Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,701 members, 7,955,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:49 AM

My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines (21567 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / My Trip To Aba / Experience At The Nigerian Embassy London (with Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by BlackMamba(m): 12:35am On Jul 19, 2007
The unfortunate thing with us is that we tend to value ourselves a lot higher than we're collectively valued. This often increases the shame and anger we experience when we're often disrespected and ignored abroad. Only way out is to keep working on the gains of a democratic government to improve our country.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by DisGuy: 12:38am On Jul 19, 2007
BlackMamba:

The unfortunate thing with us is that we tend to value ourselves a lot higher than we're collectively valued. This often increases the shame and anger we experience when we're often disrespected and ignored abroad. Only way out is to keep working on the gains of a democratic government to improve our country.

That is soooo true!!!!! people miss connecting flights everywhere around the world by the way, not just because they are nigerians  undecided
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Everbright(f): 7:18am On Jul 19, 2007
Quite unfortunate my bros but it could be any other airline.
I will advise youcover the shit up with the over and over meal you got ha ha grin
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Badman888(m): 8:03am On Jul 19, 2007
your trip wasnt bad at all, with British airways i had the worst experience in my life, I was already in ma place to lagos 4rm london and after 30min of bein inside waitin they had to evacuate because of a suspected package in the terminal, we had to all go outside the airport for abour 5hours and we were about 2000 - 3000 people after getting back into the airport our flight was now cancelled and they said we shld take our bags when we have nowhere to go, it finally took us 5hrs to get out bags, no hotel accomodation they gave us blankett to sleep on da floor, i slept in da depature hall with thousands of people and 4am they woke us all up that we should go and rebook our flight and now stayed outside in a line for 8hrs, then finally got a flight 4 2days later and da only food dey gave us was sandwich and juice which was towards da end of the whole stuff. Me i advice people to avoid heathrow there is always one problem or another every year,
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by mimiko(f): 10:12am On Jul 19, 2007
QATAR OH QATAR!
went to Dubai with Qatar we had a stop over in Doha for 8 hours and Dubai just 1 hour away from Doha coming back was thesame treat SIXTEEN shocked hours of my life wasted it wasnt fun i tell u
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by hannydarl(f): 11:47am On Jul 19, 2007
You complain about Qartar airways? then try turkish airways the british managed to give you blanket and sandwich the turks will just tell you they have no provissions for you and you cant go outside the airport with a nigerian passport. On my return to nigeria through istanbul in turkey I was told by the turkish airways guy that sold the ticket that since I was a transit passanger they will take care of my accomodation but when I got to the airport at istanbul they told me they have just 5 rooms immagine just five rooms for an international airport for all transit passanger to ocupy and that the rooms are occupied already the front desk staff will litterarily laugh at you and treat you like shit it doesnt matter where you are from as long as your passport cant get you out of the airport without a visa.
The turks are rude and dissrespectful you wont notice it though until you are stranded and need their help thats when you know they dont give a shit bout you I stayed in the airport looking at passersby and sleeping on the metal chairs for 24 hours they dont give you watter or food you have to buy those if you need them and a night at the hotel costs 140 euros or 200dolars I think the best way to deal with these kinds of problem is to avoid any carrier that will require you to spend more than 6 hours between transit flights turkish airways is totaly f, cked if you have to spend more than 6 hrs between transit I advise you consider other alternatives.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by lelele: 12:23pm On Jul 19, 2007
@hannydarl
Wow interesting, were you in istanbul on friday/saturday, if you were, i think our experience on that day was just a one off, they had so many problems on that day,
but i am not taking breif for them, they definitely have to improve.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by spikedcylinder: 1:02pm On Jul 19, 2007
What is with the grammer on this thread sef?!?!? I still intend to use Quatar next month as i have used them before and it was hitchfree. I think there will be somewhere who will have something to say about every airline that operates in this world!
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by hannydarl(f): 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2007
@lelele

Its not a one off thing that was what I thought when I first travelled through istanbul last year and I dint let it bug me when I bought the ticket again in may to return to nigeria in july. probably we are not talking about the same flight days cos my trip was dated 3rd july and if your flight was disturbed too it goes a long way to show that they have problems with handling passangers welfare with most of their flights.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by MP007(m): 6:10am On Jul 20, 2007
First of all, what da hell was u thinkin flying a god dam airline like quatar or wtf, geez! tryin to save some money , see wetin do u now?

You should have talked to the airway management of the country u was, they always have a ticket they give delayed passangers that mandates airlines to give special accomodation and feeding to delayed passangers

On the otherhand, were u carrying the famous "green passport? " , if u were, forget it , folks don't have respect for it , so shit happens,  You don't even want to get me started with my own version when i use to have naija passport , fukkk!
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by suprted(m): 10:58am On Jul 20, 2007
Qatar airways is good.

things people should know.

Cheap tickets are good if there are no extenuating circumstances. you got charged 400 dollars excess baggage because you probably most likely did the typical naija thing and packed your entire house wink for someone like me, who is generally always under limit (watch me go over when i head home in a couple of weeks) i would never go over.

