Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,305 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. (4782 Views)

Here Is A Great Graphic Showing The Hierarchy Of Tech Companies / Hierarchy Of A Senator, Minister And Governor. / Beaf : Jonathan ebele azikiwe Goodluck Root Is Igbo, And Not Ijaw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by jason123: 8:43am On May 08, 2011
chino11:

The poverty rate in oyo, ogun is higher than what you have in Kaduna and kano

Thus:

Lagos
Rivers
Anambra
Delta
Kaduna
kano

and the rest

grin grin grin grin
I hear you!!! cheesy
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Rhino5dm: 8:46am On May 08, 2011
Nigerian politicians are very good in cosmetic surgery.

They will do all what is necessary to score cheap political points.

'Paint few here and there to show all is well syndrome' is the order most govornor employ to decieve the ignorant and gullibles

ekt_bear:

Interesting thread.
Are they diesel, really? Was thinking it'd be solar. So if diesel, they have the street lights on a separate power grid which is powered by a diesel gen?
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Rhino5dm: 9:02am On May 08, 2011
^^solar powering would have being the best means for long time, low voltage requirement considering the huge sun light rays beaming Africa per second.

Another plus is minimal maintenance requirment of solar system and lower risk in the overal environmental impact assessment.

Though the initial cost could be very high in comparision with most available source. which can be easily offseted by the the total maintenance time-valued cost.

The most resistance to better options normally comes from government officials which attach so much importance to re-current expenditures, which will create an avenue for stealing and diverting public funds.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by ektbear: 9:12am On May 08, 2011
Solar is definitely more expensive than diesel per watt (looks like 2X according to Table 1 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source)

But this ignores the cost of wiring up all the street lights together on one grid, I guess hiring a guy to make sure the gen is running, general inconvenience and hassle, etc.

If it were me, I'd just do solar. . . the overall cost won't be too much higher (since these street lights don't need massive amounts of electricity, if I'm not mistaken. How much can each one use, say 100 W? 200W?), but is a lot more convenient.

Just install it and don't worry about anything except for some periodic maintenance.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by ektbear: 9:26am On May 08, 2011
Regarding HDI stuff, there is also this more recent report: http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/national/africa/nigeria/name,14593,en.html

Seems to contradict some things posted here, though.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by nduchucks: 12:15pm On May 08, 2011
Beaf:

Markings mine. Source: http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/nationalreports/africa/nigeria/nigeria_hdr_report.pdf

Beaf,  you know better than to site a 2005 survey, which is essentially outdated, to make your point. We all know that Ibori and others looted most of the funds intended to keep the trend you are championing, going.  Provide more recent data to support your arguement, this laziness of yours is unbecoming. olodo

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/436247_HDI-for-ND_gifde0df9973ab59a585e85b460dae33135[/img]
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Beaf: 5:11pm On May 08, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Beaf,  you know better than to site a 2005 survey, which is essentially outdated, to make your point. We all know that Ibori and others looted most of the funds intended to keep the trend you are championing, going.  Provide more recent data to support your arguement, this laziness of yours is unbecoming. olodo

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/436247_HDI-for-ND_gifde0df9973ab59a585e85b460dae33135[/img]

Why the bad bele na?

Dude, if anything, the gap has only grown wider. Ibori stole like the fool that he is, but he also laid down massive development; we just don't tolerate thieves, development or not, so the maga is in jail now.
Anyway, all figures support my argument, regardless of the year. The 2008/2009 figures are even more wicked in their emphasis. grin

I invited you to Delta, to travel the Sapele, Warri, Ughelli, Asaba route. Its for a rather unscientific, but telling study I call the "bush index." LOLZ!!!
It is the amount of bush you encounter between developed places (nice towns, factories, businesses etc). Delta does spectacularly well indeed!
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Mariory(m): 7:06pm On May 08, 2011
A more recent stat of HDI across Nigerian states. Data from >>here<<.

Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by aletheia(m): 7:45pm On May 08, 2011
Don't know about the other states but without a doubt Lagos' is #1. It's the 5th largest economy in sub-Saharan Africa. With a GDP of $43 billion, Lagos economy trails South Africa at $467 billion, Nigeria $294 billion, Sudan $107 billion, Angola $80.95 billion, and Kenya $57.65 billion. This means Lagos' economy is larger than that of Ghana.

Economist.com:
He stresses a rise in the tax take, which now accounts for 65% of the city-state’s revenues. If Lagos were a country, its GDP of $43 billion would make it the fifth-biggest economy in sub-Saharan Africa.

http://www.economist.com/node/18652563
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Beaf: 7:50pm On May 08, 2011
Here's a chart of HDI vs HPI for all states:

Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by ektbear: 10:41pm On May 08, 2011
aletheia:

Don't know about the other states but without a doubt Lagos' is #1. It's the 5th largest economy in sub-Saharan Africa. With a GDP of $43 billion, Lagos economy trails South Africa at $467 billion, Nigeria $294 billion, Sudan $107 billion, Angola $80.95 billion, and Kenya $57.65 billion. This means Lagos' economy is larger than that of Ghana.

