Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry (38701 Views)

My Fiancee Doesn't Want To Court Marriage (registry) / FG Debunks Reports That Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Are False / All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by OlujobaSamuel: 10:06pm On Jul 02, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
can local government marriage certificate also be valid for visa purposes?
Yes, it is. The issue some States had with the FG then was that they wanted to regulate marriage in their state, while FG says it is the one solely in charge of Marriage Registration according to the marriage act.
As at today, the issue has been reasonably resolved, LGA, Religious organisations and any other relevant group can now issue a marriage certificate on behalf of the FG. The group only need to get a licence from the ministry of interior. The certificate given to you is in no way different from the one at Ikoyi or Abuja.
The certificate is 3copies, you get one, the issuing body gets one, then the 3rd is left attached to the booklet, after exhausting it, it is returned to the ministry of interior through the marriage registry.
So where ever you received your marriage certificate, it will definitely end up with the FG

5 Likes

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by saintol(m): 10:14pm On Jul 02, 2021
And the most annoying thing is that most of them will either be going to church or mosque. It is hardly to really see a godly person in this Nigeria. Everyone is after money.

3 Likes

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by wonder233: 10:19pm On Jul 02, 2021
Why won't they be extorted? Everyone wants to snap picture with "Ikoyi marriage registry" signboard. All the people trooping from far and wide as if it's a pilgrimage destination all have marriage registries in their various areas, but they won't utilise them. Bandwagon is the biggest problem of Nigerians.
Amotolongbo:
Yes o

They too dey extort for there.

The fee on middays are lower than on Saturday and Monday(sic)

After paying such high fee for the certificate and having to tip the officials and workers there during the conduct of the wedding, one would still meet some beggars outside mobbing one.

The amount being generated monthly in Ikoyi registry is more than what some states monthly IGR.

2 Likes

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by pek(m): 10:54pm On Jul 02, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:

I got baby's birth certificate this year at the PHC in my area for ₦400 sef
Birth and death certificate from NPC are free.
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by ibinaboonline: 11:00pm On Jul 02, 2021
I hope this was published in a newspaper, not just naira land.
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by olympio(m): 11:39pm On Jul 02, 2021
Well this Ikoyi registry people are the biggest thief of all time. My wedding was last year 4th July. When my wife when to register we paid 37k. Now this was February,2020. They said cause of COVID-19 the registry wasn’t open so we either wait or pay for them to come to the house. We paid and 50k for them to come to the house. Paid and 10k for their Uber. I have all evidence of the woman that works there that we transferred the money to.
We are just a joke of a country if we never think corruption can ever stop in Nigeria. We spent 100k on court last year. All in the name of COVID-19

1 Like

Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by DAVE5(m): 11:57pm On Jul 02, 2021
ednut1:
i still be Nigerian na, and I no go marry for ikoyi, ikotun or ejigbo registry is ok grin

Lol

Unserious element
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by OlujobaSamuel: 6:51am On Jul 03, 2021
pek:
Birth and death certificate from NPC are free.
Yes, but they won't give it to you for free, they will want you to give them something. Some even collect as much as ₦2500 to issue it.
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by dwilliams: 9:17am On Jul 03, 2021
I have been asking this same questions for months, there is a registry less than 20 minutes drive from where I reside, I had to go there twice to make inquiries and they even showed me the same marriage certificate which also Carries the federal government tag infact its issued by the Federal government not by the state or Local government, its also as valid as Ikoyi but I was not really satisfied as I am not based in the country ...

I came to the country specifically for the court wedding to facilitate visa processing for my spouse, it took me three weeks to make inquiries and at the end of the day I settled for Ikoyi which is a 4hr drive from my residence...

I just had to do it so I wont be in a position to repeat the process all over again which will me more strenuous and time consuming for me as everyone kept on saying Ikoyi would be safer and I had nothing to loose...

I wish I had stumbled on this thread a month ago....

