Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. (4120 Views)

Day 6 || Great Possibilities || GCK / If You Had The Opportunity To Meet Someone In The Bible, Who Would It Be? / If You Asked To Spend A Day With One Person In Bible Who Will You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 3:24pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
But, I didn't use the word "concubine" in my comment there? undecided

Sidekick, mistress, concubine mean the same thing in this context, they are not wives.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

Sidekick, mistress, concubine mean the same thing in this context, they are not wives.
Well, as I explained to the OP, what Abraham had were lesser wives, and not sidechicks/mistresses(unmarried). undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Well, as I explained to the OP, what Abraham had were lesser wives, and not sidechicks/mistresses(unmarried). undecided

They didn't get a marriage ceremony so what makes them wives and what makes them lesser?
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 4:37pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

They didn't get a marriage ceremony so what makes them wives and what makes them lesser?
I am not sure from the story if they did or did not get a marriage ceremony. What makes them wives and what makes them lesser? I don't know. All I know is in Abraham's case, they were wives who were referred to as concubines. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 5:31pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I am not sure from the story if they did or did not get a marriage ceremony. What makes them wives and what makes them lesser? I don't know. All I know is in Abraham's case, they were wives who were referred to as concubines. undecided

From the cultural context of what can be gleaned from historical data, they did not get marriage ceremonies. Which is why I dunno how you are able to refer to them as wives. The only difference between the olden days practice and what is obtainable now is the concubines were allowed to live in the same house with the wives.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

From the cultural context of what can be gleaned from historical data, they did not get marriage ceremonies. Which is why I dunno how you are able to refer to them as wives. The only difference between the olden days practice and what is obtainable now is the concubines were allowed to live in the same house with the wives.
God never required your marriage ceremonies in His definition of marriage. undecided
Second, I refer to them as wives, because they were referred to as Abraham's wives in the Bible. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 7:08pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
God never required your marriage ceremonies in His definition of marriage. undecided
Second, I refer to them as wives, because they were referred to as Abraham's wives in the Bible. undecided

LMAO! Your god recognises marriages without ceremony but somehow it's now a sin to do the same today.

Keturah and Hagar were concubines not wives.
1 Chronicles 1:32
Now the sons born to Keturah, Abraham’s concubine
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 7:16pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

LMAO! Your god recognises marriages without ceremony but somehow it's now a sin to do the same today.

Keturah and Hagar were concubines not wives.
1 Chronicles 1:32
Now the sons born to Keturah, Abraham’s concubine
I don't know where you got the idea that it is now a sin to be married without a ceremony from , this since God never changed his mind as far as the definition of marrriage. undecided

And as I already showed you previously, in Genesis 15 vs 3 , Hagar was listed as Abraham's wife and so also was Keturah , in Genesis 25 vs 1. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 8:06pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I don't know where you got the idea that it is now a sin to be married without a ceremony from , this since God never changed his mind as far as the definition of marrriage. undecided

And as I already showed you previously, in Genesis 15 vs 3 , Hagar was listed as Abraham's wife and so also was Keturah , in Genesis 25 vs 1. undecided

So a man can marry multiple wives and have concubines since god has not changed right?

The bible is wrong then in calling Keturah a concubine.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

So a man can marry multiple wives and have concubines since god has not changed right?

The bible is wrong then in calling Keturah a concubine.
1. If the man is of the Old Covenant Law, sure. undecided

2. I don't know since I dont know the details of the Law that exiisted between God and Abraham. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 8:19pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. If the man is of the Old Covenant Law, sure. undecided

2. I don't know since I dont know the details of the Law that exiisted between God and Abraham. undecided

Now you are contradicting yourself. You just said god hasn't changed marrige but somehow there is a difference because of what you call Old Covenant Law or some Law that was between Abraham and your god. What of Solomon did he have his own special Law too? David? Gideon?
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

Now you are contradicting yourself. You just said god hasn't changed marrige but somehow there is a difference because of what you call Old Covenant Law or some Law that was between Abraham and your god. What of Solomon did he have his own special Law too? David? Gideon?
1. Marriage remains the same for those of us who follow Jesus Christ said in Matthew 19 vs 4 - 6

