Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,011 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad (21729 Views)

What Are The Disadavantages Of Studying Medicine At Age 29 / Need Your Advice: Start Afresh in HR Or Continue with Career in Finance / Can I Combine Studying Medicine, Surgery And Work At The Same Time ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Gr8fulHeart(f): 7:13pm On Jun 22, 2021
That consultant is economical with the truth. Come and see consultants migrating and going abroad to start residency afresh abroad. Make hay while the sun shines.
matt97367:

Thank you very much for your answer sir

The cost is pretty much settled and by the grace of God that wont be an issue
The only thing hindering me is the fact that I'll have to waste the 3 years spent here
So I want to be sure its was worth it
I met a consultant here in my school that advised me against it, telling me doctors are better paid and treated here in nigeria than the countries people go to.

But from your answer you say it's easier for medical doctors that studied abroad to secure jobs abroad
So it's significantly harder for doctors that studied in Nigeria to secure jobs abroad?

�thank you very much for your response
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by iHart(m): 7:21pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
Dear doctors in the house, I'm a third year medical student in a nigerian university, I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.
My major reason for accepting the offer is the fact that I'm scared that I wont be able to practice (or it would be very difficult) to practice in the country of my choice, because I heard nigerian certificates arent held with high regards compared to others from European countries
I just want to know if it's possible to practice somewhere else after completing my studies here with a nigerian degree
I hope you will read my own suggestion. Yes, everyone is telling you to leave but I have a contrary opinion. Don't leave yet. Complete your study here, and then seek for postgraduate study abroad. Then after you begin to seek for residency abroad. Whoever told you that Nigerian certificate is not recognized is not telling you the truth.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by juman(m): 7:22pm On Jun 22, 2021
CanadianNaija:

� Hired ko! They hired them from Nigeria straight without them writing and passing the licensing exam to practice there abi?

You think its your mushroom country?

Passing the licensing exam before practicing is normal.
Also doctors from east europe will have to pass the licensing exam to practice.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by fidelisodogbo: 7:24pm On Jun 22, 2021
You mentioned Eastern Europe, where exactly? I've been around Eastern Europe, it's tough there. I'll advise you to finish up your studies in Nigeria. Medical doctors will have to do qualifying exams in any country to be able to practice there. That's the standard. Starting again in a country you don't understand its challenging. I've seen too many Nigerians lost their dreams abroad because they're not well prepared. No university degree to begin somewhere. They regret it and end up frustrated. Even musicians and sports men and women from Nigeria who thought travelling abroad will make their dream bigger regretted their decisions. So if you're in school already, finish up first then think about travelling abroad. Education is priceless anywhere in the world.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 22, 2021
murphyibiam15:

I know, but he did not mention specifically and the odds are very high its either Russia or Ukraine. Why do you think he wasn't forthcoming with the country?

My thought, exactly. He/she should have mentioned the country’s name so that people can advise him/her properly. You don’t hide things from people who would help you.
If the country he/she is saying is Poland,Czech Republic, Austria, the Baltic States, it may be ok for him/her to go because, many at times, people mix Central Europe up with Eastern Europe. It's good he/she mentions the exact country’s name.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 22, 2021
DrOBD:
Medical Education in Nigeria is better than Eastern Europe. Most doctors who trained in Eastern Europe don't practice there. They still end up writing PLAB, ECFMG and other exams in order to practice in a more civilized country.

Complete your education in Nigeria and move to UK, USA, Canada or Australia when you are done.

Hope you know u quoted someone else and not the guy? Please quote the OP and furnish him with this useful information.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by seyz91(m): 7:26pm On Jun 22, 2021
cheesy
Danielomisco:
Oga Japa!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by seyz91(m): 7:26pm On Jun 22, 2021
Confirm!
viyon02:
To be frank with you, better escape to Europe and start all over again, your certificate will be highly valued at any part of the world.
cheesy
ford101:
The only thing that comes to my mind is japa japa!!
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by xandy84: 7:27pm On Jun 22, 2021
Your consultant might be right to some degree. I will advice you to travel if you are going to a country you plan to stay and practice the medicine you study at such country. Thinking you will study medicine in Kazakhstan or Albania and plan to practice in US or Canada does not fly any longer. Lots of Russian Dr. drives cabs in Chicago.

matt97367:

The only thing hindering me is the fact that I'll have to waste the 3 years spent here
I met a consultant here in my school that advised me against it, telling me doctors are better paid and treated here in nigeria than the countries people go to.

But from your answer you say it's easier for medical doctors that studied abroad to secure jobs abroad
So it's significantly harder for doctors that studied in Nigeria to secure jobs abroad?

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Ekwuemechidubem: 7:32pm On Jun 22, 2021
Run oooh
Rrrrruuuunnnn my son
Run

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Simplythebest: 7:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
I think Europe is the best in the sense that the 3 years u feel u wasted here is another advantage for u. Ur course of 6 years here in Nigeria university can take u 10 years to finish with the ASUU strike onless is a private university. But to be honest if am in ur shoe i will choose Europe and start all over again cus of the opportunity in future. With ur Europe certificate u are recognized all over the world but u can't say so for Nigerian certificate.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by frog12: 8:02pm On Jun 22, 2021
i think you can't transfer all your courses !!

you will start allover
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by linearity: 8:03pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Unless, you are in a Private University in Nigeria....with the constant ASUU strikes, isn’t it too premature to assume that, you may be losing ‘3 years’, since no one knows how many more years is left.

