Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,945 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women (8397 Views)

Why Do Men Find It Difficult To Ask Their Women For Money When They Are Broke?� / Men Have Become More Randy, Intolerant And Abusive Than Before. / Some Nigerian Men Have Low Self Esteem, Need Reorientation - Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Gerrard59(m): 4:51pm On Jul 11, 2021
Unless y'all opposing this thread point out one developed/functioning society created by women or the vast majority of those involved were women, you have no point whatsoever. Also, if you are so pained by the thread, tell fellow Nigerian men to at least create a functioning society and put women at the back seat. If "gender inequality" rankings are anything to go by, Emirati, South Korean and Japanese men have done so.

Create a damn functioning society and dictate what your women should do or behave. Again, men create the society, women integrate into it.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by wwwtortoise(m): 5:03pm On Jul 11, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Probably for the west. Nigeria has always been in hard times yet we no develop.

The concept has no outlier.
It is basic evolutionary survival instincts at play.

The thing is in Nigeria context, their endurance level is rooted in religion and cowardice but trust me change is coming (not the apc type cool )

This current hard time is forging beasts of men.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Gerrard59(m): 5:05pm On Jul 11, 2021
[quote author=Raalsalghul post=103598392]

Are you saying that if men should take a backseat and women take charge that things will be different?

Because from the handful of examples (however small) I've seen, it's still same result.

Biologically and evolutionary, it is men who build societies not women. So asking women to do this is asking for the impossible as there is no developed/functioning economy which was created by women. Few weeks ago, I read about the history and economic development of Taiwan and the vast majority involved were men. Same in Chile or Australia, why should Nigeria be different?

Uncontrolled birthrate

China and Singapore worked on this and became successful at it. Which gender was involved? Men

Ethnocentrism/tribalism

Nepotism

Religion

Singapore worked on them and men were involved. China relegated religion to the backseat, men were at the forefront. Taiwan enthroned meritocracy, men ensured it happened.

Will you honestly look at these reasons and tell me that men are the only gender responsible for the above highlighted?

Your darling daddy Buhari made us the poverty capital of the world: [b]remember both men/women campaigned for him, both men/women voted him. grin

The vast majority of those who were vocal, campaigned and voted for your darling (he is not my darling) Buhari were men. In fact, there are more men than women in Nigeria and they play the dominant role in Nigerian politics. Men build the institutions, place, city, chart the course etc., it has been done elsewhere and women just fit in. Why should it be different from Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by SeaTrade(m): 5:37pm On Jul 11, 2021
Gerrard59:

Yeah, it is not depending on a product you don't control the price for 80% of national revenues but na pegging as if the Hong Kong dollar is not pegged or the South Korean Won is not artificially devalued to boost exports or the Bank of Japan does not continually interfere with exchange rates to boost exports. He said na pEgGiNg

Buhari, who I won't be surprised you campaigned and voted for in 2015, has been doing same since for almost seven years and Nigerians got poorer than ever before and had economic growth reduced to that of 2010 even though the population has increased.

You are a citizen of the world's poverty capital, because you live in say Lekki drinking soakaway water or sniffing soot filled oxygen in PH does not make you a rich person. By global standards, you are a poor person. It is a fact and does not care about your feelings.

If Nigerians were as rich as South Koreans, the Emiratis would not have banned Nigerians. But as poor people, they know it has brings no economic consequences to them. It is why the strength of the Nigerian passport has plummeted from 70+ countries to 46 within the past ten years. No one gives visa free privileges to poor people
I don't have strength for back and forth.
But America today was built by a handful of men,not all.
Men like Henry Ford, John D Rockefeller,Vanderbilt,etc..to make America what it is today.
Are you not a man like these men?What are you doing to change the narrative?Cos I don't wanna believe you are full of whining and blaming others for your personal shortcomings cos that's the easiest way to fail as a human.
It is a capitalist world,If I am fine and comfortable in Nigeria as a person or family,whoever hasn't fix his bed will have himself/herself to blame.
Poverty has never been a collective problem wink
And yes ,with money,I can have my women the way I think is right for me. wink
Also,I am not a poor person by global standards,not just Nigerian just so you know wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Gerrard59(m): 5:45pm On Jul 11, 2021
I think I should break this down for those who are yet to grasp the meaning of this thread.

