Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition (5547 Views)

Egbesu Militants Warn Igbo Groups To Stop Attacking Dokubo-asari / 2023: Tinubu, Osinbajo Dancing In Competition They Won't Take Part In - Kperogi / Igbo Groups In Oyingbo Market In Mainland Local Government Lagos Joined Apc From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Imolastborn99: 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2021
selemempe:
I just saw this picture of Wike and Obi Cubana and it got me thinking again of what could have been if Ikwere didn't start denying their Igbo identity.

I'm from Enugu but we all in igboland know and appreciate how successful Anambra business men and women are.
People like
Arthur Eze, Innosson, Ibeto, and younger monies like Obi Cubana, Emoney, Jowizaza etc remind us all how far Anambra has come since 1970 when they got 20 pounds like the rest of Igbos.

Also,
With oil money which Rivers state commands and with political power in Rivers state firmly in the hands of the Igbo subgroups, the Ikwere could have been in competition of wealth with the Anambra and imo state elite.
Igbo society weddings and burials could have been taking place every weekend in port Harcourt if they were integrated with the rest of Igbo nation
The swag of being Igbo would have placed Ikwere and the Igbos of Rivers state in the national limelight like it does for the Anambra group.

Port Harcourt could have been the Lagos of Igbos because of the port and oil....and Lagos would not have the high number of Igbos it has today.

What Igbos lost in 1970 still gives me pains. Ikwere officially left the Igbo ethnic nationality in 1979 and took with them some other Igbo groups carved into Rivers. They all are now playing creek, isolated politics and living that creek, isolated culture and only identify as Igbos when it suits them individually.
You are right to an extent but Ikwerres are horrible sets of individuals. They are born lazy and glorify cultism and savagery
They ARE NOT IGBOS

5 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by FreeIgbos: 2:50pm On Jul 17, 2021
nengibo:

Before Rivers people were mba miri, but now because of access to sea, they love ocean pass Ijaw man

You see how most of you dwell in ignorance? You don't know what "mba miri" means but you concluded it's something insulting.

SMH.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by SlayerForever: 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2021
nengibo:

Opobo and by extension its origin Bonny is and would always be Ijaw, any revisionist or irredentist should get it through their head and save themselves heartbreak or claims of betrayal part 2

Why is Ijaw culture and language especially, second fiddle in both areas?
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Imolastborn99: 2:57pm On Jul 17, 2021
AlexBells:

Next time don't compare Anambra with Ikwerre you can say Onitsha vs Ikwerre or Nnewi vs Ikwerre, or Nsukka vs Ikwerre, or Anioma vs Ikwerre, Anambra is a state, Ikwerre is just another Igbo sub group get that fact first
Ikwerre is not an Igbo subgroup, they are an incosequential bunch of dumbos

5 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2021
selemempe:
[s]I just saw this picture of Wike and Obi Cubana and it got me thinking again of what could have been if Ikwere didn't start denying their Igbo identity.

I'm from Enugu but we all in igboland know and appreciate how successful Anambra business men and women are.
People like
Arthur Eze, Innosson, Ibeto, and younger monies like Obi Cubana, Emoney, Jowizaza etc remind us all how far Anambra has come since 1970 when they got 20 pounds like the rest of Igbos.

Also,
With oil money which Rivers state commands and with political power in Rivers state firmly in the hands of the Igbo subgroups, the Ikwere could have been in competition of wealth with the Anambra and imo state elite.
Igbo society weddings and burials could have been taking place every weekend in port Harcourt if they were integrated with the rest of Igbo nation
The swag of being Igbo would have placed Ikwere and the Igbos of Rivers state in the national limelight like it does for the Anambra group.

Port Harcourt could have been the Lagos of Igbos because of the port and oil....and Lagos would not have the high number of Igbos it has today.

What Igbos lost in 1970 still gives me pains. Ikwere officially left the Igbo ethnic nationality in 1979 and took with them some other Igbo groups carved into Rivers. They all are now playing creek, isolated politics and living that creek, isolated culture and only identify as Igbos when it suits them individually. [/s]

Stop insuting omambala with useless comparison.