But in Europe, things will be more predictable.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Brown2012: 8:07pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:
Dear doctors in the house, I'm a third year medical student in a nigerian university, I got an offer to study medicine in eastern Europe, will it be wise to accept to offer and start over again or should I complete my studies here.
My major reason for accepting the offer is the fact that I'm scared that I wont be able to practice (or it would be very difficult) to practice in the country of my choice, because I heard nigerian certificates arent held with high regards compared to others from European countries
I just want to know if it's possible to practice somewhere else after completing my studies here with a nigerian degree
Write your 2nd MBBS first then we will know if you are in medicine for now you are not yet in medicine take the offer and japa for your own good
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by EMIOMOADEOYE: 8:08pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Well.....its easier to secure a job here than in Europe. If you were going to Canada or the US, that's a different story altogether.

In Europe, especially Eastern Europe, I'm not quite sure what your prospects are. I cant say you will fare better than in Nigeria. I don't know. But I do know that Eastern Europe is only a little different from home.

I will be frank with you. Finish up in Nigeria. Your best prospect is in Canada or US. Eastern Europe is uncertain. It is a communist dominated region. I dont think you want to pitch your tent there.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Lovelyperson(m): 8:27pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

The first thing that comes to mind immediately I see this topic is to japa... Forget the level you are now.. Japa and start over. You already have 3yrs study experience it will help u to start well in Europe. Don't think twice. Just japa

2 Likes

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by YesBoss1(m): 8:34pm On Jun 22, 2021
I'm a Nigerian doctor and I studied here in Nigeria. My advise for you is to japa fast, if after med school you have the opportunity to practice abroad, do that as well.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by MemoriesAndMe: 8:55pm On Jun 22, 2021
I think your best bet is to leave right now since you're just in your third year.
It doesnt really mean starting afresh entirely as some of your credits from Nigeria can be transferred to many schools overseas, so just see it as a continuation phase for you.

If you decide to stay, no one has any idea how many more years the constant strikes in Nigeria will make you waste in school and you may end up regretting this moment when you had the choice.

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Zetty177x: 9:01pm On Jun 22, 2021
Start afresh. Here is shit hole forever

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Jhydeezle: 9:13pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Japa,start afresh and top your class make e shock all of em ...I can't guarantee anything in thisshithole
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by lereinter(m): 9:15pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Waste ke

My friend elder brother was in 400l biochemistry at lautech then he got admission to study medicine in Poland

He's now a medical doctor in Ireland

If money isn't the issue so why thinking twice

And if you wish to practice in nigeria after your studies no issue

If you don't have travel phobia, then go use the same energy you take study reach 300l for nigeria go study for Europe

It will even be easier since you got experience

1 Like

Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Kaiser20: 9:21pm On Jun 22, 2021
OP which country in Eastern Europe be specific. You day fear to name the country.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by preselect(m): 9:23pm On Jun 22, 2021
i see japa japa japa everywhere.
is this a new word in Nigeria?
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by academySteps(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2021
preselect:
i see japa japa japa everywhere.
is this a new word in Nigeria?

Lol if you see chance too my brother japa!!!!
Asin sa loo
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Quaddafi29: 9:37pm On Jun 22, 2021
If you can do all your toilet visits abroad, do so, Nigeria is not even the right place to have a child.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by kpezi: 10:12pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

No difference. practicing as a medical doctor abroad is not easy too as a black. You might end up being a bar man. Mind you if the school you want to study in is not recognized by NMA, if your decide to come back to Nigeria, you will not be able to practice. so think very well. Don't be too much in a hurry. finish your studies here and go for specialization abroad. Ask any good doctor.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Blacksavage: 10:19pm On Jun 22, 2021
matt97367:

Alaye mi japaaa! wink
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by eaglechild: 11:31pm On Jun 22, 2021
jansonn:
Bro!! I'm also a medical student with few friends studying in Europe. It's a two way thing sha, it largely depends on the country you're going to study, whether you'd get a license to practise after you're done or not. Like Ukraine, you can't practise because of language barriers and others so you'd have to return to your country and trust me, mdcn exam no too easy to pass so .. studying in Nigeria has its advantages too, you go know "stuff" seriously. They may say naija na scam and all oo but naija medical school is a field that prepares you to practise medicine anywhere in the world. I'm in clinicals so I can say so for sure. Please, do just run to any mushroom country in Europe to study medicine oo, your best bet might be to come back to Nigeria after you're done so... If I'm to advice as a senior colleague, just finish this MBBS here, you're almost done. The only issue that lies before you now is path and pharm, after that you're already a doctor so... After you finish, you can confidently seat for any licensing exam and be sure you'd do well. But then, if you don't intend to practise medicine, you're just looking for survival then I'd suggest you japa sharply. I just hope I passed my message well. Good luck bro
Finally someone with first hand experience is talking.

Best advice.

Eastern and Western Europe are different.

A Nigerian medical certificate is still valued and licensing exams will be easier for him to pass.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by Kayberg: 12:32am On Jun 23, 2021
matt97367:

My friend, you'd find a job there with your Nigerian certs.
You can even work online and earn well.
DM me for details.
Sincere about this.
Re: Should I Continue Studying Medicine In Nigeria Or Should I Start Afresh Abroad by aaidel(m): 12:43am On Jun 23, 2021
Before you think of going abroad please consider if the degree you will get is accredited and recognized if its not better to stay back in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Certification Is Top-notch? Microsoft Or Cisco / Arik Air Sacks 300 Workers / A Company Director At 29, How Adetola Durojaiye Rose To The Top In Five Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.