Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan (2442 Views)

Goodluck Mounts Pressure On Reuben To Quit Bayelsa Governorship Race To Pave Way / Tinubu Mounts Pressure On Buhari / Northern Caucus Asks Kwankwaso To Step Down | Primaries To Hold In Edo Or Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by zstranger: 2:42am On May 10, 2011
Speakership: Northern caucus backs South West • Mounts pressure on Jonathan
From FRANCIS AWOWOLE-BROWNE, Abuja

Sunday, May 8, 2011
As intrigues continue to play out in the zoning of national offices within the National Assembly, the Northern caucus is pushing for the retention of the Speakership position in the South-West.

But the development has pitched the northern members of the National Assembly against their South-Eastern colleagues. Presently, the northern caucus of both chambers is said to be mounting fresh pressure on President Jonathan not to succumb to the demand by the South-East lawmakers whose position is championed by their governors.

Sources revealed that the move by the northern lawmakers to back a South-West Speaker is meant to preserve the Senate Presidency in the North Central.

It was gathered that the Northern elements are raising the issue of religion as a key factor in balancing of power with argument that the Senate President would be a Christian, while the Speaker of the House of Representatives should be a Muslim as the scenario is presently.

Sunday Sun gathered that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leaders who attended the Obudu Retreat in Calabar, with President Jonathan and his Deputy, Namadi Sambo in attendance, had at the end held separate meetings with the President with a position that the party had concluded on the choice of South-West as custodian of the Speakership position and was wholly supported by the northern representatives at the retreat.

It was on that basis, according to those present, that the caucus was prevailed upon to zone the post of Deputy Speakership to the North-West against the initial consideration of North-East for the post.

Northern members of PDP who supported the South-West were said to have been emphatic that a male be equally picked from the zone as the next Speaker on the basis that Muslims generally would be more at home to work with a male Speaker rather than a female choice.

The religious consideration based on Islamic ethics was said to have been the reason the Caucus settled for Representative Muraina Ajiblola. Members of the caucus were said to have alluded to the past experience in the House in 2007 when the first ever Nigerian female Speaker, Patricia Etteh lost her job on a religion.

“Mr. President was informed that although the former Speaker, according to reports, lost the post on alleged granting of anticipatory approval on contracts for renovation of her official residence and that of the Deputy Speaker, the unexplained reason for her ouster from office was her Christian religious background”, the source explained.

Buttressing their claim, the group had also told President Jonathan that the same religious reason was responsible for non-consideration of the South-East for the post of Speaker.

Investigations have revealed that the northern members of PDP are taking further steps in proving the point they struck at Obudu by pledging support For Muraina after a meeting they held in Abuja last Friday night.

A principal official of the House who was at the meeting confided in Sunday Sun that the northern caucus in the House has resolved to support the lawmaker to be Speaker. The Principal Officer, who is a House Committee Chairman said the Speakership aspirant from Igboora, Oyo State has a track record that could fetch him the position.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by zstranger: 2:45am On May 10, 2011
http://odili.net/news/source/2011/may/8/508.html

May the union between the North and the SW last.

May we be friends for ever and ever

Just like we defeated Ndigbo in 1967, may we succeed together again and again

God bless the North

God Bless the SW

God bless a united North/SW

May God bless this union.

Anyone who is not happy with it can go hug the nearest transformer grin

I dey laugh oooooo
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Nobody: 2:52am On May 10, 2011
such a strong union between the north and the west will only tighten the union between the east and the south am sure you know the rest of the story.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Chyz2: 2:55am On May 10, 2011
DRlulu:

such a strong union between the north and the west will only tighten the union between the east and the south am sure you know the rest of the story.

Gbam! cheesy
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Nobody: 3:07am On May 10, 2011
I do not encourage this union. God forbid!
Unless the North is ready to change it's standards (i.e education, cease unnecessary killing, female empowerment, cease the Arabic ish etc).
If NIgeria wants to break apart, it'd be harder if a union between these two regions is established.

I see a union between the SW/NC or Middle belt/ N sha.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by koruji(m): 3:20am On May 10, 2011
The northern caucus is probably making its own political calculations - perhaps they will be looking for the SW support on another position. I'll be surprised if this is based on any intention to form a union with the SW.

