Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job (21103 Views)

Federal Character Commission Was Like A Market For Selling Job Slots – Chair / Just Lost My Job / Lost My Job Today, After Few Months Of Employment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by tofolo(m): 2:43pm On Jun 02, 2021
CharisEleos:

That is where we find ourselves today as a country.

Another thing I just finished discussing with my sister now is the rate of inflation and the fact that the govt is folding their arms doing nothing about it.

Where are we headed?
My sister, what one need is a source of another income and financial institutions are not helping, the inflation is steadily growing and by the time fuel price is hiked na die be that.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by nurez305(m): 2:44pm On Jun 02, 2021
wonderr:
I pray it should be a blessing in disguise to you in Jesus name
But Please what is the full meaning of 'op' that u people usually use here in nairaland
original poster
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 02, 2021
tofolo:
My sister, what one need is a source of another income and financial institutions are not helping, the inflation is steadily growing and by the time fuel price is hiked na die be that.

Housing is not left out.

All the old houses in my area are being demolished and the newly erected structures are so expensive and have been taken over by small small Yahoo boys. while the old occupants are being displaced and made homeless because of the high cost of the new houses.

It's just so unbearable. But with God, we shall survive it

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by gonkin(m): 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2021
Yeah it happens. During covid 19 some of my friends that worked for other firms were laid off. I really imagined how it felt like and didn't want be in their shoes. Forward to September we got a memo that site is closing down and to be decommissioned. Some were transferred by December I got my letter. I was laid off. I was compensated but the tax chop over 70k. Instead of 500 I go 400 almost below. I worked there for just 2 years. I was jobless for years after nysc just gathering experience started a business that barely lasted a year. Any business without proper funding is BONDAGE.

So i was laid off on the 22nd of December last year. Told my girl the situation. She tried to encourage me that there was hope. I split the cash. Settled outstanding debts, put rent aside in a vault. I calculated the finances would last me till March /April. By January my vehicle was having hardstarting issues. Purchased a battery on the 4th. 5 days later the battery exploded under the hood while my car was parked in the garage. Didn't even drive that day. Just a lil thhhhhsssss and pufffffff. I didn't even notice it was my car burning till my neighbour raised an alarm. See fire from bonnet. Rushed to get my extinguisher the thing failed then I resorted to sand. I managed to put out the fire before it got to the fuel line.
I was thinking about the bite I had from replacing the battery and now the car is added salt to my injury.

I slept that night and the incident haunted me in my dreams. The next day I began analysing the damage.
Fan, fan shroud, air filter, MAF sensor, coolant over flow tank, paint job and some wires. I do a lot of maintenance on the vehicle myself so I knew what goes where. I managed to fix the MAF sensor soldering. (efficient electrical skills too). I got my inverter battery and as soon as I connected the battery it was a big spark. Traced the short circuit to the alternator and isolated the alternator. Tried again and the car came to life. I was relieved there was no engine damage. So i went to parts market. Spend about 25k for the damaged item. The next day I installed it and began driving. People were surprised that this was a vehicle up in flames 2 days ago. That was an unexpected expenses. And i saw I was behind budget so I visited my parents in lagos and managed to brush off some weeks of expenses. Barely 2 weeks later after telling my girl I can't help her financially like i used to SHE DUMPED ME. Saying she's not sure about me and doesn't want it to hurt me. Well it hurt alot. Cuz when all felt like hopeless I got hope thinking of her. Telling myself at least i have a girl. Well she left.
Since then I've been hustling for change. Helping people fix stuff. Endured. Applied for another job but is overdue to begin being that it's a new site and have someone on the inside. Other jobs I applied for diddn't even respond. LinkedIn is like a show-off platform. Even with my buffed up cv and multiple qualifications and training in the fields of electrical, mechanical, asset management , R&D, hse and fire fighting. I still wasn't noticed
I made a mistake to avoid temptation spending my rent I paid off 120k to balance 80k. The last 2 weeks has been hell for me. Just patience I have left.
In this buhari economy nobody has money to pay for services not even to mention help.
Its been over a month I last had meat, I've been eating shitty meals and relating my life to THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS and THE MARTIAN....... I'm at survival stage, cuz i just ate my late piece of yam and all I have left is a sachet of spaghetti and all 3 of my bank accounts combined is N87. Can't steal cuz i hate it. Trying jobs all over. If I had N5000 it will go a long way. I believe by next month I would be called for a job. I've survived on chores since late march but haven't received any tasks since 3rd week of april
So if u have something to spare here's my account details.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by EgunMogaji2: 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2021
motymop:

