Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad (1694 Views)

Effect Of Banger (graphic Pictures) / Beware Of This Kind Of Scam... / Buzugee/Nairaland, So I Want To Talk About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by efeosazee: 2:16pm On May 01, 2011
As a Nigerian i am very proud of my country and want to tell the whole world that we are the best, but the rate at which *Scammer* invade the internet is telling on the lives of those of us who live abroad.

Sometime ago, i was discussing with my lecturer about our development and why foreign companies should see Nigeria as a business heaven, he replied "Nigeria and Nigerians have potentials but lack trust" i was very disturbed by the statement as it was a forum filled with people from different nationality. About a week later we did a course on E-business with the same lecturer and i was really in shame when the outline of the course included "How to Detect and Avoid Nigeria Online Scam", As a respected individual in the class i complained that, that part of the course is actually disturbing to me as it portray a bad image of me as a representative of my country there. I went to him after the course introduction to ask why that was included, he said "it is something we have come to term with, denying that it doesn't exist will only cause more harm than good, it like a virus, if you are protective about it you will not affected"

Only few days ago, the worse about this whole mess came to bear, i have over the months stood my grounds that Nigeria is the best place to be and we are warm and accommodating people, that we only receive bad press from outside world to suppress our potentials and ability. When we were discussing about that, my lecturer stood his ground and said he has received over 150 emails from scammer and more than 75% was from Nigeria, he went further to make a demonstration of one scammer that he has been talking to and revealed all their exchanged email, those email could have not meant a thing because it would have been easy to say that it was orchestrated by him to prove his point.When he notice that i was still trying to make it look like racism and discrimination he said "I just need to state here that this is not against anybody or nationality it is a problem in the global community that we need to be aware of, as IT engineers you should be able to detect all phishing, virus and even scam regardless of where it is from" A French student now said, so how are we sure this is not done by you to convince us, he then showed to me a number +2348131168550 to confirm if it was a Nigeria number so i did and he immediately called the number. this was the conversation

Lecturer: Hi
Scammer: Hello Beneficiary, how are you doing
Lecturer: You ask me to call
Scammer: Yes, this is Mr. Brent director of promotion Nokia Nigeria
Lecturer: Ok!!
Scammer: We just wanted to inform you that your number was lucky among our poll selected from online, so you have won the sum of Two Million British Pounds
Lecturer: So how do i authenticate your identity
Scammer: I said i am Mr. Brent from Nokia Nigeria
Lecture: So whats the name of your director
Scammer: Mr Brown
Lecturer: So why would Nokia Nigeria conduct a poll for an outlet and 2Million Pounds and will be offered and not Naira, Why would somebody from Finland win, when Nokia has its headquarter here and the poll was conducted for customers in Nigeria. Thank you for making my lecture interested.

*hang up*

This very foolish individual didn't even know anything about Nokia and did not know he was talking with the ex-departmental director of Nokia Finland. how stupid that idoit made my defense look

This is what we get and this is the image we are painted by some people who want to stop at nothing to see that Nigeria is bad. Can you imagine the lecturer giving an assignment for everyone to write about this and tell their own story. So how do I a Nigerian write about Nigeria Scam and present to the foreign community.

What is really the problem? How do we stop this?
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by obowunmi(m): 2:29pm On May 01, 2011
You can't stop it. Na poverty make crayfish bend.

Until we find a way to get jobs for all young people in Nigeria --- then people will find creative ways to get money and that includes scams.
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by horny4u(f): 2:29pm On May 01, 2011
I totally feel u!
A little before now china was known for inferior products while made in england was for superior products let's just say a lot of that has changed now.
Nigeria is a great company and in future that greatness will be seen by all.
By the way tell your lecturer we are a developing country will more good eggs than bad and that there are scammers everywhere the situation in Nigeria is temporary and bad yet better than youths stabbing each other finally but not least tell him he is an ass and ignore his anti nigerianess hence forth, goodluck with ur studies and sin proof professor.
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by efeosazee: 3:02pm On May 01, 2011
horny4u:

I totally feel u!
A little before now china was known for inferior products while made in england was for superior products let's just say a lot of that has changed now.
Nigeria is a great company and in future that greatness will be seen by all.
By the way tell your lecturer we are a developing country will more good eggs than bad and that there are scammers everywhere the situation in Nigeria is temporary and bad yet better than youths stabbing each other finally but not least tell him he is an backside and ignore his anti nigerianess hence forth, goodluck with your studies and sin proof professor.

He is not anti Nigeria and he has great respect for the country, my pain is that my country was being used as a BAD REFERENCE. And change will only come when we start now, its a personal issue not an economic thing, because there are poor people who are decent and rich people who are corrupt and greedy
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 01, 2011
I feel u, truth is it isn't just about poverty, it shows our moral decadence as a society. We are raised to believe that you must not be poor bu any means and we are already used to cutting coners so some just take it a step further. Until parents stop collecting cars from their sons whom they cannot identify their source of income this trend will not end. Even if you provide jobs, a lot of these guys are so used to that illegal gains that I can assure you they won't pick a real job with reasonable pay and hard work over maga don pay where they can buy a Bentley in a day!
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by efeosazee: 4:18pm On May 01, 2011
tatiana009:

I feel u, truth is it isn't just about poverty, it shows our moral decadence as a society. We are raised to believe that you must not be poor bu any means and we are already used to cutting coners so some just take it a step further. Until parents stop collecting cars from their sons whom they cannot identify their source of income this trend will not end. Even if you provide jobs, a lot of these guys are so used to that illegal gains that I can assure you they won't pick a real job with reasonable pay and hard work over maga don pay where they can buy a Bentley in a day!

Those days parent want to know what they children do for a living even if it is carpentry so as to be proud to say it, but these days, how much money they have is what matter, our society is gradually paving way for open death of our culture and moral value. I wonder where it will lead us
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by tpia5: 7:04pm On May 01, 2011
Its a way of life now.

The internet has only made it worse as well as global.
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by nweike(m): 6:24am On May 02, 2011
Osaze, I appreciate your plight but I will ask you to just put up with it cause the rot in Nigeria is not about to be stopped, as a Nigerian I know that this 19thing issues started in the era of General Babangida in responce to the developing unemployment at that time but it has been taking over by a large majority of the Nigerian youths, it has become their main stay. Unfortunately, where some come home with booty they are celebrated by the society and their families and their is no punitive measures to dissuade people. Anytime you notice security operatives hunt these scam practitioners, often times than not its with the intention to have a share from ill gotten wealth. Now this in my opinion is the sole reason why scamms of whatever kind cannot stop soon.
However let your lecturer know that the population of hard working honnest Nigerians in more than these scammers
The very best to you
Re: Effect Of Scam On Nigerian Living Abroad by iice(f): 7:09am On May 02, 2011
Love/worship of money. Greed. Selfishness (there is no I in We). Misplaced priorities. Indiscipline.

(1) (Reply)

Wat Will U Do If U Find Urself In Dis Guy's Situation?(picture) / 10 Categories Of Okada Riders / How Do I Recover Lost Package From Nipost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.