Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 (3258 Views)

European Union Backs Okonjo-Iweala For WTO Job – Bloomberg / ECOWAS Endorses Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For WTO Job / President Buhari Nominates Okonjo-iweala For World Trade Organization DG Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 10:21am On Jul 16, 2021
SOUNDBITE OF APPLAUSE

We cannot be satisfied as long as basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating: for men only.

So even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all humans are created equal.

https://www.npr.org/2010/01/18/122701268/i-have-a-dream-speech-in-its-entirety

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 11:11am On Jul 16, 2021
bjdon:

Please wake up and smell the coffee. Nigeria is a lawless country. Sensible international investors will never come here unless the entire legal and regulatory framework is overhauled. You need to stop thinking that this current democratic system can provide the leadership the country needs. It cant. We need a complete change of course, a firm dictator who will rule with an iron fist and ensure the rule of law is totally adhered to. Anything else is just more of the same.

Are you saying we are not yet sufficiently intelligent enough to use democracy to provide ourselves with the leadership that will change the course to where we would willingly choose to follow?

Then we better start learning because if you remember, we fought really hard for this democracy so its a bit too soon to be running back to Abacha!

On saying that, the irony of running back to Buhari doesn't elude me, and to Obasanjo, so if President Abacha had lived say lol.

Discipline yourselves, people.
We should be too old to be undisciplined!

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Brian47(m): 12:24pm On Jul 16, 2021
budaatum:

I think she will sacrifice herself for us if we asked her but we must not allow her to sacrifice herself by doing our fair share of the work.

I will gladly follow her lead more than anyone else I can currently think of. Wouldn't you?

Even if she runs, Nigerians would never vote for her. Take Ezekwsili for instance she's been running for president since 2015's election and she's only gotten like 20 votes in 2015's elections and 2019's elections.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by bjdon: 12:31pm On Jul 16, 2021
budaatum:

Are you saying we are not yet sufficiently intelligent enough to use democracy to provide ourselves with the leadership that will change the course to where we would willingly choose to follow?

Then we better start learning because if you remember, we fought really hard for this democracy so its a bit too soon to be running back to Abacha!

On saying that, the irony of running back to Buhari doesn't elude me, and to Obasanjo, so if President Abacha had lived say lol.

Discipline yourselves, people.
We should be too old to be undisciplined!

"Are you saying we are not yet sufficiently intelligent enough to use democracy to provide ourselves with the leadership that will change the course to where we would willingly choose to follow?".......That is exactly what I am saying unfortunately. Was it Nigerian voters who voted for Buhari TWICE. A man who has shown no ability whatsoever to lead a complex country like Nigeria.
What of the national assembly? Is it not the same Nigerian voters that vote for the senators and reps, who pass laws to legalize looting? Look at 2023, is it not the same Nigerian voters who have STILL not learnt their lesson, and would rather pick a president based on which ethnic group they belong to rather than what qualities they bring to the role.
We are simply not ready for democracy. We need focused dictatorship for at least another 20 years
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 1:04pm On Jul 16, 2021
bjdon:

"Are you saying we are not yet sufficiently intelligent enough to use democracy to provide ourselves with the leadership that will change the course to where we would willingly choose to follow?".......That is exactly what I am saying unfortunately. Was it Nigerian voters who voted for Buhari TWICE. A man who has shown no ability whatsoever to lead a complex country like Nigeria.
What of the national assembly? Is it not the same Nigerian voters that vote for the senators and reps, who pass laws to legalize looting? Look at 2023, is it not the same Nigerian voters who have STILL not learnt their lesson, and would rather pick a president based on which ethnic group they belong to rather than what qualities they bring to the role.
We are simply not ready for democracy. We need focused dictatorship for at least another 20 years

So we have a couple of years to the next election. If we begin to educate ourselves now nkọ?

We'll at least acquire a taste for dictating to ourselves. We might work much harder to achieve it say in 10 years if we found it good for food, instead of hoping a dictator will force what we most likely wouldn't want on us in 20.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 1:10pm On Jul 16, 2021
Brian47:

Even if she runs, Nigerians would never vote for her. Take Ezekwsili for instance she's been running for president since 2015's election and she's only gotten like 20 votes in 2015's elections and 2019's elections.

