Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,006 members, 7,838,524 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner (1687 Views)

Foreigner Flies To Nigeria To Wed His Lover At Ikoyi Registry (video) / Why Do Igbo Girls Have Beards On The Side Of Their Face / "I Just Need A Rich Man That Will Be Taking Care Of Me Like His Little Sister" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by JackDaAlienz(m): 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2021
I'm a Nigerian, and Igbo
black and tall
I spent some years abroad
Then came back few years ago.

The issue is that I'm Igbo and wherever I go, people speak English to me instead of Igbo. But if another guy enters the shop they speak Igbo with him.

It makes me feel weird, do I look like ajebo pikin or what??
It pains me when I try to communicate with ppl and they reply in English as if I'm a white man..

One of my friend, said it's because I don't have HARD FACE. He said every Nigerian has a rugged hard face but since I came back from abroad I still have plumpy face which makes people think I'm from wealthy family.
Is this hard face theory true?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Starseed(m): 3:52pm On Jun 02, 2021
Post ur pix, let's see how rugged ur face is.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by richmond500: 3:54pm On Jun 02, 2021
U deh even live for Obodo Oyibo

We weh go school and live in Nigerian cities are seen as demigods when we land village, if u see as babes deh rush me wen I enter village for Xmas ehn, though my home town is developed sha but there is still that city boy vibe weh I get

Just accept it bro, Nigerians are like that
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Coldshisha: 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2021
You are the type they tease as my mama say I be Ibo

Reminds me of my friend Victor who grew up in Lagos, when another SouthEast Ibo speaks Ibo you can notice it's very different sound, and Victor always sounds pleasing to hears somehow posh

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by JackDaAlienz(m): 4:12pm On Jun 02, 2021
Coldshisha:
You are the type they tease as my mama say I be Ibo

Reminds me of my friend Victor who grew up in Lagos, when another SouthEast Ibo speaks Ibo you can notice it's very different sound, and Victor always sounds pleasing to hears
While in university, many people I meet at first thought I was Yoruba.
When I tell them I'm Igbo they get shocked.
I dunno mehnn I just want to vibe with my people in Igbo language but the way they treat me as if I don't know how to speak Igbo or I'm a foreigner pisses me off
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by JackDaAlienz(m): 4:15pm On Jun 02, 2021
Starseed:
Lol maybe later
But I think it's because I have chubby face and not rigged hard face
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by abeniagbon(m): 4:16pm On Jun 02, 2021
JackDaAlienz:
I'm a Nigerian, black and tall
I spent some years abroad
Then came back few years ago.

The issue is that I'm Igbo and wherever I go, people speak English to me instead of Igbo. But if another guy enters the shop they speak Igbo with him.

It makes me feel weird, do I look like ajebo pikin or what??
It pains me when I try to communicate with ppl and they reply in English as if I'm a white man..

One of my friend, said it's because I don't have HARD FACE. He said every Nigerian has a rugged hard face but since I came back from abroad I still have plumpy face which makes people think I'm from wealthy family.
Is this hard face theory true?

Probably maybe you're not fluent with the Igbo language. So maybe they find a flaw in your words they just change instead of correcting you.. like my wife , she couldn't speak Igbo fluently again, so when she speaks people do the same by communicating to her with English

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by temitope27(m): 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Quality20(m): 4:46pm On Jun 02, 2021
just be wearing singlet and shorts or 3/4 trousers everywhere and everyday and also b speaking broken English. Then sometimes u may struggle with ruffians after getting drunk like other typical Igbos

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Cholls(m): 5:33pm On Jun 02, 2021
Starseed:

[img]https:///media/6-10-2018/nFVMcC.gif[/img] [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by hybrid11(m): 5:46pm On Jun 02, 2021
If you translate your write up to igbo without using google translate, then your problem is solved

