Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,216 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Airtel’s Slave Yard - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Airtel’s Slave Yard (13700 Views)

Bank Marketers Now Accept Double Job Offers: Outcome Of Slave Salary! / We Need Dump Truck For Yard Haulage Job. / Bankers' Warehouse Plc Is A Cheat And Slave Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by seniorklop: 2:59pm On May 15, 2011
what u pple failed to realise is dat this issue cut accross all organisations, d most hit is banks and telecoms. u need to see how outsourced staffs are being treated in banks. as far as i know, indians do not run the banks. the bottomline is dat outsourcing should be abolish period!
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by fabienjoe: 6:55am On May 16, 2011
The indians as well as the Chinese are some of the world's worst employers. Some of their business customers in the UK have had to go to inspect their factories in India and China and interview their staff to make sure they are well treated. They run the risk of losing these valuable customers if their staff work in inhuman conditions. The press in the UK always highlight these when they have evidence of maltreatment ofd staff. Of course they are dealing with civilised public that can easily boycott products coming from such inhuman conditions. It is called fairtrade. Some use it as their unique selling point and boy, does it work. Sacking women for being pregnant reeks of odium. Some tried to justify this with capitalism. That is ignorance. The world's biggest capitalists like the US, UK, Germany among others have some of the most robust labour laws protecting the rights and dignity of employees. A lot need to change in Nigeria. I still read advertisements restricting the age of prospectove employees to say 28 years. This illegal in many developed countries, yet they have much higher productivity than Nigeria. Even with common sense, who is to say that a 28 year old can work better than say, a 38 year old purely on account of age? We need laws that cover such issues as age discrimination, gender discrimination, rights of pregnant women at work, sexual exploitation, health and safety at work among others. I must add however, that employment is a contract between an employer and employee. It follows that every right sought has a corresponding responsibility. I concede that the Nigerian worker is one of the least productive in the world mostly due to poor attitude. The law also needs to protect employers in this regard, afterall if the workers seek equity, they must do so with clean hands.
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by fred4alabi(m): 12:17pm On May 17, 2011
the staff themselves have a major role to play. They have made a good move by passing messages. I really feel for them, but the actual truth is that heaven help those who help themselves. nobody will come and fight for them if they dint start the fight.

they need to go on strike for a day at least. they will run to a big loss and that will attract the interest of everyone and even the company management who wont want that to happen again.

people attach themselves to heroes. the hero is in you. you need to start the fight and other will join you. remember how Nigerians fought against per N50 per minute call by avoiding calls for a day. even though not everyone complied, it still was effective.

GO ON STRIKE, KIDNAP THOSE GUYS. OPPRESSORS ARE COWARDS, START IT AND THEY WILL RUN AWAY.
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by Dejavu147: 2:40pm On May 17, 2011
It has been there habit of enslaving Nigerians but the so call NLC we have doing nothing about it. Because of bribe they collect from them.
go to WAHUM LEOCOOL LEOPLAST you will cry for Nigerians in their country under slavery with fuccccccccck bushiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit Indian. They are among the poorest country in the world yet come to Nigeria to suffer people. GOD bless my country NIGERIA and CHANGE the mind set of people to good one
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by Dejavu147: 3:02pm On May 17, 2011
G-reycells:

You made great sense.

