Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,265 members, 7,853,311 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 02:13 PM

Candid Advice Needed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Candid Advice Needed (1217 Views)

I Just Bought This Refrigerator....please I Need Your Candid Advise / I Need Your Candid Advice / My Wife Is Adulterous: Advice Needed-long Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Candid Advice Needed by KemiMo: 3:37pm On Jul 01, 2021
Dear Nairalander,

I recently got married less than a month now. My husband family has been so good to me thus far except this hinge of demanding over respect.

I will be clocking 31 years of age this very month of July. My mother-in-law has been insisting that I should be addressing senior wives as "mummy". She particularly emphasized on me addressing two older wives who are 40years & 38years of age respectively as "mummy wa"; instead of the regular name of their kid as called by me. I do call one 'mum Shewa'.

One of the wife is a wife of my husband's immediate elder brother, while the second is a wife of my husband's twin brother.

To top the annoying part for me, MIL still insisted that I should be addressing kids of 8years and above as "aunty & brother". Meaning that I must not address them by their first name. Whereas from my own approach and thus far, I only give that respect to age 14 and above.

It is extremely inconvenient for me to do these. I can't be addressing someone who is just 9years older than me as "mummy wa"...is definitely not possible for me. How will I be addressing 8years old kid as aunty...the fact remains that I will be feeling like an alien amidst them if I should start with such. I won't be free with them and that will be creating gap amisdt us.

I am someone who respect all and asundry. I don't disrespect anyone and I won't give anyone the space to devalue me.

Where I come from, this extreme traditional act is not done. Not only that we don't do such to wives in my family but in my entire environment is not done. A wife only needs to address mature children of the family who have reached adulthood as 'aunty & brother'.

Kindly give me genuine advices on how to overcome this. I need strategic ways on how I can maturely address it.

Truly this maybe fine with someone else but not me. I cannot start what I can't finish.

Thank you
Re: Candid Advice Needed by Gentlerespect76: 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2021
Bottom line is you know what you want. Stand by it.

3 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by brownemmanuel43(m): 4:02pm On Jul 01, 2021
Even without mentioning some names I knew it must be from West Coast. Their own version of respect is more like an eye-service.
Also, I believe during the courtship u saw it coming directly or indirectly but love or eager to marry no allow u handle the matter before the marriage.
If I'm to say, don't I repeat don't buy that nonsense ideal of aunty wa or whatever name, that's rubbish.
Don't start what u cannot finish

1 Like

Re: Candid Advice Needed by Raymond0008(m): 4:44pm On Jul 01, 2021
You know this before you marry their child, I guess it’s yoruba. Don’t argue with your MIL but don’t get close to them. Just show up during functions day.

It’s not that hard, you suppose respect any lady you meet in that house, they are there before you.

Less I frgt one edo girl I was dating and she told me frankly that she can’t kneel down when greeting me and I ask when she’s about to suck the diCk, will she do that while standing and she laugh out loud.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candid Advice Needed by AutoChick4U(f): 5:04pm On Jul 01, 2021
KemiMo:
Dear Nairalander,

I recently got married less than a month now. My husband family has been so good to me thus far except this hinge of demanding over respect.

I will be clocking 31 years of age this very month of July. My mother-in-law has been insisting that I should be addressing senior wives as "mummy". She particularly emphasized on me addressing two older wives who are 40years & 38years of age respectively as "mummy wa"; instead of the regular name of their kid as called by me. I do call one 'mum Shewa'.

One of the wife is a wife of my husband's immediate elder brother, while the second is a wife of my husband's twin brother.

To top the annoying part for me, MIL still insisted that I should be addressing kids of 8years and above as "aunty & brother". Meaning that I must not address them by their first name. Whereas from my own approach and thus far, I only give that respect to age 14 and above.

It is extremely inconvenient for me to do these. I can't be addressing someone who is just 9years older than me as "mummy wa"...is definitely not possible for me. How will I be addressing 8years old kid as aunty...the fact remains that I will be feeling like an alien amidst them if I should start with such. I won't be free with them and that will be creating gap amisdt us.

I am someone who respect all and asundry. I don't disrespect anyone and I won't give anyone the space to devalue me.

Where I come from, this extreme traditional act is not done. Not only that we don't do such to wives in my family but in my entire environment is not done. A wife only needs to address mature children of the family who have reached adulthood as 'aunty & brother'.

Kindly give me genuine advices on how to overcome this. I need strategic ways on how I can maturely address it.

Truly this maybe fine with someone else but not me. I cannot start what I can't finish.

