Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,605 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:36 AM

Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics (31526 Views)

Pogba Tests Positive For Testosterone, Provisionally Suspended, risks 4-year ban / Luigi Sartor Arrested For Growing 106 Marijuana Plants At Home / Daniele Rugani Tests Positive For Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Calitoscassius(m): 6:09pm On Jul 02, 2021
She is a junkie, she looks like a junkie, good riddance to bad rubbish! Infact, all adem negroes are junkies.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 6:10pm On Jul 02, 2021
Afriqan:

Thanks for understanding my point. There's no big deal about her taking cannabis other than just moral or ethical reasons. I think a fine would have been better.

I don't wanna believe there's a racist undertone to this, but it's super unnecessary.
I agree cannabis is not a performance enhancer but the rule is what it is and the correct thing is to seek to change the rule if one disagrees.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Reference(m): 6:11pm On Jul 02, 2021
That is why I just do not like individual sports. The effects of cheating are just too pronounced. In teams sports enhanced performances by one, two or three participants will always be moderated by average or poor performances by other team mates but one on one contests for individual accolades, medals or titles holds very little excitement for me.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 02, 2021
aribisala0:
I agree cannabis is not a performance enhancer but the rule is what it is and the correct thing is to seek to change the rule if one disagrees.

A fine would have been in order instead of preventing her from going to the Olympics.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 6:29pm On Jul 02, 2021
Afriqan:

A fine would have been in order instead of preventing her from going to the Olympics.
I do not think the rules are made after the offence.

Objectivity means regardless of my attitude to the rule. The rule must be obeyed.
If the rules allow a fine OK. One needs to be familiar with the details of the case and the rules to make that recommendation.
If she is given a fine that would apply across board and there is no deterrent. That would amount to a back door approval for cannabis
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 6:31pm On Jul 02, 2021
Reference:
That is why I just do not like individual sports. The effects of cheating are just too pronounced. In teams sports enhanced performances by one, two or three participants will always be moderated by average or poor performances by other team mates but one on one contests for individual accolades, medals or titles holds very little excitement for me.
Do you know that after the Nigeria -Argentina game in 1994 Maradona tested positive for cocaine
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 02, 2021
aribisala0:
I do not think the rules are made after the offence.

Objectivity means regardless of my attitude to the rule. The rule must be obeyed.
If the rules allow a fine OK. One needs to be familiar with the details of the case and the rules to make that recommendation.
If she is giving a fine that would apply across board and there is no deterrent. That would amount to a back door approval for cannabis

I am also a staunch follower of laid down rules, but the truth is that judgements could be subjective at times and factors like race and sport politics are real. She has admitted her wrong and took the punishment like a queen, but I still maintain that a fine would have been in order... Just a personal opinion.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 6:38pm On Jul 02, 2021
Afriqan:

I am also a staunch follower of laid down rules, but the truth is that judgements could be subjective at times and factors like race and sport politics are real. She has admitted her wrong and took the punishment like a queen, but I still maintain that a fine would have been in order... Just a personal opinion.
Do the rules permit a fine? That is the issue, Not what you maintain, With due respect
Even if the rules allow a fine you have to do things like beg , apologize etc Did she show contrition? Did she appeal against the ruling.

If a fine is in order as you say then everyone who can afford the fine goes scot free. I wonder what happens to those who cannot pay? If we do not think cannabis should be banned then the correct thing is to seek to change the rule.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 02, 2021
aribisala0:
Do the rules permit a fine? That is the issue, Not what you maintain, With due respect
Even if the rules allow a fine you have to do things like beg , apologize etc Did she show contrition? Did she appeal against the ruling.

If a fine is iin order as you say then a fine would be in order and everyone who can afford the fine goes scot free. I wonder what happens to those who cannot pay? If we do not think cannabis should be banned then the correct thing is to seek to change the rule.

Apply more energy into understanding texts instead of trying to emphasize adherence to laid down rules.