A good idea but This country is too poor for that.

How much will they pay for unemployed Nigerians to be satisfied?

You’ve got it figured out wrong.

1) Unemployment Insurance is funded by both employees and employers.

2) It’s not meant to replace lost salary in totality but to cushion the immediate effect of unemployment.

3) The maximum is $450 per week so an unemployed executive will make less than $2,000 per month before tax.

To answer your other questions, we need to gravitate away from this premise that Nigerians are poor. We are not. A salaried worker can easily afford the necessary taxes.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by tofolo(m): 2:55pm On Jun 02, 2021
CharisEleos:

Housing is not left out.

All the old houses in my area are being demolished and the newly erected structures are so expensive and have been taken over by small small Yahoo boys. while the old occupants are being displaced and made homeless because of the high cost of the new houses.

It's just so unbearable. But with God, we shall survive it
Sister, God would not put us to shame.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 02, 2021
tofolo:
Sister, God would not put us to shame.

Amen!

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by abbey621(m): 2:59pm On Jun 02, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

2) It’s not meant to replace lost salary in totality but to cushion the immediate effect of unemployment.

3) The maximum is $450 per week so an unemployed executive will make less than $2,000 per month before tax.

To answer your other questions, we need to gravitate away from this premise that Nigerians are poor. E are not. A salaried worker can easily afford the necessary taxes.

Unfortunately it will never work in Nigeria, companies would rather reduce their work staff or hire contractors where unemployment insurance does not apply. In Nigeria, companies get away with a lot because what's the alternative? The amount of applicants far outweighs the amount of available jobs and it will only get worse. Government has no welfare package so even if the private companies are willing, government will still fall short on their end.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by lucky4west: 3:02pm On Jun 02, 2021
its really sad...i have lost jobs twice and its not funny but surprisingly i always come back stronger and better....maybe God see my heart that it was never my fault....as a top manager i always ensure top notch performance all around but from no just course the hammer can just drop...but u have to carry on....and other means of making ends meet like taxify (which i turned my car into) bet9ja etc came to the rescue...no time to check time....the last time it happened i took my car out the next day for (bolt) registration and started driving.....me na cure for depression devil de craze? i no de dull myself...but i thank God for everything i went tru got me to where am today.

2 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by abbey621(m): 3:11pm On Jun 02, 2021
If you have a job in Nigeria, live as if you don't! For nothing is guaranteed and anything could destabilize you and your dreams. So make it an habit to save 20% of your salary each month, make no excuses, for it is better to live modestly now and have savings than to live comfortably and suffer for it later. Nigeria is not like Europe or the USA where nobody stays down forever, Nigeria is a calamity empowering demon. Once you're down, it only takes the grace of God for you to get back up.

Having a job is a good thing but do you know what's better? Having your own source of income that nobody can take away from you. This is the power of business owners and innovators. The future of Nigeria is not one of relaxing, by all indicators such as inflation, unemployment etc, things will get very bad before it gets better so ladies and gentlemen, BE VIGILANT, STAY HUNGRY NEVER EVER BE COMFORTABLE!

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by NarnieAceTech: 3:53pm On Jun 02, 2021
CharisEleos:

Lol... Oh this guy stop making me to laugh abeg. this not a laughing matter. Biko.

It is well..

