Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? (77397 Views)

What I Noticed In My Neighborhood / Why Ladies Hardly Change Their Surnames After Marriage These Days / Husbands, Have You Noticed That Women Change After Wedding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by BRATISLAVA: 8:49pm On May 23, 2021
bukatyne:

This is also very noticeable at work.

It seems to be everywhere. Most surprisingly in the service industry.

Take banks, for instance.

Those small boys and girls expect you to greet them first, when their job is supposed to be politeness and service! We normally have the silent stare-down until they remember their manners.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:49pm On May 23, 2021
cry cry cry cry
okoroemeka:
my son and daughter in the university don't even bother to come out to watch dstv in the sitting room,they will press their phone until it runs down and they will plug power bank until it runs down,then you see them out from there rooms
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Kingrefreshed: 8:50pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:
I've noticed how family convergence in the sitting room is quickly going into extinction. Despite that I had a playstation and personal computer while growing up, it was deemed disrespectful to remain in the room at night while everyone was in the sitting room.

Mum would make us watch Yoruba movies with her and harness those moments to bark life lessons at us, citing the moral lessons in each movie we watched. Dad, on the other hand, would ask how school went, ask after our friends, and stuffs like that. You must go out to welcome him at the sound of his car horn.

Today, you see kids whiling away on social media with the door to their room locked, not minding the presence of their father in the house. Not even the reality shows playing in the sitting rooms interest them anymore. How then will they bond with the rest of the family?

Kids nowadays can stay in their room all day and would only come out to eat, then they go back inside.

Being together in the sitting room is a great opportunity for family bonding. Some parents even allow locked doors in their house. You can't be my child and have your door locked. That's a privacy you won't be privileged to have under my roof. You must come to the sitting room to bond with your siblings and we your parents.

What do you think guys? Is social media the sole reason for kids locking themselves up in their room these days?

Social media has done more harm than good.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Apktotheworld: 8:52pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

. Up till now, I'll greet you if you are older.
All in all bruv, you made quite valid points. I however feel that greeting should not be offered firsthand from the young to the old. Anyone can offer first egbon.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:52pm On May 23, 2021
It's off topic smiley smiley
franklingud:
My bro, many families have lost that sense of bonding. Only the word of God can bring it back.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Bakare3260: 8:53pm On May 23, 2021
[/quote][left][/left][i][/i]
Mustiboy:
I've noticed how family convergence in the sitting room is quickly going into extinction. Despite that I had a playstation and personal computer while growing up, it was deemed disrespectful to remain in the room at night while everyone was in the sitting room.

Mum would make us watch Yoruba movies with her and harness those moments to bark life lessons at us, citing the moral lessons in each movie we watched. Dad, on the other hand, would ask how school went, ask after our friends, and stuffs like that. You must go out to welcome him at the sound of his car horn.

Today, you see kids whiling away on social media with the door to their room locked, not minding the presence of their father in the house. Not even the reality shows playing in the sitting rooms interest them anymore. How then will they bond with the rest of the family?

Kids nowadays can stay in their room all day and would only come out to eat, then they go back inside.

Being together in the sitting room is a great opportunity for family bonding. Some parents even allow locked doors in their house. You can't be my child and have your door locked. That's a privacy you won't be privileged to have under my roof. You must come to the sitting room to bond with your siblings and we your parents.

What do you think guys? Is social media the sole reason for kids locking themselves up in their room these days?
[b][quote author=Mustiboy post=101974613]I've noticed how family convergence in the sitting room is quickly going into extinction. Despite that I had a playstation and personal computer while growing up, it was deemed disrespectful to remain in the room at night while everyone was in the sitting room.

[/b]
Mustiboy:

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Bakare3260: 8:53pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by MrChilaka(m): 8:54pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

its simple, Parents these days miss being 'present' in there toddlers life. Couples are busy with career pursuit cause no one wants to address the all important issue of how they can balance career pursuit and making a home. If a parent misses it (bonding via home work time, family prayer time etc) at the toddler stage and chose to mortgage parenting to the 'nanny'. As they get nannied through primary school, at post primary they get wisked off to boarding home, that nails it. You dont start at their late teens play catch up or lay down rules to enforce family time in the seating room etc.

If kids have a hero in you their parents, they would not look to social media or DC comics for a hero.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:55pm On May 23, 2021
You are off the mark
DrFunmisticGlow:
why should kids greet the elders that bleeped up this country?