They should join forces, team up, strength in numbers and all.

https://www.vitalvoices.org/people/obiageli-ezekwesili/

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by bjdon: 1:27pm On Jul 16, 2021
budaatum:

So we have a couple of years to the next election. If we begin to educate ourselves now nkọ?

We'll at least acquire a taste for dictating to ourselves. We might work much harder to achieve it say in 10 years if we found it good for food, instead of hoping a dictator will force what we most likely wouldn't want on us in 20.

Do you see any iota of education occuring? For goodness sake we have been running this democracy since 1999 and we actually worse off today than we were then. The rule of law has completely broken down. It's an open question weather there will even be elections in some parts of the country, if the current rate of insecurity were to persist.
I am a realist. I would love to see free and fair elections product forward thinking visionary leaders, who would take this country to the next level, but i am sorry bro, nothing I've seen in the last 20 years convinces me that Nigeria as a society is ready for that. We need a full 'system reset'. Those who have conspired to plunder and bring the country down, must be dealt with severely. Only when this is done will a deterrent be set in stone.
Even if by some miracle, a quality person like NOI were to become president, do you think they would let her work? You will see the national assembly reject nominees simply because they are upright and refuse to bribe. You will see proposed bills that should benefit the nation, either amended or rejected because they threaten the interests of the powers that be. I am sorry to tell you bro, but we are simply not ready. Na only strong hand Nigerians dey understand!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 1:43pm On Jul 16, 2021
bjdon:

Do you see any iota of education occuring? For goodness sake we have been running this democracy since 1999 and we actually worse off today than we were then.

I see quite a lot of education occuring, thank you very much. I alone do a lot of teaching and do see the result of my teaching, and I bet that Nairalanders in the hundreds have learnt a lot here too though far be it for me to go talking for anyone. Open a thread. Ask if people have become educated on Nairaland or not. See what you get.

bjdon:
The rule of law has completely broken down.
As in, we ourselves have become lawless.
I agree

bjdon:
Even if by some miracle, a quality person like NOI were to become president, do you think they would let her work?
You call her "a quality person" so yes, they will let her work.

If she is a "quality person" and were to become president, we who appreciate quality that we know Nigeria has never had, will stand by her side so they let her work.

I can see it already. The old mamas marching with their tits out to confront any assembly that stands in her way. You know men will cower in fear!

As for not being ready, I believe that if we try harder we'd be ready by the election after the next or the one after that so long as we go on learning and working towards the change that we want to see.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 2:07pm On Jul 16, 2021

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 2:12pm On Jul 16, 2021

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 7:44pm On Jul 16, 2021

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Iyasaburi: 10:20pm On Jul 16, 2021
budaatum:

No, she isn't. Not as far as I know. I first figured to ask Nairalanders what you all think before I asked her.

Not with the might of Nairalanders behind her will any of the useless politician frustrate President Ngozi-Iweala, and she is far too strong to give up a half done job.

I can't agree less my brother

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 5:29pm On Jul 18, 2021
TripleOh7:
I think that's a terrible idea.

Not because she's Igbo, but because she was part of Jonathan's profligate era.

I suspect strongly she was an American mole/puppet.

Read "The Economic Hitman" to understand better.

I'll gladly vote for any capable Igbo hand as president of Nigeria but definitely and absolutely not this woman.

I don't like her complicity in Jonathan either, but she surely must have learnt by now to be much wiser and do the right and proper thing. I mean, mothers, just like fathers, are never perfect, we all must know, so why expect her to be squeaky clean? Is she not much cleaner than most?

Imagine our pleasure reporting her to WTO and UN and World Bank and Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology and everyone else in the world if she misbehaves as our president?

She will be the first president whom the youths will have her ear. A mother of many children with diverse characters, is her qualification.

Femiblacky, please give 10 copies.

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Femiblacky(m): 5:42pm On Jul 18, 2021
budaatum:

I don't like her complicity in Jonathan either, but she surely must have learnt by now to be much wiser and do the right and proper thing. I mean, mothers, just like fathers, are never perfect, we all must know, so why expect her to be squeaky clean? Is she not much cleaner than most?

Imagine our pleasure reporting her to WTO and UN and World Bank and Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology and everyone else in the world if she misbehaves as our president?

