Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines (21185 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / My Trip To Aba / Experience At The Nigerian Embassy London (with Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by deezzle(m): 11:25am On Jul 17, 2007
Am sure y'all have seen their advert on CNN, smooth, hmmn well, their planes are clean and new and a bit spacious, the meals, wonderful( i had meals over and over) their hosts/hostesses are generous and courteous BUT, their management is terrible.

We were delayed in Lagos and on getting to Doha, the London bound plane was just leaving. They then connived ro refuse us entry into town just because they didnt want to pay for our accommodation in their hotels. We had to stay in the airport for over 8 hours for the next flight.

Meanwhile other nationals like Indians and Filipinos were allowed. It was a terrible treatment. and their staff never have information! I will suggest that they pack their shit and leave if they cannot treat us with the respect we deserve.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by VOR(m): 12:13pm On Jul 17, 2007
Entry into Qatar may have nothing to do with the airline,
the question is do Nigerians require visas to enter Qatar?
If they do and you and the other Nigerians didn't have them
then the Qatar immigration authorities are within their rights
to refuse you entry.

Although having said that you may have qualified for
a twenty four hour transit visa, but in most cases the grant of such
a visa is discretionary.

1 Like

Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by onatisi(m): 4:37pm On Jul 17, 2007
thanks a lot for the timely advice i was about to book a flight with them to the uk i think i willl have to think twice . i must confess i was attracted by their low rate . well i think not all that glitters is gold anyway .
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by VOR(m): 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2007
onatisi:

thanks a lot for the timely advice i was about to book a flight with them to the uk i think i willl have to think twice . i must confess i was attracted by their low rate . well i think not all that glitters is gold anyway .

@Onatsi

I don't think you should shelve your plans to fly Qatar Airways
because of deezle's experience. The problem arose only because
he missed his connecting flight. Chances are that is a rare occurence.

And for peace of mind why not look into getting a Qatar transit(not airside) visa
so if it does happen you will be able to leave the airport?
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Tats(m): 6:56pm On Jul 17, 2007
VOR:

Entry into Qatar may have nothing to do with the airline,
the question is do Nigerians require visas to enter Qatar?
If they do and you and the other Nigerians didn't have them
then the Qatar immigration authorities are within their rights
to refuse you entry.

Although having said that you may have qualified for
a twenty four hour transit visa, but in most cases the grant of such
a visa is discretionary.
This could happen to you on any other airline and you will not be allowed into the country if you require a visa. Try missing you KLM flight in Amsterdam to any other country and see if the Immigrations there will allow you into Amsterdam. Same for most countries. Its just that I had noticed some time back that there is a short time interval between when the Lagos flight arrives Doha in Qatar and when the next flight to London leaves. So any delay in Lagos could cost you a long wait in Doha.

VOR:

@Onatsi

And for peace of mind why not look into getting a Qatar transit(not airside) visa

Really, you should not base your flight plans on this single case. Have you heard what people go through with other airlines and at airports? Your choice of airline will be very limited if people told you their experiences.

Transit visa is a good option but not sure how easy the process will be to get it. If the airline will get it for you, then that will be fine.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Jakumo(m): 5:14am On Jul 18, 2007
A person I know took Quatar Airlines from California via the UK and  Doha  to Lagos, because the person was trying to save money.  The $400 dollars saved on the air ticket was quickly recovered by Quatar Airlines when they slammed a $600 excess baggage charge on the travelers luggage for the London - Doha - Lagos leg of the journey, and if that was not enough, the travel time from London to Lagos increased from the normal 5  hours to 17 gruelling hours, much of which was spent counting floor tiles in Doha airport.

Personally I would not consider patronizing Quatar Airlines even if the entire journey was offered free of charge with the promise of topless hostesses to massage my dong en-route.   Quatar Scamlines  is patently fraudulent in its bait-and-switch "lower priced" airline ticket advertising campaign.  Travel Quatar Airlines at your own peril, and if you have lots of time and money to waste.  What a bunch of scammers.  SSSShit.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by deezzle(m): 8:35am On Jul 18, 2007

how come on both trips, the connecting flights were missed? i know all about transit visa but its only right that ur airline takes care of u. Emirates booked a hotel for those that were affected in a similar situation. the problem with qatar is that they didnt wanna spend so much on accomodation. dem wan all to be profit.period!!!!
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by folanusi(m): 9:29am On Jul 18, 2007
A lot of shit happens on airlines. especially those departing or bound for african destinations. undecided undecided

I had a bizare experience with British Airways flying from Lagos to London.