I said it was only my opinion and that alone should make u understand that whatever rules are in place probably need to be amended. That's all. Save urself the stress jare! tongue
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 6:58pm On Jul 02, 2021
Afriqan:

Apply more energy into understanding texts instead of trying to emphasize adherence to laid down rules.

I said it was only my opinion and that alone should make u understand that whatever rules are in place probably need to be amended. That's all. Save urself the stress jare! tongue

Do no tell me what to do. You have your opinion I have mine. I am not telling you what to do .

At no point did you address me to say "it is only my opinion and rules need to be amended"
That is untrue
Adherence to rules in this instance is important because the rules have to be seen to apply equally otherwise all kinds of legal issues will arise .If the rules today allow the discretion for a fine that would be OK in my opinion if not then I would nota agree
I think we can agree that perhaps there should be a consideration for whether cannabis should be unbanned in the future
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Reference(m): 6:58pm On Jul 02, 2021
aribisala0:
Do you know that after the Nigeria -Argentina game in 1994 Maradona tested positive for cocaine

Do you think it made any significant difference to the outcome of the match.
We lost due to sloppy play and juvenile defensive errors.
Didn't take our chances as well.
Maradona himself was not in his A game either.

Watching the Euros as we have seen so far, it is hard to tell who's performances are enhanced and how that has affected any single game.
And I suppose that in teams sports athletes have to deploy multiple skillsets to achieve the success that any particular drug can offer.

Soccer for instance requires stamina and endurance which goes contrary to speed and reflexes, then you need concentration and dexterity. All these require different classes of performance enhancing medications which quite often are counter active.

So soccer players may and do take illegal drugs but the effects on their performances are not significant to their qualities on the pitch in any one game in my opinion.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 7:04pm On Jul 02, 2021
Reference:

Do you think it made any significant difference to the outcome of the match.
We lost due to sloppy play and juvenile defensive errors.
Didn't take our chances as well.
Maradona himself was not in his A game either.
That is your opinion and I am sure there are others. Objectively who knows. ?

The question is if one player in a team tests positive and they win a fixture should the win stand?

It is an interesting debate. Opinions remain opinions, nothing more and the market is full of millions
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 7:16pm On Jul 02, 2021
She is not "banned" from contesting in the Olympics but probably won't contest.
The issue is that her qualification time at the trials is expunged because she tested positive after the event.
As a punishment she was suspended and the suspension will end before the Olympics so theoretically she could still contest but I doubt it.
I know that medals have been taken from individuals and reawarded because of drug test results but I do not know if this applies to cannabis. Anyway legally it is complex as the other athletes at the trial where she tested positive might have genuine legal grievances
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Reference(m): 7:20pm On Jul 02, 2021
aribisala0:
That is your opinion and I am sure there are others. Objectively who knows. ?

The question is if one player in a team tests positive and they win a fixture should the win stand?

It is an interesting debate. Opinions remain opinions, nothing more and the market is full of millions

No, I am not giving a judgement call, just an opinion. All drug cheats should be sanctioned in all sports to make for fair play. That is critical to the credibility of the huge enterprise of sports.

But what I am saying is that the effects of one single dirty athlete is far more significant to the outcome of individual sport than a team sport.

The 100m dash was one of my favourites, the only highlight of the entire Olympics in my opinion back then until the Ben Johnson saga which left a scar in my heart and completely put me off athletics and then stories began to emerge years later that Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson and other storied names were not entirely clean and you just sit and wonder at the deception.

Today a race is run and then you have to wait for the mother of all VAR calls to be sure someone you cheered is still champion days, weeks, months or even years later and that his titles and medals can be vanquished even after his death is just off putting for me.

