Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,921 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. (2145 Views)

Yoruba Nation: Modupe Onitiri Abiola Declares Secession From Nigeria (video) / Igbo Scare: Southern Cameroon Hate For The Igbo Led To Secession From Nigeria / How Azikiwe, Ekwueme Were Denied Presidency – Bafarawa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Skoonheid(f): 6:23pm On Jun 07, 2021
In 1953 when Northern Nigerians were beginning to consider secession from the Nigerian colony that would soon be a nation, Nnamdi Azikiwe gave a speech before the caucus of his political party, the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) in Yaba, Nigeria on May 12, 1953.  That speech, while not disallowing secession, suggested that there would be grave consequences if the Northern region became an independent nation.  Ironically, fourteen years later, Azikiwe led his Eastern Region out of Nigeria and created Biafra, a move that prompted a bloody three year civil war.  Azikiwe’s 1953 speech appears below.

I have invited you to attend this caucus because I would like you to make clear our stand on the issue of secession. As a party, we would have preferred Nigeria to remain intact, but lest there be doubt as to our willingness to concede to any shade of political opinion the right to determine its policy, I am obliged to issue a solemn warning to those who are goading the North towards secession. If you agree with my views, then I hope that in course of our deliberations tonight, you will endorse them, to enable me to publicize them in the Press.

In my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

As one who was born in the North, I have a deep spiritual attachment to that part of the country, but it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South. The latter is in a better position to make rapid constitutional advance, so that if the North should become truncated from the South, it would benefit both Southerners and Northerners who are domiciled in the South more than their kith and kin who are domiciled in the North.

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North.

The North may be rich in mineral resources and certain cash crops, but that is no guarantee that it would be capable of growing sufficient food crops to enable it to feed its teeming millions, unlike the East and the West. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living. Lastly, it will endanger the relations with their neighbours of millions of Northerners who are domiciled in the East and West and Easterners and Westerners who reside in the North.

You may ask me whether there would be a prospect of civil war, if the North decided to secede? My answer would be that it is a hypothetical question which only time can answer. In any case, the plausible cause of a civil war might be a dispute as to the right of passage on the River Niger, or the right of flight over the territory of the Eastern or Western Region; but such disputes can be settled diplomatically, instead of by force.

Nevertheless, if civil war should become inevitable at this stage of our progress as a nation, then security considerations must be borne in mind by those who are charged with the responsibility of government of the North and the South. Military forces and installations are fairly distributed in all the three regions; if that is not the case, any of the regions can obtain military aid from certain interested Powers. It means that we cannot preclude the possibility of alliance with certain countries.

You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.

Let me take this opportunity to warn those who are making a mountain out of the molehill of the constitutional crisis to be more restrained and constructive. The dissemination of lies abroad; the publishing of flamboyant headlines about secessionist plans, and the goading of empty-headed careerists with gaseous ideas about their own importance in tile scheme of things in the North is being overdone in certain quarters. I feel that these quarters must be held responsible for any breach between the North and South, which nature had indissolubly united in a political, social and economic marriage of convenience. In my personal opinion, there is no sense in the North breaking away or the East or the West breaking away; it would be better if all the regions would address themselves to the task of crystallizing common nationality, irrespective of the extraneous influences at work. What history has joined together let no man put asunder. But history is a strange mistress which can cause strange things to happen!

CONTRIBUTED BY: BLACKPAST

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 6:27pm On Jun 07, 2021
This is 2021

3 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by OneCorner: 6:31pm On Jun 07, 2021
Igbos can’t eat their cake and have it
When Nigeria was sweeting them, they fought tooth and nail to keep the country as one thinking they will forever be in the top realms of the country’s operations
They even killed adaka boro, their supposed brother in the Niger delta
Now they have been sidelined, they now want to run away grin grin grin
Sense will not kill these people grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Mokason288(m): 6:39pm On Jun 07, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by theophilusj31(m): 6:56pm On Jun 07, 2021
If only he saw the future
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Golan007: 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2021
grin

No be Igbo again?

2 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by donbachi(m): 7:08pm On Jun 07, 2021
Payback.

1 Like

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by T9ksy(m): 7:12pm On Jun 07, 2021
OneCorner:
When Nigeria was sweeting them, they fought tooth and nail to keep the country as one thinking they will forever be in the top realms of the country’s operations

@ bolded, above..................abi o!!! They (ibos) were chanting the discordant tune of "One psuedo-united nigeria" like inebriated newts. where is their dubious Pan-Africanism, now?

