Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,309 members, 7,819,052 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One (767 Views)

How To Cope With A Stingy Boyfriend? / Overly Tall Guys How Do U Cope With Self Esteem Cuz Mine Is Killing Me!! / How Do You Cope With Gossip Housewives As Neigbhours Being A Bachelor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 6:46pm On Jun 05, 2021
Last year on my birthday I loss someone dear to me. My initial plan was to surprise my brothers and friends with a small party, although not a fan of birthday celebrations and all the excitement that comes with it, but I had wanted making 2020's an exception.

On that fateful day, I received a call at about 5:20am it was an odd time for the caller to call even though it was my birthday and the big bomb was dropped on me. I felt an excruciating pain to say the least from the news that one of my favorite persons on God's earth was gone. I couldn't do anything to numb the pain and sat still, disoriented and disorganized like someone who suffered brain fog. I have to admit it was one of the darkest moments of my life.

Luckily, I was able to survive that period. I have been strong because I know that is what he would have wanted. To all those hurting as a result of loss here are some ways to get by.

Grieve as much as you can

The issue with a lot of people dealing with loss is, the fact that they try to conceal their pain by acting strong, it's okay to be a big baby no one will judge you for that. The truth is, if you fake being a warrior when you ought to have let it out it will hit you strong later, release whatever emotion you feel.

Accept the reality

In most cases of loss, we tend to get scared of coming to terms with our new reality, thereby live in denial of what happened. Embrace your new reality.

Keep memories alive

What helped me during my time of grief was the memories I had of my dear beloveth. I remembered his kind heart; in his world there was no age or class difference everyone was equal and this was a big take for me.

Honour them

Do something to honour their memory. You can set up a foundation in honour of them especially if such a person died as a result of an ailment. This will help in creating awareness about such sickness or help those suffering from same.

You can also set up a business, write a book to honour them. Continue whatever good work they had been involved before their demise.

Hang around people

Lastly, do not islolate yourself. I know how tempting the idea of being left alone can be, because at that point there is that feeling that no one understand what you're going through, trust me its better to be around people. Keeping to yourself is like taking the long route to healing which might lead to depression.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by detectivejones: 8:43pm On Jun 06, 2021
Very helpful tips
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by Jeremani: 9:09pm On Jun 06, 2021
I Lost my beloved uncle, who trained me in school when i lost my dad at the age of 8, it was as if i should take my life. But God is faithful. His death break down everything about me. I do think of him almost everyday, to the extent i dream about him almost everyday.
I talk to myself that i should have to let him go.

We don come this life na to die remain

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by halogate: 9:54pm On Jun 06, 2021
.. after the loss of 2 immediate family members, I have come to realize that death is INEVITABLE. Nobody lives forever. It's only a matter of time. undecided
Even me and the next person to post after me will go one day

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by Goldbw122(m): 10:00pm On Jun 06, 2021
Just live the moment like is the last ... Because it is all a memory..
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by Nasww22nasww: 6:03am On Jun 07, 2021
Hi
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 3:38pm On Jun 07, 2021
Jeremani:
I Lost my beloved uncle, who trained me in school when i lost my dad at the age of 8, it was as if i should take my life. But God is faithful. His death break down everything about me. I do think of him almost everyday, to the extent i dream about him almost everyday.
I talk to myself that i should have to let him go.

We don come this life na to die remain

Thank God for the strength to let go of grief.
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 3:39pm On Jun 07, 2021
halogate:
.. after the loss of 2 immediate family members, I have come to realize that death is INEVITABLE. Nobody lives forever. It's only a matter of time. undecided
Even me and the next person to post after me will go one day

Exactly...we're all headed outta here some day
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 3:40pm On Jun 07, 2021
Goldbw122:
Just live the moment like is the last ... Because it is all a memory..

True..
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 3:42pm On Jun 07, 2021
Nasww22nasww:
Hi

Hello
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 3:56pm On Jun 07, 2021
detectivejones:
Very helpful tips

Thanks.
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by skywalker240(m): 4:34pm On Jun 07, 2021
I lost my elder brother April 23 2021

Still devastating cry embarassed

Nice write
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 4:56pm On Jun 07, 2021
skywalker240:
I lost my elder brother April 23 2021
Still devastating cry embarassed
Nice write

My deepest condolences. You will heal too Thanks btw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by annro101(m): 5:34pm On Jun 07, 2021
It's true. But I have been trying to forget my late dad, mehn it's hasn't been easy. This is over 11 years. Especially when I remember how I struggle to complete education yet the educational system keep fucking up in Nigeria. It's well sha. Because I no know wetin for make me still make me remain for Nigeria
Re: 5 Ways To Cope With Loss Of A Loved One by eneazi(f): 10:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
annro101:
It's true. But I have been trying to forget my late dad, mehn it's hasn't been easy. This is over 11 years. Especially when I remember how I struggle to complete education yet the educational system keep fucking up in Nigeria. It's well sha. Because I no know wetin for make me still make me remain for Nigeria

Forgetting loss ones is never easy, but time will heal us gradually. And thank God you were able to complete your education against all odds, trust me your dad is proud of you

(1) (Reply)

Dating Your Friends Brother Or Brother's Friend / How To Make A Woman Fall In Love With You / Adieu to this SIMPle Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.