She will be the first president whom the youths will have her ear. A mother of many children with diverse characters, is her qualification.

Guys , you heard him, why not drop your requests either here or via WhatsApp

What are you waiting for

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2021
budaatum:

Look, if she didn't know about the corruption going on in Nigeria at the time, then it shows her as incompetent.

If she did know, then she was complicit.

I can't shake the nagging theory that she was planted to ruin the Nigerian economy by the US.

Look at what a failure Jonathan's administration was, yet she was rewarded immediately with various appointments by the western world.

Very suspicious if you asked me.

People seem to forget that this woman also has dual citizenship and could easily dump that of Nigeria.

In fact, she rode on her American citizenship to clinch the coveted position at WTO.

This comment here made me smile.

You'll report her to the people giving her instructions on how to run the country to their benefit? Lol

If you make her president, you've sold Nigeria to the West.

And no, they aren't coming to develop your country anymore than you sucking the last bit of juice out of an orange makes it more succulent.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 7:10pm On Jul 18, 2021
TripleOh7:

This comment here made me smile.

You'll report her to the people giving her instructions on how to run the country to their benefit? Lol

If you make her president, you've sold Nigeria to the West.

And no, they aren't coming to develop your country anymore than you sucking the last bit of juice out of an orange makes it more succulent.

We should not want to suck the last bit of juice out of an orange to make it more succulent, we should just plant more oranges so you buy another. Burn the building down report her and the hypocrisy of her backers or at least ridicule and make fun of them, all the same, make us aware of what they always do so we can know what it is we are fighting.

Just somehow I don't think we can so easily be sold like we have been in the past because I think we learnt a lot from slavery, and if we strive we can be even less swindled and develop our own country with their money.

Am I the only one who dreams of Lagos-Abuja in 2hrs on bullet train, and Lagos-London in the same time and to New York in 3 on Naija Concord Airline?

2050 will be upon us soon you know. In this lifetime of most of us!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 18, 2021
If only they would allow her, I would gladly vote for her, but come to think of this we have more female voters why can't they come together and vote for one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by joe54: 7:53pm On Jul 18, 2021
I give my all in support.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by MrColdsweat: 8:06pm On Jul 18, 2021
Penguin2:
Rubbish!

Is she qualified? Yes!

But in 2023, the South needs to present a tough man who will weld power in a way Buhari welded it.

Even if not to deal with the North, but to recover all the South lost in this inglorious era of Buhari.

So, no to Mummy Ngozi.

She has the world trade to reposition.
We need an expert at economics to turn things around.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 8:07pm On Jul 18, 2021
preciousademc3:
If only they would allow her, I would gladly vote for her, but come to think of this we have more female voters why can't they come together and vote for one.

Because we have not yet learnt to organise and take our country back.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Penguin2: 9:43pm On Jul 18, 2021
MrColdsweat:
We need an expert at economics to turn things around.

Sometimes some political hawks won’t let bright brains function.

That’s why you need someone with bright ideas with some touch of political sagacity and understanding of power.

Northern hawks might cage Ngozi
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 18, 2021
budaatum:

We should not want to suck the last bit of juice out of an orange to make it more succulent, we should just plant more oranges so you buy another. Burn the building down report her and the hypocrisy of her backers or at least ridicule and make fun of them, all the same, make us aware of what they always do so we can know what it is we are fighting.

Just somehow I don't think we can so easily be sold like we have been in the past because I think we learnt a lot from slavery, and if we strive we can be even less swindled and develop our own country with their money.

Am I the only one who dreams of Lagos-Abuja in 2hrs on bullet train, and Lagos-London in the same time and to New York in 3 on Naija Concord Airline?

2050 will be upon us soon you know. In this lifetime of most of us!

With what is happening to Nigeria at the moment?

I think all dreams of grandeur about Nigeria's future greatness is premature.

Let's wait first and see what's going to happen in 2022.

If Dr Obadiah Mailafia's information is wrong then we can breathe easy, otherwise we are in deep shyte.

Either way, #YorubaNationNow! #YorubaNationNowNow!!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by oyatz(m): 3:02am On Jul 19, 2021
Ikea81:
Good, finally one Nigerian who thinks. God fire anybody that calls Tinubu

2023: Okonjo-Iweala will defeat Atiku and Tambuwal in the PDP presidential primaries.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by bukatyne(f): 6:37pm On Sep 15, 2021
budaatum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YpticqS9-8

She'll be something new. And feminine.

