Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,813,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Pls Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pls Advice (1332 Views)

Should I Sell My House? I Am In Debt Of 2.3million Pls Advice / Pls Advice : Starting A Tailoring Material Business / Pls Advice: My Baby Mama Want To Leave With Our 10month Old Child. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Advice by Benard5050: 12:39pm On Jul 09, 2021
Pls friends this story is long but I will try my best to summarize it...

After staying at home for 9months after Nysc without a job, a woman who is a family friend told me to come and teach in her school, this was timely as I was getting depressed due to my joblessness...

I relocated to d town which is a rural area, and but with time I adapted. She's has been doing well to me to d extent of even bringing lunch for me every day.

I've been doing this job for 2 years now but there's no significant progress and my life. I'll be 29yrs in a fews days from now but still not ok with d way my life is...

I had a plan to get a loan of 200k from family and friends to open a laundry business in the town I'm teaching as d business is not common there and I wish to use d opportunity to explore this.

My great concern is how will my boss react if I resign and she noticed I'm not going home but staying in her then doing laundry business.

She pays me 20k per month for teaching in her school, she even made me V.Principal and increased my salary by 5k of recent.

Guys pls advised me on what to do that will not hurt anyone....

I need to go into business so I can have proper planning for myself and my future.
Re: Pls Advice by thorpido(m): 12:50pm On Jul 09, 2021
Do your research well and see how the biz can actually yield good returns.
If you can raise the money from family as you said,start part time and see how it turns out.
If the returns are good and can expand,quit the teaching job.
She will be hurt but at the end,your progress is what teally matters.

4 Likes

Re: Pls Advice by adekoyzcreative(m): 1:00pm On Jul 09, 2021
To me, I will suggest you table it down for her

You cannot be serving someone's head for many years while you are yet to decide on your owns life.. You are the architect of yourself. The kind of work you've been doing for so many years which you've got no improvement. Just let go off it and do it in a good and proper ways..

Secondly, kindly note that its not advisable for you to get a loan on a business and not even a business but a fresh business.. Am nkt trying to discourage you but am telling you it takes sometimes for such business to grow, besides you will be on pressure that you are going to return the loan back..

This is my advice to you.. I believe you can do more than that.

If you don't have financial capital to spend in growing then you mustn't fail to have human capital to spend.

What gives you this human capital is the value you create and dispense freely first

Your head is not empty but your bank account is empty simply because you haven't done much with what is in your head already

Salt kept in the bottle is worthless except it is applied

Because it is what we DO with what we KNOW that makes us prosper

It is the failure to ACT that makes our knowledge worthless

You can't or shouldn't complain about the
Salt you left inside the bottle
The salt can't enter into your soup by itself
You have to make the EFFORT to take the salt from the bottle into your soup..

Pls note me, am not rude but M just trying to blunt.. You've got skills in you that you can impact in many people's life that can get you money then u can used it for a business.

For instance, We are both selling Palm-Oil, Your making big sales but my sales is poor so i decided to come up by bringing up a training of bringing and teaching people on the same business probably 2k..What do you expect? People rushed and register for the training and i teached them and they were so happy.. Imagine 3k pupil comes for the training and i collected 2k per head.. Those pupil will respect you.. You make your money and invest on your business..

What am i trying to say?
We are broke because we learn to give out excuses instead of thinking for a solution..

I have lecture a lot of student while some are attending my class.. Please feel free to think before taking any steps..

My father do say to me, Son, Do it and You face the Consequence..

Think pls before applying for any loans for a job..

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice by wunmi590(m): 1:07pm On Jul 09, 2021
shocked

To me I don't see any bad thing in what you want to do, but my advice is first make sure your do your survey on the business in that locality first before you jump into it....

You can still be teaching and then employ somebody that can help you manage the business till you close from work and join the person...

Your Saturdays and sundays are always free since you are teaching, you will be the one there all through...

But you can also let the woman know about it after you have done your survey...
Re: Pls Advice by sisisioge: 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2021
Wow! 25k per month! Sweetheart, may God enlarge your coast and flourish you. Please you need to leave the village and learn something to improve your employability so you could at least get something better to start. Cleaners in my office earn between 40 to 50k fa! It is really well.