Chuckles# But I am being serious. Ok, may be I went a little too far with the mousey-squeaky voicey thingy.
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Psoul(m): 3:54pm On Jun 02, 2021
Robertkenny:
Mrs. Juliet

I was with my husband on March 31st, it was 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon and I took a phone call from the owner of my company, the president and COO. He informed me that my position was being eliminated.

Significant changes had to be made to the small, family-owned business I worked for due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Coming from leadership, I understand. I worked for Skymack communications, a publishing company here in Lagos, for over 13 years. I was senior vice president of operations, client service and account management. The majority of the clients I worked with were in the airline space, so Covid-19 had huge impact on the area of the business I managed.

Even though being let go is not a personal issue for me, when you get that call from your boss, it’s quite a shock to the system.
I love the people that I worked with. And I have never been unemployed.

This was a first for me, and I had to tell my kids.
The first person I told was my husband. We went for a walk because I just wanted to takeout bad thought and feel free. It’s so overwhelming that you don’t want to think about the “What if”.

I cried when I told my husband, but it wasn’t sadness that I felt. I didn’t feel a connection to my job title such that it was a loss of my sense of self. It was more, “Well, what am I going to do now?” Or maybe it was because you have to say those words: “I’ve been laid off.” I never said those words before.

But I didn’t actually tell my two girls, who are 12 and 16, for almost a full 48hours. I just sat with it first. I was thinking, “How am I going to tell them that I have been laid off”?.

My girls have seen me get up and go to work their whole lives. I don’t believe they tied me as a person to my job, but they do understand that my job provides money for the family to live.

I was really trying to figure out, how do I tell them without scaring them? And how will I keep a level of composure?.

The third day I told them. Schools in Lagos were closed, so my daughters were homeschooling. I called them into the living room, sat down and told them that I had been let go from my position at work. I was crying while telling them.

They both sort of looked at me and they said, “Well, what does that mean for us?”

How you handle yourself is everything when it comes to how they’re going to respond, so I immediately composed myself.
“Well, we’re probably going to have to make some changes initially, but as a parent let I and your dad focus on that. I don’t want you to worry about that” I said.

My eldest daughter got angry and frustrated at my employer. “Aren’t you important? Don’t they think you’re valuable?” she asked with a sad face.

“I am valuable” I said. But my value has nothing to do with my job. I’m valuable for a lot of other reasons.”

“I will find a job that makes me happier, a place to work that values me, a place where I want to be” I said. The girls asked questions about money too. I have a loan to pay and other bills. “Yeah, we’re going to have to make some changes, for me to be able to pay back” I said.

“I’m going to have to really work to get another job or figure out what my next move is” I said.

For now we’re good. My girls and I are stable and we’re happy. We have made some changes towards managing most things around us. For instance with food shopping, we are not particularly frivolous, but now we are much more careful.

Also there is no “I need does cloths just because they’re beautiful or I want to do online shopping for me and my girls”. They know they need to be conscientious about what they ask for. And they have been fantastic without reminder.

And I have not stopped my job search, but I am not obsessing. Right now everything is fine, but that won’t last forever. So I am trying to determine what my new normal is going to be.

Thank you Bogger for sharing my story

Have you ever lost any job that makes you think twice? Please share your story.

I lost my job 4 months to my proposed traditional/white wedding date.
It was somehow frustrating.
But I have a God that has never leave me at that kind of situation.
After that job lost, I and my wife (a very understandable and wise woman) decided that we are going to do the occasion on a very low key.
My friends heard it and they said no. They said that I must do my wedding the way I wanted it earlier. They said I had attended and made many ppl proud in their occasions and that mine will not be in low key.

Before u know it, they started calling other friends everywhere. Within a short period, my bank account was just beeping constantly.
On that day, they brought 8 buses to convey ppl and wth their private cars too. It was a very wonderful occasion with the fleet of cars following us.
I had so much money from friends that I never bothered about money gotten on that occasion day. I just told my wife to take the money and add to her business.

3 months before my first baby arrived, someone just recommended me to a very good company. I went for the interview and got the job.