As a man, you are expected to provide for your family, giving the best you can offer. It is why your wife married you – she believes you can provide that comfort she desires. You do this for them (inclusive of children), this makes you proud as a man because you are living up to your responsibility. In return, you expect to be respected and adored; if you wish, you dictate rules and what you want to be enshrined which would be followed by members of the household. You expect your children to obey your instructions and as the prize, you choose who you want as wife and can demand if she must be a virgin or within a certain age range. You can do this because you are the man and want your household to be what it is. You can even set rules that your wife should dress like Deeper Life women, remain indoors and not speak back at you, she would mostly likely do these things because you have done your part. You can even marry another woman and she would not object because in return, you have provided the basics and her children live a prosperous life and have a bright future based on what you as the man - her husband – has laid down. You are the security in times of danger. Because of this, there exist consequences for ill-actions she (inclusive of the children) commits and you ensured she suffers them.

Now tell me, why should this be different in nation building?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by crackhaus: 6:45pm On Jul 11, 2021
Richy4:

if u were living in face me I face u, u go sabi find trouble... U were gifted in pushing people's buttons
Lol, I know... I've been told many times.
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Zooposki(f): 7:43pm On Jul 11, 2021
Gerrard59:

The women who have held positions pivotal to Nigeria's development are infinitesimal compared to the number of men. The final buck stops at the table which a man controls. Okonjo Iweala had Jonathan while Zainab Ahmed has Buhari.

cc: Zooposki

Just seeing this thread. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by crackhaus: 7:45pm On Jul 11, 2021
Gerrard59:
Unless y'all opposing this thread point out one developed/functioning society created by women or the vast majority of those involved were women, you have no point whatsoever. Also, if you are so pained by the thread, tell fellow Nigerian men to at least create a functioning society and put women at the back seat. If "gender inequality" rankings are anything to go by, Emirati, South Korean and Japanese men have done so.

Create a damn functioning society and dictate what your women should do or behave. Again, men create the society, women integrate into it.
This guy you're just making noise and twisting yourself into many different shapes with your long winding write-ups in a bid to convince yourself that you're making sense.

This here is the crux of your thread below, every other thing you're typing is just you trying to explain it and make it make sense... but unfortunately, it will never make any sense because your premise is faulty.

Here we go:
Gerrard59:

However, for Nigerian women to indulge in prostitution as a means to eat/survive, it tells us one thing – Nigerian men have failed their women.

In other words, your sole metric for measuring a prosperous society where the men have done well for their women, is one where women do not indulge in prostitution as a means to eat/survive – this is very 'kindergarten' of you, but let's move.

A few questions:
1. In countries which are ranked as successful, do women not indulge in prostitution?

2. Why do these women in prosperous countries still engage in prostitution?
Is it because they need it as a means to eat/survive, or is it because they just enjoy sampling different dícks for the fun of it?

3. If Nigerian women were indulging in prostitution for sport and not because they want to eat/survive, can it then be said that Nigerian men have done well for them? grin

Now the questions above aside (because I don't even expect anything coherent that will help validate your sentence in red letters above), I think I read a comment where you mentioned that in developed countries, men don't ask women for sex before offering them work, or something of that sort... shocked

I remember thinking to myself as I read that statement, that this guy is either deliberately trying to fuel the argument some more or he is quite naive and completely out of his depths.
I mean seriously, no one who knows anything, and I mean, really knows anything, can make that claim so boldly. That statement alone, cemented my assumption that you didn't think any of this through and that you haven't got your all facts on-hand.

As a matter of fact, the only three groups of people that will read though this thread and agree that it is because Nigerian men have failed women, then this is the reason why women indulge in prostitution, are:

1. The prostitutes themselves who hate that they have previously been/presently are prostitutes, but just can't help it... For them, it's easier to pass the blame for their poor life choices than accept that they are lacking creativity.

2. Modern feminists who already by default are not the brightest of humans... Because as far as they're concerned, anything that is wrong with the world is because of men. Women are angels/saints.

3. People who assume that when a person writes long articles in very good English, then he/she must be making sense.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Zooposki(f): 8:01pm On Jul 11, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

Firstly, the socio economic building or construction of a thriving society, why is it men who are to blame that Nigeria failed. A country that was even created by a woman immediately after hot sekz.

Your postulations are wrong. You belittle women by claiming their decisions to trade sexual favors for food comes from a weak mental makeup.

Nigerian women are among the most unfaithful in the world (Durex studies). For a gender that relishes sex, utilising same activity to amass resources will only come naturally. And its not a man's fault.

