Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism (1157 Views)

Six Important Reasons You Should Be Humble / Six Important Reasons You Should Seek For The Mercy Of God. / Former Cultists, Prostitutes And Militants Undergo Water Baptism In Rivers. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by HQofGilhac: 10:14pm On May 29, 2021
Here are Six Important reasons for water baptism

1) You need to receive Jesus Christ into your life (hope), receiving the Holy Ghost (Righteousness) and seek above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2) It prepares your life for the calling of God.

3) By faith it saves and gives eternal life from Jesus Christ.

4) You have a good conscience towards God, through Jesus Christ.

5) You receive sonship and the Holy Spirit of God.

6) You are washed with the water unto repentance, you become a born again, a new man in Christ and a child of the Almighty God.
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by HQofGilhac: 10:18pm On May 29, 2021
Bible verses: I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Matthew 3:11 (KJV)

Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

Matthew 3:13-14 (KJV)
And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

Matthew 3:16 (KJV)
I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.

And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

Mark 1:8-10 (KJV)

Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Luke 3:7-8 (KJV)

Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,

Luke 3:21 (KJV)

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

John 3:5 (KJV)

And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Acts 8:36-38 (KJV)

And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

Acts 18:8 (KJV)

And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Acts 19:3-5 (KJV)

1 Peter 3:21, NLT: "And that water is a picture of baptism, which now saves you, not by removing dirt from your body, but as a response to God from a clean conscience. It is effective because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by madegreatbygrace(m): 11:06pm On May 29, 2021
Did you really mean that someone without water baptism has not received sonship or the Holy Spirit? Seriously?
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by chatinent: 12:50am On May 30, 2021
How can you come and list some items with no biblical backup?

You preachers never cease to amaze me.
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by Kobojunkie: 1:18am On May 30, 2021
madegreatbygrace:
Did you really mean that someone without water baptism has not received sonship or the Holy Spirit? Seriously?
You cannot become a Son of God, nor can you receive the Spirit of God, if you are not first born of Water. undecided

In Ezekiel 36 vs 24, God explains His reason for the sprinkling of water over you. This is meant to take place in order that you may be purified and washed clean of your idols, etc.undecided

2 Likes

Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by Karlovych: 4:16am On May 30, 2021
Yahweh is good, all the time

1 Like

Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by HQofGilhac: 8:36am On May 30, 2021
Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by HQofGilhac: 8:39am On May 30, 2021
chatinent:
How can you come and list some items with no biblical backup?

You preachers never cease to amaze me.

Bible verses: I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.

And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 3:21, NLT: "And that water is a picture of baptism, which now saves you, not by removing dirt from your body, but as a response to God from a clean conscience. It is effective because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by madegreatbygrace(m): 9:10am On May 30, 2021
quote]quote author=HQofGilhac post=102180781]

6) It cleanses your sins, lust, old ways etc. You become born again, a new man in Christ and a Child of the Almighty God.

If water baptism cleanses you from sins, lust and the old ways then the blood of Jesus is unnecessary.
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by madegreatbygrace(m): 10:01am On May 30, 2021
quote author=HQofGilhac post=102188439]

Dear one, none of the quoted scriptures endorses or backs your points when interpreted in context. The meaning of a word is defined by context. You really need to understand the word baptism and In the Bible, the word “baptism “ has different applications. It could mean “immersion”.

So then, immersion in what?

It could be immersion in water as in the following texts.

“Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?” Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.” So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭8:36-38‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

We know definitely this is referring to water baptism because water is stated in verses 36 and 38.

This is contextual interpretation of scriptures. The same thing in the house of Cornelius in Acts 10.

The subject matter can also be immersed in Christ as in the following.

“He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

The baptized as used here doesn’t really mean water baptism but baptism into the body of Christ. When a man hears the gospel and he believes, then he is immediately baptized ( immersed in Christ), or becomes born again. This man is saved.

Same as the scripture you quoted above.

“And that water is a picture of baptism, which now saves you, not by removing dirt from your body, but as a response to God from a clean conscience. It is effective because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭3:21‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Read the above text slowly and carefully and let it sink in. The Apostle says it is not the water that saves you but the baptism. The water is just a picture/shadow/typology of the real thing.

Believing the gospel enables a man to be baptized (immersed) into Christ. Such is now a member of the family of God. He says water only removes dirt from your body.

Yet another meaning or application of baptism or baptism is found in 1 Corinthians 10: 2

“all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,”
‭‭I Corinthians‬ ‭10:2‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Certainly Moses is not the same as water. The last time i checked, Moses is the name of a person.

So how could the Israelites be baptized into Moses?

Baptized is used figuratively here.

It means they were under the authority or leadership of Moses.

You can clearly see the the meaning or the application of a word is determined by context.

Hope this helps.

The Lord bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by HQofGilhac: 4:33am On Jul 25, 2021
Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by Kobojunkie: 4:40pm On May 17, 2023
madegreatbygrace:
How can you receive what you call sonship when Jesus Christ made it abundantly clear that except a man is born again — born of water(water baptism) AND born of Spirit(of Eternal Life) — He cannot enter into the Kingdom of God? We are talking here about what you must do even before you gain admission into the Kingdom of God here. Another way to consider this is to ask yourself how can one who has not even gained citizenship in the Kingdom of God pretend to know God let alone be a Son of God? undecided
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by Kobojunkie: 4:42pm On May 17, 2023
madegreatbygrace:
■ If water baptism cleanses you from sins, lust and the old ways then the blood of Jesus is unnecessary.
In and of itself, Water baptism does not cleanse sins. Rather, Water baptism, as explained by John the Baptist in Matthew 3 vs 7 - 11 & Luke 3 vs 2 - 18 & Mark 1 vs 1 - 8 involves a transitioning from (an abandoning even) following the Old Law of Moses in order to begin anew following God's New Law and Covenant in the Kingdom of God, God's New fountain of Living Water. John referred to it as the Baptism of repentance. undecided
Re: Six Important Reasons For Water Baptism by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On May 19, 2023
madegreatbygrace:
■ Dear one, none of the quoted scriptures endorses or backs your points when interpreted in context. The meaning of a word is defined by context. You really need to understand the word baptism and In the Bible, the word “baptism “ has different applications. It could mean “immersion”. So then, immersion in what? It could be immersion in water as in the following texts. ‭‭Acts‬ ‭8:36-38‬ ‭NKJV‬‬ ...We know definitely this is referring to water baptism because water is stated in verses 36 and 38. This is contextual interpretation of scriptures. The same thing in the house of Cornelius in Acts 10.
■ The subject matter can also be immersed in Christ as in the following. “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” ‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬ The baptized as used here doesn’t really mean water baptism but baptism into the body of Christ. When a man hears the gospel and he believes, then he is immediately baptized ( immersed in Christ), or becomes born again. This man is saved.
1. Immersion? Read Ezekiel 36 vs 25 undecided

2. Your private interpretation of that written in Mark 16 vs 15 direct contradicts Jesus Christ's own teaching in John 3 vs 1 - 21 where He instead insists that everyone must be born-again — Born of water AND born of Spirit — in order to enter into the Kingdom of God. So, if by merely believing, as you claim, one is saved, then of what real value is this supposed salvation outside of the Kingdom of God when that which Jesus Christ came to offer only operates, as He said, within the jurisdiction that is the Kingdom of God? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Will The Earth Be Destroyed? / Eat Your Tithes! / Who Heard About The Asaba Pastors?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.