I was a bit confused by that. The $467 billion for SA, $294 billion for Nigeria and those others countries mentioned in the above article you referenced is GDP, with the PPP adjustment.

However, the $43 billiion reported for Lagos, I'm almost certain is nominal GDP. Just because almost every other article I've read on The Economist before uses nominal (see this for example: http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/01/comparing_us_states_countries).

Nominal figures for SA, Nigeria, Sudan, Angola and Kenya look like quite a bit different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal). GDP of SA and Nigeria are much smaller using nominal instead of PPP.

BTW, Lagos has the 5th largest economy in sub-saharan Africa (according to that economist article)! So Kenya is #6, after Lagos smiley Whoever wrote that article on did a messy job.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by aletheia(m): 7:19am On May 09, 2011
^
You are right. Was in a haste, so didn't catch it. So you read the Economist? Kudos man, I try to encourage guys to read it.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by ektbear: 7:37am On May 09, 2011
^--Wasn't your fault, was the fault of the PM News writer.

Yep, been reading The Economist for a while now. Paul Krugman's writings (on the New York Times) are also really good too.

Both of them do a good job of explaining economic/business ideas to laypersons like myself.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by efisher(m): 7:44am On May 09, 2011
aletheia:

^
You are right. Was in a haste, so didn't catch it. So you read the Economist? Kudos man, I try to encourage guys to read it.

ekt_bear:

^--Wasn't your fault, was the fault of the PM News writer.

Yep, been reading The Economist for a while now. Paul Krugman's writings (on the New York Times) are also really good too.

Both of them do a good job of explaining economic/business ideas to laypersons like myself.

Sounds nice. I think I'll join the Economist train. Let me check it out.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Two4Two(m): 8:09am On May 09, 2011
Please what about the most poorly developed states.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Demdem(m): 8:42am On May 09, 2011
i love going to Delta state. Places i continously go to there includes Ugheli, sapele, warri, Asaba ,escravos etc The roads there are pretty cool and enviroment very serene considering the Nigerian factor. Power outages hardly occur in those places i go to. The place is cool. In contrast Bayelsa is a no-no. Present and past leaders of that state are simply vissionless despite the huge allocations. Its a shame.
I have to admit that i agree with Beaf for the very first time.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by chino11(m): 9:44am On May 09, 2011
Demdem:

i love going to Delta state. Places i continously go to there includes Ugheli, sapele, warri, Asaba ,escravos etc The roads there are pretty cool and enviroment very serene considering the Nigerian factor. Power outages hardly occur in those places i go to. The place is cool. In contrast Bayelsa is a no-no. Present and past leaders of that state are simply vissionless despite the huge allocations. Its a shame.
I have to admit that i agree with Beaf for the very first time.

I think you are clueless about what your talking about. I did my nysc in your delta state. Though I sparingly stay their due to the harsh weather and environment cos I was already working in Awka. This places you mentioned above are not what it is. Warri, ughelli, sapele even up to asaba are all plan-less, with the attendant poverty driving the youths into negative things. Though I know that delta attracts enough allocation from FG, but we are yet to see its impact on the masses and environment.
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by Demdem(m): 4:13pm On May 09, 2011
chino11:

I think you are clueless about what your talking about. I did my nysc in your delta state. Though I sparingly stay their due to the harsh weather and environment cos I was already working in Awka. This places you mentioned above are not what it is. Warri, ughelli, sapele even up to asaba are all plan-less, with the attendant poverty driving the youths into negative things. Though I know that delta attracts enough allocation from FG, but we are yet to see its impact on the masses and environment.

Actually, i think you are the one that should get your head examined. you tell me where there is no poverty in Nigeria. The only factors i considered in places i mentioned includes just the roads and power and i stand by what i said when compared to other places especially in the SS region because that has been what i have been experiencing till date. You that didnt even stay for your NYSC is claiming otherwise. Its obvious to me that you are simply mentally lazy and just want to criticise for the sake of it.
Idi*t
Re: The Hierarchy Of The Most Devoloped State In Nigeria___By Beaf. by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:16am On May 10, 2011
Mariory:

A more recent stat of HDI across Nigerian states. Data from >>here<<.

How are they calculating these stats?

In this report, Edo state has the third lowest "human poverty index" after Abuja and Lagos, but only a mediocre HDI. In other reports, Edo state is nowhere near the third lowest in "poverty rate".

Something makes me think a lot of these reports are unreliable.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Suitable Statue For Ojukwu In Enugu (picture Sample) 300 Meters High. / Delta Workers Embark On Strike Over Kidnappings / Woman Caught With "Bomb Under Hijab" In Kano Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.