Orphan, invalid or superhero - Nigerian women can do ALL things except accept responsibility for their own inherent flaws.

Tueh

We live in a patriarchal society, which is ruled by men. Any failure of the society should automatically go to the men. Men always say they are the head and the captain of the ship, so automatically they should also bear the responsibility of failure for not steering that ship right.

The white man committed massive genocide (which I’m not advocating to nor in support of) all over the world just to make sure his women and children live comfortably. What has the African man done to make sure his woman and children live a life of comfort? The Nigerian man cannot even stay to fight for his country but will rather travel to a society that has been developed by other races of men. This is why the African man has no respect and is seen as the weakest of all the races of men.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Zooposki(f): 8:16pm On Jul 11, 2021
SeaTrade:

Nigerian men are doing very well,I mean very well.You are not just able to meet up with the productive ones because they wouldn't roll with a nonentity like you,hence you use your unproductive circle(your likes) to judge Nigerian men.

We are talking as a collective and not as individuals. Nigeria is a shithole country ravaged by all vices of criminal activities perpetrated by mostly the men.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Nobody: 3:16am On Jul 12, 2021
I really love this thread. Kudos to the OP for this. I v learnt lots of things from here
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by bjtinz: 5:18am On Jul 12, 2021
If as you woman you support OPs position then should be ashamed yourself.
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by bjtinz: 5:25am On Jul 12, 2021
A more tenable position is the fact the those unfortunate teenage girls referenced in the original post exist because there are buyers of sex.

Simply put, if there were no buyers, there would be no sellers.

That's the only extent to which I believe the men can be blamed.
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Hathor5(f): 8:10am On Jul 12, 2021
Nigerian men want to be leaders/heads/captains without accountability.

They destroy the economy, blame in on the youth who is lazy.

They loot the country's resources, it's the white man and neocolonialism.

They cheat. It's the wife's fault.

Side chick kills them, also the wife's fault.

Children hate them, mother turned them against the father.

They rape, it's the victim's clothes.

Moral decay, it's the slay queen they patronize.

Divorce rate, feminism is to blame.

They can't control themselves but it's the female gender that is illogical and emotional. cheesy

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by pocohantas(f): 8:43am On Jul 12, 2021
Zooposki:

We are talking as a collective and not as individuals. Nigeria is a shithole country ravaged by all vices of criminal activities perpetrated by mostly the men.

Seconded! grin grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by TarOrfeeek: 8:53am On Jul 12, 2021
Gerrard59:
I think I should break this down for those who are yet to grasp the meaning of this thread.

As a man, you are expected to provide for your family, giving the best you can offer. It is why your wife married you – she believes you can provide that comfort she desires. You do this for them (inclusive of children), this makes you proud as a man because you are living up to your responsibility. In return, you expect to be respected and adored; if you wish, you dictate rules and what you want to be enshrined which would be followed by members of the household. You expect your children to obey your instructions and as the prize, you choose who you want as wife and can demand if she must be a virgin or within a certain age range. You can do this because you are the man and want your household to be what it is. You can even set rules that your wife should dress like Deeper Life women, remain indoors and not speak back at you, she would mostly likely do these things because you have done your part. You can even marry another woman and she would not object because in return, you have provided the basics and her children live a prosperous life and have a bright future based on what you as the man - her husband – has laid down. You are the security in times of danger. Because of this, there exist consequences for ill-actions she (inclusive of the children) commits and you ensured she suffers them.

Your thoughts are archaic.

In the West you use as a model, the burden of provision is on both male and female.

Men cannot, and will not be mules to work themselves to death for a woman's comfort.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 12, 2021
What a truck load of dogshit. Very useless opinion.
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by ThothHermes: 10:58am On Jul 12, 2021
ValCon888:
The rantings of an ignorant, pussy-whipped man.
A simp and a simpleton suffering from the simplex virus.
Lol grin
I was expecting someone to say something like this. Intellectual simping.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 12, 2021
Gerrard59:

I can 100% guarantee that you can't do this, do you see the women on this comment section at all?

- if you wish, you dictate rules and what you want to be enshrined which would be followed by members of the household - YOU CAN'T

- You choose who you want as wife and can demand if she must be a virgin or within a certain age range - YOU CAN'T

- You can even set rules that your wife should dress like Deeper Life women, remain indoors and not speak back at you, she would mostly likely do these things because you have done your part - YOU CAN'T

- You can even marry another woman and she would not object - YOU CAN'T

you have provided the basics and her children live a prosperous life and have a bright future based on what you as the man - her husband – has laid down

If you like lay down you life for your wife, you still won't be able to do any of those things listed up there. I don't know if you time traveled from 1950 to 2021 but your brain is still living in 1950.