Thank you
Didnt you know all these before marrying into d family? nawa
Re: Candid Advice Needed by frozen70(f): 6:57pm On Jul 01, 2021
KemiMo:
Dear Nairalander,

Thank you

Well, don't let them turn you to what you are not

You don't need to argue with your mother inlaw over it

Just address every one of them the most respectful way you can

Heaven will not fall

Don't start what you can't finish

1 Like

Re: Candid Advice Needed by GIANTPLUSHUB: 8:02pm On Jul 01, 2021
KemiMo:
Dear Nairalander,

Thank you

I will advice you to just satisfy your mother in law with this request if this is the only issue you have with her. Could remember in my former area where I do photocopy, the owner used to call all the boys there brother. Later I got to know they are her husband siblings even to the last one that's 12 years old but the honest thing is that she sent them errands anyhow, even talks to them anyhow she likes but that brother, she puts it whenever she's calling their names.

Was surprised, one day we had a deep conversation and she told me that was she met in their family and she had to follow through and she never regretted it because their brother was a very good husband to her hence that's the little sacrifice she had to pay to stay in the family. She's very nice to the boys hence they never see the errand things or talks as anything. Will advice you to delete this post before some indomie generations who doesn't know what it takes to keep a marriage come and poison your mind to scatter your marriage with their feminist and wrong advice. Don't forget, most of them are sadist that don't like good things. Your mother in law request isn't too much perhaps based on tradition or olden days culture which she thinks should still be existing by now. It doesn't limit you from sending them errands or acting like the big sister to them. It doesn't take anything away from you or limit you in any area. Wish you all the very best!

If you need me to edit this post so as for you to edit your post. Do let me know.

7 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by JovialJune(f): 8:31pm On Jul 01, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:

I will advice you to just satisfy your mother in law with this request if this is the only issue you have with her. Could remember in my former area where I do photocopy, the owner used to call all the boys there brother. Later I got to know they are her husband siblings even to the last one that's 12 years old but the honest thing is that she sent them errands anyhow, even talks to them anyhow she likes but that brother, she puts it whenever she's calling their names.

Was surprised, one day we had a deep conversation and she told me that was she met in their family and she had to follow through and she never regretted it because their brother was a very good husband to her hence that's the little sacrifice she had to pay to stay in the family. She's very nice to the boys hence they never see the errand things or talks as anything. Will advice you to delete this post before some indomie generations who doesn't know what it takes to keep a marriage come and poison your mind to scatter your marriage with their feminist and wrong advice. Don't forget, most of them are sadist that don't like good things. Your mother in law request isn't too much perhaps based on tradition or olden days culture which she thinks should still be existing by now. It doesn't limit you from sending them errands or acting like the big sister to them. It doesn't take anything away from you or limit you in any area. Wish you all the very best!

If you need me to edit this post so as for you to edit your post. Do let me know.

Nice one.

Op the moment you don't see the name attachments as something big or highly significant title, the better for you, see it as nothing, and live a peaceful life with your in laws.

1 Like

Re: Candid Advice Needed by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 01, 2021
1. For the sake of peace, accept it. Technically, no one has the right to insist you do something you're not comfortable with, but she's not asking you to do anything bad, so just see it as no biggie.

2. For your peace of mind, move far away [it seems you currently live close to her/his family right now] with your hubby. Her insistence of this sets precedence for what's ahead and the only way to reduce or avoid her control is to move away.

2 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by GboyegaD(m): 2:56am On Jul 02, 2021
What is your husband's opinion of the situation?

Is it possible to avoid them and the few occasions you come across them, address them in the way you feel comfortable.

2 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by sisisioge: 6:08am On Jul 02, 2021
Mummy wa ke? grin grin ;

I hope you live far away from them. Mummy Shewa is fine biko....no need to argue indeed....just call them what you want. I hope that wont be often sha. Good luck.
Re: Candid Advice Needed by debbydams(f): 6:56am On Jul 02, 2021
I don't see anything bad in that tho..u are mature enof to decide for yourself, calling mummy wa' or calling the kids aunty won't reduce your life span..most yoruba home' like respect. In some part in Kwara state mama of 60 years bend to greet me, I bend when I greet anybody bending even for kids nd I used 'E' for everybody..
Re: Candid Advice Needed by ImaIma1(f): 9:14am On Jul 02, 2021
Why would a young person even want to feel old and be addressed as "mummy wa" "mummy"?

And those young ones will start misbehaving when you call them aunty, brother. Those kinds will come to your house and expect you to serve them.

What happened to our names that it's such an abomination to be called by it? In my husband's family and his extended Yoruba family, I don't even mix up too much for someone to come and start bothering me about mummy, aunty brother nonsense.