2. God had a Covenant with Abraham which may have included laws defining marriage in his case. Since, I don't know the details of that Law, I can't speak to it in anyway. All I know is that he was married to all 3 women - Sarah, Hagar and Keturah. undecided

3. Those of the Old Covenant had additional laws as I previously showed in Exodus 21 and , I believe Deuteronomy 20, which permitted the having of lesser wives also referred to as slave wives/concubines in some cases. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LilMissFavvy(f): 9:33pm On Jul 02, 2021
So you have the guts to include Abraham in this write up? Are you aware barrenness is what made Sarah pressurize Abraham to have a child from the hand maid? Same Sarah later told him to send the maid away, which shows that the wife was totally responsible for that error. Marriage was created to happen between one man and woman, as shown in the first marriage between Adam and Eve.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 9:37pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. Marriage remains the same for those of us who follow Jesus Christ said in Matthew 19 vs 4 - 6

2. God had a Covenant with Abraham which may have included laws defining marriage in his case. Since, I don't know the details of that Law, I can't speak to it in anyway. All I know is that he was married to all 3 women - Sarah, Hagar and Keturah. undecided

3. Those of the Old Covenant had additional laws as I previously showed in Exodus 21 and , I believe Deuteronomy 20, which permitted the having of lesser wives also referred to as slave wives/concubines in some cases. undecided

So apparently Abraham and the rest had been committing adultery since they had wives and concubines but your god overlooked them or gave them special grace, like that Abuja pastor. I guess god can give you special grace to marry more than one wife and have concubines. LMFAO!
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 9:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

So apparently Abraham and the rest had been committing adultery since they had wives and concubines but your god overlooked them or gave them special grace, like that Abuja pastor. I guess god can give you special grace to marry more than one wife and have concubines. LMFAO!
Your conclusion makes no sense to me since there isn't evidence of even Abraham committing adultery from what I have said so far. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 10:36pm On Jul 02, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Your conclusion makes no sense to me since there isn't evidence of even Abraham committing adultery from what I have said so far. undecided

You quoted Jesus saying that a man who marries another woman is committing adultery, it is not rocket science to draw the conclusion that you are clearly in support of monogamy. Abraham and the rest were not monogamous so they were committing adultery according to you, except of course god gave them a special grace to continue committing adultery since he didn't want them to marry multiple wives but he allowed them to anyway.

Why I take the trouble to engage in all these is that it just seems to me that you folk hide yourselves from the implications of the things you say. You tie yourselves into pretzels trying to explain this convoluted mess and can't see that you are contradicting yourselves or maybe you do know you are contradicting yourself but are so caught up in the cognitive dissonance you just go with the flow.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2021
LordReed:

You quoted Jesus saying that a man who marries another woman is committing adultery, it is not rocket science to draw the conclusion that you are clearly in support of monogamy. Abraham and the rest were not monogamous so they were committing adultery according to you, except of course god gave them a special grace to continue committing adultery since he didn't want them to marry multiple wives but he allowed them to anyway.

Why I take the trouble to engage in all these is that it just seems to me that you folk hide yourselves from the implications of the things you say. You tie yourselves into pretzels trying to explain this convoluted mess and can't see that you are contradicting yourselves or maybe you do know you are contradicting yourself but are so caught up in the cognitive dissonance you just go with the flow.
Monogamy? undecided

You are taking this where it ought to even venture at all. What I quoted was Jesus Christ affirming the decree God gave in Genesis 2 vs 24 regarding the definition of marriage - a union between a man and a woman. Nothing of that says monogamy is the decree! undecided

Adultery as Jesus Christ made clear, in the Law He represents, is defined as a man divorcing his wife only to then marry another woman, or a woman divorcing her husband only to then marry another man. This different from Old Covenant description of the same sin. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Image123(m): 12:17am On Jul 03, 2021
LordReed:

Aptly describes my hobby with you, cheesy cheesy well that was before you started to see me as some kind of sugar daddy to fear. Fear God reed, not me.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 6:55am On Jul 03, 2021
Image123:

Aptly describes my hobby with you, cheesy cheesy well that was before you started to see me as some kind of sugar daddy to fear. Fear God reed, not me.