The hype about Ikoyi is because it Carries that Tag of a Federal government Registry
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:36am On Jul 03, 2021
queenfav:
This is for those who want to snap picture beside that their green signboard.I got married in 2018 at a marriage registry in a small town in Delta state.We paid just the official fees of 12000 naira at the bank.The affidavit of bachelorhood and all that was done at a Court in d same town for less than 2000.No extra bribe or dash was asked for.They only requested we buy 1 crate of coke or fanta,1 bottle of groundnut,2 packs of cabin biscuit to enable them celebrate with us on the wedding day.We got our Marriage certificate the same day and the wedding was even a very memorable one.We were counselled extensively on marriage in a way that was very realistic and practical.
My advice is that people in Lagos should bone them!Na d same marriage certificate when dem dey give for ikoyi,dem give me for the local town when i marry.Go mowe or Ajah marriage registry if you must!Free them at ikoyi,they will adjust when boycotted.

Exactly people just assumed na only ikoyi own de valid... When crowd reduce eye go clear plus govt authorities need to monitor these guys...
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Arizona5(m): 12:03pm On Jul 03, 2021
I paid over 45000 because the notice was 3 weeks so I was told if I want it that day then I need to pay extra charges with Abeg
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Babalola0920: 4:50pm On Jul 03, 2021
WE NEED CERTIFICATE TO ASCERTAIN OUR BIRTH, MARRIAGE, DEATH, EDUCATION ETC
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Jesufemmy(m): 1:32pm On Jul 04, 2021
queenfav:
This is for those who want to snap picture beside that their green signboard.I got married in 2018 at a marriage registry in a small town in Delta state.We paid just the official fees of 12000 naira at the bank.The affidavit of bachelorhood and all that was done at a Court in d same town for less than 2000.No extra bribe or dash was asked for.They only requested we buy 1 crate of coke or fanta,1 bottle of groundnut,2 packs of cabin biscuit to enable them celebrate with us on the wedding day.We got our Marriage certificate the same day and the wedding was even a very memorable one.We were counselled extensively on marriage in a way that was very realistic and practical.
My advice is that people in Lagos should bone them!Na d same marriage certificate when dem dey give for ikoyi,dem give me for the local town when i marry.Go mowe or Ajah marriage registry if you must!Free them at ikoyi,they will adjust when boycotted.
you have spoken well
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by extol1(m): 6:50pm On Jul 04, 2021
Sirpaul:
funny thing is, it won't make it stop.. some pay as much as 200k just to get a slot .. some peeps travel as far as Delta just to come and use Ikoyi registry WTH lipsrsealed
is there anything attached to the certificate in ikoyi registry. I don't know why we just love to waste money in Nigeria. see a lot of stress from Delta to Lagos
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Misscaring(f): 8:35am On Jul 27, 2022
olancho:
I don't know why people are so daft, I told my friends who got married to abroad wives that they can register in any local that it is recognised, one did at Isolo while the other guy did at Festac both got their visas to UK and America.i feel sorry for couples anytime I pass Alfred Rilwan, U see than in suits and wedding gown. Ignorance is a disease.

Please is Ikeja local government recognized too for registry? Don't want to go through the stress of Ikoyi .
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Misscaring(f): 8:41am On Jul 27, 2022
Jesufemmy:
you have spoken well

Ikeja local government nko?
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by Misscaring(f): 8:44am On Jul 27, 2022
suco01:
Ikeja own is worse

Really, planning in going there oi.Please tell me more
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by mightykay(m): 10:30am On Jul 27, 2022
This is serious
Re: Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry by olancho: 7:47pm On Jul 27, 2022
Misscaring:

Please is Ikeja local government recognized too for registry? Don't want to go through the stress of Ikoyi .
Yes it is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Calabar Lady Loses 2 Kids In Fire Outbreak After Sneaking Out To Meet Boyfriend. / Couple Celebrate Over 50 Years Of Marriage / My Wife Left The House Because I Confronted Her Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.