There are better and more important things in this life to worry about than unnecessary and unearned respect.

Op figure out how you want to deal with this issue and try to make yourself scarce.

2 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by Richy4(m): 9:21am On Jul 02, 2021
OP What is the meaning of 'Mummy WA"....I googled it... An actress called Kemi Rebecca Ikuseedun showed up..so what does that mean.?
Re: Candid Advice Needed by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
debbydams:
I don't see anything bad in that tho..u are mature enof to decide for yourself, calling mummy wa' or calling the kids aunty won't reduce your life span..most yoruba home' like respect. In some part in Kwara state mama of 60 years bend to greet me, I bend when I greet anybody bending even for kids nd I used 'E' for everybody..
Chai, maybe that was my grandma. j/k

2 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by debbydams(f): 2:35pm On Jul 02, 2021
grin grin
Yxwqq:
Chai, maybe that was my grandma. j/k

1 Like

Re: Candid Advice Needed by BigDick70inch(m): 2:56pm On Jul 02, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:

God bless u my brother!!!
All that doesn't mean anything to me........up till now I still address my brother's wife kids siblings as if they r older than me.........

Infact......I use ''E'' for them Ooo........I mean kids of 10,16 years

Re: Candid Advice Needed by Herrick: 7:20pm On Jul 02, 2021
In marriage, one need to be diplomatic to have peace especially when dealing with in laws.
For the senior wives, make your " ee" well pronounce when addressing them, you don't really need to call their names, u know?
And for the kids, look for a better nice nicknames to give to them all, and stick by it. Who dey call small pikin ..aunty..the first child of the family..u call him/her Captain...nothing do you dear grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by ednut1(m): 11:25pm On Jul 02, 2021
Must you deal with your extended family Ignore them na
Re: Candid Advice Needed by Ishilove: 3:06am On Jul 03, 2021
So you didn't know all these before entering?

Better count your teeth with your tongue
Re: Candid Advice Needed by cococandy(f): 3:15am On Jul 03, 2021

Dumbfounded. To say the least

2 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by pocohantas(f): 5:30am On Jul 03, 2021
That is how Yorubas greet, so get used to it. Some don’t care, most take it very seriously.

However, if you marry into another tribe/race, be ready to accept their culture. That is why one should look well before jumping into inter-tribal marriages. You are lucky they didn’t say they will shave your hair. Better greet them well.
Re: Candid Advice Needed by Nobody: 6:03am On Jul 03, 2021
Abi you wan marry, no dey post nonsense ahn. You did not want to be called evening newspaper now you dey complain. Shift abegii.
Re: Candid Advice Needed by Sterope(f): 6:39am On Jul 03, 2021
grin grin grin

Biko, this is actually a joke.
pocohantas:
That is how Yorubas greet, so get used to it. Some don’t care, most take it very seriously.

However, if you marry into another tribe/race, be ready to accept their culture. That is why one should look well before jumping into inter-tribal marriages. You are lucky they didn’t say they will shave your hair. Better greet them well.

1 Like

Re: Candid Advice Needed by pocohantas(f): 6:43am On Jul 03, 2021
Sterope:
grin grin ;DBiko, this is actually a joke.

It is not joor. I know they do the eee and oooo. Never quite got the concept. cheesy
Re: Candid Advice Needed by Sterope(f): 6:54am On Jul 03, 2021
Re: Candid Advice Needed by NoToPile: 7:14am On Jul 03, 2021
Looolz orishishiri family style.

I thought it was only the ee and oo pronoun that is always the issue , this one is a new one.

Your MIL might be an hard core ' this is the way it was done when I was married type of woman'

Diplomacy is what you need.

The senior wife's own - just use the eee pronoun for them, call them by their children name, mummy Yemi, mummy Nike shikena.

The children own is the one I can't relate with cheesy

I believe you see them once a while, its should be a minor issue.Don't argue with her please.

Just curious KemiMo though Does the wife of your husbands twin brother call the wife of the elderly brother 'mummy wa'?

3 Likes

Re: Candid Advice Needed by LadySarah: 10:08am On Jul 03, 2021
tongue
Nonsense and it's associated ingredients.

Onwe ihe mmadu agaghi anu.Muchecheche

BTW, I often heard of the ''mummy WA''from that fat male skit commedian.What does it mean?

1 Like

Re: Candid Advice Needed by Gloriagee(f): 9:26pm On Jul 03, 2021
Tiptoes out of thread while whispering WHAT shocked 3rd world wahala

(1) (Reply)

Dr.Anthony Chijoke Lied: We Were Never Married! / My Mom Doesn't Want Me To Have A Car / I Give Up. See You On The Other Side

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.