Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,680 members, 7,809,574 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance (14516 Views)

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work / NEW Finance, Investment Banking and Stockbroking Jobs / Job Openings At WATER-AID Nigeria. IT And Finance Interns Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by oluwaahmed: 9:12am On Jun 21, 2021
Banking & finance as a course is outdated. Most universities now do Accounting & finance, Economics & finance or just finance. Its better to study linguistics than B&F cos bank will train you to do the banking job.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by tolaade1960: 9:13am On Jun 21, 2021
Banking and Finance is good when you get professional certifications to it. But why not go for Economics which has a wider opportunities after graduation.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by seanwilliam(m): 9:13am On Jun 21, 2021
DenreleDave:
grin grin grin

You will study banking and finance and get to the bank to see that a chemical engineering graduate is attending to you grin grin grin

Seanwilli.am can testify..

lol . whatever course u study , make sure you sabi share percent grin grin
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by 377: 9:13am On Jun 21, 2021
Mr OP
What matters in Nigeria today is connection or Gods favour. With finance and banking degree you can work anywhere provided the company has finance,admin,procurement or any commercial department which no organisation including hospital does not have. If you play your card well you can employ and pay anybody salary including the overated medical doctors and law graduates.
Study hard and ask for favour from God and leave the rest my dear. All the best

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Demsy113: 9:15am On Jun 21, 2021
chinavs9ja:
cry

The above smiley tells alot about your question. Only the wise one will understand tongue

Quick note: Any course you will study in Nigeria, don't depend solely on it to be the base of your success.

I am a professional website developer and designer check my signature.. cool
Can I see ur portfolio
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by alizma: 9:18am On Jun 21, 2021
Ok
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by sonymax16(m): 9:19am On Jun 21, 2021
DenreleDave:
grin grin grin

You will study banking and finance and get to the bank to see that a chemical engineering graduate is attending to you grin grin grin
I dey tell u....one of the most useless course in the university
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by DenreleDave(m): 9:20am On Jun 21, 2021
sonymax16:

I dey tell u....one of the most useless course in the university

Walai na the course I study ooo.. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Rilwayne001: 9:20am On Jun 21, 2021
In university of Ilorin, it's B.Sc finance, not banking and finance. LOL. And I laugh in Swahili when i see ignorant people here talking Bank as if it's only commercial Bank that exists as a Bank. grin

Finance deals more with investment and raising of funds for companies, than solely of banking. Nevertheless banking is a branch of Finance.

In Nigeria, opportunities abounds as a financial analysts. You're a hot cake for investment banking and the finance sectors of corporations, not just banks like the ignorant folks are yapping up there. LOL. Every firm and corporations needs an analysts to analyse their external investments, their own stocks and help them in the process of raising funds.

You should call someone that studied Yoruba or chemical engineering to do all these if your corporation will not crumble. Lmao

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by 377: 9:21am On Jun 21, 2021
tolaade1960:
Banking and Finance is good when you get professional certifications to it. But why not go for Economics which has a wider opportunities after graduation.

My dear forget it. Finance is more marketable in the market today compared to economics. Econs is only good on the classroom because of the way is overated but if you come to the labour market finance has more chances of securing a job than econs.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Rilwayne001: 9:22am On Jun 21, 2021
oluwaahmed:
Banking & finance as a course is outdated. Most universities now do Accounting & finance, Economics & finance or just finance. Its better to study linguistics than B&F cos bank will train you to do the banking job.

Exactly!
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:24am On Jun 21, 2021
Pro; u become slavery worker in the industry.
Con; u may never work in a BANK.. BUT LIVE ON IG with SKITS or become PLUG fr fashion or car sales.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by AK481(m): 9:26am On Jun 21, 2021
Myopic reasoning.

In advance courses like MBA , finance specialization is the hottest cake .

Finance management is one of the bomb courses to study, and investment banker is reserved mostly for people with finance degree .

The tellers you see are not even doing banking , I think the mistake university are doing is still keeping the name “banking “ it should just be finance management department

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Ishiewo: 9:41am On Jun 21, 2021
377:

My dear forget it. Finance is more marketable in the market today compared to economics. Econs is only good on the classroom because of the way is overated but if you come to the labour market finance has more chances of securing a job than econs.
. But in all honesty, I prefer Economics to that Banking and Finance.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by yak(m): 9:43am On Jun 21, 2021
I prefer Economics and Business Administration. I think they're more flexible to adapt to different areas

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by bigjosh88: 9:47am On Jun 21, 2021
No too much wahala,just that you bank your own money... grin
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by ayandee: 9:47am On Jun 21, 2021
You are restricting yourself to banking and insurance and getting a job in the bank is not even certain. Government agencies dont considèr them for recruitement. My collèague who studied it was advised to write ANAN or ICAN for career progression or remain stuck on one grade level. She rushed and did ANAN.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by FineUsername(m): 9:47am On Jun 21, 2021
OP you can use this!
KazikageSama:

This is Nigeria, there are NO useless courses (absolutely none). Just make sure you get the best grades (1st class or 2:1). Choose any course where you can make your best grade.

Someone that studied language and graduated with 1st class stands a better chance of getting a good job at a corporate organization job than someone who studied Accounting and graduated with a 2:2.