4 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Amtrak: 5:10pm On Jun 02, 2021
Aeyah... Sorry dear.

It can be a really traumatic experience; I know cos I've been there before.

Lemme just summarize my story through this kind of journey.

At about 12:33pm on Friday, February 8, 2013, 1 was sitting frustrated in the Teachers' Staff Room of the secondary school I was teaching in. I had just been unjustly scolded by the school principal for flogging a student that had really misbehaved bad. Was looking at the ceiling and thinking about my life when my phone rang - a call to resume at my new job on Monday! It was unbelievable; so I just went to the principal's office and told him I was leaving the job. I caught the next available bus to Lagos.

Training school was so funpacked! We were 54 trainees in my class; 18 guys, and 36 ladies, so each guy 'had two ladies to himself'... lol! I was attending classes from my uncle's house in VI, leaving early in the mornings and returning around 7pm in the evenings, for 65 days, until my first posting to a branch after Training School.

So, one day in May, as I returned from work and knocked on my uncle's door, my aunt (his wife) came rushing and opened the door. She had just woken up from her sleep and said she was rushing because she thought she had heard me crying from a trance that 'the job did not work out'. I didn't really understand, until I got to work the next day and realised that I had made a mistake the previous day which is capable of getting me sacked. So I called my mom and explained to her, and then she prayed and fasted for me and called me later to tell me that she saw herself in a vision rescue a little child who had fallen into a pit. It's a pity sha, our concierge got sacked for that mistake the following day. I pray God took care of her.

On July 1, 2013, I was reposted to a newly opened branch in PH, and for a while, we were just two Trainee Account Officers and my BM. There were many account opening requests, and even though I didn't have the experience of working as an Account Officer, it was my new role, so I had to learn and adapt quickly.

However, on August 13, 2013 unfortunately and unknowingly, one of the initial accounts I opened was that of a fraudster, which he used to commit his crimes. I had not done proper KYC on the account and so the guy just disappeared into thin air - he got the better of me because I was very naive of the 'commercial streets'.

I had to face a disciplinary panel for this on December 6, 2013; prior to facing the panel, I called my uncle to pray for me, which he did. So, while with the panel, I told them all the truth, and resigned to my fate; hoping my honesty would at least purchase me leniency - but little did I know....

One month later, on January 7, 2014, I woke up from a dream early in the morning. In that dream I was wearing my suit, but half-naked cos I was without the trousers, and I was in a lot of smelly faeces and quagmire in the dream before I woke up. I went to work, and it was just a normal work day like any other. However, something strange happened just before the close of business; I noticed that I couldn't log on in my desktop. I just thought it was mere network issues that would correct after a while. But a while later, my Acting BM invited me into his office for a 'brief' discussion. He asked me if I was having issues logging on, and I answered in the affirmative, and then he broke the sad news to me that I had just been fired, and that's why I couldn't log on, also the confirmatory mail had been sent to him. I stood there shocked! Never saw such a harsh judgement; for God's sake I was just 11 months on the job and made the mistake at about my first month working at the branch without adequate senior guidance. Walking out of the branch that evening, I was depressed, and ashamed; I just turned around and stared at my desk across the hall for one last time - an hour ago, I never realised that I would never be sitting there anymore.

My journey home was normally a 10 minutes walk, but walking home that day took me over an hour, even though I didn't make any stops. I called my main BM who was then on leave; he seemed to already know about the decision. At this point, I was 26 years, had only about N70k plus 200USD savings - my pay was still in the process of upgrade when all this happened, so I never got to enjoy the main financial benefits.

For two days, I just lay down on my bed and couldn't get myself to tell anyone that I had been sacked. But I knew the questions would soon be coming as to why I was not going to work anymore, so I put myself together and one-by-one called all my loved ones and disclosed what had happened. First, I told my cousin, in whose house I was staying, then my parents and siblings. My girlfriend was the last for me to tell, cos I really loved her and was afraid she would change her attitude towards me. It saddened all of them, but then it was the beginning of my re-birth.