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by BRATISLAVA: 8:56pm On May 23, 2021
Apktotheworld:

All in all bruv, you made quite valid points. I however feel that greeting should not be offered firsthand from the young to the old. Anyone can offer first egbon.

World over people greet the elderly first, warmly and politely. Not the other way around. It's a respect that will be reciprocated one day in old age.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by chlowi(f): 8:58pm On May 23, 2021
I remember vividly my childhood days when we sat in the living room to see tales by moonlight , wili wili , and super story , my parents take advantage of those times to instill morals in us , after each episode , each one of us would speak openly about the lessons we picked.

I recall Christmas when dad (God rest his soul) would buy crates of malt, mineral as we called it , live goat (imkpi) and have it slaughtered at home by him and any other grown up make present at the time , have us share to neighbours and friends and we all ate from a large tray on the 25th, it was like a ritual , the taste of that rice and stew was always different from the norm and satisfying , none of us ever missed Christmas even as university students; the bond , jist and laughter was something neither of us could miss for the world .

You dare not skip the parlour times , whether you like it or not and every score was settled before bed time .

Op, your thread just made me forget the current state of naija as I'm beaming with smile reminiscing on those days ... When family was family smiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:59pm On May 23, 2021
Okay thats the problem, we are getting used to it.

ThePlugg:
Hhmmm, in my own father's house, whenever I go there.... Everyone just do your thing... Mind your own business.... Long as you don't cross anybody's path.... We all happy fam.... No need to be extra nice... I don't even like it myself.... I looovee my privacy more wink
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by neyohh: 8:59pm On May 23, 2021
Todays adults never really grew up before they had children.

Daddy is watching soapy video's secretly on the phone grin, mummy is chatting some random freak up, children are being indoctrinated by leftist media on tik tok etc.

As messed up as our ancestors were, they left us traditional values, we have nothing to leave for the coming generation. tongue

Na joke's oh.

8 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Bakare3260: 9:00pm On May 23, 2021
Thats really true,cuz even me sef no dey like sidon wit my parents 4 sitting walai,especially wit my papa,bcuz na dat tym e go remember 1 or 2 offence wey u do since 4 days back!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 23, 2021
All this boomer yarns self una no dey tire, op you never even do research self you don dey yarn already, it's just the failed parenting system of Africans breaking down as it was meant to, Africans believe in authoritative Stalin style parenting so wat the Bleep do you expect? A miracle? On social media they can be whatever the Bleep they wanna be, they can live fake lives, move with the flow of "society" and live in fake happiness. Till you all are ready to be your child's friend and teach them the tenets of individualism then stop complaining and allow us to see road.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:04pm On May 23, 2021
It's not too late, you can always correct it, start slowly

Federickson02:
I'm afraid you've just described how I live my life OP embarassed always in my room and only comes out when it's time to eat or do some minor things embarassed my mom always tells me to engage with em and the rest of the fams in whatever they're doing but ain't never felt the need to. Perhaps it isn't too late to change aye
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by bisoye11(m): 9:04pm On May 23, 2021
This is one of the disadvantages of technology.technology is replacing our mind and thinking,well,the primary basic of this innovation is to make life easier,I believe it's achieving its aim.

What I miss in family of today,is the unity in prayer,I could remember our prayer bell rings every 5:300 am every morning,everyone has to be in the sitting room,this is lacking in Christian home today.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Ayobami7(m): 9:04pm On May 23, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Bosch10(m): 9:04pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

Exactly.

I spoke with a mother some time last year, and what she said shocked me. She said she wouldn't mind her kids doing internet fraud as long as it brings them money. She said, after all, they are only helping Nigeria to collect back the wealth our colonial masters stole from us. Such disgusting mentality.

I wonder what parents teach their kids these days, no morals whatsoever. Have you noticed how kids just walk by you these days and don't greet? I personally don't mind that as the greetings don't feed me; however, it makes me reminisce the times when we greeted every elderly person we came by, not minding if we encountered as many as 20 before getting to our destinations. We never got tired of greeting. Up till now, I'll greet you as long as you're older.

All in all, I still feel the sitting room is the right place parents can leverage to instill manners into their kids. Let siblibgs bond together and spread love. I've seen brothers and sisters who hate each other's guts, and I believe it's their parents who failed to help them bond.
especially the girls,they won't open that their dirty mouth to greet.i don't mind I they greet or they don't,but it's not just right.