Their inherent mischievousness, which they erroneously believe is "smartness" will eventually be their great undoing.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Uchek(m): 7:15pm On Jun 07, 2021
Stop posting trash. Adaka Boro was not killed by IGBO.

OneCorner:
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Igboid: 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2021
OP.
Can you highlight the part where Zik pointed gun at the heads of Awolowo and Balewa to accept his idea of "no secession clause".

I'm waiting. grin

8 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Rugaria: 7:21pm On Jun 07, 2021
Thread by and for Tinubu Internet Urchins!
Move over..

4 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by mightyhaze: 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2021
OneCorner:
Adaka boro was killed by those he fought for during the war. Go read history books

1 Like

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Tinubuadvocate: 8:04pm On Jun 07, 2021
History can't be forgotten just like you keep remembering those lost their lives during civil war.
AGNESikpuNNU:
This is 2021

3 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Goke7: 8:12pm On Jun 07, 2021
they will keep away from this thread, awon cowards

1 Like

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by T9ksy(m): 8:13pm On Jun 07, 2021
Igboid:
OP.
Can you highlight the part where Zik pointed gun at the heads of Awolowo and Balewa to accept his idea of "no secession clause".

I'm waiting. grin

Oga, be real!!! Zik didn't have to point a gun at anybody's head to have his greedy and covetous way. All he had to do and which he did, was to concede the Prime ministerial post to the sardunna of sokoto and viola!, majority wins (2 against 1).

I do believe, at that point, Awo should have taken western region out of this fake and unfeasible union.

All the developments Awo accomplished before 1960 were reversed and deliberately destroyed by the various northern govts that ensued with significant support from their ibo sidekicks.

2 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by dele1727: 9:10pm On Jun 07, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin

Note that Even during the war Yoruba was the betrayal....

Yet ojukwu was the one who killed Victor banjo(yoruba) who was fighting on the Biafra side on Trump up charges..

He also killed ifeanyiajuwa...an igbo.....

After losing he fled leaving philip effiong (a calabar man)

Yet others are always the problem

3 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Igboid: 11:11pm On Jun 07, 2021
T9ksy:

Oga, be real!!! Zik didn't have to point a gun at anybody's head to have his greedy and covetous way. All he had to do and which he did, was to concede the Prime ministerial post to the sardunna of sokoto and viola!, majority wins (2 against 1).

I do believe, at that point, Awo should have taken western region out of this fake and unfeasible union.

All the developments Awo accomplished before 1960 were reversed and deliberately destroyed by the various northern govts that ensued with significant support from their ibo sidekicks.

So in summary, we both agree that Zik never forced anyone to accept the secession clause at gun point.
He merely used a strong argument to win them over and then made sacrifices to bring them to his side.

Through out this process, Awo had the option to reject Zik argument didn't he? Balewa had the same option, didn't he?
So why did both accept Zik argument?
Maybe because they were convinced by it right?

If you didn't want something but someone convinced you to do it, and you did. Can you rationally claim that the person who convinced you to do the action was responsible for your actions and not yourself?

3 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Igboid: 11:14pm On Jun 07, 2021
dele1727:
grin grin grin grin grin

Note that Even during the war Yoruba was the betrayal....

Yet ojukwu was the one who killed Victor banjo(yoruba) who was fighting on the Biafra side on Trump up charges..

He also killed ifeanyiajuwa...an igbo.....

After losing he fled leaving philip effiong (a calabar man)

Yet others are always the problem

Banjo betrayed the march to Lagos. He stalled the soldiers in Bini City for days , long enough for the Biafran army to lose their element of surprise and for the Nigerian Army to regroup and repel Biafrans at Ore.
He abandoned the original plan and decided to head to Enugu and kill Ojukwu which was discovered and he was rightfully killed alongside Ifeajuna.

4 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by T9ksy(m): 11:26pm On Jun 07, 2021
Igboid:

So in summary, we both agree that Zik never forced anyone to accept the secession clause at gun point.
He merely used a strong argument to win them over and then made sacrifices to bring them to his side.

Through out this process, Awo had the option to reject Zik argument didn't he? Balewa had the same option, didn't he?
So why did both accept Zik argument?
Maybe because they were convinced by it right?

If you didn't want something but someone convinced you to do it, and you did. Can you rationally claim that the person who convinced you to do the action was responsible for your actions and not yourself?