yes i so much aggree with you and that is exactly what am going through presently, i so much believe everything you've said and i am one of the people that has a Gift of ALWAYS fulfilling Promises, I've made up my mind that i will Deal with ALL Indians, cos i happen to have a Rapid promotion in my present place of work,so i was able to see/have the opportunity of how they're operating here in Nigeria, i must say this that we are the one causing all this Rubbish,there is a Yoruba Adage that goes like thus; "Akeregbe lo man Juwe ibi ti a ma fi Okun si" you can imagine our own Country men teaching those Bastards how they're going to Evade Tax, how they're going to bribe our Bastard,old for nothing Labour Union executives they're there for nothing but just for their own Pockets, you see what MOST of them don't realize is that they think they're trading away our future that they're Living fine with their Kids and family, but its their entire Generation that is been trade away, I SWEAR Fellows, you'll hear about me when i START to deal with all this INDIANS, presently am working as one of their Staff now,and i hate myself cos when i see my fellow Country men working in an Un - Conducive Environment,although my own work condition is fine even though the Pay is small But seeing my fellow country men been treated harshly means Am also a Slave, and they have a strong association that they use in covering all their Miss deeds and they pay them Millions, Buy Cars and other exotic things for them @ the end of the year all in the name of Gifts, All i pray for is just that the Almighty God should spear my life & protect me and get me the desired JOB very soon cos am fed up with the Job so that i can be able to implement all my plans on this Useless Indian Community and to put an end to their Modern ways of slavery.

Our Labour Union Executives have been Compromised;God save us and once we have a good & corrupt free Anti graft Agency then one just need to file up a suit against them with evidence and make sure that all the Nigerians who participated in the Corrupt practices and un human activities are brought to book.

Regards,

Dejavu! angry
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by Ebenezerk2: 4:12pm On May 17, 2011
how much is the last price?
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by OnyeBabe1(f): 6:22pm On May 17, 2011
Dejavu147:

yes i so much aggree with you and that is exactly what am going through presently, i so much believe everything you've said and i am one of the people that has a Gift of ALWAYS fulfilling Promises, I've made up my mind that i will Deal with ALL Indians, cos i happen to have a Rapid promotion in my present place of work,so i was able to see/have the opportunity of how they're operating here in Nigeria, i must say this that we are the one causing all this Rubbish,there is a Yoruba Adage that goes like thus; "Akeregbe lo man Juwe ibi ti a ma fi Okun si" you can imagine our own Country men teaching those Bastards how they're going to Evade Tax, how they're going to bribe our naughty person,old for nothing Labour Union executives they're there for nothing but just for their own Pockets, you see what MOST of them don't realize is that they think they're trading away our future that they're Living fine with their Kids and family, but its their entire Generation that is been trade away, I SWEAR Fellows, you'll hear about me when i START to deal with all this INDIANS, presently am working as one of their Staff now,and i hate myself cos when i see my fellow Country men working in an Un - Conducive Environment,although my own work condition is fine even though the Pay is small But seeing my fellow country men been treated harshly means Am also a Slave, and they have a strong association that they use in covering all their Miss deeds and they pay them Millions, Buy Cars and other exotic things for them @ the end of the year all in the name of Gifts, All i pray for is just that the Almighty God should spear my life & protect me and get me the desired JOB very soon cos am fed up with the Job so that i can be able to implement all my plans on this Useless Indian Community and to put an end to their Modern ways of slavery.

Our Labour Union Executives have been Compromised;God save us and once we have a good & corrupt free Anti graft Agency then one just need to file up a suit against them with evidence and make sure that all the Nigerians who participated in the Corrupt practices and un human activities are brought to book.

Regards,

Dejavu! angry

Are you kidding? Stereotyping helps no one and not all Indians are ripping off the economy so dont go and start harassing people going about their business. This is exactly what is killing Nigerians, lack of multiple world views, lets all join on the band wagon and penalise the Indians for maintaining jobs that local companies cannot maintain. You lack commitment to your job that is not a good sign for any employer, how wont they mistreat you? If you have no regard for your job, it would affect your performance and you would get fired anyway. So chin up and stop bearing grudges, it is not the way to live. smiley

smiley
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by OnyeBabe1(f): 6:29pm On May 17, 2011
twinstaiye:

That opinions aint fair. Working in abuja is expensive, 75k is not much, Most of them are graduates, taking up such jobs because of the situation in the country.