Of all those I told, I will only share how I broke the news to my gf.
I called her on the phone because she was in Lagos then. So I asked her, "Do you really love me?" And she said yes, and assured me that she did after I asked her again. I asked her, "If I don't have money any more, would you still love me?" And she said yes, and asked why I was sounding that way; so I told her it's because I had just lost my job. She seemed to be in disbelief.
However, over time her attitude changed; she became less respectful, began to play with my emotions, and do other things she never used to.

I will stop here sha, but if i get enough likes I will take it as a request to continue.

Thank you for reading my epistle!

7 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by judility(m): 5:15pm On Jun 02, 2021
Keep in touch with your company, the will call you back when things stabilise , I see so, also your husband, you could have help empower him a little to start doing something then, but is well... That's the country we found our self.
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Gjmff: 6:02pm On Jun 02, 2021
Just do not give up keep hope alive and focus on creating one yourself be a boss
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by armadeo(m): 6:11pm On Jun 02, 2021
I once got fired on the spot for getting a better job.

That was freaking hilarious. I told my boss I would be leaving in january around october and got fired.

I was supposed to resume immediately but put it off so i can ease out of my current work place.

I informed my new employer and was asked to resume the next week. Which I did.

My only sack experience.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Powersurge: 6:27pm On Jun 02, 2021
Robertkenny:
Mrs. Juliet

I was with my husband on March 31st, it was 3 or 4 o’clock in the afternoon and I took a phone call from the owner of my company, the president and COO. He informed me that my position was being eliminated.

Significant changes had to be made to the small, family-owned business I worked for due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Coming from leadership, I understand. I worked for Skymack communications, a publishing company here in Lagos, for over 13 years. I was senior vice president of operations, client service and account management. The majority of the clients I worked with were in the airline space, so Covid-19 had huge impact on the area of the business I managed.

Even though being let go is not a personal issue for me, when you get that call from your boss, it’s quite a shock to the system.

The first person I told was my husband. We went for a walk because I just wanted to takeout bad thought and feel free. It’s so overwhelming that you don’t want to think about the “What if”.

I cried when I told my husband, but it wasn’t sadness that I felt. I didn’t feel a connection to my job title such that it was a loss of my sense of self. It was more, “Well, what am I going to do now?” Or maybe it was because you have to say those words: “I’ve been laid off.” I never said those words before.

But I didn’t actually tell my two girls, who are 12 and 16, for almost a full 48hours. I just sat with it first. I was thinking, “How am I going to tell them that I have been laid off”?.

My girls have seen me get up and go to work their whole lives. I don’t believe they tied me as a person to my job, but they do understand that my job provides money for the family to live.

I was really trying to figure out, how do I tell them without scaring them? And how will I keep a level of composure?.

The third day I told them. Schools in Lagos were closed, so my daughters were homeschooling. I called them into the living room, sat down and told them that I had been let go from my position at work. I was crying while telling them.

They both sort of looked at me and they said, “Well, what does that mean for us?”

How you handle yourself is everything when it comes to how they’re going to respond, so I immediately composed myself.
“Well, we’re probably going to have to make some changes initially, but as a parent let I and your dad focus on that. I don’t want you to worry about that” I said.

My eldest daughter got angry and frustrated at my employer. “Aren’t you important? Don’t they think you’re valuable?” she asked with a sad face.

“I am valuable” I said. But my value has nothing to do with my job. I’m valuable for a lot of other reasons.”

“I will find a job that makes me happier, a place to work that values me, a place where I want to be” I said. The girls asked questions about money too. I have a loan to pay and other bills. “Yeah, we’re going to have to make some changes, for me to be able to pay back” I said.

“I’m going to have to really work to get another job or figure out what my next move is” I said.

For now we’re good. My girls and I are stable and we’re happy. We have made some changes towards managing most things around us. For instance with food shopping, we are not particularly frivolous, but now we are much more careful.