Ideas of things to learn:
1. Basic knowledge relating to digital marketing....content writing, graphics development, facebook adverts, etc.

2. Proficiency in use of data analysis and presentation tool...learn how to break big data down on excel, present on PowerPoint, etc

3. Learn how to write proposals and formal letters...be that go to person for corporate communications.

May God and His host of Angels increase you my brother....this country is too hard for one to be financially handicapped.

4 Likes

Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 1:33pm On Jul 09, 2021
My main concern is not about if I should start d business or not cos I'm starting it with caution and even if I lose I will accept but I'm asking for advice on how to go about it telling this woman so she won't be bitter and if I'm setting d business up in another town it would have been better but I'm planning setting it up in the same town she's living, dont forget, she brought me here and she has been so good to me and I've been good to her as well... She holds me as d backbone of d school and she believes so much in me in handling d school but i need to do what will bring more money to me....ive been pondering on this for days.
Re: Pls Advice by mardis: 2:40pm On Jul 09, 2021
If she wants your progress, then i see no reason why she will not welcome the idea of you prospering and aiming for greater heights.

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice by Karleb(m): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2021
Benard5050:
My main concern is not about if I should start d business or not cos I'm starting it with caution and even if I lose I will accept but I'm asking for advice on how to go about it telling this woman so she won't be bitter and if I'm setting d business up in another town it would have been better but I'm planning setting it up in the same town she's living, dont forget, she brought me here and she has been so good to me and I've been good to her as well... She holds me as d backbone of d school and she believes so much in me in handling d school but i need to do what will bring more money to me....ive been pondering on this for days.

She should be the least of your worries.

Remember, it's your life. Make sure you give her at least a month notice.
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 3:55pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

She should be the least of your worries.

Remember, it's your life. Make sure you give her at least a month notice.

Thank u
Re: Pls Advice by Yusufisraelj(m): 4:14pm On Jul 09, 2021
Benard5050:

My brother in the game of life, you come first based on what you want to do to better the lives of people. Not to say she doesn't count but before you decide on this. Answer the following?

1. Do you have money set aside to take care of your bills for the next six month without touching the proceeds from your laundry business?

2. Have you ever done laundry business before, do you understand the value chain of the business, is the rate of demand for such business sustainable in your chosen area?

3. In the event that you default on the loan what's your pay back plan?

Bkos my brother business is not for the faint hearted, it takes time to come into profit, though there are few exceptions with high demand businesses like crude and telcos and the likes.

on the contrary, your limitations right now is a reflection of the value, information and relationships you have now.

If your mind is made up and you've secured the money. Just let her know straight to the point, you'll want to open a business for yourself, bkos it's something you have passion for, ensure you don't shut the door behind you when doing this, people matter and what goes around comes around. There's no such thing as hurting people if you want to progress, only a selfish person will wish you bad, though table it in a friendly tone and make it clear you're leaving not that you're thinking about it cos she may shut the idea down, you have to be precise and straight but make sure you've answered those three above, else ..............make I no talk.
Re: Pls Advice by Truvelisback(m): 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2021
Benard5050:
Pls friends this story is long but I will try my best to summarize it...

After staying at home for 9months after Nysc without a job, a woman who is a family friend told me to come and teach in her school, this was timely as I was getting depressed due to my joblessness...

I relocated to d town which is a rural area, and but with time I adapted. She's has been doing well to me to d extent of even bringing lunch for me every day.

I've been doing this job for 2 years now but there's no significant progress and my life. I'll be 29yrs in a fews days from now but still not ok with d way my life is...

I had a plan to get a loan of 200k from family and friends to open a laundry business in the town I'm teaching as d business is not common there and I wish to use d opportunity to explore this.

My great concern is how will my boss react if I resign and she noticed I'm not going home but staying in her then doing laundry business.

She pays me 20k per month for teaching in her school, she even made me V.Principal and increased my salary by 5k of recent.

Guys pls advised me on what to do that will not hurt anyone....