BA is f**king overrated and for the price of an economy seat, you can actually fly business on lufthansa. very respectful and patient staff. the only issue is the need to get a transit visa everytime but i even avoid this cos i generally have an entry visa whenever i go home.

unfortunate about the food, when i am sitting in one of those flying coffins, thats the only thing that i look forward to, so to be given vegetarian crap, that said, some muslims will only eat the vegetarian option to be sure that they don't violate any halal laws so perhaps they have a point.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by uchetobi(f): 10:12am On Jul 24, 2007
Virgin is the sweetest and most stree free flight to the UK. They understand the meaning of customer service. Pls write BA off.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by angel101(f): 11:27am On Jul 24, 2007
I disagree with most posts here. Were are treated shabily abroad because we allow it. Deamnd ur just rights and u will be treated differently.

@poster
u should have demanded to be treated properly. Like u said they were just trying to save money and as such would not offer what ought to be standard.
U missed the connecting flight for no fault of yours. It was their fault and theyought to take responsibility. It doesnt matter what airline it was. My sister got a less than satisfactory treatment from virgin Nigeria and she complained. She was offered an upgrade for her next flight.
I have missed a connecting flight on Ethiopian to Dubai and i was put in a hotel and properly catered for but some people on the same flight spent the night in the airport!
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by mimiko(f): 2:02pm On Jul 24, 2007
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by VOR(m): 7:55pm On Jul 24, 2007
angel101:

I disagree with most posts here. Were are treated shabily abroad because we allow it. Deamnd your just rights and u will be treated differently.

@poster
u should have demanded to be treated properly. Like u said they were just trying to save money and as such would not offer what ought to be standard.
You missed the connecting flight for no fault of yours. It was their fault and theyought to take responsibility. It doesnt matter what airline it was. My sister got a less than satisfactory treatment from virgin Nigeria and she complained. She was offered an upgrade for her next flight.
I have missed a connecting flight on Ethiopian to Dubai and i was put in a hotel and properly catered for but some people on the same flight spent the night in the airport!

Angel,

What you appear to forget is that if you miss your connecting flight,
regardless of who is to blame, and you don't have a visa for the transit
country where one is required. You ain't coming out of the airport and
that has nothing to do with the airline but everything to do with the
immigration authorities of the country through which you are passing.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by deezzle(m): 7:21am On Jul 25, 2007
house, i forgot to mention that wat they did was to call all nigerians together and asked us to bring our passports and connnecting tickets. we were all hopeful that ,ok we will get a transit V. next thing, on the tickets were written not allowed into Qatar by immigration. next thing, people started screaming and cursing amd saying all sorts like i will slap u, etc. when they were even trying to give the passports back in the whole chaos, the nna's were like the Qatari babe should pronounce d names written on the passport. How now? I volunteered to help cos they had already started getting violent.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by VOR(m): 9:12am On Jul 25, 2007
deezzle:

house, i forgot to mention that what they did was to call all nigerians together and asked us to bring our passports and connnecting tickets. we were all hopeful that ,ok we will get a transit V. next thing, on the tickets were written not allowed into Qatar by immigration. next thing, people started screaming and cursing amd saying all sorts like i will slap u, etc. when they were even trying to give the passports back in the whole chaos, the nna's were like the Qatari babe should pronounce d names written on the passport. How now? I volunteered to help because they had already started getting violent.

Well this would appear to confirm what I was saying. No visa, no entry.
Qatar airways can't be blamed for that as they are not responsible for the
immigration policy of Qatar.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by angel101(f): 10:02am On Jul 25, 2007
VOR:

Angel,

What you appear to forget is that if you miss your connecting flight,
regardless of who is to blame, and you don't have a visa for the transit
country where one is required. You ain't coming out of the airport and
that has nothing to do with the airline but everything to do with the
immigration authorities of the country through which you are passing.

The airline can stand as guarantor to the immigration to allow u entry. (ur passport may be held by the immigration authorities) That is what was done when i had a similar experience in Ethiopia.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by VOR(m): 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2007
Angel,

Then the authorities in Ethiopia were most understanding to you.
Perhaps you are really one hot babe. wink

In most jurisdictions that would not happen especially if
there is the option for you to obtain a transit visa prior
to travel.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 26, 2007
VOR:

Do they also spray shelltox before the plane leaves Nigeria?
I hate it when they bring out the can of insecticide and let it loose like they are about to exterminate us.

babyosisi i hope u r joking with this comment cos am allergic to insecticide and parfumes i hope they dont plan to kill me when i use them

do u mind listing airlines that operate in nigeria that do so ? if u know of any?
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by synderella: 3:08pm On Feb 25, 2008
I make it a point of duty to stay away from any funny sounding airline, i certainly dont want to have to stop in any scary country, no thanks!
BA is too tight for me, always get claustrophobic when i fly with them, had no problem with the food so far though.
Air France is not bad at all, great food too guys!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by TOYOSI20(f): 8:25pm On Feb 25, 2008
@POSTER

That must have been an awful experience.

