Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,001 members, 7,835,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries (1634 Views)

FG Develops Rapid Response Register For Poor Nigerians / COVID-19: Ahmad Lawan Urges Buhari To Provide Relief For Poor Nigerians / Meet The Poor People Paid N5000 Every Month By Nigerian Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 17, 2021
The internet is not free and it is not for poor people living in poor countries, even using nairaland is not free, you pay lot of cash to use nairaland by subscribing to expensive internet data. If your data finishes, nairaland services is over for you.

How about if you have Netflix and showmax on your phone or other paying apps, then you pay double cost for using these apps, not only are you paying for these app subcriptions per year, you are also paying for data to use these apps, if your data finishes, you will not be able to access those apps you paid for.

Even the free apps like twitter aren't free, your data subscription is what you need to pay so that you can use those free apps and make money for the owners.

All these hidden costs are reasons why internet penetration is low in poor countries, infact, even setting up the infrastructures are expensive talkless of usage, until when standards of living are improved before people living in poor countries will be able to enjoy the full benefits of using the internet.

For smart people, you have to make money off the internet to cover your internet cost that is one of the ways to stay on the internet permanently.

Note: When people say the internet is your human right, i laugh, how can you be paying to use your " human right"

1 Like

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Coldshisha: 6:01pm On Jun 17, 2021
cool

Difference between poor countries and Rich countries

Poor countries spend on frivolity that isn't benefitial or financially meaningful to their tax payers

Rich countries spend heavily and even borrow on a long term bases to support their citizens with what can develop them

UAE Etisalat gives unlimited broadband internet from 200 AED

Foolish Nigerian Telecoms sell data 1000 naira per Gb

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:02pm On Jun 17, 2021
This guy sha. You will just start advertising your ignorance spectacularly after downing a bowl of tuwo and kukah soup.
So in your wild imagination, Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg send a bill to MTN, Glo and Etisalat at the end of every month for the number of users from their network abi?

Seun coman hear something. This guy said you're sharing data money with network providers and ISPs.

Though it might be an idea worth trying o

6 Likes

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by nsiba: 6:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
The internet is not free and it is not for poor people living in poor countries, even using nairaland is not free, you pay lot of cash to use nairaland by subscribing to expensive internet data. If your data finishes, nairaland services is over for you.

How about if you have Netflix and showmax on your phone or other paying apps, then you pay double cost for using these apps, not only are you paying for these app subcriptions per year, you are also paying for data to use these apps, if your data finishes, you will not be able to access those apps you paid for.

Even the free apps like twitter aren't free, your data subscription is what you need to pay so that you can use those free apps and make money for the owners.

All these hidden costs are reasons why the internet penetration is low in poor countries, infact, even setting up the infrastructures are expensive talkless of usage, until when standards of living are improved before people living in poor countries will be able to enjoy the full benefits of using the internet.

For smart people, you have to make money off the internet to cover your internet cost that is the one of the ways of stay on the internet permanently.

Note: When people say the internet is your human right, i laugh, how can you be paying to use your " human right"

This is a typical example of how cow reason just to justify their wack mentality
If you don't know what to post stop posting nonsense that LIE Mohammed sent you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Ifearnoevil: 6:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
They have sent this one.
Please what are your handlers planning this time around, ban internet or make it unaffordable?
I remember one Nigeria minister saying some years ago that the telephone is not for poor people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 17, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:
This guy sha. You will just start advertising your ignorance spectacularly after downing a bowl of tuwo and kukah soup.
So in your wild imagination, Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg send a bill to MTN, Glo and Etisalat at the end of every month for the number of users from their network abi?

Seun coman hear something. This guy said you're sharing data money with network providers and ISPs.

I have never seen someone as daft as you are.

All these stuff you wrote down, where was it written in my writeup.

2 Likes

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Coldshisha: 6:06pm On Jun 17, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

He said make money for the owners of the site... He never said they pay money to sites owner

Monetizing a site through ads paid services, premium services

2 Likes

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Asgard73: 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2021
Apc
No fit think better thing for citizens

Oga wetin Be una next plan again

3 Likes

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2021
Ifearnoevil:
They have sent this one.
Please what are your handlers planning this time around, ban internet or make it unaffordable?
I remember one Nigeria minister saying some years ago that the telephone is not for poor people.

Was telephone for poor people.

How many people could afford nitel subcription.

Even till today, buying a smartphone or even calling on the smartphone isn't for poor people.

Using the internet also isn't also for poor people

2 Likes

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by RisenJoe(m): 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2021
Read to the end...

Once upon a time

There lived an old fool in a particular village which was known for their extraordinary foolishness

The villagers sensing that it's too much for such number of fools to dwell in such a location over a long decided to go and explore other lands,...

So the old fool left his abode and went in search of greener pastures...

And he stumbled upon another village known for its astronomical level of foolishness... But guess what!!!

The fool won the title of the most foolish man in the new village.

1 Like

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2021
Coldshisha:

He said make money for the owners of the site... He never said they pay money to sites owner

Thanks for explaining to that person
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Coldshisha: 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Was telephone for poor people.

How many people could afford nitel subcription.

Even till today, buying a smartphone or even calling on the smartphone isn't for poor people.

Using the internet also isn't also for poor people

Telephone was actually for the poor in other countries unlike Nigeria
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2021
nsiba:

This is a typical example of how cow reason just to justify their wack mentality
If you don't know what to post stop posting nonsense that LIE Mohammed sent you

If cow reason is like that then it means a cow is more intelligent than you.
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 17, 2021
Coldshisha:

Telephone was actually for the poor in other countries unlike Nigeria

In Nigeria and in many poor countries, it is for the rich.