The problem is that the SE wants to keep the Presidency and one of the most important National Assembly positions in the SS/SE while with no leadership representation of the SW at all. It just won't work that way as long as some zoning is still in place

SS-Presidency/NW-VP/NC-Senate Presidency/Speaker-SW/SGF-SE is how it will work.

Ileke-IdI:

I do not encourage this union. God forbid!
Unless the North is ready to change it's standards (i.e education, cease unnecessary killing, female empowerment, cease the Arabic ish etc).
If NIgeria wants to break apart, it'd be harder if a union between these two regions is established.

I see a union between the SW/NC or Middle belt/ N sha.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Obiagu1(m): 3:22am On May 10, 2011
koruji:

The northern caucus is probably making its own political calculations - perhaps they will be looking for the SW support on another position. I'll be surprised if this is based on any intention to form a union with the SW.

The problem is that the SE wants to keep the Presidency and one of the most important National Assembly positions in the SS/SE while with no leadership representation of the SW at all. It just won't work that way as long as some zoning is still in place

SS-Presidency/NW-VP/NC-Senate Presidency/Speaker-SE/SGF-SW is how it will work better.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Nobody: 3:24am On May 10, 2011
koruji:

I'm not speaking in terms of social or regional unity, but political unity.

No region can survive by itself, so an alliance must be formed with another group. Of course, North will expect the SW to scratch their back in return on a later date.

If the North does support the SW, who will get it at the end?

Explain the bolded a lil more, please.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by zstranger: 3:25am On May 10, 2011
koruji:

You also have to realize that all this crap by the SE is just for one purpose, to alienate the SW

Thats the point

Dora let the cat out the other day when he said that if elected, she would fight to keep the SW out of the senate presidency

The North and the SW have always worked together, we actually get along with the North than with any other group in Nigeria

I am not really surprised. I think with the North on our side, the speakership position will remain in the SW

Of course, this is politics, we have to repay them back.

But in all honesty, better go into an alliance with the North, than the SE.

I like them Hausas I no go lie.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by ektbear: 3:32am On May 10, 2011
zstranger:

You also have to realize that all this crap by the SE is just for one purpose, to alienate the SW

Thats the point

Dora let the cat out the other day when he said that if elected, she would fight to keep the SW out of the senate presidency
Indeed. That is pretty clearly the SE strategy. But we seem to be at least 3-4 steps ahead of them, fortunately.

The North and the SW have always worked together, we actually get along with the North than with any other group in Nigeria
Untrue. Before the first coup, it was North and East against West. Neither of them are our friends. . . both are our enemies, truth be told.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Obiagu1(m): 3:36am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Indeed. That is pretty clearly the SE strategy. But we seem to be at least 3-4 steps ahead of them, fortunately.
Untrue. Before the first coup, it was North and East against West. Neither of them are our friends. . . both are our enemies, truth be told.

We are just fighting for what is right. You can't give the leadership of a house to a minority with only 6 members whereas of the majority and a strong base of the party, the SE, is neglected.

If SE PDP members decamp to APGA, then the end of PDP is near.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by ektbear: 3:40am On May 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

We are just fighting for what is right. You can't give the leadership of a house to a minority with only 6 members whereas of the majority and a strong base of the party, the SE, is neglected.
There is no real rightness/wrongness associated with this stuff. . . just politics and horsetrading. SE doesn't have any real moral claim to the speaker position.

If SE PDP members decamp to APGA, then the end of PDP is near.
How so? Still a majority in the house and senate even w/o the SE zone, no?
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Obiagu1(m): 3:45am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

There is no real rightness/wrongness associated with this stuff. . . just politics and horsetrading. SE doesn't have any real moral claim to the speaker position.

We don't but we have to fight for what we think is fair.

ekt_bear:

That's what you'll not understand. SE is where PDP originated which you guys can argue till eternity.
If the SE abandon the PDP, there will be a chain reaction that the SS will abandon it too. SW already has gone to ACN and that means the PDP can hardly win any election.

They are being threatened by CPC and ANPP in the North.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:47am On May 10, 2011
Maybe the SE should abandon PDP.

And then the SS.

And then the North.

etc.

And let's see what happens.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by zstranger: 3:48am On May 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

We don't but we have to fight for what we think is fair.

That's what you'll not understand. [size=18pt]SE is where PDP originated which you guys can argue till eternity.[/size]
If the SE abandon the PDP, there will be a chain reaction that the SS will abandon it too. SW already has gone to ACN and that means the PDP can hardly win any election.