I have very mixed feelings towards this.

Pros:
She is very smart and has done well for herself. I believe she should be able to move Nigeria economically forward and even if she wants to steal or be corrupt, she will do so with sense while growing the economy & other sectors in the country. I have no doubt in her capacity.

Cons:
1. What party would she contest under? If it is APC or PDP which is most likely to clinch her the ticket (except if we wake up and vote personalities instead of party), then she is already indebted to some demons who would be serious clogs in her wheel.

2. Nigeria has systematic corruption which would be hard to eradicate except she decides to do J. K. Rawlings style before she settles into her tenure

3. Failure due to 1 & 2 would be a huge stain on her achievements so far.

As much as I want better leaders in Nigeria, I would prefer a dark hero first to sweep it clean for two terms then the NOIs can step in for maintenance.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 6:54pm On Sep 15, 2021
bukatyne:

I have very mixed feelings towards this.

Pros:
She is very smart and has done well for herself. I believe she should be able to move Nigeria economically forward and even if she wants to steal or be corrupt, she will do so with sense while growing the economy & other sectors in the country. I have no doubt in her capacity.

Cons:
1. What party would she contest under? If it is APC or PDP which is most likely to clinch her the ticket (except if we wake up and vote personalities instead of party), then she is already indebted to some demons who would be serious clogs in her wheel.

2. Nigeria has systematic corruption which would be hard to eradicate except she decides to do J. K. Rawlings style before she settles into her tenure

3. Failure due to 1 & 2 would be a huge stain on her achievements so far.

As much as I want better leaders in Nigeria, I would prefer a dark hero first to sweep it clean for two terms then the NOIs can step in for maintenance.

Your "J. K. Rawlings style", did you mean Jerry John Rawlings? If so, Nigeria w/should not put up with despotic extrajudicial killings! Buhari, 31 December 1983 – 27 August 1985 was our version of Ghana's Rawling with his 200 year jail terms. We hoped he'd have brought back something remotely like it but na democracy we de now.

People underate this NOI. Thing is, she has the knowledge, experience and international institutional support to transform Nigeria, and all she lacks is the support of Nigerians who can't think of a better person to rule Nigeria, mind. I see an Angela Merkel in her.

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by bukatyne(f): 7:02pm On Sep 15, 2021
budaatum:

Your "J. K. Rawlings style", did you mean Jerry John Rawlings? If so, Nigeria w/should not put up with despotic extrajudicial killings! Buhari, 31 December 1983 – 27 August 1985 was our version of Ghana's Rawling with his 200 year jail terms. We hoped he'd have brought back something remotely like it but na democracy we de now.

People underate this NOI. Thing is, she has the knowledge, experience and international institutional support to transform Nigeria, and all she lacks is the support of Nigerians who can't think of a better person to rule Nigeria, mind. I see an Angela Merkel in her.

Nobody underrates NOI:

We are saying the system we want her to change needs a cleanup first.

This is not about the sex either; it is about her personality thus far.

I believe a repentant/changed Dizeani or Stella Oduah would do a better job than NOI to clean the system first (which would include a lot of killings or jail terms) then NOI can step in.

What you call despotic extrajudicial killings is what I call cleanups which is what we require a dark hero for.

I look at issues on ground and proffer solutions; I don't do theories someone dreamed up in their bedroom in Chicago.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by crackhaus: 10:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
budaatum:

NOI is not a politician, Angela Merkel is a politician...

Even if she is given all the support, NOI would not make a great president.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 1:26pm On Sep 16, 2021
crackhaus:

NOI is not a politician, Angela Merkel is a politician...

Even if she is given all the support, NOI would not make a great president.

NOI is not a politician? I guess you fail to realise how political she would have had to be to get to her current post. But Nigeria does not need nor deserve a great president, yet. Let's start with a competent president first, which I kind of feel you might agree NOI would be considering the calibre of people who would rally around her. And in say 10 years time we just might have made her and ourselves great like Merkel was able to do after so many years in post.

Do let me know whom you'd consider better than NOI please.