This is actually unbelievable shocked shocked but they ran out of food undecided it was hilarious, grin grin i couldnt believe it, u know how they ask you on board if you wanted chicken, fish or vegetarian, well after serving about a third of the passengers, they told us that there was no more food available except vegetarian,

Trust 9Ja people, all the Old men and women begin Voke. grin grin

it was disgraceful. generall had very Good experience with KLM and Virgin. people also say Lufthansa is good. this doesnt meaqn that they will also not have thier bad days, just hope u will not be on board when these occur. cheesy cheesy
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by VOR(m): 11:48am On Jul 18, 2007
Folanusi,

If I were you I would write to BA customer services and complain.
Don't let them get away with it. You will be surprised with the compensation
they will offer you.

On a BA flight from Tampa-London we were delayed on board the airplane at Tampa airport for
three hours due to a faulty on board computer. I wrote and complained and they offered 50%
reduction on any BA flight for 12 months.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Gamine(f): 12:08pm On Jul 18, 2007
I worked wiv Qatar Airlines fo a wyl, i tot they were pretty good undecided
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Tats(m): 12:12pm On Jul 18, 2007
folanusi:

A lot of shit happens on airlines. especially those departing or bound for african destinations. undecided undecided

This is actually unbelievable shocked shocked but they ran out of food undecided it was hilarious, grin grin i couldnt believe it, u know how they ask you on board if you wanted chicken, fish or vegetarian, well after serving about a third of the passengers, they told us that there was no more food available except vegetarian,

I had a similar experience last year march on a British Airways Lagos to london flight. The host gave me vegetarian dish when I had requested for chicken and when I complained about it, he told me they had run out of chicken. He behaved very annoyingly that day and incurred the wrath of a lot of people on the flight. Others and I did write to BA about his behaviour and actions and all I got was a mail telling me they were sorry and would look into the issue. How come they can't do simple analysis to know that they ought to provide more non-vegetarian food on their lagos flights since a large number of Nigerians seem to be non-vegetarian?

1 Like

Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by DisGuy: 1:00pm On Jul 18, 2007
well, their planes are clean and new and a bit spacious, the meals, wonderful( i had meals over and over) their hosts/hostesses are generous and courteous BUT, their management is terrible.

no wonder they keep running out of food cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by nana(f): 1:13pm On Jul 18, 2007
Dis Guy:

Ouch! cheesy
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by rubie(f): 2:19pm On Jul 18, 2007
Well my friend went 2 South Korea for a youth confrence on Qatar airline, She said they were given 1st class treatment even though they were not on 1st class. She said @ Doha, u use vehicles 4rm one check to the other. She said the airport is very large compared to our Muritala Mohammed Airport. I was to go as well, but was denied leave by my manager.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Tats(m): 2:56pm On Jul 18, 2007
Dis Guy:

It is BA that runs out of food and not Qatar Airways.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by BlackMamba(m): 3:07pm On Jul 18, 2007
It's not your fault that as a Nigerian you must go through harrowing experiences because of foreign regulations aimed to guard against illegal practices from suspect nationals. eg transit visas. Until a stable democratic government gains back some of our lost image and credibility, this problem will persist for Nigerians and other similar nationals. Fly direct if you can or make every arrangement for your comfort if choose to make pit stops.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 18, 2007
Do they also spray shelltox before the plane  leaves Nigeria?
I hate it when they bring out the can of insecticide and let it loose like they are about to exterminate us.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Pamperme: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2007
I think you should report to Servicom and NCAA, they have a way of santioning airlines. You have a right to be served right.
Servicom website is www.servenigeria.com. Cheers
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Jairzinho(m): 5:01pm On Jul 18, 2007
folanusi:

it was disgraceful. generall had very Good experience with KLM and Virgin. people also say Lufthansa is good. this doesnt meaqn that they will also not have their bad days, just hope u will not be on board when these occur. cheesy cheesy

