Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,699 members, 7,813,294 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

What Do You Think? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Do You Think? (1457 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 1:29pm On May 10, 2011
Hey everyone, I wanted to piggyback off of the video that Pweety4me posted with the angry brotha rambling about women >>> https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-662435.0.html

I came across an article on a Chicago based website that reminded me of the video. The particular line that caught my attention in the article was the part where the author writes "I remember being a little girl and ignoring the cat calls while I was walking to the store our out playing. It only takes so many times of hearing, "Well f_ _k you then!" or "B***h" before you figure out that maybe ignoring the problem won't make it go away. I learned to speak and be friendly (because God forbid my lack of acknowledgment be misconstrued as an overall dismissal of the BLACK MAN and I am the ANGRY BLACK WOMAN,oh no)." so my question to you all is based on the video that Pweety4me posted and the article, what's your take on this whole thing with men trying to "toast" women in the street?

By the way, here's a link to the article >>> http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/my-so-called-writers-life/2011/05/the-rose-that-grew-from-concrete-being-attractive-in-the-hood-is-a-gift-and-a-curse-i-say.html
Re: What Do You Think? by MrsChima(f): 2:39pm On May 10, 2011
They do not like to be rejected and if a woman doesn't say anything after a cat call then she is viewed as stuck up or a biatch. Some women just don't respond to stranger's cat calls. I guess the boys would never know huh?
Re: What Do You Think? by MrCork17: 2:43pm On May 10, 2011
***hmm, women topick undecided ***
Re: What Do You Think? by tosyne007(m): 2:58pm On May 10, 2011
though i hardly do such, i dont think i'ver ever done it anyway but the general notion dat ladies dat answer cat calls are seen to be cheap is wrong. There are so many relationships today that the parties involved got to knw themselves by meeting at parks, in a bus, on a train, on a plane and even on the streets.\

personally, i dont see anytin wrong with sayin hello to a lady that attracts my attention and if she refuses to answer me, i will move on. that doesnt mean i will think less of her. some ladies like it, some dont.

my advice is dat u ladies should be open-minded to cat calls cos u can never tell if the so-called mr right will resort to such tactics.

that's wat i thinnk.
Re: What Do You Think? by Pweety4me(f): 2:58pm On May 10, 2011
Hmmm this should be intresting. smiley
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 3:50pm On May 10, 2011
tosyne007:

though i hardly do such, i dont think i'ver ever done it anyway but the general notion dat ladies dat answer cat calls are seen to be cheap is wrong. There are so many relationships today that the parties involved got to knw themselves by meeting at parks, in a bus, on a train, on a plane and even on the streets.\

personally, i dont see anytin wrong with sayin hello to a lady that attracts my attention and if she refuses to answer me, i will move on. that doesnt mean i will think less of her. some ladies like it, some dont.

my advice is dat u ladies should be open-minded to cat calls cos u can never tell if the so-called mr right will resort to such tactics.

that's wat i thinnk.

For me, I try to be open minded but at times it feels like my open minded comes across as me being down for anything that comes my way. I'd prefer a simple hello or even a funny little pick up line as opposed to things like "Shawty", "Ayo slim", "Hey sexy", or "Can I holla at you for a minute?". Sometime you can tell right off the bat what a guy has in mind when he used such tactics. I've actually met some guys who've only smiled and that was enough to make me wanna talk to them. I just tell myself sometimes, "Ya never know".
Re: What Do You Think? by Igwe419: 4:00pm On May 10, 2011
Some women who wear provoking clothing, you can't treat them with respect, if a woman is showing her a55 all over the place you are supposed to greet how, in the South you don't hear men whistling to women from the Northern regions, but they whistle to women from southern regions why? because of appearance, some women demand respect for not showing themselves respect and then compl ain tongue

Igwe H.S.O.F.N
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 4:17pm On May 10, 2011
Igwe419:

Some women who wear provoking clothing, you can't treat them with respect, if a woman is showing her a55 all over the place you are supposed to greet  how, in the South you don't hear men whistling to women from the Northern regions, but they whistle to women from southern regions why? because of appearance, some women demand respect for not showing themselves respect and then compl ain tongue

