Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,603 members, 7,812,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? (3184 Views)

Religious & Non-religious: 6 Steps To Quit Indecency And self-service Forever / To My Fellow Non-religious: Do You Miss Anything About Your Lost Faith? / Question For Atheists And Religious People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by exu(m): 6:44pm On Feb 09, 2006
Do You Often Come Across People Who Aren't Religious?  This is a question for those in Nigeria:

Do you often meet people who aren't affiliated with a religion or set of beliefs or does Nigerian society pressurise people into hiding behind one religion or another?
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:25pm On Feb 18, 2006
Nope. Even armed robbers are religious in Nigeria!
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by exu(m): 5:49pm On Feb 18, 2006
That reminds of a very sad story someone told me about some armed robbers:

A night bus travelling from Calabar to Lagos and was apprehended by some armed thieves. The thieves asked the passengers if they had paid tithes; those who had were left with all their money intact, unfortunately those who didn't were made to pay 'a tithe' to the thieves.

The saddest part of this story is that the guy who told it to me said (with a smile on his face) that this was an example of "God looking after his people"-  I guess he'd never heard of the Holocaust.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by chrisd(m): 5:54pm On Feb 18, 2006
I think the Holocoust never stopped.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by KAG: 7:16pm On Feb 19, 2006
exu:

That reminds of a very sad story someone told me about some armed robbers:

A night bus travelling from Calabar to Lagos and was apprehended by some armed thieves. The thieves asked the passengers if they had paid tithes; those who had were left with all their money intact, unfortunately those who didn't were made to pay 'a tithe' to the thieves.

The saddest part of this story is that the guy who told it to me said (with a smile on his face) that this was an example of "God looking after his people"- I guess he'd never heard of the Holocaust.

Strangely, or maybe not so strange afterall, many christians are bizarrely gleeful when it comes to a perceived punishment from YHVH, on unbelievers, apostates etc, it really is cringeworthy. Remember that thread about "God", that involved several christians extolling a God who would senselessly kill hundreds of people on the Titanic just because of an innocuous statement by a guy who wasn't even on the ship. Yet many christians wonder why they are viewed with derision.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:21am On Feb 20, 2006
Tai Solarin is the most famous Nigerian atheist. He was very influential vocal about his beliefs (or unbeliefs). After he died, imaginative newspaper editors reported on how his ghost came back to warn his family about the afterlife. cheesy
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by demmy(m): 10:39am On Feb 20, 2006
There are but very few. We should remember that people don't take lightly to non-religious individuals. You're branded "keferi" and an outkast even important people like Solarin are not spared with Fani-Kayode's impertinently calling him Godless and unworthy of Obasanjo's attention. But I do know of the NIGERIAN HUMANIST STUDENTS SOCIETY inspired I think by Tai solarin and the Nigerian Skeptics Society.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by nferyn(m): 11:05am On Feb 20, 2006
About Tai Solarin:
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/Tai_Solarin.html

Well worth a read, even for the religiously inclined wink
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 11:18am On Feb 20, 2006
Not interested, i guard my heart against what i read.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by exu(m): 11:32am On Feb 20, 2006
Just think how much better the world would be if more people thought like this:

Tai Solarin wrote: ‘ My allegiance is to man. Locally to the Nigerian; universally to humanity.’

Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by demmy(m): 11:49am On Feb 20, 2006
Its a shame that Tai's ideas haven't had much influence in Nigeria. angry
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by nferyn(m): 12:04pm On Feb 20, 2006
lioness:

Not interested, i guard my heart against what i read.
Self-imposed ignorance. So sad undecided cry
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by ijebuman(m): 12:16pm On Feb 20, 2006
'blacks hold onto their God just as the drunken man holds on to the street lamp post--for physical support only'.

Great article on Tai, He remains one of the few Nigerians that i truly admire (along with Fela smiley)
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 3:03pm On Feb 20, 2006
Whats this supposed to mean Nferyn angry

[Not interested, i guard my heart against what i read.

Self-imposed ignorance. So sad /quote]
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by nferyn(m): 3:53pm On Feb 20, 2006
lioness:

Whats this supposed to mean Nferyn angry
Exactly what it reads.
I try to learn and understand opinions that differ from mine, you do not seem to seek that kind of knowledge.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by whitesoftx(m): 4:06pm On Feb 20, 2006
@Inferyn and lioness

do you guys want to turn this part of the forum into a boxing ring grin
ok! Bring it on! I'm here to judge your points. just kidding guys, you dont have to start digging on each other! Together Everybody Achieve More (thats what they called TEAM) and learning never ends! go guys!
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 4:18pm On Feb 20, 2006
Am sorry Nferyn that i don't share your ideas or your "classical/logical" way of reasoning.
And i also don't think that gives you any right to refer to my post as "self imposed ignorance". Thereby referring to me as having accepted ignorance.

