Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics (31224 Views)

Pogba Tests Positive For Testosterone, Provisionally Suspended, risks 4-year ban / Luigi Sartor Arrested For Growing 106 Marijuana Plants At Home / Daniele Rugani Tests Positive For Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 02, 2021
American champion Sha’Carri Richardson cannot run in the Olympic 100-meter race after testing positive for a chemical found in marijuana.

Richardson, who won the 100 at Olympic trials in 10.86 seconds on June 19, told of her ban Friday on the “Today Show.” She tested positive at the Olympic trials and so her result is erased. Fourth-place finisher Jenna Prandini is expected to get Richardson’s spot in the 100.

Richardson accepted a 30-day suspension that ends July 27, which would be in time to run in the women’s relays. USA Track and Field has not disclosed plans for the relay.

The 21-year-old sprinter was expected to face Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in one of the most highly anticipated races of the Olympic track meet.

On Thursday, as reports swirled about her possible marijuana use, Richardson put out a tweet;

"I am human.”

Sha'Carri Richardson

On Friday, she went on TV and said she smoked marijuana as a way of coping with her mother’s recent death.

“I was definitely triggered and blinded by emotions, blinded by badness, and hurting, and hiding hurt,” she said on “Today.” “I know I can’t hide myself, so in some type of way, I was trying to hide my pain.”

Richardson had what could have been a three-month sanction reduced to one month because she participated in a counseling program.

After the London Olympics, international regulators relaxed the threshold for what constitutes a positive test for marijuana from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 150 ng/m. They explained the new threshold was an attempt to ensure that in-competition use is detected and not use during the days and weeks before competition.

Though there have been wide-ranging debates about whether marijuana should be considered a performance-enhancing drug, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency makes clear on its website that “all synthetic and naturally occurring cannabinoids are prohibited in-competition, except for cannabidiol (CBD),” a byproduct that is being explored for possible medical benefits.

While not weighing in on her prospects for the relays, USATF put out a Statement;

Sha’Carri Richardson’s situation is incredibly unfortunate and devastating for everyone involved. Athlete health and well-being continue to be one of USATF’s most critical priorities and we will work with Sha’Carri to ensure she has ample resources to overcome any mental health challenges now and in the future.

USA Track & Field

Richardson said if she’s allowed to run in the relay “I’m grateful, but if not, I’m just going to focus on myself.”

Her case is the latest in a number of doping-related embarrassments for U.S. track team. Among those banned for the Olympics are the reigning world champion at 100 meters, Christian Coleman, who is serving a suspension for missing tests, and the American record holder at 1,500 and 5,000 meters, Shelby Houlihan, who tested positive for a performance enhancer she blamed on tainted meat in a burrito.

Now, Richardson is out as well, denying the Olympics of a much-hyped race and an electric personality. She ran at the trials with flowing orange hair and long fingernails.

“To put on a face and go out in front of the world and hide my pain, who am I to tell you how to cope when you’re dealing with pain and struggles you’ve never had to experience before?” Richardson said.

SOURCE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Nbotee(m): 3:09pm On Jul 02, 2021
No wonder she sabi run fastest, the weed dey make her imagine say dog dey pursue am

243 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Megatrix: 3:35pm On Jul 02, 2021
American athletes and drugs. There is no top American athlete that is not on drugs.

37 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by AfroKnight: 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
angry

Silly athlete. She knew she had to be clean but stoners are a stubborn set of people. This is on her.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
Youths,

SAY NO TO DRUGS.

SAY NO TO SMOKING.

SAY NO TO excessive DRINKING.

They all combine to kill you before your time.

We Rise.

She tested positive at the Olympic trials and so her result is erased.
Fourth-place finisher Jenna Prandini is expected to get Richardson’s spot in the 100.
And the 4th became the first!
What a wonderful God she serves!

When God blow your whistle,
Even if you no wear Jersey but na wrapper u tie and slippers u wear,
you go still play for the match,

Dem MANNA say so!

neyyoh:

Giving them advice is a wasted effort, when they start dropping dead in huge numbers , they'll learn.
Well God knows,
#WeDidOurPart

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Dailymice: 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
shocked
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by dynicks(m): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
grin
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by ZUKKYY(m): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by braveboy64(m): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
This generation and drug Sha, Onana too is currently chilling somewhere embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Bayaar02(m): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
Jah sitteth in Mt Zion!.

2 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Cof1ex(m): 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
Na because say them catch you, you com turn to human.,...
Na alien you be before?

16 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by temitope27(m): 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
Onigbo somebody

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
She don miss big opportunity now because of drugs.

Say No to hard drugs.

3 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by JBArokonkwo1(m): 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
That's how one day we will see a news headline saying 'Nairalander,Slowomirr to miss heaven and hell because of marijuana'

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by KingAzari: 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
Ordinary igbo?

Why? How?

But igbo is not a drug na... which kain wahala be this?

Slawomirr wayasay?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by BUSHHUNTER: 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
Marijuana that Nigerian policemen always take before hitting the road

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by mzBEAM(f): 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
post=103297672:
Reading

TRASH

16 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by CrazyCrane: 4:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
You'll be fine.

2 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by 4tomandchi: 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2021
No sign of regrets in her comment she should be handed a life ban already.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2021
Nbotee:
No wonder she sabi run fastest, the weed dey make her imagine say dog dey pursue am
lol
grin

1 Like

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Numerouno94(m): 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2021
sad
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2021
Would have spit out my mind but I've got sins hanging on my neck..

All the best

5 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by UniqueO(m): 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2021
U dey run and on drugs.... shocked

She's playing with cardiac arrest

1 Like

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:41pm On Jul 02, 2021
JBArokonkwo1:
That's how one day we will see a news headline saying 'Nairalander,Slawormirr to miss heaven and hell because of marijuana'

Slawormirr to miss heaven and hell'
Maybe na for ur yard he go come live later nah!
Oshisko.
Una just sabi type rubbish for dis forum sha.
Make una dey see Jesus assistant ooo, wey sabi who dey go heaven or hell fire! !

November24:
She lost her mum weeks ago.
Oh nooooo,
So sad.
We share her pains!
Amaka just told us this 2 hours ago,
What a sad twist to the news.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by gasparpisciotta: 4:41pm On Jul 02, 2021
Can we blame village people?
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Mikael0407(m): 4:41pm On Jul 02, 2021
shocked
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by lagusboyyy(m): 4:42pm On Jul 02, 2021
All these oyinbos and their strange rules:

You eat soup that contain slight banned substance,na ban.

You take medicine that contain small substance,na ban.
They prevented Semenya from competing because of God given homones.
Yet they want to allow man made/artificial transgendered(sic) people.

It is well.

5 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by PacificRim: 4:42pm On Jul 02, 2021
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Jack14(m): 4:42pm On Jul 02, 2021
Michael Phelps comes to mind
Dude also texted positive to marijuana but he still participate at the Olympics

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Juventus Plan To Erect Cristiano Ronaldo Statues So Fans Can Take Selfies / Rohr: "Nigerian Players Lie About Their Age, That's Why I Hardly Invite Them" / Reviews Of Ibrahim Said’s Hat-trick In FIFA U-17 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.