Igwe H.S.O.F.N

Because a woman may be scantily clad doesn't mean she should be treated like rubbish.
Re: What Do You Think? by livedit(f): 4:18pm On May 10, 2011
I think regardless of how a person looks or what they are wearing rather it be male/female, that do not give anybody the right to disrespect them.  Although, it maybe true, most people will judge you on how you "present" yourself, and depending upon the morals of that individual that person just may get those "cat calls" and/or insulted if they do not respond back to them.  Frankly, it's nothing wrong with "admiring" the "view", but be respectful and tactful about it.  In this day in age, not everyone feel comfortable and/or "safe" with a stranger yelling out "cat calls" or approaching them.  Just like you have a freedom to speak, you also have a freedom not to speak.  So insulting someone does not give anyone the justification simply because this person don't "react" how you want them to.  Like someone mentioned earlier, if this intendent was non-responsive, then let it go and move on.  There are zillions more people in this world, so why waste your time and energy on this one person.  I've had men say "F-you then , " simply because I didn't stop or respond back.  I don't know you and if it's one thing I can't stand is: " A girl, let me talk to you".  Just a complete turn off.  I've had compliments thrown from men and I just smile and keep walking or doing what I'm doing.  Those with common sense get the point and move on.  Simple as that.  You can't "win" someone over by "cursing" them or being disrespectful.
Re: What Do You Think? by tosyne007(m): 4:33pm On May 10, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

For me, I try to be open minded but at times it feels like my open minded comes across as me being down for anything that comes my way. I'd prefer a simple hello or even a funny little pick up line as opposed to things like "Shawty", "Ayo slim", "Hey sexy", or "Can I holla at you for a minute?". Sometime you can tell right off the bat what a guy has in mind when he used such tactics. I've actually met some guys who've only smiled and that was enough to make me wanna talk to them. I just tell myself sometimes, "Ya never know".

i understand all u've said. some guys could be naughty really but it does not mean all guys are like that. i just pray u gals meet the right ones. moreover, i think i love your last line "Ya never know". that's pretty cool.

Igwe419:

Some women who wear provoking clothing, you can't treat them with respect, if a woman is showing her a55 all over the place you are supposed to greet how, in the South you don't hear men whistling to women from the Northern regions, but they whistle to women from southern regions why? because of appearance, some women demand respect for not showing themselves respect and then compl ain tongue

Igwe H.S.O.F.N

bro, cos some ladies dress indecently does not give u the right t molest, embarass or take advantage of them. that's wat make some ladies think men are animals. no matter ow a lady is dressed, she should still be approached in a gentle manner and not in an unruly behaviour.
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 4:38pm On May 10, 2011
tosyne007:

i understand all u've said. some guys could be naughty really but it does not mean all guys are like that. i just pray u guys meet the right ones. moreover, i think i love your last line "Ya never know". that's preety cool.

Trust me, I would never think all men are like that. Your obviously not like those men--I think we all [both men and women] need to keep an open mind with such things smiley
Re: What Do You Think? by Dsense(m): 4:44pm On May 10, 2011
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Do You Think? by Bitablet: 4:49pm On May 10, 2011
I remember watching this video of a few black men and a black girl. I think it was those spring breaks they have in Miami or something. The woman was walking down the street when this guy tried to toasted her but she was not interested and  she continued walking. The guy followed her and tried to tear off her dress and the poor girl just  got flogged on the floor.

Black men and their egos especially the ghetto/hoodlums are the ones who will try and embarrass a girl like that.
Re: What Do You Think? by hunkyjohn(m): 4:50pm On May 10, 2011
Women should be treated with respect. A lot of them have been abused and insulted too much hence the brick wall they put up some times. I wish every man could treat women right just like me.  cool
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 4:58pm On May 10, 2011
Bitablet:

I remember watching this video of a few black men and a black girl. I think it was those spring breaks they have in Miami or something. The woman was walking down the street when this guy tried to toasted her but she was not interested and  she continued walking. The guy followed her and tried to tear off her dress and the poor girl just  got flogged on the floor.

Black men and their egos especially the ghetto/hoodlums are the ones who will try and embarrass a girl like that.

Omg, I just saw something like that last week. There were some women walking along some crowded streets and the men on the street were touching the women all over their bodies and pulling them left and right. From the way everyone was dressed, I could tell that they were in a region that had either warm or hot weather. . . Anyway, one mega fool decided he wanted to show everyone that he was a man and grabbed on girl all over her body and the girl turned around hitting him and cursing him out and all the other guys just stood there laughing. Stuff like that makes me sick. What pissed me off even more is that a lot of those guys felt that they had the right to do what they were doing.
Re: What Do You Think? by tosyne007(m): 5:06pm On May 10, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Trust me, I would never think all men are like that. Your obviously not like those men--I think we all [both men and women] need to keep an open mind with such things smiley

yeah, we all need to.

Bitablet:

I remember watching this video of a few black men and a black girl. I think it was those spring breaks they have in Miami or something. The woman was walking down the street when this guy tried to toasted her but she was not interested and she continued walking. The guy followed her and tried to tear off her dress and the poor girl just got flogged on the floor.

i take exception to that. white men do that too. it's not only applicable to black men, i think it's more abt one's personality.

