Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos (12197 Views)

Lagos Special Status: Ahmad Lawan, Femi Gbajabiamila, Sanwo-Olu Meet / Lagos State And SW Nigeria Deserves Special Status. / Kukah, Other Bishops Restate Calls On FG To End Killings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Babanah: 12:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
omonnakoda:
First they have to consent. They do not have to
The government has the right to acquire any private land in the interest of wider public.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Jimasun: 12:25pm On Jun 02, 2021
iampeterben:

Governor make dey think. Well done Sanwo-Eko, abeg remove that indigene ship first, Lagos na for everybody.
Lagos has owners. Don't be unfortunate
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Sipsum: 12:28pm On Jun 02, 2021
gistray:
It's high time the thing is reviewed

Igbos whose businesses contributes to 70% of all funds generated deserves special Tax rates or no tax rates at all.

No Igbos needs to take their business to SE.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by omonnakoda: 12:29pm On Jun 02, 2021
Babanah:

The government has the right to acquire any private land in the interest of wider public.
First it is a power not a right. It is not an unlimited power. This special status is being asked for as part of a constitution writing process.

Such a process to be honest cannot have any assumptions including assumptions deriving from the constitution that is being quarreled with like the Land Use Act.

Acquiring land for common good is a good phrase when you are not the victim.

Why does that same principle not apply to RUGA and settling Fulani herdsmen

Acquiring one plot of land for common good is different from ethnic cleansing entire ancestral villages ,towns or cities

What about the minority Group in Badagry are they expendable too? Just like Bakassi
What happens to them.
Why don't we evacuate the Ogoni so the oil can flow?

We are very good at citing "rules" when they suit us and when they don't we cry self-determination
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Sipsum: 12:35pm On Jun 02, 2021
valarmorghulis:

The north/south east voted against it during Jonathan's administration

Na so dem dey do, they will cornive with malo to sabotage Yoruba progress and come to back wail betrayal.
God will grant them their oriburuku Biabia, they must leave Yorubaland, we are not related.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Babanah: 12:52pm On Jun 02, 2021
omonnakoda:
First it is a power not a right. It is not an unlimited power. This special status is being asked for as part of a constitution writing process.

Such a process to be honest cannot have any assumptions including assumptions deriving from the constitution that is being quarreled with like the Land Use Act.

Acquiring land for common good is a good phrase when you are not the victim.

Why does that same principle not apply to RUGA and settling Fulani herdsmen

Acquiring one plot of land for common good is different from ethnic cleansing entire ancestral villages ,towns or cities

What about the minority Group in Badagry are they expendable too? Just like Bakassi
What happens to them.
Why don't we evacuate the Ogoni so the oil can flow?

We are very good at citing "rules" when they suit us and when they don't we cry self-determination
My friend, we seem to be saying different things.
I am suggesting converting the present Eko Atlantic into a special economic territory like Hong Kong. If we want to expand we reclaim more land from the ocean.
It wouldn’t be fair to convert the whole of Lagos state into a special economic zone. Not only to the indigenes of Lagos but also the other states.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by bash55bash: 1:01pm On Jun 02, 2021
Hg
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by omonnakoda: 1:02pm On Jun 02, 2021
Babanah:

My friend, we seem to be saying different things.
I am suggesting converting the present Eko Atlantic into a special economic territory like Hong Kong. If we want to expand we reclaim more land from the ocean.
It wouldn’t be fair to convert the whole of Lagos state into a special economic zone. Not only to the indigenes of Lagos but also the other states.
First this whole thing comes from a constitutional review

Even reclaiming land from the ocean makes assumptions about WHO has the rights to do that..
What are the rights e.g of the Oba of Lagos and other institutions in the area

Lagos became a colony by Treaty with the British in the 1860s

The point is Lagos should not be taken for granted whether by Nigeria or any so called Yoruba nation.
It has indigenes with their own culture and religion with a lot of reverence for water deities.
Many Nigerians especially christians and Muslims always bully others and don't even see that.
Claiming land from the sea is not something that should be decided by Ekiti, Osun or Ibadan people

The problem is some elitist folk have a vision for Lagos and I ask them who the hell are you to decide what should happen in Lagos.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by ShadowCracker(m): 1:22pm On Jun 02, 2021
omonnakoda:

Even reclaiming land from the ocean makes assumptions about WHO has the rights to do that..