The fact that i guard my heart on what i read doesnt mean i don't accept or don't have knowledge. Neither have i rejected knowledge.
I think it was a rude thing to say and i believe i can be rude too.  So u better watch your mouth man!  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 4:22pm On Feb 20, 2006
@ whitesoftx,

I dont want trouble but why should Nferyn call me "self imposed ignorance". Just because i refused reading his attachment. I think it was rude. The fact that someone doesnt share your views doesnt mean u condem their post or start calling them names. I have watched Nferyn do that alot on this forum. I wont take that shit from him.

NFERYN, angry you just got on my last nerve pal.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by whitesoftx(m): 4:42pm On Feb 20, 2006
We can not be here and read you guys chew each other around

@inferyn
I think lioness deserves a light apology for that, remember I'm not part of the admin but 'life is for everyone and "for one's self"'.

@lioness
sorry dude. If he really get on your last nerver, why dont you UNDO it and change to the first nerve either grin

One Love NL
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by whitesoftx(m): 4:45pm On Feb 20, 2006
We can not be here and read you guys chew each other around

@inferyn
I think lioness deserves a light apology for that, remember I'm not part of the admin but 'life is for everyone and "for one's self"'.

@lioness
sorry lady. If he really gets on your last nerver, why don't you UNDO it and change to the first nerve instead grin

One Love Nairaland
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by nferyn(m): 4:56pm On Feb 20, 2006
@ lioness

I appologise for being too frank and sounding off rude. It's calling a spade a spade and I am sorry because it is certainly not my intention to offend you.
I stand by what I said, but you really do not need to read more into it than that. It does not imply anything whatsoever about your qualities as a human being, only that you shut yourself off from this specific knowledge.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2006
@ Nferyn

I accept your apology cos i clearly understand the inability of one to use appropriate words for precise expression of thoughts. And of course the adamant nature of the human race associated with its egostic being will find a counter attack a slight and would therefore resolve to insults as a head way - this doesnt not apply to all humans though.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 6:34pm On Feb 21, 2006
extremely minute; and we are the worse for it.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 10:21pm On Feb 21, 2006
The idea of people blocking themselves from knowledge is something that makes one sad. cry cry
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by thekrafter(m): 1:12am On Feb 22, 2006
otokx:

extremely minute; and we are the worse for it.

Really, otokx?
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 9:08am On Feb 22, 2006
Seun,

Am a software Engineer. I dont think i need another degree in medicine, banking, or Law Ok. I believe in God and I dont see any knowledge in reading about a guy who doesnt believe in God. The only knowledge am going to acquire from there is doubt and confusion and i personally dont need that S*&T Ok.
Now if you dont see the sense in this, then your the sad case kiss

[
Posted on: Yesterday at 10:21:33 PM
Posted by: Seun
Insert Quote
The idea of people blocking themselves from knowledge is something that makes one sad. /quote]
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 9:56am On Feb 22, 2006
What if your belief in God is wrong?
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 10:15am On Feb 22, 2006
Before i believed in God, i tried him out to see if He really works. In the past, i have read articles and listened to those who didnt beileve. I t didnt make any sense to me.

So what if i was supposed to be a doctor, do i drop my degree/profession in software engineering and go back to school undecided
No man knows ALL the truth Seun. Life is a matter of choice. I have made mine, make yours.
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 10:45am On Feb 22, 2006
Don't you think it's bad to make a firm decision on a serious issue and then run away from all evidence to the contrary? Imagine a judge that says "I think the client is guilty" and then goes ahead to support his "faith" by simply refusing to entertain any evidence to the contrary, no matter how solid. Would you like to be tried by such a judge? Don't you think such a judge is rather silly?
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 10:53am On Feb 22, 2006
yeah its bad. Thats why i listened and read artilcles on not believing in God before i started believing in God.
Been there, Done that u might say.
Seun, Do you believe in God
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:00am On Feb 22, 2006
Re: Any Non-Religious People In Nigeria? by lioness(f): 11:26am On Feb 22, 2006
lol yeah Seun, if thats what works for you.
As long as u know what you in for. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did Christ Also Die For The Black Africans? / C.A.C Ori Oke Agbara Olorun Ngbani. / What Happens To Babies Born After Rapture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.