I need to go into business so I can have proper planning for myself and my future.
U are trying to measure the dept of a river with ur 2 legs at once. 20k Is still manageable. Don't resign yet and don't take any loan. Instead do an home lesson or a private lesson to support ur salary Or u can sell things, maybe in the school or after school. A bird at hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

My brother in the game of life, you come first based on what you want to do to better the lives of people. Not to say she doesn't count but before you decide on this. Answer the following?

1. Do you have money set aside to take care of your bills for the next six month without touching the proceeds from your laundry business?

2. Have you ever done laundry business before, do you understand the value chain of the business, is the rate of demand for such business sustainable in your chosen area?

3. In the event that you default on the loan what's your pay back plan?

Bkos my brother business is not for the faint hearted, it takes time to come into profit, though there are few exceptions with high demand businesses like crude and telcos and the likes.

on the contrary, your limitations right now is a reflection of the value, information and relationships you have now.

If your mind is made up and you've secured the money. Just let her know straight to the point, you'll want to open a business for yourself, bkos it's something you have passion for, ensure you don't shut the door behind you when doing this, people matter and what goes around comes around. There's no such thing as hurting people if you want to progress, only a selfish person will wish you bad, though table it in a friendly tone and make it clear you're leaving not that you're thinking about it cos she may shut the idea down, you have to be precise and straight but make sure you've answered those three above, else ..............make I no talk.

Thanks, sir for this, about taking care of myself fir six months, I can do that besides it's only my mouth I'm feeding for now.

About knowing about d business, I've not done laundry before but I've read about it countless time and my friend is into it in my home town and if there's need for more knowledge, he'll always be ready to put me through...In the town I am currently in, there is no stable laundry business, the ones that are here are not serious with d business, there's a day I want to give cloth to a laundryman but couldn't find a serious one. I'm sure with d right money I'll drive off competition here and with d way d town is developing I need to explore this very early b4 person start pumping money to laundry business here.

I got a loan of 200k with a repayment plan for 3 years, so I think I have enough time to pay it back.
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 5:53pm On Jul 09, 2021
Truvelisback:
U are trying to measure the dept of a river with ur 2 legs at once. 20k Is still manageable. Don't resign yet and don't take any loan. Instead do an home lesson or a private lesson to support ur salary Or u can sell things, maybe in the school or after school. A bird at hand is worth 2 in the bush.

People don't patronize lessons here, I've been in this job for 2 yrs and I'm 29 yrs. Is it this job I'll be doing forever even when my life is not improving...20k for 30 days, d money mostly goes into feeding...
Re: Pls Advice by Truvelisback(m): 6:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
Benard5050:

People don't patronize lessons here, I've been in this job for 2 yrs and I'm 29 yrs. Is it this job I'll be doing forever even when my life is not improving...20k for 30 days, d money mostly goes into feeding...
U should learn to manage money well. Besides, u aren't married yet u can't 20k. Don't u buy food stuffs? Don't you cook? Or are u the type that buys eats most of ur foods outside? Think of something u can do after school to support ur 20k. It could be selling of things like fuel, Purewater(in bags) Etc.
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 6:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
Truvelisback:
U should learn to manage money well. Besides, u aren't married yet u can't 20k. Don't u buy food stuffs? Don't you cook? Or are u the type that buys eats most of ur foods outside? Think of something u can do after school to support ur 20k. It could be selling of things like fuel, Purewater(in bags) Etc.

Which managing will I do with 20k bro...If I want to manage I go still spend 10k on foodstuff and others....

Dnt forget I have younger ones too that'll call to ask for financial help....naxo I go dey manage dey go? I don manage for 2 yrs and im planning to go into laundry business all u could advise me is to keep managing?....
Re: Pls Advice by Truvelisback(m): 6:53pm On Jul 09, 2021
Benard5050:

Which managing will I do with 20k bro...If I want to manage I go still spend 10k on foodstuff and others....