The point is Lagos should not be taken for granted whether by Nigeria or any so called Yoruba nation.
It has indigenes with their own culture and religion with a lot of reverence for water deities.
Many Nigerians especially christians and Muslims always bully others and don't even see that.
Claiming land from the sea is not something that should be decided by Ekiti, Osun or Ibadan people
"Oba of Lagos ko le pa a she "for we in Epe we have our 2 Oba's who will decide, I am sure the same is for Badagrians.

Oba's of Epe, and Badagry are with Yoruba nation, Akinolu a Benin man cannot decide for them.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by valarmorghulis: 1:28pm On Jun 02, 2021
Sipsum:

Na so dem dey do, they will cornive with malo to sabotage Yoruba progress and come to back wail betrayal.
God will grant them their oriburuku Biabia, they must leave Yorubaland, we are not related.
grin
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Babanah: 1:56pm On Jun 02, 2021
omonnakoda:

The problem is some elitist folk have a vision for Lagos and I ask them who the hell are you to decide what should happen in Lagos.

Most prosperous and successful countries have were built by foreigners. The US, United Kingdom, Singapore and some Middle East countries.

The British finally chose Lagos as the capital of Nigeria because of what they saw in Lagosians.
Educated ,enlightened, urbane and accommodating group of people.
Comprising of the Bini, Awori, Brazilian West Indian Serria Leone returnees. Lagos has over the years accommodated people from far and near and I think that was why the British moved the capital to Lagos. (And by the way Nigeria had not made any progress since the capital was moved to Abuja but that’s by the way).
But I’m shocked by the present crop of ‘Lagosians’ who appear to be uneducated, omo onile, with all sense of entitlement and no sense of history.

I say to them could Lagos be where it is today without the contributions of non lagosians?

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by omonnakoda: 2:04pm On Jun 02, 2021
Babanah:

Most prosperous and successful countries have were built by foreigners. The US, United Kingdom, Singapore and some Middle East countries.

The British finally chose Lagos as the capital of Nigeria because of what they saw in Lagosians.
Educated ,enlightened, urbane and accommodating group of people.
Comprising of the Bini, Awori, Brazilian West Indian Serria Leone returnees. Lagos has over the years accommodated people from far and near and I think that was why the British moved the capital to Lagos. (And by the way Nigeria had not made any progress since the capital was moved to Abuja but that’s by the way).
But I’m shocked by the present crop of ‘Lagosians’ who appear to be uneducated, omo onile, with all sense of entitlement and no sense of history.

I say to them could Lagos be where it is today without the contributions of non lagosians?

Interesting stuff but off point and incoherent

I do not think Femi Otedola is an Omo onile with a sense of entitlement

The whole humanity is related one way or another some even believe we all have one ancestor so what?
So what if most successful countries are built by foreigners? A claim that is very debatable anyway
Does that mean all countries must be?
How is that relevant
When these foreigners were building America as you claim did they arrive with passports or Visas
Now they are talking of building walls to "KEEP OUT ALIENS" >>>>> Yes that is the word "ALIEN"
We are discussing a constitution. Do not lose sight of that What is important is who should have a say in the constitution. That must be negotiated not imposed by outsiders
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Babanah: 2:25pm On Jun 02, 2021
omonnakoda:

Interesting stuff but off point and incoherent

I do not think Femi Otedola is an Omo onile with a sense of entitlement

The whole humanity is related one way or another some even believe we all have one ancestor so what?
So what if most successful countries are built by foreigners? A claim that is very debatable anyway
Does that mean all countries must be?
How is that relevant
When these foreigners were building America as you claim did they arrive with passports or Visas
Now they are talking of building walls to "KEEP OUT ALIENS" >>>>> Yes that is the word "ALIEN"
We are discussing a constitution. Do not lose sight of that What is important is who should have a say in the constitution. That must be negotiated not imposed by outsiders

I think I have made my point as every other Nigerian is entitled to.
I cannot impose my views on anyone as I’m not in the army and do not intend to plot a coup.
The thinking of individuals have a lot to do with the collective psyche of a society.

I grew up at a time when the sky was the limit for Nigeria. I have been around the world and cannot think of any country that is packed full with intelligent and energetic people.

All I want is for Nigeria to take it’s rightful place in the comity of nations so that the Black race could finally be respected.
By the way I’m half lagosian island.