GERMANY BIDS FAREWELL TO ANGELA MERKEL

With six minutes of warm applause, on the streets, balconies, windows, the whole Country applauded for 6 minutes - spectacular example of leadership and defense of humanity, chapeaux!

The Germans elected her to lead them, and she led 80 million Germans for 18 years with competence, skill, dedication and sincerity. She did not utter nonsense. She did not appear in the alleys of Berlin to be photographed. She was dubbed "The Lady of the World" and who was described as the equivalent of six million men.

During these eighteen years of her leadership of the authority in her Country, no transgressions were recorded against her. She did not assign any of her relatives to a government post. She did not claim that she was the maker of glories. She did not get millions in payment, nor did anyone cheer her performance, she did not receive charters and pledges, she did not fight those who preceded her.

Yesterday, Merkel left the party leadership position and handed it over to those after her, and Germany and its German people are in the best condition ever.

The reaction of the Germans was unprecedented in the history of the Country. The entire population went out to the balconies of their houses and clapped for her spontaneously for 6 continuous minutes. A standing ovation nationwide.

Germany stood as one body bidding farewell to their leader, a chemical physicist who was not tempted by the fashion or the lights and did not buy real estate, cars, yachts and private planes, knowing that she is from former East Germany.

She left her post after leaving Germany at the top. She left and her relatives did not claim advantage. Eighteen years and she never changed her wardrobe. God be upon this silent leader.

At a press conference, a female Journalist asked Merkel: We notice that you're wearing the same suit, don’t you have any other?" She replied: "I am a government employee and not a model."

At another press conference, they asked her: Do you have housemaids who clean your house, prepare your meals and so on? Her answer was: "No, I do not have servants and I do not need them. My husband and I do this work at home every day.

Then another journalist asked: Who is washing the clothes, you or your husband? Her answer: "I arrange the clothes, and my husband is the one who operates the washing machine, and it is usually at night, because electricity is available and there is no pressure on it, and the most important thing is to take into the account the possible inconvenience for the neighbours, thankfully the wall separating our apartment from the neighbours is thick." She said to them, "I expected you to ask me about the successes and failures in our work in the government!"

Mrs. Merkel lives in a normal apartment like any other citizen. She lived in this apartment before being elected Chancellor of Germany. She did not leave it and does not own a villa, servants, swimming pools or gardens.

Merkel, the now former Chancellor of Germany, the largest economy in Europe!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by budaatum: 1:32pm On Sep 16, 2021
bukatyne:

Nobody underrates NOI:

We are saying the system we want her to change needs a cleanup first.

This is not about the sex either; it is about her personality thus far.

I believe a repentant/changed Dizeani or Stella Oduah would do a better job than NOI to clean the system first (which would include a lot of killings or jail terms) then NOI can step in.

What you call despotic extrajudicial killings is what I call cleanups which is what we require a dark hero for.

I look at issues on ground and proffer solutions; I don't do theories someone dreamed up in their bedroom in Chicago.

I guess that's why we'd argue cleanups. NOI is a woman, and cleanup means a different thing to women. If her child shits itself she cleans it up, she does not in anyway do a Rawlings cleanup on the stinky sod. And what happens if they start cleaning up those who oppose them?

But I guess I should let you be. We both know who "a repentant/changed Dizeani or Stella Oduah" would clean up, and what too.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Abohboy: 2:33pm On Sep 16, 2021
bjdon:
It does not matter who is president in 2023. It really doesn't. As long as the country retains its current inefficient political and economic structure, nothing will change.

It does matter who is president because the president will have the powwer to change the political, constitutional, administrative and economic structure of the whole nation that's literally theit job your statement makes no sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by Abohboy: 2:35pm On Sep 16, 2021
bjdon:

2 ex military leaders have been unable to restructure the country, and you think she can. Dream on

Since when did being part of the military make you a good leader? Idiot both of them were there to loot not to restructure or redevelop any part of Nigeria know this and know peace.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala For President In 2023 by iokpebholo: 3:19pm On Sep 16, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
She lack the ability and credibility to be a governor talk on president.
Another jagaba much on d loose.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Doctors Are Street Dumb And Academically Smart / Tinubu Owns All The Markets In Lagos - Joe Igbokwe Says As He List Them / "I Must Be President!" - Tinubu Drags Buhari To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.