Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria (5771 Views)

Biafra was an unqualified evil in minority lands. / Biafra Was An Unqualified Evil In Minority Lands. / Peter Obi Presently Trending In Cameroon And Ghana Because Of This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by Shokoloko(f): 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2021
MajorLeaguePlay:

Again stfu and answer my questions, I don't care about your screenshots. Its like you guys never employ commonsense. A slave, whose first language is not English, whose memory is blurred and distorted by time and trauma + a slave master who is doing his best to make sense of what his African slave is telling him.....

Look at the nonsense you used to back up your silly assertion: Judaism. roflmao when did you guys start calling yourselves Jews?

Again: what does Olaudah mean in Ibo? And where are "Essaka and Benin Kingdom" located in Ibo land? Also please tell me where the Anambra you quoted is located in the Benin Kingdom.

Kindly refrain from insulting people you are having a debate with. And no, I will not be baited into insulting back

When people are about to lose an argument, they quickly move from the topic of discussion and attack the person they are arguing with, in order to distract from the original topic.
Show me screenshots to support your counter-argument
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by Shokoloko(f): 5:21pm On Jun 30, 2021
HERE ARE SOME IGBO WORDS IN OLAUDAH EQUIANO'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY BOOK.

Sources:
✓ THE LIFE OF OLAUDAH EQUIANO OR GUSTAVUS VASSA THE AFRICAN WRITTEN BY himself published in 1837.

It's important to note that the accounts of OLAUDAH EQUIANO'S childhood picture about the Igbo customs and manners dates back to his birth year (1745).

Here are some Igbo words in his book, if you have any please do contribute:

1. Essaka: Essaka is the anglicized form of the original Igbo word ISSEKE(a community located in Ihiala local government area, Anambra state). It seems Essaka(Isseke) was the birth place of Olaudah Equiano. Citing from page 9 of his autobiography:
"...This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts : in one of the most remote and fertile of which, was born,
in the year 1745, situated in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. The[b] distance of this province from the capital of Benin[/b] and the sea coast must be very considerable..."

2. Embrenche: This is an anglicized form of the original Igbo word M[G]BURICHI(an act of facial scarification in Igboland which depicts -honour or Noble-). From his book on page 9;
"...My father was one of those elders or chiefs I have spoken of, and was styled Embrenche ; a term, as I remember, importing the highest distinction, and signifying in our language a mark of grandeur. This mark is conferred on the person entitled to it, by cutting the skin across at the top of the forehead, and drawing it down to the eye-brows : and while it is in this situation applying a warm hand, and rubbing it until it shrinks up into a thick weal across the lower part of the forehead..."

3. Eadas: This should be "Ede" in the Igbo language which means Cocoyam. From his book on page 13 and 42
"...Our vegetables are mostly plantains, eadas, yams, beans, and Indian corn...I shall therefore only observe, that in all the places where I was, the soil was exceedingly rich ; the pumpkins, eadas, plaintains, yams..."

4. Oye - Eboe: It's crystal clear that the Igbo word "Onye-Igbo/Ibo" was corrupted to "Oye-Eboe". Igbos who are from a particular district call other Igbos of other districts "Onye Igbo" if they don't know your name or your home town. And it's likely that the frequent usage of the term ONYE IGBO by Igbos made the Europeans to tag all Igbo speaking people as Igbo(NB- During the pre colonial times of the Igbos, no Igbo identified himself/herself as an Igbo person; they commonly identify themselves with the name of their districts like Isuama, Ohafia, Agbaja, Onitsha, Abor, Nri etc). From page 16;
"...These are sometimes visited by stout mahogany-colored men from the south-west of us: we call them Oye-Eboe, which term signifies red men living at a distance..."
–It is likely those mahogany stout men were Arochukwu men who dispersed in all IGBO areas for slaves–

5. Eboe- An anglicized form of "Igbo". From page 17;
"...The West India planters prefer the slaves of Benin or Eboe, to those of any other part of Guinea, for their hardiness, intelligence, integrity, and zeal..."
The Igbos during pre colonial era paid tributes to the Benin kingdom –which means they were subjects to the Oba of Benin– Being subject to the Oba of Benin, does not mean that you a BIni person, Much like the Hausas being subject to Fulani emirs does not make them Fulani, People in ancient times paid tribute sometimes so that they were allowed access to markets, in exchange for security from a more advanced army or basically as a plea not to be conquered. This does not make the Igbo people become Bini people
"...our subjection to the king of Benin was little more than nominal ; for every transaction of the government, as far as my slender observation extended, was conducted by the chief or elders of the place..." - page 9

6. Olaudah- Olaudah is no form of anglicized Igbo word. Some Igbos still bear that archaic name as Olauda or Olaudeh. OLA in the Igbo tongue means Wealth, riches etc and UDAH in the central Igbo/Isuama dialect means LOUD/CELEBRATED. I think if they (Ola+Udah meanings in Igbo) are juxtaposed with OLAUDAH'S narrative, they are related and close. From his book on page 23:
"...I was named Olaudah, which in our language signifies vicissitude, or fortunate ; also, one favored, and having a loud voice and well spoken..."