They are being threatened by CPC and ANPP in the North.

Ibo people and their delusions

Havent we gone through this already.

The PDP party was formed in the North, not in the SE

Gosh! What a set of dumbasses
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by jason123: 3:49am On May 10, 2011
The SW should not accept this "wonderful" gesture. Believe me, it comes at a price!!!!
If Igbos want Speaker or whatever, let them have it. What has the SW gained Abeg, let them have it.
Personally, I am just waiting to 2015 to see what will happen to Nigeria.
Between Fashola (SW), Chime (SE), Amechi (SS) or the North. Who will be our next!!!!
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by jason123: 3:49am On May 10, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Maybe the SE should abandon PDP.

And then the SS.

And then the North.

etc.

And let's see what happens.

Exactly what I said on the other thread before the Usual trolls came with their attacks.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Obiagu1(m): 3:50am On May 10, 2011
zstranger:

When I form a company with the Chinese, then a goon like you will come and say that it is a Chinese company.
I don't want to go into this, a beg.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by ektbear: 3:50am On May 10, 2011
SS would abandon PDP, despite the president being from there? Why? Because the SE abandoned it?  undecided

Are they fools?

Anyway, let's say SS and SE abandon it both. GEJ remains in PDP, but his support base has left him. Then the PDP becomes an almost entirely northern party.

How does that kill or punish the PDP?
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Obiagu1(m): 3:52am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

SS would abandon PDP, despite the president being from there? Why? Because the SE abandoned it?  undecided

Are they fools?

GEJ tenure might end in 2015 and what happens next?
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Nobody: 3:52am On May 10, 2011
zstranger:

What has the lie "SE is where PDP originated" gained them?

Is it not the same PDP that has "marginalized" them?

The same non performing, incompetent PDP party? Seriously, even if PDP originated in your region, is that sth to be proud abi?

The SW gave PDP it's power. . . . after SW dumped PDP, are they as powerful as before?
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Obiagu1(m): 3:53am On May 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What has the lie "SE is where PDP originated" gained them?

Is it not the same PDP that has "marginalized" them?

The same non performing, incompetent PDP party? Seriously, even if PDP originated in your region, is that sth to be proud abi?

PDP marginalised us because of OBJ! Get it?

I wish he just drop dead.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by ektbear: 3:54am On May 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

+1. Then they shouldn't complain if the PDP is screwing them over. After all, it is a SE party, roflmao

Obiagu1:

GEJ tenure might end in 2015 and what happens next?
So what? I guess I'm not following where this is going.

Obiagu1:

How is OBJ strong enough to marginalize you after joining your own party LMAO. Perhaps it isn't your party to begin with, eh?
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Chyz2: 3:55am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

A big chunk of the "majority" are from the SE. duh. If the SE leaves the opposition grows and PDP 's influence becomes weak.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by koruji(m): 3:55am On May 10, 2011
Of course, Ileke-Idi, I understand you were not talking about regional or social unity - that is actually desirable as the North get some fine babes up there (payback for that Ghana men are better note) grin grin grin. No worry though, SW babes remain the greatest, but I digress.

You are of course right in thinking that this may be about a North-SW alliance. Mine is a suggestion, which may be the wrong one, that the northern caucus (note I refered to the caucus because many times these people do not really represent their regions) are going for a more short-term political calculation.

As for the bolded this is what the SE wants:
SS-Presidency/NW-VP/NC-Senate Presidency/Speaker-SE/SGF-SW (see Obiagu's reply to that message) instead of my suggestion that it should be:
SS-Presidency/NW-VP/NC-Senate Presidency/Speaker-SW/SGF-SE . The first keeps the SW out of any leadership position in the NA.

The SGF really has no constitutional powers, and is merely the lap-dog of the President - that is what the SE wants the SW to have at the center. Jonathan got massive votes from the SW and PDP has SW members in the NA.

Ileke-IdI:

I'm not speaking in terms of social or regional unity, but political unity.

No region can survive by itself, so an alliance must be formed with another group. Of course, North will expect the SW to scratch their back in return on a later date.

If the North does support the SW, who will get it at the end?

Explain the bolded a lil more, please.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by jason123: 3:56am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Are they fools?