Your course is mostly insignificant in Naija (except for specialized professionals like Medicine, law e.t.c.) but your grade is VERY important.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by seuneniola(m): 9:51am On Jun 21, 2021
I studied banking and Finance. Though i am fortunate to work in the financial industry but would admonish you to go for accounting instead of banking and finance. Studying banking and finance is like restricting your prospect to get a good.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Cutehector(m): 9:51am On Jun 21, 2021
cheesy
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by obawinner(m): 9:55am On Jun 21, 2021
juman:
If I could reverse time, I would go and study something like physical education or theater art or history etc.

I would then go for masters and doctorate.
why would you make such decisions?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 21, 2021
After studying, try and sit for the cibn examinations.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by hardbody: 10:04am On Jun 21, 2021
BigBelleControl:
Banking and Finance, just like Business Administration is not a professional course. Studying it does not guarantee you working in a bank unlike courses like Accounting, Law, Medicine or even Engineering. Anybody with any discipline can work in a bank because some trainings would still be done.

However, you can study the course for the knowledge and you might be lucky to get a banking job with it. But it's not a guarantee

Meaningful input. I will only advise rather than Banking and Finance, a more general course that will lead in the same direction is Business Administration. It has aspects of Banking et al as part of the course work.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by hardbody: 10:05am On Jun 21, 2021
seuneniola:
I studied banking and Finance. Though i am fortunate to work in the financial industry but would admonish you to go for accounting instead of banking and finance. Studying banking and finance is like restricting your prospect to get a good.

Very well articulated.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Bahun(m): 10:05am On Jun 21, 2021
grin grin cheesy grin
Lanretoye:
The pros is banking,the cons is finance.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Coldie(m): 10:10am On Jun 21, 2021
Dont waste your time.

Banking and finance became useless the moment they opened it up to everyone whether u studied banking or not.

The funny thing same procedures u need to get a job is same people from all d way from engineering need to get job.

They can't even say if u studied banking u don't need ican or acca, an engineer with ican has more hopes than u
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by 377: 10:12am On Jun 21, 2021
ayandee:
You are restricting yourself to banking and insurance and getting a job in the bank is not even certain. Government agencies dont considèr them for recruitement. My collèague who studied it was advised to write ANAN or ICAN for career progression or remain stuck on one grade level. She rushed and did ANAN.

Even if your accounting graduate you will still do your ICAN or ANAN to get to level 9 so what are you talking about. a graduate of finance with ICAN will be considered first before a graduate of bsc accounting only. To the best of my knowledge i prefer finance to economics as a course.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by juman(m): 10:17am On Jun 21, 2021
obawinner:
why would you make such decisions?

The reason is I would not have disturbed myself on chemistry, physics, looking for "high rated" courses like engineering or medicine etc.

Look, if you have doctorate in any course, you are high rated person.

Even if one decide to stop after first degree it is well and good. One could do other things with his life than repeatedly taking JAMB to get high scores.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by alizma: 10:22am On Jun 21, 2021
Dreadlock69:
Is Banking and finance a lucrative course?

What are the pros and cons while studying in college?

What are the challenges someone will encounter?

First of all, I studied banking and finance and I was among the best in a class of about 300. I have also worked with a bank before, therefore I have practical experience of what it's like being a graduate of banking and finance in Nigeria. Having said these, I am advising you not to study banking and finance, considering the present and foreseeable future of Nigerian banks, a place that should have been the primary work place for graduates of banking and financial.
If you have access to information of all Nigerian bank staffs today, you will be shocked to know that not up to 20 percent of the entire workforce in the banking sector have their background in banking. The entry level is so relaxed that it favours non graduates of banking and finance than graduate of banking and finance. This people are employed into the banking system at the entry level with no knowledge or little knowledge(from borrowed courses) in banking, as they grow in the industry, they enrolled in banking and finance courses. In fact, accounting, marketing and Business management graduates are more favoured in banking industry employment exercise than those coming purely from the banking department of the higher institutions.
Now here is the worst of it all, once you are unable to secure a job in a bank as a graduate of banking and finance, it becomes difficult to secure one elsewhere. Mind you, we are looking at a scenario where you don't have Abraham as father in any company. Just create a mental picture of you standing before a team of interviewers from Unilever plc, Air peace, Dangote group, PZ, Chi limited, Nigeria breweries etc. and you say you study banking and finance. The first few things that will come into their minds are, is he going to market our products, is he going to help build our business or is he going to manager it? The answer is no, then they will think, ohh he can be helpful in the accounting department yes but that means the best you can be is second in command or even third but the best to be hired is the one that can dream to become the first in command in his department without any hindrance.
If you are lucky to be employed in the banking sector, you will have to pray to get into a reasonable position where you can earn enough to have reserve to take care of your future because if you are unfortunately to have your job terminated half way, life may be difficult for you because in all your years within the banking hall, your knowledge is restricted to cash especially if you are in the operation unit. It may be difficult for you to start any business because you do not have such idea unlike when you work in an open business environment that enabled you to occasionally see, borrow or learn what some people are doing in their business which may later become beneficial to you in the future.

However you can be employed into the pension firms, insurance etc but these forms still have a long way to go in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Archtype(m): 10:33am On Jun 21, 2021
Rubbish course
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance by Ademola121(m): 10:36am On Jun 21, 2021
Pro is you will be able to manage your own finances. Con are you may not find a big company to work for, for a long time and that means you may have little cash to manage for yourself.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Federal Road Safety Commission (frsc) Vacancies / 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria / Citi Bank Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.