Dnt forget I have younger ones too that'll call to ask for financial help....naxo I go dey manage dey go? I don manage for 2 yrs and im planning to go into laundry business all u could advise me is to keep managing?....
I'm not in away discouraging u 4rm going into laundry. The question is after leaving the teaching job which pays u 20k, how sure are u that laundry Business will be patronized? By the way, u must think of u will stand financially b4 thinking of ur younger ones. I will also advice that u apply for one of these forces like Navy, Airforce, Army, Civil Defence,immigration etc.
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 7:25pm On Jul 09, 2021
Truvelisback:
I'm not in away discouraging u 4rm going into laundry. The question is after leaving the teaching job which pays u 20k, how sure are u that laundry Business will be patronized? By the way, u must think of u will stand financially b4 thinking of ur younger ones. I will also advice that u apply for one of these forces like Navy, Airforce, Army, Civil Defence,immigration etc.

Bro, im still looking for a way to merge d teaching with d laundry but laundry work can be tedious that it will be difficult to merge teaching with...

My younger ones knew im working and at least collecting salary even though they don't know how much im collecting and I can be telling them i don't have every time they ask for help...

About joining the military I've tried it several times but na man no man things and right now my age has passed their requirement...

I can't be teaching forever, I need more income to plan my life.
Re: Pls Advice by Yusufisraelj(m): 7:37pm On Jul 09, 2021
Benard5050:

Thanks, sir for this, about taking care of myself fir six months, I can do that besides it's only my mouth I'm feeding for now.

About knowing about d business, I've not done laundry before but I've read about it countless time and my friend is into it in my home town and if there's need for more knowledge, he'll always be ready to put me through...In the town I am currently in, there is no stable laundry business, the ones that are here are not serious with d business, there's a day I want to give cloth to a laundryman but couldn't find a serious one. I'm sure with d right money I'll drive off competition here and with d way d town is developing I need to explore this very early b4 person start pumping money to laundry business here.

I got a loan of 200k with a repayment plan for 3 years, so I think I have enough time to pay it back.

Beautiful then, really nice, don't forget to add God to it. God speed bro.
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 7:44pm On Jul 09, 2021
Yusufisraelj:

Beautiful then, really nice, don't forget to add God to it. God speed bro.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Pls Advice by Truvelisback(m): 8:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
Benard5050:

Bro, im still looking for a way to merge d teaching with d laundry but laundry work can be tedious that it will be difficult to merge teaching with...

My younger ones knew im working and at least collecting salary even though they don't know how much im collecting and I can be telling them i don't have every time they ask for help...

About joining the military I've tried it several times but na man no man things and right now my age has passed their requirement...

Give the military a trial. Go and do age decleration certificate to be 21yrs and apply in any of the available forces. Many of the people Passing out are above the age. If u are lucky, u will be selected. I know many who are above the age that were taken. Furthermore, u can tell any of ur younger ones to asisst u in the laundry business when u aren't around while u are doing the teaching job.
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 10:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
More advice needed guys
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 8:48am On Jul 10, 2021
Good morning
Re: Pls Advice by faithfull18(f): 9:42am On Jul 10, 2021
Truvelisback:
Give the military a trial. Go and do age decleration certificate to be 21yrs and apply in any of the available forces. Many of the people Passing out are above the age. If u are lucky, u will be selected. I know many who are above the age that were taken. Furthermore, u can tell any of ur younger ones to asisst u in the laundry business when u aren't around while u are doing the teaching job.
Bad advice, he should go and die ba
Re: Pls Advice by Benard5050: 9:52am On Jul 10, 2021
faithfull18:

This is not even a good time to join the military
Re: Pls Advice by Truvelisback(m): 10:41am On Jul 10, 2021
faithfull18:

Death is inevitable. It's better to die 4 something than to die 4 nothing. As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is. Whatever u wish 4 urself is what will happen. D advice is 4 his own good. Na Only God they Protect person. I know people who joined that are living well now. Sis, the country hard now. So, everything na prayer.
Re: Pls Advice by jamesope04(m): 10:06am On Jul 24, 2021
Benard5050:

Chat me up

I wanna share some knowledge with you

(1) (Reply)

Kitchen And Home Wares / My Mum Keeps Bugging Me To Create A/an NL Acct For Her / My Househelp Just Got Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.