Point being? The term graduate only implies the person has completed a university degree programme, it does not mean they have the skills for the job even though the role is not classed as a high skilled position neither does it mean you should get paid a certain amount. There are many graduates around the world who do the same thing, you don't snob an opportunity because you have a degree, the job pays above average wage so because the salary cannot buy you a house does not mean the job is not worth committing to. smiley
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:37am On May 18, 2011
Onye Babe:

Point being? The term graduate only implies the person has completed a university degree programme, it does not mean they have the skills for the job even though the role is not classed as a high skilled position neither does it mean you should get paid a certain amount. There are many graduates around the world who do the same thing, you don't snob an opportunity because you have a degree, the job pays above average wage so because the salary cannot buy you a house does not mean the job is not worth committing to. smiley

True: Your Qualifications does not equate actual job skills or experience
True: Being too qualified for a low-paying job-role does not mean you should snob it
True: Low Take-home pay (as long as it is above average) does not mean you should not be committed to the job

However the gripe is not about all of the above but particularly about the gripe below

Argument: Considering the size of the Airtel's Nigeria customer-base and the frequent customer-experience issues non-technical (average-skilled) Staff have to deal with, if Take-home pay cannot be reconciled with present economic hardship, then work hours must be reduced
Argument: If Airtel's profits allow, then pay-increase must follow to match the extra man-hours demanded by the company
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by OnyeBabe1(f): 9:56am On May 18, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

True: Your Qualifications does not equate actual job skills or experience
True: Being too qualified for a low-paying job-role does not mean you should snob it
True: Low Take-home pay (as long as it is above average) does not mean you should not be committed to the job

However the gripe is not about all of the above but particularly about the gripe below

Argument: Considering the size of the Airtel's Nigeria customer-base and the frequent customer-experience issues non-technical (average-skilled) Staff have to deal with, if Take-home pay cannot be reconciled with present economic hardship, then work hours must be reduced
Argument: If Airtel's profits allow, then pay-increase must follow to match the extra man-hours demanded by the company

Interesting argument, thank you.

However, one of the reasons Zain was sold to Airtel was because the profit margins were such that it showed no sign of improvement. People get stuck in their ways whether efficient or not, this level of inefficiency and the shortsightedness of people to see that they have to tighten the purse strings, is why businesses fail.

I find that most workers in Nigerian dont appreciate the need to downsize. Mobile phone tariffs in Nigeria are amongst the highest in the world and we all blame the government or other people but we never think that maybe if the company paid less to match the market rate or a bit above it or stop employing celebrities for adverts or stop the annoying unimaginative competitions and gimmicks they use, we might just get better price and service and thus more satisfied customers and less hassle for the staff.

This is my opinion and nobody has to agree that is why we are different.
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by haydesh: 11:42am On May 18, 2011
@oladelove
So what is NCC doing about the excesses of all the telecoms companies?
NLC you mean

I weep for this country because all these incidents a traceable to bad leadership.Our leaders don't have the interest of the citizens in mind.you dare not try this in South Africa.Our leaders can likened to the biblical Esau who sold his birth right for a pottage.What a piteous fate!

Let them try it here in SA and let see if their bottom line and stock will not be affected by CCMA/labour court judgements

@ymozay
Its unfortunate we still face situations like this in Nigeria, while Airtel is suppose  to improve the welfare of its staffs to boast their morale,they are busy trying to fustrate them.Where are our Labour laws?

Good question to ask

It's a good thing we are beginning to see the value of a relevant progressive labour law which is in place, implemented, monitored and has necessary support structures/institutions