hahahahahaahahahahahah, this is too much,
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by igbonla(m): 5:59pm On Jul 18, 2007
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by igbonla(m): 6:04pm On Jul 18, 2007
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by bankyiie(m): 6:45pm On Jul 18, 2007
Kai these airlines sef!!! I don tire
An uncle of mine coming in from the UK on Iberia came in 3hrs after his supposed arrival time. made we wait at MM Intl for like 4hrs (cos i went early) .
No qualms cos like i say better late than be the late. I tink we should all appreciate that these airlines need to be 101% sure the planes are fit to fly b4 they take off that y there are so many delays and besides i have also noticed that not all the airline staff are fully aware of the processes involved and instead of referring you to a more senior person they yarn dust. What i do is that i always insist on seeing a more serious person than then i calmly explain my predicament to him grin
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by ronnieslimz(f): 7:45pm On Jul 18, 2007
@poster; why in the first place did go for such airline that u have to get to their home country before getting to your destination? (well sha its more cheaper) no offence plz!!

you should have expected this and even your travel agent should have explained better!!
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by spikedcylinder: 8:13pm On Jul 18, 2007
ronnie-slimz:

@poster; why in the first place did go for such airline that u have to get to their home country before getting to your destination? (well sha its more cheaper) no offence plz!!

you should have expected this and even your travel agent should have explained more better!!

wtf?
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by deezzle(m): 8:15pm On Jul 18, 2007
ronnie-slimz:

you should have expected this and even your travel agent should have explained more better!!
there is a word in d dico called "adventure"!!!!
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by ronnieslimz(f): 8:23pm On Jul 18, 2007
spikedcylinder:

wtf?
hmnn. . u got me gurl!!!

deezzle:

there is a word in d dico called "adventure"!!!!
so why complaining, what u experienced is worth an adventure!!!!lol
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by deezzle(m): 8:25pm On Jul 18, 2007
ronnie-slimz:

hmnn. . u got me girl!!!
so why complaining, what u experienced is worth an adventure!!!!lol

the truth is, no matter wat the situation is, an airline shouldnt just be allowed to do stuff like that to people. Emirate no be airline??
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by ronnieslimz(f): 8:32pm On Jul 18, 2007
anyhow sha. . that's true, but i believe they'll improve u know they're just starting
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Millionair(m): 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2007
Who are the owners of the Qatar Airlines. It does really sound like a Nigeria Airlines. I know for sure that Nigerian Airlines will not treat Nigerians in such a rudely way.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by romeo(m): 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2007
i prefer going home with Iberia because it takes me home straight even though their food is always the same, if you are frequent a traveler you'll notice that! one day i'll bring my own food from home to teach how to change diet. but i'll still complain to the airline company

Millionair:

Who are the owners of the Qatar Airlines. It does really sound like a Nigeria Airlines. I know for sure that Nigerian Airlines will not treat Nigerians in such a rudely way.

it belongs to Qatar
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Tats(m): 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2007
Millionair:

Qatar airways is not a Nigerian airline. It is an airline that partly belongs to the Government of Qatar in the middle east. It is no doubt one of the best airlines in the world. Just unfortunate that there was a flight delay in Nigeria resulting in a missed connecting flight in Doha,Qatar and the traveller was not allowed into Doha. It is not unexpected as it is immigrations that control entry into countries and not the airline.

The solution is that when we improve our country, we will no longer need transit or entry visas into several countries. in December 2005, South African authorities introduced transit visas for nationals of Nigeria and some other countries passing through SA to another country and we did not need this prior to that time. I thought Nigerians should have gone from no transit visa required to also no entry visa required, instead transit visas were intrduced in SA. I think they eventually suspended transit visa requirements going by these links and they said the affected countries did not complain about the transit visa introduction.

http://www.queensu.ca/samp/migrationnews/article.php?Mig_News_ID=4130&Mig_News_Issue=23&Mig_News_Cat=8

http://www.queensu.ca/samp/migrationnews/article.php?Mig_News_ID=2187&Mig_News_Issue=12&Mig_News_Cat=8
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by dejia(m): 11:45pm On Jul 18, 2007
Guys, THanks for this topic. i was thinking of buying Qatar airline from JHB to HK via Doha, i think i will change my Mind and stick to SAA.
folanusi: I cant beleive an airline like BA cld run out of food! didnt they know how many passengers they had onboard before they took off? or were they expecting Manna?
i have never had a bad experience, i strictly fly SAA. and i think they are wonderful. i will recommend it to anybody going to SA,HK, eventhough its more expensive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fear Of Kidnapping Forces Abuja, Kaduna Travellers To Use Rail Lines / Nigerians In Cambodia. / The Poor State Of Moro Bridge In Kwara State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.