Sorry, my Olympics will be about team sports, the soccer, basketball, volleyball and one or two other, but athletics, cycling, swimming, weightlifting, forget it. They are practically all on drugs awaiting VAR.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Djamel(m): 7:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
Mannabbqisgay:
The most interesting part was that before this revelation we where told not to judge her looks (weird hairdo, long fingernails, eyelashes etc). Now we'd judge her for being a drug dealer grin

Fact is only the best of us can conveniently pull off an exterior that's completely different from who/what we really are

Who smoke Igbo finish no be to go Tiff? Dem dey smoke Igbo go church? grin

Lol
So if person smoke Igbo, the default setting na to go steal??
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Reference(m): 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2021
aribisala0:
She is not "banned" from contesting in the Olympics but probably won't contest.
The issue is that her qualification time at the trials is expunged because she tested positive after the event.
As a punishment she was suspended and the suspension will end before the Olympics so theoretically she could still contest but I doubt it.
I know that medals have been taken from individuals and re awarded because of drug test results but I do not know if this applies to cannabis. Anyway legally it is complex as the other athletes at the trial where she tested positive might have genuine legal grievances

But if her qualification time is expunged then what is the basis of her participation even if her ban is lifted on time. Doesn't her name automatically drop to the bottom of the list or will another trial be conducted for her specifically and what effect will her participation have on the morale of the team particularly clean athletes denied a place.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by AFRICANJAMAICA: 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2021
Megatrix:
American athletes and drugs. There is no top American athlete that is not on drugs.

Ganja is not a drug.
Is a life saver.

Rasta say so

2 Likes

Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 02, 2021
aribisala0:

Do no tell me what to do. You have your opinion I have mine. I am not telling you what to do .

At no point did you address me to say "it is only my opinion and rules need to be amended"
That is untrue
Adherence to rules in this instance is important because the rules have to be seen to apply equally otherwise all kinds of legal issues will arise .If the rules today allow the discretion for a fine that would be OK in my opinion if not then I would nota agree
I think we can agree that perhaps there should be a consideration for whether cannabis should be unbanned in the future

LoL... U have energy sha. Bye jare!
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by atonement12: 8:20pm On Jul 02, 2021
Megatrix:
American athletes and drugs. There is no top American athlete that is not on drugs.
...and their hypocritical federation will be shouting: "Ban Russia, Ban Russia!"
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by aribisala0(m): 8:45pm On Jul 02, 2021
Reference:

But if her qualification time is expunged then what is the basis of her participation even if her ban is lifted on time. Doesn't her name automatically drop to the bottom of the list or will another trial be conducted for her specifically and what effect will her participation have on the morale of the team particularly clean athletes denied a place.
Valid questions for those who have to choose a team .
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by YoungAncient1: 8:52pm On Jul 02, 2021
The easiest excuse: I am human, he that is without sin should cast the 1st stone.
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Honesty36(m): 9:31pm On Jul 02, 2021
MARIJUANA

The Jesus Christ we truly love but disrespect

Lights up my kpoli in peace
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by milkywaves(m): 10:44pm On Jul 02, 2021
Better for her because Shelly-Ann of Jamaica would have thrashed her record.

Pls contact us for your Business Plans ( 08099101941) Watsap Only. Tanx
Re: Sha’Carri Richardson Tests Positive For Marijuana, To Miss Olympics by Thanos(m): 10:57pm On Jul 02, 2021
Mannabbqisgay:
The most interesting part was that before this revelation we where told not to judge her looks (weird hairdo, long fingernails, eyelashes etc). Now we'd judge her for being a drug dealer grin

Fact is only the best of us can conveniently pull off an exterior that's completely different from who/what we really are

Who smoke Igbo finish no be to go Tiff? Dem dey smoke Igbo go church? grin

As in eh, I saw her pictures all over LinkedIn with people citing her as an example as to why you don't judge a book by it's cover. Now I wonder what those people would say. Funny enough,she is not even apologising for the desecration the one golden rule of athletics. Mama is saying you are no better than I am so you are in no position to pass judgement on me. Take this as a lesson. Man can and would always fail/disappoint you. Only Jesus walked this earth without sin and blemish. He is the only one you should look up to.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AFCON 2021: Ivory Coast Vs Algeria (4 - 1) On 20th January 2022 / #10YearsChallenge: Chichi Igbo Shares Throwback Photo / Arsenal Vs Chelsea: Two Fans Injured In Clashes Ahead Of Europa League (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.