All the women who liked your post, I'm sure they did it out of ignorance. They didn't see this part.
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by descarado: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
cococandy:
Many men like to talk about how women don’t build civilization. How women are weak. How we can’t handle power and that’s why all our leaders have been majority men. Now you’re being asked to take responsibility for the society you’ve created (and rightly so) and all I hear are deflections. Which one is it?
In ti's very issue, I will very much love to blame the men only but reality is that it takes 2 to tango.
Our when are not better either.

Britain, America, China, Japan, South korea etc has very male dominated society back in the days, worst than what our women have ever experienced. I think in France, men have official concubine. Wives duties is to sew clothes and give birth and just stay in the house while the concubines are highly travelled, respected and influential etc. Courtesans were officially trained. They are women with power and respect. The reason a mere mistress was able to name a country Nigeria and no hell was raised. In China or Korea, women have little or no value. But you know what?
These women fought with everything in them. Read books or watch historical movies( real events that were adapted into movies from books) and see how far these women went to make history.
They fought a male dominated society, fought and fought and look at them now. They are still fighting.
In Nigeria,our parents even fought more than us.
Do we fight at all? (Mothers from childhood has already made his male child superior to her daughter. Its still mother's that train these oya and they turn out this way. After seeing how their husbands treated them, they still trained their sons to take the footsteps of their fathers.)
Why?
Cos our men are using psychological warfare on us through religion. Not that they practice what they preach but because it gives them power to control women hence their popular quote. Submission.
Society and culture has embraced it subconsciously that women see their husbands as mini gods instead of human and partner.

When women collectively push for their rights, heaven will not fall.
Men will have no choice either but to succumb. But, have we ever done that in our various families not to talk of society?
Hmm.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by cococandy(f): 4:59pm On Jul 12, 2021
In our society, Women who fight are vilified.I blame those who take a back seat but at the same time, I don’t blame them. They choose to be non-confrontational. To fit in. To avoid being labeled as feminists and what have you. Honestly It’s easier. they don’t have to deal with the venom that inevitably comes your way when you’re woman who is known to question the status quo. Nobody really likes stress sha

Our society places premium on female docility. That’s what makes a good woman to us. Sometimes other women will drag you down because you’re too vocal. Too opinionated. Too much in general. It will be hard for us to collectively as you said push for our rights when amongst us we have those who value male validation over the best future for the coming girls and women.

descarado:

In ti's very issue, I will very much love to blame the men only but reality is that it takes 2 to tango.
Our when are not better either.

Britain, America, China, Japan, South korea etc has very male dominated society back in the days, worst than what our women have ever experienced. I think in France, men have official concubine. Wives duties is to sew clothes and give birth and just stay in the house while the concubines are highly travelled, respected and influential etc. Courtesans were officially trained. They are women with power and respect. The reason a mere mistress was able to name a country Nigeria and no hell was raised. In China or Korea, women have little or no value. But you know what?
These women fought with everything in them. Read books or watch historical movies( real events that were adapted into movies from books) and see how far these women went to make history.
They fought a male dominated society, fought and fought and look at them now. They are still fighting.
In Nigeria,our parents even fought more than us.
Do we fight at all? (Mothers from childhood has already made his male child superior to her daughter. Its still mother's that train these oya and they turn out this way. After seeing how their husbands treated them, they still trained their sons to take the footsteps of their fathers.)
Why?
Cos our men are using psychological warfare on us through religion. Not that they practice what they preach but because it gives them power to control women hence their popular quote. Submission.
Society and culture has embraced it subconsciously that women see their husbands as mini gods instead of human and partner.

When women collectively push for their rights, heaven will not fall.
Men will have no choice either but to succumb. But, have we ever done that in our various families not to talk of society?
Hmm.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by descarado: 5:34pm On Jul 12, 2021
cococandy:
In our society, Women who fight are vilified.I blame those who take a back seat but at the same time, I don’t blame them. They choose to be non-confrontational. To fit in. To avoid being labeled as feminists and what have you. Honestly It’s easier. they don’t have to deal with the venom that inevitably comes your way when you’re woman who is known to question the status quo. Nobody really likes stress sha

Our society places premium on female docility. That’s what makes a good woman to us. Sometimes other women will drag you down because you’re too vocal. Too opinionated. Too much in general. It will be hard for us to collectively as you said push for our rights when amongst us we have those who value male validation over the best future for the coming girls and women.