Inked_Nerd:

Omg, I just saw something like that last week. There were some women walking along some crowded streets and the men on the street were touching the women all over their bodies and pulling them left and right. From the way everyone was dressed, I could tell that the were in a region that had either warm or hot weather. . . Anyway, one mega fool decided he he wanted to show everyone that he was a man and grabbed on girl all over her body and the girl turned around hitting him and cursing him out and all the other guys just stood there laughing. Stuff like that makes me sick. What pissed me off even more is that a lot of those guys felt that they had the right to do what they were doing.

serves the guy right but i could see u didnt mention if he was a white or black guy. wateva the coulor, wat he did was wrong and he got wat he deserved. we are all saying thesame thing that ladies should be treated with utmost respect but it has nothing to do with the skin colour. this goes out to all men.
Re: What Do You Think? by IZUKWU(m): 5:10pm On May 10, 2011
Well,it is a matter of individual differences and temperaments,most of my girlfriends ,i have met along the road,for me, it is about opening up and talking to the person then responding to her responses,no hard feeling. People whether male or female respond to failure or do i say disappointment differently.Some girls will only smile and continue on their way,some may insult you ,and yet some will co operate,but funny enough they will give you fake name,phone no.,address.And some will be like godsend. Hey! A trial will convince you.
Re: What Do You Think? by Bitablet: 5:11pm On May 10, 2011
@Inked, I understand what you are saying but if you are going to wear tiny clothes that just covers 2% of your body men will think you want there attraction.

What they do not understand is most women who wear revealing outfits are not wearing it so men can go around and do whatever they like. They wear them because they have confident in their body and just to please themselves.
Although that is case they need to see that whether dressed to impress men on the roads or to impress themselves men will see it their own way.

@Tosyne007, you have to understand that the majority of people on here are black so I will refer to black men because a white man will not disrespect a black girl like that if he tried toasting her and it fails. I have never ever heard or seen it. Never. It might happen in their own race.
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 5:16pm On May 10, 2011
tosyne007:

serves the guy right but i could see u didnt mention if he was a white or black guy. wateva the coulor, wat he did was wrong and he got wat he deserved. we are all saying thesame thing that ladies should be treated with utmost respect but it has nothing to do with the skin colour. this goes out to all men.

lol, well I could have mentioned the guys ethnicity but it didn't really matter. Wrong is wrong. Guys like him make other guys look bad tongue Honestly, all the men out there in the world who treat women with respect, I commend you all. In the end, it'll all pay off.

Bitablet:

@Inked, I understand what you are saying but if you are going to wear tiny clothes that just covers 2% of your body men will think you want there attraction.

What they do not understand is most women who wear revealing outfits are not wearing it so men can go around and do whatever they like. They wear them because they have confident in their body and just to please themselves.
Although that is case they need to see that whether dressed to impress men on the roads or to impress themselves men will see it their own way.

Even if a woman is walking around nȧked, that doesn't give you or any other man the right to touch or assault her in any way, shape, or form!!! No one needs to dress to impress you or any other man. Arguments such as yours are the same arguments some men will use to validate their actions when they rȧpe a woman. Walking around scantily clad doesn't mean you've been given the ok to physically or verbally assault a woman.
Re: What Do You Think? by Bitablet: 5:23pm On May 10, 2011
I am not supporting the act but when dressed revealingly expect to get men on your case. For a naked woman on the streets well she gets whatever she asked for.
There are respectable ways to dress with a few bits on show but it should not be all at once.
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 5:26pm On May 10, 2011
Bitablet:

I am not supporting the act but when dressed revealingly expect to get men on your case. For a unclothed woman on the streets well she gets whatever she asked for.
There are respectable ways to dress with a few bits on show but it should not be all at once.

Take a close look at what you wrote. That "but" is an indirect way of supporting such actions. Who are you to tell a woman how to dress?
Re: What Do You Think? by tosyne007(m): 5:30pm On May 10, 2011
@Tosyne007, you have to understand that the majority of people on here are black so I will refer to black men because a white man will not disrespect a black girl like that if he tried toasting her and it fails. I have never ever heard or seen it. Never. It might happen in their own race.
[/quote]

that's not true. dont tell me u dont go to the movies or u dont listen to news. and we aint talking abt a white man violating a black woman, we are talking abt men that violates women, be it black or white.

maybe u will den agree that white men violates, disrespects and embarass white women but that's not the point. we are againt this happening at all cos it's not just right.

got my drift?[quote author=Inked_Nerd link=topic=664068.msg8293434#msg8293434 date=1305044193]

lol, well I could have mentioned the guys ethnicity but it didn't really matter. Wrong is wrong. Guys like him make other guys look bad tongue Honestly, all the men out there in the world who treat women with respect, I commend you all. In the end, it'll all pay off.

