Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates (24861 Views)

FG Reinstate 18 As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / New Retirement Age For Teachers Approved By FEC / President Buhari Okays 65-year Retirement Age For Teachers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by prowriterss: 3:21pm On Jul 13, 2021
Ok
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Suspect33(m): 3:22pm On Jul 13, 2021
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by royalfarms: 3:22pm On Jul 13, 2021
ijustdey:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/senate-proposes-18-as-age-for-utme-candidates/

Idiots that couldn't propose the right marriage age and stop child marriage. Misplaced priorities everywhere..

2 Likes

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2021
God have mercy... What the Bleep is wrong with Nigeria?

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by highbee02: 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2021
Kudos
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by famzynet: 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2021
grin
The stupidity of the people in our legislative cannot be quantified. And other countries have 20yrs old who are already professors in core areas. Why have they not made age for marriage 18years. Why will the military and other government jobs place maximum age limits for jobs then? We just have idiots as leaders in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by SUGARCyprian247: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
ijustdey:

By the time you fail 3 times, you will be 21.

Which kind country be this?

Abolish The Damn JAMB

1 Like

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
Ynix:

When some kids become PHD Holders at 18, who made our political office holders stupid like this?

That's a very very tiny minority of kids.

Plus some of those kids eventually break down.

One of my siblings went to secondary school with a girl who entered at the age of 8 years old. Naturally, the child was still a child....and she still repeated the year.

Let kids develop slowly, not quick quick.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by mapet: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
Why not leave Universities to determine that age benchmark for entry instead of this time-wasting endeavour
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Kayharry(m): 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
This people no get sense . We be say most of den no go school .
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by gurunlocker: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
This country will always frustrate someone.... 18 in a country that is not working? I believe 16 is still fair.

You get to secondary school at 10 and finish 16.

But with 18, you might wait several years doing nothing and with this our employers that will request you have 10 years experience at the age of 24 before you can be shortlisted for a job, then we are on a long thing.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
What concerns them with that?

Is that Nigeria's pressing issues at the moment?

I'd like to know how they arrived at 18.

JS 1 at 11 years

SS 3 at 16 years

Most write jamb at that point.

Most fail and rewrite at 17.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by LegendHero(m): 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2021
These guys don kolomental.

I wrote my UTME when I was 14years.

So with this law, someone in my shoes then have to wait for 4 years before writing UTME?

This law shall not pass, ase edumare!

1 Like

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2021
free2ryhme:

Are these people mad
I don't understand yet at 31 you can't apply for some Jobs... There should be no age cap on entry to school so long u can cope... At 18 some guys are already graduate in Europe so what the Bleep that Akwa ibom senator should shut up
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2021
SUGARCyprian247:

By the time you fail 3 times, you will be 21.

Which kind country be this?

Abolish The Damn JAMB

And replace it with what?

Before there was JAMB, universities held their matric admission exams separate from each other. You know what that means in today's Nigeria if government brought that back (at least in the good old days before Jamb there was some meritocracy)..unrestricted nepotism, and too much power in the VC's hand to do and undo.

JAMB is the least worse of several bad options.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Ghostmode2two(m): 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2021
Ynix:

When some kids become PHD Holders at 18, who made our political office holders stupid like this?
In Nigeria?
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Sunisonflex39(m): 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2021
What are they smoking over that chamber..
So now person will finish secondary school at 14-15 and wait for extra four or three years to write Jamb..
Let's not even talk about the years jamb will waste in failing u..
Tufia.

Looking for a side income
As a student and low income earners via Afillated marketing

COME LET ME SHOW YOU A SITE THAT PAYS 10K-15K EVERY 2WEEKS WITH or WITHOUT REFERRALS
DM ME ON WHATSAP

Check my signature for digit.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by kayuseful: 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2021
One point they raised is that age has a lot to do with learning.. But don't we have 16yo who are more intelligent than 20yo?

Yet companies are not prevented from age limiting when recruiting
When you consider ASUU strike, plus covid break, plus school shutdown due to fear of bandits, plus nysc delays you better start in time.

Even if you have to set age limits, 18 is too much. Many children comfortably begin secondary school at 10. Plus 6yrs secondary, that's 16yrs at graduation. Many students are in this category. But, hey! Since the politicians don't even have their children schooling here, they don't care
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Ofadaman(m): 3:27pm On Jul 13, 2021
Finished Secondary at 14 , gained admission at 15 , I was done with school by 20, served at 21 and started working at 22.

Most.entry level jobs now have age limit of 25yrs and below.. how would people survive.

Yet young girls are married off at an age of 12yrs..

1 Like

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by donprinyo(m): 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2021
Mumu bill. When will u people declare emergency on unemployment?
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Sirpaul(m): 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2021
whereas their children abroad at that age are writing final year project.... tueh this country is finished.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by samwash(m): 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2021
Am not surprise at all, a country that don't value education at all.
They can get married to a girl child at 12 but the same child has to wait till 18 before writing an exam.
What a messy we found our self in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2021
Sunisonflex39:
What are they smoking over that chamber..
So now person will finish secondary school at 14-15 and wait for extra four or three years to write Jamb..
Let's not even talk about the years jamb will waste in failing u..
Tufia.

Looking for a side income
As a student and low income earners

COME LET ME SHOW YOU A SITE THAT PAYS 10K-15K EVERY 2WEEKS WITHOUT REFERRALS
DM ME ON WHATSAP

Check my signature for digit.

Why should kids finish school at 14 or 15 years of age?

That's too young and is not right.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by einsteine(m): 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2021
Yet another form of stupidity. There is no need for a minimum age. There is need for minimum performance. 110/400 getting admitted into Bayern University should be more concerning to them.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by einsteine(m): 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2021
ACCA allows you to start their diploma programs at 16
This is for a course that would lead you into a profession o
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by Karleb(m): 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2021
These people are foolish sha.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by lawsbanks: 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2021
Silly. I got into university with jamb below 18 and I didn't have learning problems. This is bullshit.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by harmony75: 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2021
We have praised the house today but why this Naw do they know how long it takes an average student n NIGERIA to gain admission this jamb that should be scraped is what they're saying from 18years old should take it's like the house are jobless
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by BigBashiru: 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2021
ijustdey:

your job as senators isn't worth 13million abi na 26 million per month.
Re: Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates by phorget(m): 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2021
Dem go don tear eyes finish by 18, how will they be serious? It's better you get education at an early age when things of the world hasn't taken much of your thoughts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Katsina NCE Holder Celebrates His Graduation On Facebook (Photos) / Webometrics Ranks UNN First In Nigeria / Funaab Sug President Was Beaten And Harrased By The Nigerian Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.