That is thr Cross of the matter. Women in other countries were vilified,killed, made outcast but it paid off.

We allowed our society to place that docility on us.
We allowed society to dictate.

It's not even culture but imported religions. Now we mix that with cultur and say that's how it was during the old. Even if it's cultural, culture evolves.
We are just going in circles.
Society shame you if you decide to be a single mum. Decide not to marry. Even a divorced lady is always evil. Our fellow women hail and praise men because they butter their bread. No gift, no boyfriend. We are our own problem cos we are very lazy( sorry to use this). An average naija woman want to sit at home and watch TV while maid do everything for her and oga credits her account.
It's not the man's fault here. We don't want to be independent. If naija women change, our men will adjust. Check history.
No change in this world if women don't fight for it.
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by cococandy(f): 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2021
In my experience Nigerian women are not lazy. If I know 20 women, maybe 2 of them are stay-at -home moms. And that in itself isn’t an easy or lazy job.
But we still value traditionalism (in theory. Economic reality is very different) as a family concept where the man is the provider and the woman is the care giver. I wouldn’t ascribe it to laziness if women who consider themselves traditional women abide by this format. Personally I don’t encourage it.
But I do agree that if we collectively as women want to enact change, we can do it. We just have to value that more than staying “in our place”.

descarado:

That is thr Cross of the matter. Women in other countries were vilified,killed, made outcast but it paid off.

We allowed our society to place that docility on us.
We allowed society to dictate.

It's not even culture but imported religions. Now we mix that with cultur and say that's how it was during the old. Even if it's cultural, culture evolves.
We are just going in circles.
Society shame you if you decide to be a single mum. Decide not to marry. Even a divorced lady is always evil. Our fellow women hail and praise men because they butter their bread. No gift, no boyfriend. We are our own problem cos we are very lazy( sorry to use this). An average naija woman want to sit at home and watch TV while maid do everything for her and oga credits her account.
It's not the man's fault here. We don't want to be independent. If naija women change, our men will adjust. Check history.
No change in this world if women don't fight for it.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by descarado: 6:20pm On Jul 12, 2021
cococandy:
In my experience Nigerian women are not lazy. If I know 20 women, maybe 2 of them are stay-at “-home moms. And that in itself isn’t an easy or lazy job.
But we still value traditionalism (in theory. Economic reality is very different) as a family concept where the man is the provider and the woman is the care giver. I wouldn’t ascribe it to laziness if women who consider themselves traditional women abide by this format. Personally I don’t encourage it.
But I do agree that if we collectively as women want to enact change, we can do it. We just have to value that more than staying “in our place”.

I have read a publication on this. Women are compelled to work in naija. This doesn't mean all women anyway. If giving a choice, majority will love to stay at home.

A well known fact. Money is a determinant here. Whoever controls the money controls every other thing. Why is it that from the moment we are of age, we see men as milking machine?
Boyfriend, husband, even guys on friend zone.

What I'm trying yo say is when we srt being independent, we will have some power be it house or society. For now, it's just few. And those that are not to such level will pull you down if you want to fight for them.
We are our problem. Other societies have evolved.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Hathor5(f): 6:30pm On Jul 12, 2021
descarado:

I have read a publication on this. Women are compelled to work in naija. This doesn't mean all women anyway. If giving a choice, majority will love to stay at home.

A well known fact. Money is a determinant here. Whoever controls the money controls every other thing. Why is it that from the moment we are of age, we see men as milking machine?

What I'm trying yo say is when we srt being independent, we will have some power be it house or society. For now, it's just few. And those that are not to such level will pull you down if you want to fight for them.

I agree with many points you have raised here but a few.

However, you and Coco are missing the point in this discussion.

For now men are leaders and as such they should take responsibility for the state of the country.

Could more women be leaders? Sure. Should women fight for a more egalitarian society. Most certainly.

But as long as men are the heads/captains/leaders they have to learn to take responsibility and should be held accountable.

If we go by your line of argument Buhari should be justified to refuse to take any responsibility because other parties have not won the election.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by bjtinz: 6:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
Hathor5:
[s]Nigerian men want to be leaders/heads/captains without accountability.