I rest my case.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by omonnakoda: 2:34pm On Jun 02, 2021
Babanah:

I think I have made my point as every other Nigerian is entitled to.
I cannot impose my views on anyone as I’m not in the army and do not intend to plot a coup.
The thinking of individuals have a lot to do with the collective psyche of a society.

I grew up at a time when the sky was the limit for Nigeria. I have been around the world and cannot think of any country that is packed full with intelligent and energetic people.

All I want is for Nigeria to take it’s rightful place in the comity of nations so that the Black race could finally be respected.
By the way I’m half lagosian island.

I rest my case.

Everything you say is interesting but is a bit like opening the Quran to read to a church audience.
Timing and congruence are just as important as content

If Singapore can stand on its own why can't Lagos? Why must it be part of Nigeria

A constitutional debate is the right place for that conversation
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by ShadowCracker(m): 2:39pm On Jun 02, 2021
ShadowCracker:

"Oba of Lagos ko le pa a she "for we in Epe we have our 2 Oba's who will decide, I am sure the same is for Badagrians.

Oba's of Epe, and Badagry are with Yoruba nation, Akinolu a Benin man cannot decide for them.
omonnakoda why are you avoiding this post.

christistruth00 christistruth01 can Oba of Lagos decide for Oba of Eko Epes, Ijebu Epes, and badagrians.

Epe and Badagrians have decided to be part of Yoruba nation can Oba akinolu stop them.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Christistruth00: 2:59pm On Jun 02, 2021
ShadowCracker:

omonnakoda why are you avoiding this post.

christistruth00 christistruth01 can Oba of Lagos decide for Oba of Eko Epes, Ijebu Epes, and badagrians.

Epe and Badagrians have decided to be part of Yoruba nation can Oba akinolu stop them.

Oba of Lagos cannot even Control the Onikoyi of Ikoyi which is on the Same Lagos Island as Oba of Lagos
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by ShadowCracker(m): 3:10pm On Jun 02, 2021
Christistruth00:

Oba of Lagos cannot even Control the Onikoyi of Ikoyi which is on the Same Lagos Island as Oba of Lagos
cheesygrin Thank you.

I am omo Epe Alaro ogunmodede, Oba of Lagos can't even decide for Eko Epe's not to talk of we Ijebu Epe's.

Badagrians also would say the same.

Yet omonnakoda keeps mentioning oba of Lagos as if his relevance does not end in Lagos island.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 4:58pm On Jun 02, 2021
What was he consulting? To protect Hausa-fulani interest? They ask every zone to do their review but he left his zone to concern himself with SE.

Besides, we don't need a reviewed constitution, we need the 1963 constitution with little tinkering to reflect states instead of regions
RichDad1:

One of the consultants was killed in Imo state by those that could have gained most from it. undecided undecided
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 5:03pm On Jun 02, 2021
It's like tax ..based on a percentage...say 20%.

If you generate less then you suffer because there will be no money from Abuja anymore.

And just like you a lot of Nigerians oppose resource control because they don't understand that it will benefit them more.
Sammy07:
cool

No,.I don't like it that.
Stupid FG can make a law that the higher you generate the more you pay.
You grab? State like Sokoto will be paying less.

Except if FG make it compulsory for all states to pay the same.amount of money (Say 1billion in a month) it will make all the states to buckle up and work harder.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 5:05pm On Jun 02, 2021
Imagine being given 13% of your own resources. You get sense at all?
WorldRichest:

South-South states that are getting 13% oil money, what have they done with it? So called special status for Lagos will only enlarge Tinubu's coast just like 13% oil allawee is in Ibori's account
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 5:08pm On Jun 02, 2021
Are you saying America New York has a special status?
nograv:
For those who are old enough, Lagos was already meant to have a 'special status', as part of the agreement when the abokis insisted on moving the capital to Abuja.

So this isnt anything new, it is Nigeria's New York so it should have a special status and way more funding. The Lagos light rail should receive additional federal funding for example
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 5:10pm On Jun 02, 2021
Where did you get this statistics from? Beer � parlour?
NinjaMetahuman:
dangote business alone is bigger than all Igbo investments in south west twice

Go figure.

And dangote investment is not up to 5%percent of lagos GDP.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 5:18pm On Jun 02, 2021
Which wider public? Yoruba public or Hausa-fulani?
Babanah:

Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 5:32pm On Jun 02, 2021
Did you support the Ikorodu man Agbaje or you supported the foreigner from Osun State Tinubu? Lagos has been ruled by foreigners enabled by indigenes.