Anyway, let's say SS and SE abandon it both. GEJ remains in PDP, but his support base has left him. Then the PDP becomes an almost entirely northern party.

How does that kill the PDP?
Because the Sw already abandoned it, if the SE abandons, the SS will surely abandon it. But forget all bruhaha about SE=SS that has been created by the internet war lords.Although, I see this a very good political unity that is VERY beneficial but we in the SS make our independent decisions except when the "two" move to a particular direction.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Nobody: 3:57am On May 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

You "formed" a party yet you DO NOT have the power to  take control of it.
OBJ marginalized Nigeria, period. Not enough excuse for your impotency.

Wishing is not good enough. Grow some balls and take things into your own hands because the way I'm seeing it, OBJ will be "marginalizing" you till 2015.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by jason123: 3:58am On May 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

A very very very BAD MENTALITY!!!
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:58am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Are they fools?

How does that kill or punish the PDP?

The point is that PDP needs to be exposed as a Northern party, not a party of unity.

If all of the south leaves PDP, there's

1) a chance of a southern alliance (which could lead to meritocratic practices in many spheres of life being adhered to, if that alliance was to win)

2) a chance of the completely northern PDP weakening and fracturing along middle belt vs. core north lines, and the north being permanently weakened, or the middle belt might choose to align with one or all of the southern groups

3) a chance that if the southern alliance or the non-PDP parties are unable to beat the northern PDP, then the issue of the bogus northern population figures may be looked into and pressed by the southern groups. If this issue isn't rectified, perhaps it could be a good pretext for changing the power structure of the country to a more federal one, with more autonomy for different areas
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Obiagu1(m): 3:59am On May 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

How is OBJ strong enough to marginalize you after joining your own party LMAO

It's the same thing you'll not still understand. As the President, he became the leader of the party and with his hatred of the Igbo, he schemed and schemed to get us out of the main stream but we remained with PDP hoping for a change. Now that OBJ is no longer the President, he still influences PDP and GEJ. Was he not the person that banged his fist on the table while campaigning for the SW to retain the position of the Speaker? Without him, who is powerful enough in the SW to influence the PDP?

OBJ is the most powerful person in PDP, take it or leave it. His power can only be reduced if he has a problem with GEJ but being a clever man, he will avoid that and GEJ will always respect him and do his wish.
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by ektbear: 4:00am On May 10, 2011
Chyz*:

A big chunk of the "majority" are from the SE. duh. If the SE leaves the opposition grows and PDP 's influence becomes weak.

Do they lose their overwhelming majority even if all of the SE leave for APGA? No, they do not.

jason123:

Because the Sw already abandoned it, if the SE abandons, the SS will surely abandon it. But forget all bruhaha about SE=SS that has been created by the internet war lords.Although, I see this a very good political unity that is VERY beneficial but we in the SS make our independent decisions except when the "two" move to a particular direction.
LMAO. If my papa becomes president, I'm not leaving his party for anyone  grin

No chance of the SS leaving PDP while GEJ remains in office
Re: Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan by Nobody: 4:01am On May 10, 2011
koruji:

Of course, Ileke-Idi, I understand you were not talking about regional or social unity - that is actually desirable as the North get some fine babes up there (payback for that Ghana men are better note) grin grin grin. No worry though, SW babes remain the greatest, but I digress.

You are of course right in thinking that this may be about a North-SW alliance. Mine is a suggestion, which may be the wrong one, that the northern caucus (note I refered to the caucus because many times these people do not really represent their regions) are going for a more short-term political calculation.

As for the bolded this is what the SE wants:
SS-Presidency/NW-VP/NC-Senate Presidency/Speaker-SE/SGF-SW (see Obiagu's reply to that message) instead of my suggestion that it should be:
SS-Presidency/NW-VP/NC-Senate Presidency/Speaker-SW/SGF-SE . The first keeps the SW out of any leadership position in the NA.

The SGF really has no constitutional powers, and is merely the lap-dog of the President - that is what the SE wants the SW to have at the center. Jonathan got massive votes from the SW and PDP has SW members in the NA.

No prob, Ghanaian men still rox cool grin

Oh I see.

So if the North backs SW as the Speaker, who wins? Is the final decision based on who supports who?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ume Ezeoke Sept 8 1935- August 2 2011 / Hurray!!! Radio Biafra Will Resume Broadcast Today / How Safe Is Kano State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.