Also there is no “I need does cloths just because they’re beautiful or I want to do online shopping for me and my girls”. They know they need to be conscientious about what they ask for. And they have been fantastic without reminder.

And I have not stopped my job search, but I am not obsessing. Right now everything is fine, but that won’t last forever. So I am trying to determine what my new normal is going to be.

I lost my job on 4th January, new year gift I supposed. The irony of it was that I lost the job in another city where I was transferred to.

I quickly gathered the little I had left on me to start small business (hair cream production). It came with its own frustrations, especially from customers. But I had small money to feed myself. I was on the field myself. No time for yeye "bigmanism". Mind you, I am still single. So that reduced some burden from me. Moved back to Lagos, got f2f apartment (because if you make the mistake of staying with family, u fit commit suicide on a long run).

I dusted my cv, up my skillset (Jack up some IT stuff I was learning earlier). Just got an offer last month. resuming soon. Pay is not the best, as everything in Naija is costly. However, it's like twice my former pay. Praying for a better experience in this one.

3 Likes

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by KingofHearts(m): 6:46pm On Jun 02, 2021
ThePlainTruth:
A man needs a job but no job guarantee, this world is an A$$. Only GOD can help.

Let all good people help each other. Why don't we all contribute into one bank account when one person is out of work we help that person financially till they find work?

The government should provide unemployment benefit for situations like this, but since it does not exist we can help by doing it ourselves 

You may not understand in very clear terms what you have just mentioned here. My second Company, a social enterprise has been putting this sort of plan to work with much difficulty but relative progress.

What you mentioned here is called "Collective prosperity" .Here is where the problem is, Africans hate collective prosperity!!! Collective prosperity is the only solution to make Africa a better place, a pool of funds that serves as a social spine and support system.

when we fail to support the social systems or initiatives in place we find out the hard way that there is nothing to help us during crises. We are all one bad government policy away from retrenchment, loss, poverty ,sickness/health challenge ,financial worries.

During the hottest period of Covid did you observe that Nigeria and more than 37 African countries lacked the social plan to support it's people? Obvious lack of food banks, drug banks and so on. The security we yearn for is in our hands to fix collectively(especially in the hands of MEN)

We have a funding program (Voluntary African Sponsorship &Support Fund) called VASSFUND and Social program that attends to most of this problems and some collaborations in place.

If we all decide to put N10 weekly together you will be shocked at how many hospitals we can fix, how many CCTV we can put at black spots and create jobs monitoring by them, How much of food price we can crash form a social food transportation system, how much of locally made supplements that can be shared to seniors and children, how much of an internet based free education we can collectively provide especially for the displaced children who will be our next big headache in 5-10years. This goes beyond supporting people out of job, there's health needs, education needs, temporary shelter needs, basic clothing needs..so much to do with less involved!

Every time we complain or find our selves in situations of need it is because we have failed ourselves, our generation and the ones coming after us without the conscience to accept our failures, roll our sleeves and solve our problems. we rather spend time on tribalism, ethnic stupidity, religion without love and value, talking about tacha, davido vs wizkid, champions league year in year out...not that these are sins but these discussions can be better enjoyed in a better environment built by us for all.

If our government can do it they would have attempted to fix 1/10 sadly they cannot and will not!. Plain truth is from my personal experience across many African nations the situation is more or less the same. Don't be fooled by fine pictures of some African countries or life in the City, it is not that very different overall!

I am truly very amazed to find someone like you on this platform (very scarce!) and would really be interested in showing you what we have been doing and talking further about collective prosperity. hit me at xmode3@yahoo.com .
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by inyanging: 6:56pm On Jun 02, 2021
Robertkenny:
Mrs. Juliet

yea , pls u were a vice president, now Now God want to be President & Coo just thank God & Step in, it sound horrible but that the Truth, for 13 yts , in a company ,pls start doing what u were doing , in small ways get Ur self registeration, next industry meeting u & Ur former boss will will be discuss ing the problems of the sector as coleaque ,u will thank me in the future

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by gonkin(m): 7:19pm On Jun 02, 2021
Thanks so much. Someone just added an extra bar to my life. Thank you sir. Thanks

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Ologunfe: 7:28pm On Jun 02, 2021
Sad though but stay strong. One door closes another door opens.
Think deep. Turn your skills to solutions for people and start a business.
Secondly, talk to some of your clients you might have an answer soon. Speaking from experience.
Third, share your CV with me.