What strong argument could zik have used to convince someone in the like of Ahmoudu Bello, who has, right from the

beginning laid out his cards openly to the rest of us that, if we want Nigeria, he must be the Man In Charge or else he will take his people out

of this amalgam of incongruous nations?

4 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Christistruth00: 11:26pm On Jun 07, 2021
mightyhaze:
Adaka boro was killed by those he fought for during the war. Go read history books

LIAR !!!!

adaka boro was killed by a Biafran Soldier at Okrika

Truth is Light

Gen Alabi isama was the one who saved the Life of the Biafran soldier that killed boro after he was Captured

Many Federal soldier's were ready to Finish him off immediately despite him being a Prisoner of War

Alabi isama had to send the Biafran soldier who killed adaka boro to be detained in Lagos for his own safety
He would not have Survived detention by the Federal 3MCDO troops in the East

4 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Igboid: 11:28pm On Jun 07, 2021
T9ksy:

What strong argument could zik have used to convince someone in the like of Ahmoudu Bello, who has, right from the

beginning laid out his cards openly to the rest of us that, if we want Nigeria, he must be the Man In Charge or else he will take his people out

of this amalgam of incongruous nations?

So Zik never forced anyone to agree to secession clause nah.
If Awolowo didn't agree, why didn't he pull Yoruba out of the country like Balewa already wanted?
You know why he couldn't pull Yorubas off? Did Zik have gun on his head?

2 Likes

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by globalresource: 11:30pm On Jun 07, 2021
Chai...if only this man knew what was to come then...
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by theTranslator: 11:38pm On Jun 07, 2021
Now they should shout marginalisation and Biafra

Is God not great??
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Igboid: 12:09am On Jun 08, 2021
[quote author=Christistruth00 post=102488169]

Adaka Boro died in an ambush on July 8 or 9 of 1968 at an area that no Biafrans existed. His men, with whom "the liberation of the Riverine areas and Port Harcourt" was made possible, suspected that the ambush was set up by Nigerian officers who had become uncomfortable with his boldness and popularity within the war vicinity wherein he operated. In addition, before he joined Nigeria against Biafra he was promised some sort of a quasi autonomy for his Niger Delta Republic (which he had declared while Ironsi was HoS) upon the liberation of the areas from Biafra. Since Nigeria had no intention of honoring that promise, the most convenient way of reneging on it was to get rid of him in the war front -- a similar method was applied in eliminating Saro-Wiwa almost two decades after Boro's death. In Wiwa's case, he was convicted of murder to make his elimination legitimate.

Ijo people believe that Benjamin Adekunle orchestrated the cold-blooded murder of Boro, so no amount of historical revisionism you conjure up can wipe that out of their beliefs. Here is an example of Ijo's belief over Boro's death:

"My cousin Jones, a Regimental Sergeant Major during the Nigerian civil war told me over and over again that Major Boro did not die in the heat of battle with the Biafran forces. He said the area had already been captured and secured by his company and Major Boro was on an inspection tour when they came under fire. My cousin swore by the Ijaw gods that it was an ambush by one of Brigadier Adekunle’s units under the scorpion’s direct command. It was a brief but fierce battle, according to him and confirmed personally to me by another Ijaw field Lieutenant (he too died in combat six months later). The type of gunfire that erupted during that particular firefight was completely different from what the Biafrans were known to use in that sector of the war and which to them confirmed that it was one of the federal troops units that carried out the ambush. My cousin who died two years ago was one of the field officers who fought back the ambushing unit to retrieve the body of Major Boro. He was also one of the men who was assigned to accompany the body out of the war zone under the company of the Ijaw field Lieutenant. It was no secret at that time that Brigadier Adekunle was wary of Major Boro’s popularity and successes in the campaign. Boro’s direct access to Army HQ, plus the fact that Boro was commissioned directly and personally by Gowon made him a target of envy by other non-Ijaw senior officers".

(Akpobulokemi B. Oborokumo, Wednesday May 21, 2003
http://www.unitedijaw.com/tribute_boro.htm)

1 Like

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by blanquito(m): 12:46am On Jun 08, 2021
The problem is our evil politicians,in all the regions,they don't care about the masses in their different secession plans,all they care about is their own selfish interests and gains,in all this crisis,unrest and wars,how many of the evil politicians children,wives have been killed,? they send there kids overseas and use the masses as bait for there own selfish gains,our problem is not secession,but the greediness of a black man.If the country eventually breaks up today,it still won't get better.As small as Bayelsa, it cannot manage its resources, that is not the fault of the federal government, what are the uses of councillors, house of reps members of each district, local governments chairman,traditional rulers,state house of assembly members,they are all there for thier selfish interest.Its so sad the way and manner we think as a black nation..
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:20am On Jun 08, 2021
OneCorner:
They even killed Ken Saro Wiwa but today you’ll hear them place their blame on Hausa.
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Christistruth00: 8:18am On Jun 08, 2021
[quote author=Igboid post=102488963][/quote]