7. Ah Affoe Way Cah: It's a corruption of the Igbo words "Afor Nwoke"(pronounced Ah-for Wo Keh). Afor means a lot in Igbo - Year, Stomach, name of a market day -. Nwoke simply means man.
Page 24, "...They calculated our time, and foretold events, as their name imported, for we called them Ah-affoe way-cah, which signifies calculators or yearly men, our year being called Ah-affoe..."

8. Ah-affoe: "Afor"(meaning year in the Igbo tongue) is same with Ah-affoe. It was just corrupted! Reference same as 7.

1 Like

Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by MalcoImX: 9:22pm On Jun 30, 2021
Igboid:

What are you on about? grin

Igbo ukwu artifacts belongs to Igbo people because the people were able to identify their uses and even one of them had the "Ichi" scarification mark on it.

Igbo as ethnicity the way we see it today is a political organization. But that doesn't mean there was not an "Igbo" identity before Europeans came on board.
The igbo concept is understood by ancient Igbo as a name to call their neighbors who speak similar dialects but not themselves.
I call my self "Onye Ogidi" and call an Awka man that ventures into Ogidi "Onye Igbo". When I leave Ogidi and get to Awka, Awka people will call me "Onye Igbo" while calling themselves "Ndi Awka".
But if someone whose dialect is not Igbo comes to Awka, they would never call such person "Onye Igbo", because they understand the Igbo concept as someone speaking a related dialect to their own Awka dialect.

Olauda Equiano book is probably the oldest book on Igbo people and he identified himself and his people as Igbos.

MajorLeaguePlay:

Equaino wasn't even ibo. If his story is to be believed at all he was Etsako, in Present day Edo state. As is widely known, it is claimed that he's from "Essaka in the Benin Kingdom". But as usual, our brothers hijacked the story and someone claimed everything for themselves.

So Igboid is misinforming us.

Equiano is not even Igbo.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by Shokoloko(f): 9:52pm On Jun 30, 2021
MalcoImX:

So Igboid is misinforming us.

Equiano is not even Igbo.

Person 1 claims that Equaino is not Igbo - no proof
Person 2 submits loads of proof that Equaino is Igbo

And you choose the claim without proof - Smart choice lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by Banmeallday: 9:55pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nigg OP.... forgot that he too was named by Oyibo, and instead of them calling him Angels as in Los Angeles, they called him Nigger....Nigger Area....as in Nigeria.

FOOLISH Blackie
In Biafra We STand
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by StrongandMighty: 10:27pm On Jun 30, 2021
Shokoloko:

Person 1 claims that Equaino is not Igbo - no proof
Person 2 submits loads of proof that Equaino is Igbo

And you choose the claim without proof - Smart choice lipsrsealed
I must say you're really smart & intelligent. I loved the way you make sound aguement with facts and figures devoid of insults, that's really commendable! You've schooled then enough but it's obvious they've purposely refused to learn so let them be.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by Shokoloko(f): 10:32pm On Jun 30, 2021
StrongandMighty:

I must say you're really smart & intelligent. I loved the way you make sound aguement with facts and figures devoid of insults, that's really commendable! You've schooled then enough but it's obvious they've purposely refused to learn so let them be.

Thank you.
I agree with you - I'm done with this post.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by MalcoImX: 10:33pm On Jun 30, 2021
Shokoloko:

Sources:
✓ THE LIFE OF OLAUDAH EQUIANO OR GUSTAVUS VASSA THE AFRICAN WRITTEN BY himself published in 1837., Ohafia, Agbaja, Onitsha, Abor, Nri etc). From page 16;

"...The West India planters prefer the slaves of Benin or Eboe, to those of any other part of Guinea, for their hardiness, intelligence, integrity, and zeal..."
The Igbos during pre colonial era paid tributes to the Benin kingdom –which means they were subjects to the Oba of Benin–
"...our subjection to the king of Benin was little more than nominal ; for every transaction of the government, as far as my slender observation extended, was conducted by the chief or elders of the place..." - page 9

An indication that land bearing South East now belonged to Benin Kingdom in the olden times, as corroborated by Portuguese explorers.
Re: Old Maps Show Biafra Was Actually In Cameroon And Was Never Part Of Nigeria by Nobody: 12:19am On Jul 01, 2021
Shokoloko:

Sources:
✓ THE LIFE OF OLAUDAH EQUIANO OR GUSTAVUS VASSA THE AFRICAN WRITTEN BY himself published in 1837.