This is the core of our discussion on Nigeria Labour Forum

Nonetheless with privileges and protections comes responsibilities!
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by Edzy: 4:27am On Jun 09, 2011
Its unfortunate!My schoolmate that works in the Call center in Abuja informed me that his last month(MAY) salary has not been paid,and the Management is not giving any reason as to why their was a delay in the payment salary.Its only in Nigeria that things like this happen,its only here that things like this are happening and the government is not even aware that a big company like Airtel that is making huge profit from Nigerais is refusing to give its staff what rightly belong to them,they are not asking for any thing but reward for labour,how do you expect someone working for 74k in a month who has not been paid for 48days today to put in his best?.
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by hollandis(f): 8:03am On Jun 09, 2011
Y'll just yapping bull s**t.What ever happened to resignation?If you are not happy in a place,you move
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by hollandis(f): 8:04am On Jun 09, 2011
And if you don't have the guts to move,then shut the F$$K up
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by DICKtator: 9:42pm On Jun 09, 2011
saw this on the news tonight-NTA News to be precise. The workers have finally thrown caution to the wind and are protesting openly . Let's see the outcome, the saga continues
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by DisGuy: 9:52pm On Jun 09, 2011
Saw it too, TVC but the strike/protest looks uncoordinated
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 10, 2011
[/color] What can I say, I had an encounter with this indian guy, it did not go too well between us tho I ignored him and went my way. Airtel should pity the simplicity of the Nigerians citizen they use as workers instead of taking advantage of it.
And i think our Govt, should speak up for us if their hands are clean on this issue.
I wonder what they saw when the papers where signed[color=#990000]
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by DICKtator: 9:43am On Jun 10, 2011
What an irony or is it paradox of life.Isn't it ironic that an unconfirmed whooping sum was paid tuface to be the face of airtel while those that spent not less than 4yrs in university are earning paltry sum in a telecommunication entity?
isn't it an irony that they go by the motto "feel free" while they enslave their very own employees?
talent is da ish. just make sum cash outta ur white collar and endeavour to B.Y.O.B- b your own boss
dats wat majority shld be gunninn for,
and for the skul of thot that insists that the aggrieved employees shld quit,shey na by force? inna way ive also thot that way 2uuuuuuuuuuu,
hmmmmmmmmmmm, keepin our fingers crossed,
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by phonneh: 11:41pm On Oct 01, 2011
go to ZA, ghana and even tanzania, there are labour laws and there is a minimum expected by companies to pay their workers!!! Why is it that anything that works in other countries will never work here in Nigeria?! It shows that our leaders do not have our interest at heart. What has the federal government done about the sacked Airtel workers issue? NLC n ko? Those ones are just figure heads,

Enough is enough, lets all stand up for our rights!
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by Akainzo(m): 10:17am On Oct 05, 2011
phonneh:

go to ZA, ghana and even tanzania, there are labour laws and there is a minimum expected by companies to pay their workers!!! Why is it that anything that works in other countries will never work here in Nigeria?! It shows that our leaders do not have our interest at heart. What has the federal government done about the sacked Airtel workers issue? NLC n ko? Those ones are just figure heads,

Are the rates offered by Airtel below minimum wage in Nigeria?
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by kayswag100(m): 12:14pm On Oct 05, 2011
@Onye Babe,
are u really employed or u still ask 'daddies' for money? How would a right thinking Nigerian agree with a 60% salary cut( put urself in our shoes and tell me what d hec u 'd do?
Pls educate urself and argue constuctibely!
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by kayswag100(m): 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2011
Hollandis, u too!
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by haydesh: 2:51pm On Dec 04, 2011

With such an outdated labour law, non-biting labour body and legislature couple with "at least I have a job" attitude, well that's the way it is and gonna be

Nonetheless, not all NGN establishment are slave drivers
However rather pity most are

It's even alarming when the mentality of a CEO or CFO or whatever CxO is just to use resource to keep the coy going without a genuine interest in the well-pay and well-being of the resources!!!
Re: Airtel’s Slave Yard by Russialane(m): 12:30am On Dec 05, 2011
@[b]onyebabe and alleycat[/ you both hAVE SAID IT ALL Nigeria is really doing things the upside down way are you kidding me 3 days off in a week and you still get paid lol and still you guys complain what the indians are trying to do now is what should hAVE been in place a long time,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NPOWER: August 2022 Stipend Has Finally Been Received / Updated Top 10 Recruiting Firms In Nigeria Inwith U Can Get Jobs With / Full List Of Best N-power Programme And Description To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.