Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,047 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years (20461 Views)

Highest Goalscorers In The Champions League After The Group Stage / Football Fans Go Crazy After N'golo Kante's Nutmeg In UEFA Super Cup (Photos) / AC Milan Is Targeting Antonio Conte To Be The Next Club Manager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years by naptu2: 4:49pm On May 24, 2021
naptu2:
That AC Milan team of 1989-1997 was simply amazing (particularly between 1989-1995).

They were in the European Cup/Champions League final 5 times between 1989-1995. They beat Steua Bucharest in 1989, beat Benfica in 1990, lost to Marseille in 1993, beat Barcelona in 1994 and lost to Ajax in 1995.

The most amazing final was the 1994 final. They beat an equally star studded Barcelona side 4-0! That Barcelona side had Romario, Stoichkov, Koeman, Zubizaretta, Nadal, Michael Laudrup, etc, yet they were whipped by Milan.

In fact, the whole of Serie A was amazing between 1989-1995. We had the 3 Dutch men (Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard) and the Italian National team defence line (Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta and Tassotti) at Milan, the 3 Germans (Matheus, Klinsmann and Brehme) and the Italian National Team goalkeeper (Walter Zenga) at Inter, MA-GI-CA (Maradona, Giodano and Careca) along with Alemao and Zola at Napoli and the Italian National Team's attack line (Schilacci, Baggio, Casiraghi and Di Canio) along with Thomas Hasler and Julio Cesar at Juventus. It was incredible!

Remember that this was before the Bossman ruling and teams could only play 3 foreign players in a match.
Re: AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years by PrimeWatermark: 6:56pm On May 24, 2021
naptu2:

The 1989-1994 AC Milan squad was like a fantasy team. Remember that there were restrictions on the number of overseas players that could be signed, yet it was such a star studded team.

Ariggo Sachi's Milan was the best, followed by Ancelloti's.

Words can't describe how emotional I am seeing us back in UCL. Painful years of endurance.
My old friends are always surprised whenever they hear I still support Milan.
Beautiful memories!!

2008 was the beginning of the end of the glorious reign. Red and Blacks for life!!

FORZA MILAN!!

1 Like

Re: AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years by PrimeWatermark: 6:59pm On May 24, 2021
peressteve:
abeg I need una contact all milanista abeg let’s create a platform

Create the platform and post the link. We'll join

Thank you.
Re: AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years by naptu2: 12:53am On May 25, 2021
naptu2:
This is weird. I can list all the European Cup/Champions League winners from 1984-2008, but I can't remember the winners from 2009 onward.

1984 = Bruce Grobbelaar and Liverpool.

1985 = (disaster at Heysel) Juventus.

1986 = Steua

1987 = Rabbah Madjer and Porto

1988 = PSV

1989 = The great Milan team

1990 = The great Milan team

1991 = Red Star Belgrade

1992 = Barcelona and Koeman

1993 = Abedi Pele and Marseille

1994 = The epic final in which the great Milan team beat the great Barcelona team 4-0.

And this is when the sequence began.

1995 = The Nigerian final in which Ajax beat the defending champions Milan.

1996 = Juventus beat the defending champions, Ajax

1997 = Ibrahim Tanko and Borussia Dortmund beat the defending champions, Juventus

1998 = Real Madrid is back.

1999 = Manchester United beat a fantastic Bayern side.

2000 = Real Madrid beat Valencia

2001 = Bayern Munich at last

2002 = Real Madrid beat Michael Ballack's Leverkusen.

2003 = AC Milan is back.

2004 = Jose Mourinho and Porto

2005 = the Liverpool miracle

2006 = Barcelona beat Arsenal after a terrible red card.

2007 = the end of AC Milan

2008 = Wasn't this Chelsea vs Manchester?

Who won in 2009??
Re: AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years by naptu2: 4:20am On May 25, 2021
naptu2:
This is the answer to one half of yesterday's quiz.

The question was, why were Franco Baresi and Danny Blind's names omitted from the graphic? Well, I know why Franco's name was omitted, but I don't know why they left out Danny Blind.

Remember that there was something slightly controversial about that incredible final. AC Milan's legendary captain, Franco Baresi, had gotten a red card in the semi-final against Monaco. That meant that he did not play in the final. Fabio Capello had appealed that the rules should be changed and he said that it was unfair to prevent someone like Baresi from playing in the final, but as you can see, Baresi was on the touchline for this game.

His partner, Allesandro Costacurta, got a yellow card in the game against Monaco and he was also suspended for the final.

The loss of their famous defensive pair did not stop the great Milan side from demolishing that fantastic Barcelona side.

Check out the stars on parade! Fabio Capello vs Johan Cruyff, Andoni Zubizaretta, Sebastiano Rossi, Romario, Stoichkov, Massaro, Koeman, Guardiola, Savicevic, Desailly and so many others.

Back then I often wondered how it was in the AC Milan dressing room. Dejan Savicevic and Zvonimir Boban both played for Milan and this was bang slap in the middle of the break up of Yugoslavia. Savicevic was the star of the Serb team and Boban was the star of the Croatian team. Remember the war that broke out when Red Star Belgrade played against Dinamo Zagreb?

Anyway, CHECKOUT SAVICEVIC'S GOAL!

AC Milan 4-0 Barcelona (1994 UEFA Champions League final).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmJ5sOKkXh4

naptu2:
Aha! Here it is!

Quiz

Why are Franco Baresi and Danny Blind's names missing for 1994 and 1995?

Re: AC Milan Is Back In UEFA Champions League After 8 Years by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 25, 2021
dominique:
Congrats Milan, all the best.

I know one day one day, Arsenal will return to champions league football

undecided HeLLo Mrs Dominique, I created thiS topic https://www.nairaland.com/6563535/cryptonites-dont-buy-dip-till in the Investment section of this forum, but the AntiSpam bot keeps banning me, what Spamming offence have I committed fOr poSting the findings I made & trying to have a clean and genuine discuss with members of this forum on the said topic?!...And you don't respond to your emails too

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okoye Pays Tribute To Rohr: 'You Turned My Young Football Career Around’ / Which African Teams Will Likely Be A Problem For The Super Eagles In AFCON 2021? / Which Country Do You Want Nigeria To Face In The World Cup Qualifiers Play-off?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.