It's important to note that the accounts of OLAUDAH EQUIANO'S childhood picture about the Igbo customs and manners dates back to his birth year (1745).

Here are some Igbo words in his book, if you have any please do contribute:

1. Essaka: Essaka is the anglicized form of the original Igbo word ISSEKE(a community located in Ihiala local government area, Anambra state). It seems Essaka(Isseke) was the birth place of Olaudah Equiano. Citing from page 9 of his autobiography:
"...This kingdom is divided into many provinces or districts : in one of the most remote and fertile of which, was born,
in the year 1745, situated in a charming fruitful vale, named Essaka. The[b] distance of this province from the capital of Benin[/b] and the sea coast must be very considerable..."

2. Embrenche: This is an anglicized form of the original Igbo word M[G]BURICHI(an act of facial scarification in Igboland which depicts -honour or Noble-). From his book on page 9;
"...My father was one of those elders or chiefs I have spoken of, and was styled Embrenche ; a term, as I remember, importing the highest distinction, and signifying in our language a mark of grandeur. This mark is conferred on the person entitled to it, by cutting the skin across at the top of the forehead, and drawing it down to the eye-brows : and while it is in this situation applying a warm hand, and rubbing it until it shrinks up into a thick weal across the lower part of the forehead..."

3. Eadas: This should be "Ede" in the Igbo language which means Cocoyam. From his book on page 13 and 42
"...Our vegetables are mostly plantains, eadas, yams, beans, and Indian corn...I shall therefore only observe, that in all the places where I was, the soil was exceedingly rich ; the pumpkins, eadas, plaintains, yams..."

4. Oye - Eboe: It's crystal clear that the Igbo word "Onye-Igbo/Ibo" was corrupted to "Oye-Eboe". Igbos who are from a particular district call other Igbos of other districts "Onye Igbo" if they don't know your name or your home town. And it's likely that the frequent usage of the term ONYE IGBO by Igbos made the Europeans to tag all Igbo speaking people as Igbo(NB- During the pre colonial times of the Igbos, no Igbo identified himself/herself as an Igbo person; they commonly identify themselves with the name of their districts like Isuama, Ohafia, Agbaja, Onitsha, Abor, Nri etc). From page 16;
"...These are sometimes visited by stout mahogany-colored men from the south-west of us: we call them Oye-Eboe, which term signifies red men living at a distance..."
–It is likely those mahogany stout men were Arochukwu men who dispersed in all IGBO areas for slaves–

The Igbos during pre colonial era paid tributes to the Benin kingdom –which means they were subjects to the Oba of Benin– Being subject to the Oba of Benin, does not mean that you a BIni person, Much like the Hausas being subject to Fulani emirs does not make them Fulani, People in ancient times paid tribute sometimes so that they were allowed access to markets, in exchange for security from a more advanced army or basically as a plea not to be conquered. This does not make the Igbo people become Bini people

6. Olaudah- Olaudah is no form of anglicized Igbo word. Some Igbos still bear that archaic name as Olauda or Olaudeh. OLA in the Igbo tongue means Wealth, riches etc and UDAH in the central Igbo/Isuama dialect means LOUD/CELEBRATED. I think if they (Ola+Udah meanings in Igbo) are juxtaposed with OLAUDAH'S narrative, they are related and close. From his book on page 23:
"...I was named Olaudah, which in our language signifies vicissitude, or fortunate ; also, one favored, and having a loud voice and well spoken..."

7. Ah Affoe Way Cah: It's a corruption of the Igbo words "Afor Nwoke"(pronounced Ah-for Wo Keh). Afor means a lot in Igbo - Year, Stomach, name of a market day -. Nwoke simply means man.
Page 24, "...They calculated our time, and foretold events, as their name imported, for we called them Ah-affoe way-cah, which signifies calculators or yearly men, our year being called Ah-affoe..."

8. Ah-affoe: "Afor"(meaning year in the Igbo tongue) is same with Ah-affoe. It was just corrupted! Reference same as 7.

A Nigerian that learned about him less than 3 yrs ago does not know better than those who taught me at 10yrs old. You can revise all you want and put your own meanings to it all you want--- after all youre the same ones that claim that ibo language and Hebrew are basically the same--- all I know is that until you answer my questions you cannot convince me that he has suddenly become ibo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu's Mandate Rally In River's State.... Magnus Abe Grassroots campaigns / APC: Road Map To A New Nigeria. / Former Kogi Governor, Abubakar Audu Handcuffed By EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.