Even if a woman is walking around nȧked, that doesn't give you or any other man the right to touch or assault her in any way, shape, or form!!! No one needs to dress to impress you or any other man. Arguments such as yours are the same arguments some men will use to validate their actions when they rȧpe a woman. Walking around scantily clad doesn't mean you've been given the ok to physically or verbally assault a woman.

yeah u are right. ethnicity, tribe or colour has nothing to do with it. physical or emotional abuse on girls/women is wrong and should be seen that way. we should all kick against it.
Re: What Do You Think? by tosyne007(m): 5:32pm On May 10, 2011
Bitablet:

I am not supporting the act but when dressed revealingly expect to get men on your case. For a unclothed woman on the streets well she gets whatever she asked for.

i just hope u are not one of the guys we are talking abt here cos am baffled with ur write-ups. undecided
Re: What Do You Think? by Bitablet: 5:37pm On May 10, 2011
@Tosyne007, we are talking about men who gets their egos bruised when toasting and try to embarrass the girl.

@Ink, I am not telling anyone how to dress but if women wants respect from men on the streets the least they can do it cover up.
tosyne007:

i just hope u are not one of the guys we are talking abt here cos am baffled with your write-ups. undecided
No, I am not but we have to be realistic. A woman who is bearing all will most likely get a man calling her a "ho" if he fails at toasting her.
Re: What Do You Think? by hunkyjohn(m): 5:40pm On May 10, 2011
No matter how a woman dresses, she should be respected. In fact men need to learn how to adore the beauty of a woman. If she dresses "revealingly", then the guy should sit back and feed the eyes.
Re: What Do You Think? by tosyne007(m): 5:43pm On May 10, 2011
Bitablet:

@Tosyne007, we are talking about men who gets their egos bruised when toasting and try to embarrass the girl.

@Ink, I am not telling anyone how to dress but if women wants respect from men on the streets the least they can do it cover up.No, I am not but we have to be realistic. A woman who is bearing all will most likely get a man calling her a "ho" if he fails at toasting her.

that's been overly egocentric.

hunkyjohn:

No matter how a woman dresses, she should be respected. In fact men need to learn how to adore the beauty of a woman. If she dresses "revealingly", then the guy should sit back and feed the eyes.

cool.
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 5:45pm On May 10, 2011
hunkyjohn:

Feeding the eyes sounds a lot better than running ones mouth.

Bitablet:

@Ink, I am not telling anyone how to dress but if women wants respect from men on the streets the least they can do it cover up.

And once again, who are you to tell a woman how to dress? Do you not see the type of language your using in your attempt to get your point across? You saying "cover up" is an indirect manner of telling someone what they should or shouldn't wear.
Re: What Do You Think? by Bitablet: 5:52pm On May 10, 2011
Well I am giving my opinions, you just don't worry about who I am to tell a woman to dress. If she wants to dress with 2% clothing let her do it but  if she gets called a "ho" no crying from her. We just have to accept the fact that if you wear revealing outfits you will attract the wrong attention.
Re: What Do You Think? by InkedNerd(f): 5:57pm On May 10, 2011
Bitablet:

Well I am giving my opinions, you just don't worry about who I am to tell a woman to dress. If she wants to dress with 2% clothing let her do it but  if she gets called a "ho" no crying from her. We just have to accept the fact that if you wear revealing outfits you will attract the wrong attention.

You have no business calling a woman a hoe because she's scantily clad. If I see you on the streets wearing baggy pants should I assume you're a thug or criminal?
Re: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 10, 2011
Some black men are sorry.  undecided
I have been lucky thus far not to meet such creeps.
Guys 'holla' at me and say disrespectful s3xual things but never
have I been called a 'btch' or what not for ignoring them.
I have however witnessed it and it is very distasteful. I think
someone had a point that sometimes our attire can bring on such
wanted attention however I still believe a man can admire and not
touch or call out. There is a difference between a man and a shell of
a man.
Re: What Do You Think? by Dsense(m): 6:01pm On May 10, 2011
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

*******Singing********

Where was I when the rockets came to life
And carried you away into the alligator sky?
Even though I'll never know what's up ahead
I'm never lettin' go, I'm never lettin' go
Where was I when the rockets came to life
And carried you away into the alligator sky?
Even though I'll never know what's up ahead
I'm never lettin' go, I'm never lettin' go
Re: What Do You Think? by Bitablet: 6:05pm On May 10, 2011
@Ink, you have to understand I do not condone that behaviour but the way you dress can affect the way men approach you or the words they might use on you.

I am sorry but this is silly, I am trying to make you understand that dressing inappropriately can bring on negative reactions whether it was your intention to attract male attention on the road or not.

In the Uk-black boys call summer the Ho season because it is the time when girls show everything and they see that as an easy catch.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ladies: If A Man Wants You / Your Val Asked For A Blackberry Porch For Valentime Day. / Hiv+ Singles Dating Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.