All the best
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Dbliz(m): 9:02pm On Jun 02, 2021
mema900:

START A BUSINESS!! Not trading ooh! BUSINESS!
Please can you expanciate more on that buisness part?
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Solsix(m): 9:13pm On Jun 02, 2021
CharisEleos:
That's one thing with private organizations. No job security. Imagine after thirteen whole years of service, you were laid off over the phone just like that. Dang!

That is why govenment job is still better. Though they may not pay so hugely but at least you're sure of job security and a huge compensation ( gratuity) after your service years with a lifetime benefit ( pension).

This is why it is good to have a personal establishment while working with all these private organizations just in case.

So demoralizing.

My own we came to work and we couldn't log in no be person tell say they don sack us. It was half of the month or more they could not pay us one month salary. They minus the remaining days from our salary.it was a very horrible experience.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by abimbola74(m): 9:17pm On Jun 02, 2021
Amtrak:
Aeyah... Sorry dear.

At about 12:33pm on Friday, February 8, 2013, 1 was sitting frustrated in the Teachers' Staff Room of the secondary school I was teaching in. I had just been unjustly scolded by the school principal for flogging a student that had really misbehaved bad. Was looking at the ceiling and thinking about my life when my phone rang - a call to resume at my new job on Monday! It was unbelievable; so I just went to the principal's office and told him I was leaving the job. I caught the next available bus to Lagos.

Training school was so funpacked! We were 54 trainees in my class; 18 guys, and 36 ladies, so each guy 'had two ladies to himself'... lol! I was attending classes from my uncle's house in VI, leaving early in the mornings and returning around 7pm in the evenings, for 65 days, until my first posting to a branch after Training School.

So, one day in May, as I returned from work and knocked on my uncle's door, my aunt (his wife) came rushing and opened the door. She had just woken up from her sleep and said she was rushing because she thought she had heard me crying from a trance that 'the job did not work out'. I didn't really understand, until I got to work the next day and realised that I had made a mistake the previous day which is capable of getting me sacked. So I called my mom and explained to her, and then she prayed and fasted for me and called me later to tell me that she saw herself in a vision rescue a little child who had fallen into a pit. It's a pity sha, our concierge got sacked for that mistake the following day. I pray God took care of her.

On July 1, 2013, I was reposted to a newly opened branch in PH, and for a while, we were just two Trainee Account Officers and my BM. There were many account opening requests, and even though I didn't have the experience of working as an Account Officer, it was my new role, so I had to learn and adapt quickly.

However, on August 13, 2013 unfortunately and unknowingly, one of the initial accounts I opened was that of a fraudster, which he used to commit his crimes. I had not done proper KYC on the account and so the guy just disappeared into thin air - he got the better of me cos I was very of the 'commercial streets' naive.

I had to face a disciplinary panel for this on December 6, 2013; prior to facing the panel, I called my uncle to pray for me, which he did. So, while with the panel, I told them all the truth, and resigned to my fate; hoping my honesty would at least purchase me leniency - but little did I know....

One month later, on January 7, 2014, I woke up from a dream early in the morning. In that dream I was wearing my suit, but half-naked cos I was without the trousers, and I was in a lot of smelly faeces and quagmire in the dream before I woke up. I went to work, and it was just a normal work day like any other. However, something strange happened just before the close of business; I noticed that I couldn't log on in my desktop. I just thought it was mere network issues that would correct after a while. But a while later, my Acting BM invited me into his office for a 'brief' discussion. He asked me if I was having issues logging on, and I answered in the affirmative, and then he broke the sad news to me that I had just been fired, and that's why I couldn't log on, also the confirmatory mail had been sent to him. I stood there shocked! Never saw such a harsh judgement; for God's sake I was just 11 months on the job and made the mistake at about my first month working at the branch without adequate senior guidance. Walking out of the branch that evening, I was depressed, and ashamed; I just turned around and stared at my desk across the hall for one last time - an hour ago, I never realised that I would never be seating there anymore.