Lagbaja Nothing For You!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd-MeDtmIbA
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 7:11am On Jul 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Monogamy? undecided

You are taking this where it ought to even venture at all. What I quoted was Jesus Christ affirming the decree God gave in Genesis 2 vs 24 regarding the definition of marriage - a union between a man and a woman. Nothing of that says monogamy is the decree! undecided

Adultery as Jesus Christ made clear, in the Law He represents, is defined as a man divorcing his wife only to then marry another woman, or a woman divorcing her husband only to then marry another man. This different from Old Covenant description of the same sin. undecided

LMFAO! Divorcing and remarrying is adultery but marrying multiple wives is not. SMH Bwahahahaha! I can't anymore. LoLz!

The dissonance is as clear as summer daylight.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Image123(m): 8:00am On Jul 03, 2021
LordReed:

LMFAO! Divorcing and remarrying is adultery but marrying multiple wives is not. SMH Bwahahahaha! I can't anymore. LoLz!

The dissonance is as clear as summer daylight.

Stop learning English from a Chinese only to later blame the English. OT and NT are not the same T.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 8:18am On Jul 03, 2021
Image123:

Stop learning English from a Chinese only to later blame the English. OT and NT are not the same T.

Lagbaja Nothing For You!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd-MeDtmIbA
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 7:00pm On Jul 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Monogamy? undecided

Remember this:

Kobojunkie:
First of all, God already declared it against Him - this in His Law - for anyone of His people to take to themselves concubines. So, His "silence" when a person goes against that which He has decreed, should not then be mistaken for approval of any kind from God. undecided

Secondly, God, on numerous occasions, condemned sin, including adultery, among His people. He did this severally through His prophets. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 7:02pm On Jul 03, 2021
LordReed:

Remember this:
Yes, I do remember it well. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 7:12pm On Jul 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Yes, I do remember it well. undecided

I would also hope you see how you have contradicted yourself.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 7:17pm On Jul 03, 2021
LordReed:

I would also hope you see how you have contradicted yourself.
I don't see it. Go ahead and show me. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 7:49pm On Jul 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I don't see it. Go ahead and show me. undecided

Compare:
First of all, God already declared it against Him - this in His Law - for anyone of His people to take to themselves concubines. So, His "silence" when a person goes against that which He has decreed, should not then be mistaken for approval of any kind from God.

With:
Those of the Old Covenant had additional laws as I previously showed in Exodus 21 and , I believe Deuteronomy 20, which permitted the having of lesser wives also referred to as slave wives/concubines in some cases.

You directly contradicted yourself. Declaring first that your god did not give permission then flipping and saying he did.
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 7:58pm On Jul 03, 2021
LordReed:

Compare:
First of all, God already declared it against Him - this in His Law - for anyone of His people to take to themselves concubines. So, His "silence" when a person goes against that which He has decreed, should not then be mistaken for approval of any kind from God.

With:
Those of the Old Covenant had additional laws as I previously showed in Exodus 21 and , I believe Deuteronomy 20, which permitted the having of lesser wives also referred to as slave wives/concubines in some cases.

You directly contradicted yourself. Declaring first that your god did not give permission then flipping and saying he did.
You are right! My mistake was in my assumption that the word "concubine" was used, in the bible, only in reference the unmarried women kept by the men. But as you rightly pointed out, even Keturah who was rightly married to Abraham was referred to as a concubine in the book of chronicles. undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 8:16pm On Jul 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You are right! My mistake was in my assumption that the word "concubine" was used, in the bible, only in reference the unmarried women kept by the men. But as you rightly pointed out, even Keturah who was rightly married to Abraham was referred to as a concubine in the book of chronicles. undecided

Without a ceremony what was the entry point for the married status for a concubine?
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On Jul 03, 2021
LordReed:

Without a ceremony what was the entry point for the married status for a concubine?
God does not require ceremonies for a couple to be considered married so? undecided
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by LordReed(m): 8:26pm On Jul 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
God does not require ceremonies for a couple to be considered married so? undecided

Well how did one know he was married to the concubine?
Re: 6 Great Men Of God In The Bible Who Had Sidechicks. by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On Jul 03, 2021
LordReed:

Well how did one know he was married to the concubine?
I don't know. All I know is a ceremony is not required as far as God's definition of marriage. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Theory Of Evolution And Common Ancestry / Has Anyone Seen Someone Healed Of HIV/AIDS / Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.