P.s-God bless you for this post.when I start having kids,their phones shouldn't be their boss

2 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by EteBabaagba222(m): 9:10pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

Just this evening I told my daughter 6yrs No phone No TV that w go do physical exercise, guess what 3 mins she said she is tired. Not only in sitting room those days. As we are chatting now, der is full moon outside. My father wl pick us outside and start different stories.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:11pm On May 23, 2021
wonders shall never end cheesy cheesy cheesy[quote author=Ishilove post=101994911]
The kids these days are nothing to write home about. There are some that will meet you on a pathway and expect you to give way for them.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by IvyGRush: 9:11pm On May 23, 2021
lagusboyyy:
You are on point OP.

Even family members eating on the same dinning table, especially at night is already going extinct.

Family bonds and values are depreciating so fast in our society.
Should we call it civilization?

I think YES.

Social media is already reducing real life emotions.

Missing good old days.

That's the Words I've been Looking for!
Good Old Days.

You also get to hear African Parenting
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by BSdetector: 9:12pm On May 23, 2021
These days, family bonding is on our family WhatsApp group, sometimes zoom.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Heyzee5: 9:14pm On May 23, 2021
The truth is there is a lot of Arrogance in today's society.....from Kids to Adults.... everyone just feels they are on top of the world! Where we got it from is what I can't fathom.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Emeka71(m): 9:14pm On May 23, 2021
chatinent:
It's not always about the sitting room where parents struggle to remember morals.

There should be an organized family meeting regularly.

Parents are failing woefully in their responsibilities..most parents even make their children feel if they don't hustle and become rich like neighbour James’ son, they'll be nothing to write home about.

And I must tell you ; many children don't even stay with thier parents again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:15pm On May 23, 2021
i dont think Mark Zuckerberg children even use facebook

Josywhyte:
Na wetin Mark Zuckerberg and other social media owners don cause na.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by chatinent: 9:18pm On May 23, 2021
Emeka71:
And I must tell you ; many children don't even stay with thier parents again.
I was one.
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by freeman5050: 9:22pm On May 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

My guy, you are absolutely right.

1 Like

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by SeriouslySense(m): 9:22pm On May 23, 2021
you are right, once in a while, you read very intelligent articles with intelligent comments
gosmoney:
This is one of the best article I've ever read in nairaland forum
Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by meobizy(f): 9:23pm On May 23, 2021
There is no right or wrong way to raise children. Ask your married friends how to and most will tell you “na as we see am, we dey push am.” For such a situation, having only one TV in the house located in the sitting room is the solution. However most families won’t have this; the father would want the place reserved for only visitors. He’ll also want to have his personal TV in his bedroom. He’ll then realize that everyone possessing their own TVs keep them indoors and lessens chances of trouble in the form of physical fights and tinkering with expensive visitor-entertaining appliances. The children with time grow dependent on staying indoors and distant from the parents. The parents then end up wondering where they went wrong with raising the children.

Somebody mentioned family meetings as an effective measure. I don’t know about that since I never had those while growing up. I remember the confusion me and siblings felt when an in-law called an intervention based on a family matter. We looked at him and laughed at the stupidity. My old man rounded us for a family meeting once. We looked at him, shook our heads, laughed and walked out of it. This is something he never did all of our last child’s thirty years of experience, for the older ones of us a lot longer. He cannot decide to start it out of the blue.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by Ishilove: 9:24pm On May 23, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Common politeness has been lost through parents feeling their children owe no one anything. That is true, but the end results are disastrous in the community project called Nigeria.

Modern children today are altogether way too disrespectful, and it is their parents that encourage and enforce the disrespect. How many parents teach their children to greet or how to be polite nowadays? They feel they want them to have a better life, and to them that means they lose societal norms and become aberrant, sometimes downright rude.

This lack of greeting/respect is noticeable in a particular socioeconomic background.
I'm always pleasantly surprised when kids greet because it has become a rarity.

All you have said is the sad and unfortunate reality in today's society

3 Likes

Re: Have You Noticed This About Families These Days? by odaniel1(m): 9:24pm On May 23, 2021
It's not really about the location for me say the sitting room in this instance, it is the level of connection or the effort put in by parties involved to bond and socialize often. That could happen on a road trip to church, at a wedding reception in-between-meals, or any other place else.

Few days ago I sat in the living room with my parents and three siblings. The TV was on and I kind of noticed after about 30 mins' silence since the last person spoke that we all tapped away at our phones. Seeing everyone's face illuminated by their phone screens got me amused at some point. The world has sure changed!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See These And Decide If You Still Want To Have Plenty Kids / Nairalanders Whose Pre-Wedding Pictures Went Viral Welcome A Baby Girl / Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.