Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry (38695 Views)

My Fiancee Doesn't Want To Court Marriage (registry) / FG Debunks Reports That Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Are False / All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Niorte: 6:00pm On Jul 02, 2021
Actually it was Elsy who handled my marriage notification.

Her name should not have been mentioned.

It was written BOLDLY that marriage processing is done ONLINE.

The fact that you pay for it means that you want the person to help you.

After paying Elsy 25K, I wanted to pay her for helping out too...but of course my wife stopped me. She had already gained 10K from us.

Please investigate Passport office too, they are worse off.

1 Like

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Kccheechy(m): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2021
It's so unfortunate. You see people who die untimely and terrible anyhow deaths, if you check their life history, majority are people like these officials to make money by frustrating people.

1 Like

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Fejimummy: 6:10pm On Jul 02, 2021
October last year when I got married there I had to pick a quarrel with the officiating minister because my husband was just dropping money everywhere only for her to demand compulsory 3k before giving us our certificate , omo if you see the way I para en even my father in-law was proud of me sef. we ended up giving her 1200 but e the thing really pain me sha after paying 25k for the whole process at first then they started pinching our pockets again... Very greedy people

4 Likes

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by pat077: 6:15pm On Jul 02, 2021
This is Nigeria......
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Prophet777: 6:22pm On Jul 02, 2021
A well done job, kudos to the reporter. What a detailed and professional delivery. The report is still an understatement out of the huge attrocities and corruption going on in Ikoyi registry. After I had made my all payments including several bribes. I was still delayed to pay another N5000 bribe before I was attended to.

Once you registered online, you have automatically becomes their enemy.

Delayed tactics is what they are using to extort innocent citizens.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by BlueDragonttess(m): 6:25pm On Jul 02, 2021
High courts sef dy fraud

I registered for affidavit; I paid ₦500

I became furious when a receipt of ₦100 was written in my front.

Corruption in the nooks and crannies of this dying country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by jaxxy(m): 6:32pm On Jul 02, 2021
It’s all part of the exploitation in the system.
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Blackdisciple(m): 6:41pm On Jul 02, 2021
Thieves....
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by DAVE5(m): 6:45pm On Jul 02, 2021
ednut1:
You must not marry at ikoyi. Nigerians and stupidity tho. See end result

Thank goodness u b Nigerian, ur stupidity still dey train for gym
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by ednut1(m): 6:46pm On Jul 02, 2021
DAVE5:

Thank goodness u b Nigerian, ur stupidity still dey train for gym
i still be Nigerian na, and I no go marry for ikoyi, ikotun or ejigbo registry is ok grin
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Rexnegro(m): 6:48pm On Jul 02, 2021
queenfav:
This is for those who want to snap picture beside that their green signboard.I got married in 2018 at a marriage registry in a small town in Delta state.We paid just the official fees of 12000 naira at the bank.The affidavit of bachelorhood and all that was done at a Court in d same town for less than 2000.No extra bribe or dash was asked for.They only requested we buy 1 crate of coke or fanta,1 bottle of groundnut,2 packs of cabin biscuit to enable them celebrate with us on the wedding day.We got our Marriage certificate the same day and the wedding was even a very memorable one.We were counselled extensively on marriage in a way that was very realistic and practical.
My advice is that people in Lagos should bone them!Na d same marriage certificate when dem dey give for ikoyi,dem give me for the local town when i marry.Go mowe or Ajah marriage registry if you must!Free them at ikoyi,they will adjust when boycotted.
So true super true infact awesome true ....

1 Like

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by queenfav(f): 6:49pm On Jul 02, 2021
petitejolie:
but for couples that want to travel nko. It looks like they recognize marriage certificate from this ikoyi registry more
Na d same thing bro.I have used mine to do my international passport change of name with immigration and had no issues.

That was how people were telling me to go to NPC office to get birth certificate for my daughter.My neighbor advised me to go to a health center near my house,that NPC had a stand there.I got the official govt birth certificate for just 500 naira there and it didn't take up to 20 mins

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by pocohantas(f): 7:11pm On Jul 02, 2021
ednut1:
i still be Nigerian na, and I no go marry for ikoyi, ikotun or ejigbo registry is ok grin

I thought embassies only accept certificates from Federal registries. I was thinking that is why everyone gathers at Ikoyi.

3 Likes

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by ednut1(m): 7:13pm On Jul 02, 2021
pocohantas:

I thought embassies only accept certificates from Federal registries. I was thinking that is why everyone gathers at Ikoyi.
typical Nigerian fallacy. People who married in enugu or borno no dey relocate abroad with their local registry. We just like follow follow in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by pocohantas(f): 7:15pm On Jul 02, 2021
ednut1:
typical Nigerian fallacy. People who married in enugu or borno no dey relocate abroad with their local registry. We just like follow follow in Nigeria

I don’t know, na why I dey ask.