Lagos was on the own before signing a treaty with the British. What was in that treaty? You guys opposed Biafra even when Biafra going will enable you reclaim back your Lagos.

Lagos is being conquered by Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos but the original indigenes of Lagos are helpless, deceiving themselves that the Yorubas are not on same agenda as Igbos and Hausa to make Lagos a no man's land

omonnakoda:

Everything you say is interesting but is a bit like opening the Quran to read to a church audience.
Timing and congruence are just as important as content

If Singapore can stand on its own why can't Lagos? Why must it be part of Nigeria

A constitutional debate is the right place for that conversation
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Christistruth00: 5:37pm On Jun 02, 2021
DMerciful:
Did you support the Ikorodu man Agbaje or you supported the foreigner from Osun State Tinubu? Lagos has been ruled by foreigners enabled by indigenes.

Lagos was on the own before signing a treaty with the British. What was in that treaty? You guys opposed Biafra even when Biafra going will enable you reclaim back your Lagos.

Lagos is being conquered by Yorubas, Hausas and Igbos but the original indigenes of Lagos are helpless, deceiving themselves that the Yorubas are not on same agenda as Igbos and Hausa to make Lagos a no man's land

Lagos is 100 % Yorubaland make no mistake about that.

London is full of Immigrants but it is still part of England
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 5:41pm On Jun 02, 2021
Yorubas are people from Oyo originally. Lagos have their own indigenes prehistoric times and they don't see themselves as Yorubas because they're not. Why do you think the western region was at each other's throats before the British came?
Christistruth00:

Lagos is 100 % Yorubaland make no mistake about that.

London is full of Immigrants but it is still part of England
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by Christistruth00: 6:09pm On Jun 02, 2021
DMerciful:
Yorubas are people from Oyo originally. Lagos have their own indigenes prehistoric times and they don't see themselves as Yorubas because they're not. Why do you think the western region was at each other's throats before the British came?

Yorubas were once called Ife People

All Yorubas see the Ooni of Ife as the foremost Yoruba King

Don’t let me School you on Lagos or Awori History

The Oba of Lagos is an Ijesha Man by lineage

The Ijesha link to Lagos dates back to about 1200 AD when Oduduwa sent his Grandson who became the first king of the Ijesha People to Lagos to fetch Sea Water as Part of a Cure for his failing eyesight

That is why the king of Ilesha is titled “ Owa Obokun” which means “he who fetches Water from the Sea”.

The Awori are 100% Yorubas and from Ife Originally

Lagos is Aworiland

Lagos is 100% Yorubaland

On the day the British Colonial Government first landed in Lagos in 1851 Oyo controlled Badagry Area Which they had taken from the king of Dahomey along with Porto Novo (Ajase) in War . The Oyos had fought Dahomey as Allies of the Eguns
Aare Oona Kakanfo oyabi had led the Oyo Army

The Abeokuta Egba Army Controlled all of Lagos Mainland Which they had won in the Ota War of 1842 in Which the Oyos of Ibadan fought as Allies of Oba Kosoko and the Awori and received such a heavy defeat at the hands of the Egbas that the Ibadan Army had to be smuggled back home.

The whole Episode almost led to the downfall of Basorun Oluyole back at Ibadan

The Ijebu Controlled Everything East of Lekki

All Oba Kosoko Controlled was the Slave market and Port of Isale Eko on Lagos Island, Even Ikoyi belonged to the Onikoyi who was an Oyo man

Again if you hear that Yorubas spent 100 years fighting themselves till 1878,

Just know that the Egba, Ijebu and Oyo Which included Ibadan were fighting for Control of the Coast of Lagos

Control of the Coast of Lagos meant Titanic Wealth. but unfortunately much of that was from the Slave trade

The Lagos territory Controlled by the Egbas , Oyo and Oba Kosoko belonged to the Awori People who were the most Peaceful and accommodating of all Yoruba Clans

Eko is Yoruba short for Ereko which means field and for Confirmation Ereko Market where the Egbas and Ijebu traded is still on Lagos Island today

Also Eko Ende in Osun State was one of the Locations of the Jalumi War of 1878

The Awori have inhabited Lagos since the 13th Century when they migrated from Ile Ife led by Olofin Ogunfuminire who was a great grandson of Oduduwa and a nephew of Oranmiyan who headed to Benin around the same period