My journey home was normally a 10 minutes walk, but walking home that day took me over an hour, even though I didn't make any stops. I called my main BM who was then on leave; he seeded to already know about the decision. At this point, I was 26 years, had only about N70k plus 200USD savings - my pay was still in the process of upgrade when all this happened, so I never got to enjoy the main financial benefits.

For two days, I just lay down on my bed and couldn't get myself to tell anyone that I had been sacked. But I knew the questions would soon be coming as to why I was not going to work anymore, so I put myself together and one-by-one called all my loved ones and disclosed what had happened. First, I told my cousin, in whose house I was staying, then my parents and siblings. My girlfriend was the last for me to tell, cos I really loved her and was afraid she would change her attitude towards me. It saddened all of them, but then it was the beginning of my re-birth.

Of all those I told, I will only share how I broke the news to my gf.
I called her on the phone because she was in Lagos then. So I asked her, "Do you really love me?" And she said yes, and assured me that she did after I asked her again. I asked her, "If I don't have money any more, would you still love me?" And she said yes, and asked why I was sounding that was; so I told her it's because I had just lost my job. She seemed to be in disbelief.
However, over time her attitude changed; she became less respectful, began to play with my emotions, and do other things she never used to.

I will stop here sha, but if i get enough likes I will take it as a request to continue.

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 02, 2021
Solsix:

My own we came to work and we couldn't log in no be person tell say they don sack us. It was half of the month or more they could not pay us one month salary. They minus the remaining days from our salary.it was a very horrible experience.

Aww.. this is bad. No regards or respect for you guys whatsoever.

Why do some of these companies treat people like trash? Very cruel of them.

Pele.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 02, 2021
Amtrak:
Aeyah... Sorry dear.

Pls continue. You know your comment isn't on the first page. Don't expect to get more likes. Pls continue.
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Arkmanbuddy(m): 11:52pm On Jun 02, 2021
mema900:

START A BUSINESS!!
Not trading ooh! BUSINESS!

Why do people just talk like this? Start a business without capital? He just said he doesn't have anything. Even you screaming business don't know the difference between a business and a trade.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Lambarry1: 3:07am On Jun 03, 2021
This woman is obviously the oga at the top in the house. This woman obviously has taken this paid job to be her whole life. If you understand nature you will take one day at a time then you will realise nothing in life is permanent.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by GANDALF1(m): 3:51am On Jun 03, 2021
Robertkenny:
Mrs. Juliet

Quite touching cry Wish I could give you a job right now kiss
Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by motymop: 8:00am On Jun 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

To answer your other questions, we need to gravitate away from this premise that Nigerians are poor. We are not. A salaried worker can easily afford the necessary taxes.

How many employers and employees will like to fund unemployment benefits after funding their pension and healthcare, the deductions will scare many away from it.

Many Nigerians don't believe in insurance talkless of unemployment insurance.

I like the idea you have but in the case of Nigeria, it should be the employee that should choose whether he or she wants an unemployment insurance or not. The employee should be able to walk to any insurance company and pick up an unemployment insurance after his or her salaries have been paid.

1 Like

Re: What It Was Like To Tell My Kids I Lost My Job by Crystalclara(f): 8:06am On Jun 03, 2021
Dear poster, this is exactly my story. Mine happened in March too. It was difficult for me to let go but thank God for today. Life goes on.... I've been applying for jobs and believing God for a miracle.
Las Las we will be alright.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Secondary School Job / KPMG Aptitude Test Invitation / CNSSL Recruits Call Centre Agents..it Closes Today 11:59pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.