They can't control themselves but it's the female gender that is illogical and emotional[/s]. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by apatheticme(f): 6:37pm On Jul 12, 2021
Hathor5:
Nigerian men want to be leaders/heads/captains without accountability.

They can't control themselves but it's the female gender that is illogical and emotional. cheesy

Spot on

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by cococandy(f): 6:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
In my earlier post, I addressed one of the OP’s point which is that men should take responsibility for the society they have created. I think that part of the OP is spot on (I don’t necessarily agree with everything he said). But yes men are responsible for how we as a society are today because they have been leading.

The rest of it is what normally follows when the thread evolves to include more talking points.
Also I don’t agree with all descerado’s points. The issues we have as women who are affected by men’s poor leadership is certainly not easily solved by women being more independent.

Hathor5:

For now men are leaders and as such they should take responsibility for the state of the country.

Could more women be leaders? Sure. Should women fight for a more egalitarian society. Most certainly.

But as long as men are the heads/captains/leaders they have to learn to take responsibility and should be held accountable.

If we go by your line of argument Buhari should be justified to refuse to take any responsibility because other parties have not won the election.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Hathor5(f): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2021
cococandy:
In my earlier post, I addressed one of the OP’s point which is that men should take responsibility for the society they have created. I think that part of the OP is spot on (I don’t necessarily agree with everything he said). But yes men are responsible for how we as a society are today because they have been leading.

The rest of it is what normally follows when the thread evolves to include more talking points.
Also I don’t agree with all descerado’s points. The issues we have as women who are affected by men’s poor leadership is certainly not easily solved by women being more independent.

Noted. kiss
Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by cococandy(f): 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2021
Which kinda brings us back to putting the blame on men.

There’s a reason why it happens. Through the ages, men strategically placed themselves in positions of financial power so that women will depend on them. Women were owned and sold by fathers for political and financial benefits. A woman would typically have nowhere and no options once she falls out of favor with her financial benefactor. So to survive, we obeyed and did what was expected of us. Those things get passed down. We pass it down. It will take a hot minute before we achieve a level financial playing field.

Until recently, women couldn’t own their own money unless men (fathers and husbands signed off in approval). Until TODAY. (You’re igbo and you know this too). Women aren’t permitted to inherit land from their families. This is beyond women being individually independent. All of us can work and provide for ourselves and it still won’t make as much of a difference in terms of how our society operates at the leadership level. Not when many of us are still misogynistic at heart. I understand that being independent cannot be over-emphasized and I encourage all women try. However, to affect leadership and chart our path as a nation, women would have to have more than money. We would need a society where people don’t inherently hate women. Where we can vote for a woman without assuming that she can’t be a good leader because of her womanhood.

descarado:

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by Teespice(f): 7:58pm On Jul 12, 2021
cococandy:

Per your second sentence in the second paragraph, you are absolutely spot on. I experienced this few weeks ago and since then, each time I see a woman who vilifies other women in order to prove a point albeit baseless, I know instantly that she has deep rooted issues.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Men Have Failed Their Women by descarado: 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2021
Hathor5:

All I'm saying is what is our women doing to rise above this subjugation from men?
Women from other countries suffered more than us but we all look up to them and admire their system forgetting they fought their men to reach where they are today. Remember religion came from them. This is my argument only.
We can keep on blaming the men. Women in the West took the bull by the horn, what's stopping us?

The other day, I read a west African country where a woman was ordained Anglican priest. U need to see pages of insults hauled on her.
Should we stop trying simply because our men are fighting us every step?
That's why I said we are very lax and will settle for crumbs from the men. An average naija babe want gift from her boyfriend and is ready to flaunt it. That's selling her freedom. This continues as a married woman. A woman will rather sell akara and stay with the kids at home than insisting on getting high end job and then share house work with the husband. It's seen as unafrican for many men to work. Who said so. Western men don't enter the kitchen before. Chinese, Korean name them, they don't go near the kitchen, how come they can easily do that now? Why won't our men continue to dictate whatever happens to your life and society when we give them all the opportunities and armoury to use?

We are not ready yet. And we will never be ready.

You and cococandy live in the West, you know the diff. Their women fought and that started from the family. How we raise our kids, how far we can go for independence etc. When we get it right( like 40%), the society will hear our voice.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fury Of A Woman sconned / Kids' Educational Tablet Computer With Sim Card. Rivers State, Port Harcourt. / What Makes A Good Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.