The Land on Which Isale Eko of the Oba of Lagos is located belongs to the Awori Yoruba Aromire family till today

Aromire was one of the Sons of Olofin Ogunfuminire

The Otun Ekiti People migrated from Lagos in the 15 th Century and share the same ancestry with the Awori of Lagos

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by DMerciful(m): 6:31pm On Jun 02, 2021
But the Portuguese came to Lagos in the 17th century. Who were the people they met? Because you narration only showed Yorubas conquering Lagos recently and were not indigenous to Lagos. So a stronger conqueror can always claim Lagos then
Christistruth00:

Yorubas were once called Ife People

All Yorubas see the Ooni of Ife as the foremost Yoruba King

Don’t let me School you on Lagos or Awori History

The Oba of Lagos is an Ijesha Man by lineage

The Ijesha link to Lagos dates back to about 1200 AD when Oduduwa sent his Grandson who became the first king of the Ijesha People to Lagos to fetch Sea Water as Part of a Cure for his failing eyesight

That is why the king of Ilesha is titled “ Owa Obokun” which means “he who fetches Water from the Sea”.

The Awori are 100% Yorubas and from Ife Originally

Lagos is Aworiland

Lagos is 100% Yorubaland

On the day the British Colonial Government first landed in Lagos in 1851 Oyo controlled Badagry Area Which they had taken from the king of Dahomey along with Porto Novo (Ajase) in War . The Oyos had fought Dahomey as Allies of the Eguns
Aare Oona Kakanfo oyabi had led the Oyo Army

The Abeokuta Egba Army Controlled all of Lagos Mainland Which they had won in the Ota War of 1842 in Which the Oyos of Ibadan fought as Allies of Oba Kosoko and the Awori and received such a heavy defeat at the hands of the Egbas that the Ibadan Army had to be smuggled back home.

The whole Episode almost led to the downfall of Basorun Oluyole back at Ibadan

The Ijebu Controlled Everything East of Lekki

All Oba Kosoko Controlled was the Slave market and Port of Isale Eko on Lagos Island, Even Ikoyi belonged to the Onikoyi who was an Oyo man

Again if you hear that Yorubas spent 100 years fighting themselves till 1878,

Just know that the Egba, Ijebu and Oyo Which included Ibadan were fighting for Control of the Coast of Lagos

Control of the Coast of Lagos meant Titanic Wealth. but unfortunately much of that was from the Slave trade

The Lagos territory Controlled by the Egbas , Oyo and Oba Kosoko belonged to the Awori People who were the most Peaceful and accommodating of all Yoruba Clans

Eko is Yoruba short for Ereko which means field and for Confirmation Ereko Market where the Egbas and Ijebu traded is still on Lagos Island today

Also Eko Ende in Osun State was one of the Locations of the Jalumi War of 1878

The Awori have inhabited Lagos since the 13th Century when they migrated from Ile Ife led by Olofin Ogunfuminire who was a great grandson of Oduduwa and a nephew of Oranmiyan who headed to Benin around the same period

The Land on Which Isale Eko of the Oba of Lagos is located belongs to the Awori Yoruba Aromire family till today

Aromire was one of the Sons of Olofin Ogunfuminire

The Otun Ekiti People migrated from Lagos in the 15 th Century and share the same ancestry with the Awori of Lagos
Re: Sanwo-Olu Restate Calls For Special Status For Lagos by leokid866: 6:42pm On Jun 02, 2021
fredylee:
Worthy request.

I however plead with the Governor to fix the street lights on major roads within the State capital which have gone off since Ambode left office. Allen Avenue, Toyin street, and other prominent roads are examples. Pertinent especially for security reasons.

These roads also need resurfacing.

there's a plan to bring back the light up Lagos project, when ambode was there the plan never took into account the cost from IKEDC, neither were the power stations that controlled the lights given meters to regulate the cost......by the time ambode left Lagos owed a lot of money to IKEDC, which stopped supplying light to the power stations once he left.....Sanwo olu with the Lagos state electricity board has put a plan toget her to correct that and will be fully unveiled soon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate: Ward Denies Suspending Agom-Eze / How Adams Oshiomhole Ventured Into Politics / Aregbesola At 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Celebration In Osun (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.