Gen Alabi Isama was 15 minutes walk away from Adaka Boro when he died and had just finished speaking with him

Adaka Boro was killed by a Biafran Soldier at Okrika

Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Igboid: 9:07am On Jun 08, 2021
Christistruth00:

Gen Alabi Isama was 15 minutes walk away from Adaka Boro when he died and had just finished speaking with him

Adaka Boro was killed by a Biafran Soldier at Okrika

Adaka Boro died in an ambush on July 8 or 9 of 1968 at an area that no Biafrans existed. His men, with whom "the liberation of the Riverine areas and Port Harcourt" was made possible, suspected that the ambush was set up by Nigerian officers who had become uncomfortable with his boldness and popularity within the war vicinity wherein he operated. In addition, before he joined Nigeria against Biafra he was promised some sort of a quasi autonomy for his Niger Delta Republic (which he had declared while Ironsi was HoS) upon the liberation of the areas from Biafra. Since Nigeria had no intention of honoring that promise, the most convenient way of reneging on it was to get rid of him in the war front -- a similar method was applied in eliminating Saro-Wiwa almost two decades after Boro's death. In Wiwa's case, he was convicted of murder to make his elimination legitimate.

Ijo people believe that Benjamin Adekunle orchestrated the cold-blooded murder of Boro, so no amount of historical revisionism you conjure up can wipe that out of their beliefs. Here is an example of Ijo's belief over Boro's death:

"My cousin Jones, a Regimental Sergeant Major during the Nigerian civil war told me over and over again that Major Boro did not die in the heat of battle with the Biafran forces. He said the area had already been captured and secured by his company and Major Boro was on an inspection tour when they came under fire. My cousin swore by the Ijaw gods that it was an ambush by one of Brigadier Adekunle’s units under the scorpion’s direct command. It was a brief but fierce battle, according to him and confirmed personally to me by another Ijaw field Lieutenant (he too died in combat six months later). The type of gunfire that erupted during that particular firefight was completely different from what the Biafrans were known to use in that sector of the war and which to them confirmed that it was one of the federal troops units that carried out the ambush. My cousin who died two years ago was one of the field officers who fought back the ambushing unit to retrieve the body of Major Boro. He was also one of the men who was assigned to accompany the body out of the war zone under the company of the Ijaw field Lieutenant. It was no secret at that time that Brigadier Adekunle was wary of Major Boro’s popularity and successes in the campaign. Boro’s direct access to Army HQ, plus the fact that Boro was commissioned directly and personally by Gowon made him a target of envy by other non-Ijaw senior officers".

(Akpobulokemi B. Oborokumo, Wednesday May 21, 2003
http://www.unitedijaw.com/tribute_boro.htm)
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by Christistruth00: 1:18pm On Jun 08, 2021
Igboid:

Adaka Boro died in an ambush on July 8 or 9 of 1968 at an area that no Biafrans existed. His men, with whom "the liberation of the Riverine areas and Port Harcourt" was made possible, suspected that the ambush was set up by Nigerian officers

Adaka Boro died on the 18th of May 1968 during the liberation of Port Harcourt

Port Harcourt was finally Liberated on May 24

Your information is very Wrong
Re: 1953 : How Azikiwe Stopped The Planned Fulani Secession From Nigeria. by ablejesus26(m): 1:27pm On Jun 08, 2021
I am still wondering how anyone who understands that all the great Zic of Africa did was give his intelligently scrutinized opinion and debate on the Issue, would call this stopping anything.
He made it clear that the northerners can choose to leave if they want to, but called on them to reason and weight their options and actions with the reality of the socio-political structure then.
His opinion was perceived just.
He was not in charge of solely creating anything or policy.
The Great Zik of Africa never stopped the North from seceding.
Btw it's unintelligent to keep living in the happenings of the THEN.
Let's focus on the now.
The big bang question is.How is Nigeria faring as one entity currently.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: They Thought Buhari Is Weak Like Goodluck" Says Garba Shehu / Statistics Show More Women From Northern Nigeria Own Houses (photos) / E Don Happen: UK Recognizes IPOB As A Terrorist Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.