Sorry to hear that.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by ayomifull(f): 1:24pm On Feb 26, 2008
""Air France is not bad at all, great food too guys!!!""

But they sure know how to get passangers' baggages lost.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by darkroll(m): 5:43pm On Feb 26, 2008
I wonder how Qatar airways got the awards they got , i was flying qatar airways from Seychelles to Dubai , i was delayed in qatar for 8hrs .
And Qatar to dubai is just one hour , same thing happened when i was returning .

Its not about cheap ticket or not , I was on BA some months back , the vegetarion food got finshed and what they got left was chicken and some other stuffs , and my girlfreind had to eat at that time (she got ulcer)and she is vegetarian, she survived on water and juice .

I made BA paid dearly for this , i went to thier main office in UK and talk to thier regional manager , they offered me and my girlfreind 50% discount on any BA ticket we purchace for 12 month .
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by Remii(m): 7:38pm On May 17, 2009
Delay is a major snag of Qatar Airways, they seem not to have respect for timeliness. Flight delay is about 75% probability. However they are cheap, almost half the price of Emirates on the the same route. There business class treatment is superb too.

I enjoyed watching Nigeria home video "Beautiful Souls" starring Genevieve Nnaji on board the flight. I hope they get more Nigeria clips.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by adamhumza(m): 7:44am On Nov 18, 2009
Qatar Airline is one of the good airline.
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by riversman: 11:35am On Nov 18, 2009
PEOPLE PERISH FOR THEY LACK KNOWLEDGE!!!!

Folks read on the Geneva convention on Airline treatment of passengers. Also, flights origination from Europe or going to Europe have some rules that favor passengers in situations as the poster's.

Qatar Air was supposed to give you a stamped ticket for Immigrations - indicating your flight had a delay over 8hrs and you were in need of sanitary care from overnight travel grin

Most airlines always try to dodge thier responsibility when the passengers dont make a FUSS, in 2005 my KLM flight to AMS to ABuja, was delayed. we were on the tarmac(actually at the daparture gate) for 8hrs+. Amsterdam to Abuja is about 8hrs, well we were on the plane with no food, ridiculous, but it was naija passengers so they could care less, Well, the flight was cancelled after there were 2 fights onboard and 2 passengers were arrested and deported. DRAMA filled flight. Gist aside, upon return to the terminal, we were all given tickets for the next day and stamps on the tickets for IMMIgration. All types of passports were represented, Naija passport holders were given 1 day visa's as well. The immigration officer will act according to the Airlines request, provided you satisfy all thier reasons not to deny your entry,

NOTE: Immigration did not ask for Visa's as they issued transit visa stamps on the passports for evryone with a valid unexpired passport. The only pasengers denied entry to Netherlands were passsengers that had overstayed visa's in EU countries previously, lol grin oyibo dey fear, make dem no go loss,

Overall, Qatar was being cheap, i had the same experience with Delta in Naija for delayed bags and I had to quote the customers bill of rights and the mgr quickly asked me to hush and compensated me(they gave me free hotel/3meals daily/call cards, $400 travel voucher), Mind you other passengers went home unhappy with no bags and no compensation, because they did not know thier rights and wouldnt listen to me, I TRIED TO TELL THEM, but they were concerned with abusing the SAHCOL agents, hisss
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by AjanleKoko: 4:44pm On Nov 18, 2009
BlackMamba:

Too true. Delusions of grandeur. However, sometimes, complaining works! I've seen it in action, and will do it again if needed.
February this year I was stuck at CDG with my colleagues, having missed our connecting Air France 10.30am flight to Lagos. We were on our way from Barcelona.

Unfortunately we all carried a single entry schengen, and we had been stamped out by the Police. Meaning we had to sit in the airport lounge till the next flight, which was exactly 24 hours away. We complained bitterly, and the Air France guys went through an obviously well-practised charade of attempting, and failing, to apply for emergency visas for us.

At 6pm, we were moved to another business class lounge in a deserted terminal (i think 2E), where, to our surprise, we discovered a whole bunch of 'refugees' like us, who missed their flights and were stuck at the airport. Guys from the Balkans, India, Cuba Ukraine, etc, who were not EU Citizens. Rather than 'rake' like us, they simply made themselves comfortable. One of them even told me that since he was an economy passenger, this was even his first time of seeing the inside of a business class lounge!

Omo, as true Nigerians, we kept up the raking, until the desk shift changed, and one Senegalese lady who happened to be dating one of the airport Police (they call their Customs/immigration chaps Police in France). She somehow sorted us out, and we were allowed to go to a hotel. I stayed at the Millenium, at the airport area, and next day we were off. In fact, one Colombian lady even attached to us, and that was how she was able to escape!
Re: My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines by joxiri: 1:19am On Nov 20, 2009
Poster next time just take a direct flight, its not worth the hassle

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Healthy Baby On Italy-bound Migrant Rescue Ship (pics) / Plane Crash-lands In Benin / Medview Plane Makes Emergency Air Return To Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.