Shebi we dey discuss as friends. Why you wan change am for me? grin
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by queenfav(f): 7:19pm On Jul 02, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

On point. Did mine in church and was given the same marriage certificate issued by Ikoyi (So sure because I was even involved in the church licence renewal for conducting marriage as my marriage fall within the same period)
I went to Ikoyi to request for notification abi Na permit to take to church, they were requesting for 35k(same fee with those collecting the certificate from them), I just talk to the pastor in charge to ask how should I go about the permit, he said I can get it from any local government, most especially where I reside or where the church is, I just Waka go the LGA where the church is, everything cost less than 11k including, Oya celebrate for us(only 1person requested for this).
We even overpaid one of the fee, we were told it's 2, ₦5500 during application, ₦5000 when the notification is out, when we got there, the lady just told us, Oya go and pay ₦8500, she mistook us for someone else that wants to conduct theirs at the LGA, so when the error was discovered, they collected our receipt, gave it to a lady and the lady followed us to all offices we passed through (3) to inform them of the error so they can easily correct it when someone else is making similar payment and we can get our refund.
We got our refund when we went for the notification permit without stress.
All federal government issued marriage certificate is valid irrespective of where the marriage is conducted.
We got
Many don't know this, that's why they are rushing to ikoyi
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:21pm On Jul 02, 2021
When my friend got married at Ikoyi registry, they were made to pay 30k for the photos by the court photographer.

They weren't allowed to bring their own photographer.
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by edoairways: 7:24pm On Jul 02, 2021
murphyibiam15:

As usual, una go leave the oppressors to blame the oppressed just as the problem isn't fulani herdsmen but the farmers that allowed themselves to be killed embarassed
The oppressed allowed it in the first place
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by CUMIN: 7:25pm On Jul 02, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
Afonjas cheesy grin

Chasing money while their fugitive leader is wanted dead or alive. Igboho will be shot on sight! No story

At least your own lion have been tamed by the zoo keeper. cheesy grin grin
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by murphyibiam15(m): 7:26pm On Jul 02, 2021
edoairways:

The oppressed allowed it in the first place
Yen yen yen yen yen, gerrout, as if you're not part of the oppressed public, self hate
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Gjmff: 7:35pm On Jul 02, 2021
Really
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Simpubozz(m): 8:08pm On Jul 02, 2021
Lol.. you didn’t even talk about civil defense guys there and those werey wey dey park cars. You must drop something for Every personnel there if you don’t wanna be frustrated.

1 Like

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Solidkay(m): 8:11pm On Jul 02, 2021
DoggoneDogg:
Afonjas cheesy grin

Chasing money while their fugitive leader is wanted dead or alive. Igboho will be shot on sight! No story

Truth is nobody cares if he's dead or alive
Nigerians has been reduced to scavengers
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by blackboy(m): 8:14pm On Jul 02, 2021
EFCC wont see this. No arrest nor prosecution will take place.
Transfer will be done and the scam will kwontinue.
EFCC should be going after government workers more because the corrupt ones are saboteurs and enemies of the country.
Government worker whose salary is less than N150k is buying houses around the country, sending their wives anf children abroad for holidays and children schooling abroad. EFCC kwontinue chasing only yahoo boys.

1 Like

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by REALretep(m): 8:18pm On Jul 02, 2021
Hmmmmh
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by ProfitDomain(m): 8:24pm On Jul 02, 2021
Can someone please investigate Passport Office too, Those people extort people like mad as if they are competing with World bank
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by NoToPile: 8:26pm On Jul 02, 2021
Even before they stated that its now 15,000 naira from 21k.
Peeps have always paid 31k, I paid 31k few years back. The excuse they gave then was that its was a new type of certificate, I think that's when they changed from the plain paper to the embossed one.

Yeye people. All of them there are involved.
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by OlujobaSamuel: 9:21pm On Jul 02, 2021
queenfav:
Na d same thing bro.I have used mine to do my international passport change of name with immigration and had no issues.

That was how people were telling me to go to NPC office to get birth certificate for my daughter.My neighbor advised me to go to a health center near my house,that NPC had a stand there.I got the official govt birth certificate for just 500 naira there and it didn't take up to 20 mins
I got baby's birth certificate this year at the PHC in my area for ₦400 sef
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by queenfav(f): 9:30pm On Jul 02, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

I got baby's birth certificate this year at the PHC in my area for ₦400 sef
u see, these things it's to do your research.They are sometimes not as hard as people potray it.
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by DrFunmisticGlow: 9:42pm On Jul 02, 2021
KosoMo:
Local Government marriage certificate also valid anywhere... Wonder why the rush to Ikoyi.
can local government marriage certificate also be valid for visa purposes?
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by olancho: 9:48pm On Jul 02, 2021
I don't know why people are so daft, I told my friends who got married to abroad wives that they can register in any local that it is recognised, one did at Isolo while the other guy did at Festac both got their visas to UK and America.i feel sorry for couples anytime I pass Alfred Rilwan, U see than in suits and wedding gown. Ignorance is a disease.

3 Likes

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by OlujobaSamuel: 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2021
queenfav:
u see, these things it's to do your research.They are sometimes not as hard as people potray it.
I don't rush to do things as others, I tried to seek for alternate options, as most times, bandwagon effect affect our decision making process and increases cost unduly.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lockdown Could Lead To 7 Million Unintended Pregnancies - UN / Calabar Lady Loses 2 Kids In Fire Outbreak After Sneaking Out To Meet Boyfriend. / Couple Celebrate Over 50 Years Of Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.