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by thatsleepboy1: 6:20pm On Jun 02, 2021
The way things are going, time will come when you want to borrow credit from MTN and they will be like "Swear say you go pay back before 7 days time"
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by SmartPolician: 9:04pm On Jun 02, 2021
Quality20:
just be wearing singlet and shorts or 3/4 trousers everywhere and everyday and also b speaking broken English. Then sometimes u may struggle with ruffians after getting drunk like other typical Igbos

There are many sick people are on Nairaland. grin

This dude right here is one of them grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Solsix(m): 10:36am On Jun 03, 2021
richmond500:
U deh even live for Obodo Oyibo

We weh go school and live in Nigerian cities are seen as demigods when we land village, if u see as babes deh rush me wen I enter village for Xmas ehn, though my home town is developed sha but there is still that city boy vibe weh I get

Just accept it bro, Nigerians are like that
U dey brag say village gals dey drag you, anyway is either your village is another osun or there are scarcity of men in your village

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Solsix(m): 10:39am On Jun 03, 2021
Op u don have command of the language and u want people to allow you to spoil our language. It is a common practice in igbo villages and town, when u don't have command of the language we speak English

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by richmond500: 10:43am On Jun 03, 2021
Solsix:

U dey brag say village gals dey drag you, anyway is either your village is another osun or there are scarcity of men in your village
there is a difference between a rural and urban communities.

Even in some urban areas, if u just leave them and stay in Abuja for months, when u come back, they see u as demigods
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Solsix(m): 1:01pm On Jun 03, 2021
richmond500:
there is a difference between a rural and urban communities.

Even in some urban areas, if u just leave them and stay in Abuja for months, when u come back, they see u as demigods
Not in my village, unless u have money to spend. Unto what will gals be following u up and down
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by richmond500: 1:24pm On Jun 03, 2021
Solsix:

Not in my village, unless u have money to spend. Unto what will gals be following u up and down
I didn't say girls follow u up and down, there are few girls in ur compound and some friends u made the previous years, moreover I live in Rivers state and my home town is the capital of my LGA, so yes we are developed but I'm talking about being viewed as one fresh sweet guy wen u land village after so many months or years in the city, everybody will want to make u happy and if u play ur card well, then u can get the girls.
If u don't get viewed that way wen u reach village, then u are enormously ugly.
Its not about how ur villa is, even back then when I left for school, whenever I come back, my first few days at home, my family treats me real nice and like an egg before everything goes back to normal.

Even one of my friend who's father is ultra rich and lives in abj had the chance to study her dream course in Nigeria or study Law in Europe, she chooses Europe cos she wan show off to her friends despite her frieƱds are also millionaires children, there is that vibe u have wen u just leave ur vicinity and later step in, u are a king mehn
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Jeon(f): 2:40pm On Jul 22, 2021
JackDaAlienz:

Lol maybe later

Go for buccal fat removal.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by ifytrik(m): 3:29pm On Jul 22, 2021
Cholls:

[img]https:///media/6-10-2018/nFVMcC.gif[/img]
chai lalasticlala, Dominique con see yourselves oo, lala de dance abeg
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Lilsameey: 3:50pm On Jul 22, 2021
JackDaAlienz:

Lol maybe later
,..Bring your face, let me handle the rigging,..just $500 would do.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Treat Me Like A Foreigner by Zeddicus20: 3:51pm On Jul 22, 2021
I provide working paypal account that you can you use to send, receive and make payment on any platform that supports PayPal account, that will work well in Nigeria. You can actually enjoy the features and use PayPal in Nigeria perfectly without difficulty, all you need is to know how to use PayPal in Nigeria.I will teach you how to be withdrawing your money from PayPal to your ATM card here in Nigeria, then cash out your money from ATM .

If you need PayPal account you can contact me let deal. My WhatsApp contact is 0-7-0-6-3-3-7-4-1-5-9.
The price is very cheap.
Your satisfaction is my priority

(1) (Reply)

I Represented Nigeria In Dance Competition At London In 1984. Isaac Chinagorom / [18+]do Some Nigerian Ladies Still Have Any Standards? Because Of Small Rema... / I Am In Serious Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.