Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,550 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work (9885 Views)

Graduate Trainee/ Internship For Social Work Student / Is Studying Physics Actually A Useless Course In Nigeria? / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:22pm On Jul 12, 2021
iamehmakute:
Our elders say e that must eat yam with red oyel must have mastered the act of eating with curved elbows hanging in the air.

From your write up I can say you were given the course, that is not bad. After all half akara is better than none.
My son follow my advice, search for forums and online communities where people in the same field like yours connect. You'll learn alot from them and from there you'll get a head direction of what path you want to take.

But you goal should be to save up and leave this country, except you're really good in that field and wouldn't mind becoming a lecturer.because not so many people understand what social work entails. Including me advicing you.

Continue chewing my efiat

Elder, I doff ma cap for your esteemed observation, I'll look into this ASAP

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:23pm On Jul 12, 2021
Ppogbae:
Social work pay in North America is extremely low.

Canada you mean? Nop it's not, it has a median salary, well that's where I'm tilting at
I just have to leave this country
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:23pm On Jul 12, 2021
illicit:
Can u teach social studies

Never, leave teaching abeg, I no even dey face there
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Zxcvbnm98: 8:24pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:

This is it, what kind of NGO! Cause right here, I'm confused
Look for the kinds that deal with human trafficking prevention, women and children/orphans welfare, domestic violence watches, internally displaced persons camps, etc. Anything that involves human interaction and is for a good cause.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:25pm On Jul 12, 2021
Bigajeff:
You can become a social worker immediately after completing your degree but if you decide to take another route, you could study a postgraduate qualification in a related area such as professional education and training. This provides skills in educating, mentoring, supporting, assessing and managing others in social work education.

There is also the option to take other vocational courses, such as the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), which allows you to work as a teacher.

If you're interested in related careers you could take postgraduate qualifications in areas such as community justice, social policy, social research or counselling.

All this in Nigeria? I don't think so, the educational situation is worrisome

I'll save up and go do postgraduate studies abroad like someone advices earlier

Also looking for scholarship
Thanks
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
Sweeetheart:
funny to those chanting find your way to abroad, ask them where them dey? flying out is easy and they're still in their villages advising

you don't know if the guy is the one sponsoring himself in school, you're shouting travel abroad

Op don't let anyone discourage you, just have a good grade and good ICT skills, you can work in a bank or any production companies. you can be an HR with HR certificate and many things

you can work as customer care rep to a reputable companies. just connect and do related professional courses once you go for your NYSC

Professional courses during NYSc like??
Thought peeps said taking professional courses during service is a waste of time

Can you hint me on professional courses related to ma field??
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by BigDawsNet: 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:

So at you saying Its not really needed to come over for studies and maybe get a job and become a PR in the states?

Bro I didn't say that

If he find his way here, its gonna be my joy even tho I don't know him...

I'm just saying that so he won't be expecting much...

$50k/yr in the US/Canada now is considered as below average income...

My point is if can come over with any better master program other than social worker...
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Sweeetheart(m): 8:34pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:

Professional courses during NYSc like??
Thought peeps said taking professional courses during service is a waste of time

Can you hint me on professional courses related to ma field??

I missed a job immediately I left service because I don't have a single professional cert then

there is HRM, social interpersonal relationship, NIM, NIMARK is not a must to be affiliated with NYSC, there are independent bodies that will coming around to LGA that you will be posted to for this thing and if you can work your way to Lagos for NYSC and you're smart, you wouldn't have any problem

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
Nuelito:
Save up small capital and japa to the western world....In this kontri, everybody na social worker except hoodlums wey dem dey use perpetrate evil and politifians

Lol
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:42pm On Jul 12, 2021
born2lead01:

Social Work is on the skill shortage list in UK. Begin registration with UK social Work authority as soon as you graduate.

Thanks, let me use Google to search it out.

Do I need to assess my degree? For academics or general?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by ORIAYO70(m): 8:42pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:
Very soon I'll be graduating from Social Work from one of the Federal University in South South Area of Nigeria, I know it's not a very popular Course in Nigeria because most people don't know what we do.

Now I want to know what next to do, What certifications to take related to my field of study, to be able to drive in smoothly

Suggestions on Where can I do internship, Volunteer and Graduate Trainee in Nigeria

Please if you have an idea or know someone who worked in an NGO, please drop all information. Thanks

I am a social worker,
But my own social worker Don shayo now
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Killermamba: 8:42pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:
Very soon I'll be graduating from Social Work from one of the Federal University in South South Area of Nigeria, I know it's not a very popular Course in Nigeria because most people don't know what we do.

Now I want to know what next to do, What certifications to take related to my field of study, to be able to drive in smoothly

Suggestions on Where can I do internship, Volunteer and Graduate Trainee in Nigeria

Please if you have an idea or know someone who worked in an NGO, please drop all information. Thanks

For Nigeria: pros no work
Con's no work
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:43pm On Jul 12, 2021
PenuelFarms:
Start serious search for scholarships abroad and make sure you have your masters in a related course preferably in the UK and pray to God to prosper your way.

It shall be well.

Amen, thanks a lot
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:44pm On Jul 12, 2021
AntiAPC2023:
graduating how soon?
Cos me I know say na 300 level you dey for UNIBEN

This one don go try my profile and posts

Baba me and you no dey the same school

If you have advice for me, just roll it in instead of killing the show

It's not bad to plan ahead
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2021
Obakashdee:
It’s amongst shortage list of skills in UK, process your license to work in Uk and search for job online, I see job everyday on social health workers everyday, atleast 3 though the pay isn’t too good but it’s something.
Richdee1 follow this advise

Thanks a lot.. on it already

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:47pm On Jul 12, 2021
Adakintroy:
My guy the whole country is one big social working field". The institution are called social institutes. Be firm and grounded in you field you will get by.