If you have watched old black and white american movies, the ones made in 1912, only the rich could afford a telephone or a ford car. But as standard of living improved, the average joe started having access to those luxury
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Monogamy: 6:14pm On Jun 17, 2021
Funnily, na the poor people dey spend much money on data and airtime..
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jun 17, 2021
Monogamy:
Funnily, na the poor people dey spend much money on data..

I dont think so, the rich spend more on data than poor people.
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:16pm On Jun 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I have never seen someone as daft as you are.

All these stuff you wrote down, where was it written in my writeup.

I have to take that as a compliment coming from you.

Most especially as I have to start explaining what you wrote to you.

I've never been so flattered on NL
I promise you a bottle of fresh fura
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Whois(m): 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2021
Ok op BIS sub was 5k minimum yet those of us that knew it value paid for it, how much should we pay next because I don't get the point of this thread

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

I have to take that as a compliment coming from you.

Most especially as I have to start explaining what you wrote to you.

I've never been so flattered on NL
I promise you a bottle of fresh fura

Ignorance is a disease
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2021
Coldshisha:
cool

Difference between poor countries and Rich countries

Poor countries spend on frivolity that isn't benefitial or financially meaningful to their tax payers

Rich countries spend heavily and even borrow on a long term bases to support their citizens with what can develop them

UAE Etisalat gives unlimited broadband internet from 200 AED

Foolish Nigerian Telecoms sell data 1000 naira per Gb

Does UAE Etisalat buy generators and diesel every month to run their sites?
If UAE Etisalat and 9mobile both buy equipments from Huawei, comparing the value of Dirham and Naira, who has to make more money in their local currency to purchase those equipments in dollars?
Considering the population of UAE and Nigeria, which of the two companies needs more of those equipments?
You should consider it a miracle you can get 1GB for N1000
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Monogamy: 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

I dont think so, the rich spend more on data than poor people.

I also don't think so.. Cos the way I have been seeing ordinary people streaming things online makes me wonder if data has been so that cheap.. Rich people know what they use their data for.
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Guestlander: 6:25pm On Jun 17, 2021
Ignorance.
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Ignorance is a disease
Accept my pity

I pray you survive it
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Coldshisha: 6:28pm On Jun 17, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Does UAE Etisalat buy generators and diesel every month to run their sites?
If UAE Etisalat and 9mobile both buy equipments from Huawei, comparing the value of Dirham and Naira, who has to make more money in their local currency to purchase those equipments in dollars?
Considering the population of UAE and Nigeria, which of the two companies needs more of those equipments?
You should consider it a miracle you can get 1GB for N1000

Lol

Most buildings in UAE and companies run on Generators, Diesels gas etc... Shocker right?!

Value of currency to Dollars is an effort you put into your economy not magic

So Nigerian telcos are siphoning huge profit while Islamic UAE telcos are making modest returns and very happy
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2021
Coldshisha:

I hope you grab
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:34pm On Jun 17, 2021
Coldshisha:

Lol

Most buildings in UAE and companies run on Generators, Diesels gas etc... Shocker right?!

Value of currency to Dollars is an effort you put into your economy not magic

So Nigerian telcos are siphoning huge profit while Islamic UAE telcos are making modest returns and very happy

Wow. I didn't know UAE runs a generator economy like us. I didn't know they achieved over 2000Twh with diesel and petrol generators. Thanx for the joke funny guy.

So you blame telcos for not putting enough efforts into the economy and make $1=N1?
Who made that promise one time?

Yeah UAE telcos are so happy with modest returns Etisalat jakpa from Nigeria. Tell me another one pls
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Coldshisha: 6:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Wow. I didn't know UAE runs a generator economy like us. I didn't know they achieved over 2000Twh with diesel and petrol generators. Thanx for the joke funny guy.

So you blame telcos for not putting enough efforts into the economy and make $1=N1?
Who made that promise one time?

Yeah UAE telcos are so happy with modest returns Etisalat jakpa from Nigeria. Tell me another one pls

What you know is far less than huge things you don't know bask in your ignorance, till you actually visit UAE
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

I hope you grab

Permit to explain in simple abc.

You need to pay for data to use Twitter, Twitter is free but you need to pay to access it, once your data finishes, you can't access Twitter.

Twitter is free to use but makes money when you subscribe to data.

Your Subcription means traffic and adrevenue for Twitter, it is the same logic with nairaland.
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by KRSWon: 6:42pm On Jun 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

So then what is this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Internet_access

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights
Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by nthony10: 6:42pm On Jun 17, 2021
You should also add light(power) to your list as not being a fundamental right that we have to pay for.

Imagine the level of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 17, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

All these hidden costs are reasons why internet penetration is low in poor countries, infact, even setting up the infrastructures are expensive talkless of usage, until when standards of living are improved before people living in poor countries will be able to enjoy the full benefits of using the internet.

For smart people, you have to make money off the internet to cover your internet cost that is one of the ways to stay on the internet permanently.

Aboki reasoning , lol

2 Likes

Re: The Internet Is Not For Poor People And Poor Countries by Agbegbaorogboye: 6:47pm On Jun 17, 2021
Coldshisha:

What you know is far less than huge things you don't know bask in your ignorance, till you actually visit UAE

Keep quiet. Even if you visit the UAE, which you are not the only one to, you can't visit 10% of the buildings there so making such sweeping statement not based on empirical evidence is a testament to your badge of ignorance which is shining brightly and can blind the eyes presently.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijaw Boy Brags Says He Can Stop Tribes In The SS From Joining Biafra[pics] / s / 'Lokoja Under Yahaya Bello Is 4th Fastest Growing City In The World'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.