver Having Sex With Friend's Wife Caught In Zambia (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.