Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,863 members, 7,956,263 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:48 AM

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work (10128 Views)

Graduate Trainee/ Internship For Social Work Student / Is Studying Physics Actually A Useless Course In Nigeria? / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Banking And Finance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Dolarman(m): 10:33pm On Jul 12, 2021
Richdee1:
Very soon I'll be graduating from Social Work from one of the Federal University in South South Area of Nigeria, I know it's not a very popular Course in Nigeria because most people don't know what we do.

Now I want to know what next to do, What certifications to take related to my field of study, to be able to drive in smoothly

Suggestions on Where can I do internship, Volunteer and Graduate Trainee in Nigeria

Please if you have an idea or know someone who worked in an NGO, please drop all information. Thanks

Studying Social Work is not a bad idea, but you must get a very good grade to attract employers as a graduate trainee. In recent times, your qualification doesn't matter but your proficiency, smartness and cognitive level can be the game changer. I had my first and second degree in Social Work in Nigeria. Afterward, applied to different companies as graduate trainee and I was called for different test and interviews, which I eventually got an offer as community liaison officer in an oil and gas company. Just 2 month in the job, I was assigned to work with the account department to assist on some back logs. This opportunity was a game changer, as I was able to match others in performance, speed and accuracy. In no time I was converted to the department and made a Supervisor handling inventories and it had been an amazing experience. I have added other certifications to my resume and presently doing another Masters in Human Resources and planning to get certified by CIPMN. This will open better opportunities in future as learning is a continuous adventure.

Traveling is good but, but once you don't have enough to secure this, you might be living in illusion. You can try out Brandon University Manitoba. The university is relatively cheap and they have Post Graduate Studies in community Development, which I was once admitted for but unable to secure the study permit because of an unfair decision by the ECO.

Just put your best in your studies and graduate with a very good grade with the above stated qualities, you will never regret it, if you hustle smart and pray for God's favour.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 2:15am On Jul 13, 2021
Dolarman:

Studying Social Work is not a bad idea, but you must get a very good grade to attract employers as a graduate trainee. In recent times, your qualification doesn't matter but your proficiency, smartness and cognitive level can be the game changer. I had my first and second degree in Social Work in Nigeria. Afterward, applied to different companies as graduate trainee and I was called for different test and interviews, which I eventually got an offer as community liaison officer in an oil and gas company. Just 2 month in the job, I was assigned to work with the account department to assist on some back logs. This opportunity was a game changer, as I was able to match others in performance, speed and accuracy. In no time I was converted to the department and made a Supervisor handling inventories and it had been an amazing experience. I have added other certifications to my resume and presently doing another Masters in Human Resources and planning to get certified by CIPMN. This will open better opportunities in future as learning is a continuous adventure.

Traveling is good but, but once you don't have enough to secure this, you might be living in illusion. You can try out Brandon University Manitoba. The university is relatively cheap and they have Post Graduate Studies in community Development, which I was once admitted for but unable to secure the study permit because of an unfair decision by the ECO.

Just put your best in your studies and graduate with a very good grade with the above stated qualities, you will never regret it, if you hustle smart and pray for God's favour.

WOW WOW! This really touched me.
You've scaled slot of heights

But I want to ask, what companies did you apply for graduate trainee?
Did you add any NGO to it?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by BigDawsNet: 8:04am On Jul 13, 2021
Richdee1:

50k dolls a year is something to start with while he giddy up and take more certifications to improve his earning strength!
Thanks for the advice

Well that's to start with is okay for a just arrived dude....

In my neighborhood $50k is an average income...like you said he can always get more certificate or proper study like PHD after msc....
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Shanid(m): 1:49pm On Jul 13, 2021
Richdee1:

Nice idea?
SURE, YES...EXPERIENCE IS VERY IMPORTANT IN THE FIELD. EVEN IF YOU WANT TO TRAVEL ABROAD YOUR EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD WILL BE AN ADDED ADVANTAGE. WHILE YOU ARE IDLE, @ OP VISIT THE MINISTRY OF YOUTHS AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT IN YOUR STATE AND VOLUNTEER.
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by UltimateStarman: 6:26pm On Jul 14, 2021
Richdee1:
Very soon I'll be graduating from Social Work from one of the Federal University in South South Area of Nigeria, I know it's not a very popular Course in Nigeria because most people don't know what we do.

Now I want to know what next to do, What certifications to take related to my field of study, to be able to drive in smoothly

Suggestions on Where can I do internship, Volunteer and Graduate Trainee in Nigeria

Please if you have an idea or know someone who worked in an NGO, please drop all information. Thanks
good evening boss.... I'm a social work Fresher can I get materials from you Sir
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 8:08pm On Jul 14, 2021
UltimateStarman:

good evening boss.... I'm a social work Fresher can I get materials from you Sir

evening big man! What school?
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by UltimateStarman: 9:27pm On Jul 14, 2021
Richdee1:

evening big man! What school?
university of Ilorin
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 12:37pm On Jul 15, 2021
UltimateStarman:
university of Ilorin

When you resume! You'll get every needed materials as you progress. There's really no need
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 4:49pm On Nov 23, 2021
sunnymighty:

Op, PM me

Please you've not reply me!
Kindly drop your WhatsApp number
Re: What Are The Pros And Cons Of Studying Social Work by Richdee1(m): 4:59pm On Nov 23, 2021
Dolarman:

I hope you see this
Please can I get your format for Graduate Trainee applications?

Thanks a lot Sir!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

TOTAL E & P Nigeria: 2018 Massive Recruitment!!! / Top 12 Graduate trainee jobs to apply for in 2018 Easily / NUPEMCO Test Invite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.