I studied sociology nested in it is psychology. It's a prime science at the moment. It's even generating laws that are govern human social interactions. But trust Nigerians to ask stupid questions like which kind work you go get from that kind course.

I just leave them to their thinking while am busy taking advantages of it

That's nice, what are you doing currently?
Working in your field?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:49pm On Jul 12, 2021
femi4love:

Very true. Get an MSc from the U.K., if you can, secure a work permit and start a great career.
My wife is both a Social worker and a Nurse here, but she’s working as a Social Worker at the moment and enjoying it. It’s a well respected and rewarding career here in the U.K.

Thanks for the heads-up

Was her BSC in Nigeria?
Was it social Work?

What country are you guys in?
Did she start her enrollment from Nigeria??

Can I talk to her, I need to get a lot of info just it's seems this country is not for me
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Ubdavis(m): 9:12pm On Jul 12, 2021
No pros o. Na cons cons u go see
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:19pm On Jul 12, 2021
[quote author=Fiestafetta post=103640735][/quote]

Big man by health social worker, you mean Medical Social Worker, please how did your family member get licensed? Can I chat with her?
I need some information
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:20pm On Jul 12, 2021
Musafatiu2:
I was impressed that someone can come here to talk about Social work.

Social work is a good course and it's recognized in some university like unilorin, unilag, Nsukka, Ui, uniben....etc.

I'm also studying Social work at University of unilorin, kwara state Nigeria. I'm currently waiting for graduating list to be out. I'll like to connect with you so that we can share knowledge together. If you don't mind, this is my WhatsApp number 0 9 0 2 9 5 3 3 4 74.
Regards, FEMZEE.

This is my number! Can you please message me?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:22pm On Jul 12, 2021
jugbada:
Brotherly, sincerely speaking if you have the mind you better find your way to North East precisely Maiduguri, Adamawa and Yobe. You will make cool money if you no dey fear BH.

You get connect for me?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
Timmi:

A lot of cons and no pros, worst of all, it will be difficult to get a job. Go back to study a course that is marketable. The one you are studying now is a waste of money and time. Let the truth be told.

This is your advice?
Go back to school? BSC in Nigeria??
No naa
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:30pm On Jul 12, 2021
CalabarDude:
Am A Social Works Student In Unical,and I Must Say Its Fun,u Get To Meet Ppl,connect And Learn Abt Life,culture An Tradition,i Wil Advice U Join Red Cross,start Volunteerin For Ngos,hospitals,ur Success Lies There

Join redcross In Nigeria, like in Benin

Now these are what I'm looking for
NGOs are not easily soughted out on Google except you ask people around. That's what I came here
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:34pm On Jul 12, 2021
kkboy:
Reach out to "unviel" via Facebook or Instagram for a more professional advice and guidance.

Is this a page or a person? There are lot of them on Facebook

Would you specify??
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by sunnymighty(m): 9:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:

Join redcross In Nigeria, like in Benin

Now these are what I'm looking for
NGOs are not easily soughted out on Google except you ask people around. That's what I came here

Op, PM me
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
Shanid:
IF YOU CAN FIND YOUR WAY TO WORK WITH THE LAGOS STATE MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT YOU WILL GAIN A WHOLE LOT OF EXPERIENCE BUT THE Pay is small....YOU MAYBBE LUCKY TO BE SPONSORED ABROAD FOR TRAINING.....

Nice idea?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
ictplotter:

Greatest Uniben!!!

Great!!!
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:46pm On Jul 12, 2021
sunnymighty:

Op, PM me

Check your mail
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:47pm On Jul 12, 2021
ORIAYO70:

I am a social worker,
But my own social worker Don shayo now

How?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:48pm On Jul 12, 2021
Sweeetheart:

I missed a job immediately I left service because I don't have a single professional cert then

there is HRM, social interpersonal relationship, NIM, NIMARK is not a must to be affiliated with NYSC, there are independent bodies that will coming around to LGA that you will be posted to for this thing and if you can work your way to Lagos for NYSC and you're smart, you wouldn't have any problem

I really don't want Lagos as NYSC
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 9:49pm On Jul 12, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Bro I didn't say that

If he find his way here, its gonna be my joy even tho I don't know him...

I'm just saying that so he won't be expecting much...

$50k/yr in the US/Canada now is considered as below average income...

My point is if can come over with any better master program other than social worker...

50k dolls a year is something to start with while he giddy up and take more certifications to improve his earning strength!
Thanks for the advice
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Peterosky(m): 10:04pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:

.My dear brother in the same profession, do not be discouraged by the comments of people who do not really know anything about your course of study. To start with, in Nigeria today, your course of study doesn't really matter if you want a white collar job.This is because we exist in an era of man know man.The implication is that you must be connected, or better still, highly connected if you want a better job irrespective of what you study in the University. That is why today you can see an engineer working in a medical fem,and so on and so forth. But again, you would have been told in school that Social Work is multi faceted and multi discipline, meaning that as a social worker, you can work anywhere due to what you stand to offer every organization.For instance, you may chose to practice as a social worker. But beyond that, you are accepted in every organization both Uniform and none Uniform. You can work in the hospitals, schools, and other such organization. As a social worker, I am working in a Uniform formation with my certificate. So,don't be discouraged. You are studying a good course.All you need to do is to get connected if you want a good job. Wish you all the best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Banking Jobs!!! / Nigeria Police Begin Screening Of 210,150 Candidates July / Acr Nig Ltd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.