Anambra is a state and ikwerre an ethnic group. why bring a whole state in comparison to a group of people....highly insulting and worst of all you are not from the state.

next time compare omambala ethnic nationality and Ikwerre ethnic nationality or better still mind your business.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 3:03pm On Jul 17, 2021
SlayerForever:

Why is Ijaw culture and language especially, second fiddle in both areas?
What Igbo culture exists in there? The Ibani language and culture remains the identity any other thing English or otherwise is foreign
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 17, 2021
selemempe:
I know. But I'm just saying
mind ur business
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 3:08pm On Jul 17, 2021
Imolastborn99:
Ikwerre is not an Igbo subgroup, they are an incosequential bunch of dumbos
Inconsequential, yet you flood nairaland with posts of igbo tears on Ikwerre matter daily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkMbxrelCo
Watch from 4:37, na special msg for u

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by SlayerForever: 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2021
nengibo:

What Igbo culture exists in there? The Ibani language and culture remains the identity any other thing English or otherwise is foreign

Smh. You have just said Igbo language and culture is non absent in Opobo.
Once you tell barefaced lies I take it one is tired of the discussion or has become mischievous.

If I'm to use your words, it would seem the second fiddle "Ibani" is the foreign element. Let me be honest I laughed when I read your first question.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by theTranslator: 3:18pm On Jul 17, 2021
FreeIgbos:

You see how most of you dwell in ignorance? You don't know what "mba miri" means but you concluded it's something insulting.

SMH.
Mba miri is "no to water "hates sea"
I understand some igbo
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Ojiofor: 3:31pm On Jul 17, 2021
BKayy:

I can see that you are delusional. It started in January and till date only Ikonso was killed by your terrorists but we still have the higher score

No be only Ikonso what about all the Itenso that was murdered or captured by terrorist army whom your FENDI master lured into Igboland to decimate you while he cruise all over the world in FENDI.
All the dead bodies that littered in FMC Owerri are who? Stop committing suicide.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 17, 2021
theTranslator:
Mba miri is "no to water "hates sea" I understand some igbo
mba (nation/people). miri (water).
mba miri simply means people of the water .
you don't understand Igbo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by theTranslator: 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2021
eduj:

mba (nation/people). miri (water).

mba miri simply means people of the water .

you don't understand Igbo
you didn't put intonation sign
Mba means "no"
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Tranquill: 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2021
Imolastborn99:
You are right to an extent but Ikwerres are horrible sets of individuals. They are born lazy and glorify cultism and savagery
They ARE NOT IGBOS

Ofcourse Ikwerre are not Igbo criminals
Ikwerre people don't put cocaine in their to.to and anus straight from Brazil like the 'unlazy' Igbos nor do they do baby factory.
Hausas, Yoruba, Ijaw and everyone else are lazy except criminals and drug peddlers. Your brains need a reset and urgently too.

Check the thread below and see Igbo cultists on rampage. 27 Igbo cultists arrested.

http://www.imotrumpeta.com/?p=29170

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 4:26pm On Jul 17, 2021
SlayerForever:

Smh. You have just said Igbo language and culture is non absent in Opobo.
Once you tell barefaced lies I take it one is tired of the discussion or has become mischievous.

If I'm to use your words, it would seem the second fiddle "Ibani" is the foreign element. Let me be honest I laughed when I read your first question.
You should laugh at your insinuation Ibani is foreign to Ibani people.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 4:28pm On Jul 17, 2021
FreeIgbos:

SMH.
One day Osu would have different meaning because of Biafra
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by SlayerForever: 4:31pm On Jul 17, 2021
nengibo:

If Igbo culture is Ibani culture then we are saying the same thing.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Igboid: 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2021
nengibo:

Ibani is foreign in Opobo. It has never been native to Opobo.
Maybe to places like Finima. But never Opobo town itself.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Igboid: 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2021
SlayerForever:

If Igbo culture is Ibani culture then we are saying the same thing.

Igbo culture is not Ibani culture.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by SlayerForever: 4:40pm On Jul 17, 2021
Igboid:

Igbo culture is not Ibani culture.

I know. I'm saying, if what is practiced in Opobo is wholly Ibani then perhaps Ibani is Igbo culture. Even in Bonny there is Ibani and also staunch Igbo practices there.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Igboid: 4:46pm On Jul 17, 2021
By the way. Like someone already explained.
"Mba" has three meanings in Igboll language.

1. Nation/people/clan.

2. Stranger

3. No

In the first usage you see it used to name towns like "Mbaise" (five nations), Mbano(four nations), Mbaitolu(Nine nations), Mbaukwu(Great nation).
You see it also in names. Like Mbazuluike= let the people rest.
Mbakwe( when the people agrees). Mbanaso- This is actually the original name of Jaja of Opobo.
It is from this first rendition of Mba that we named the riverine areas, Mba mili. Simply meaning a nation of people who live on water.

In the second use. You use this to refer to a stranger.
" Obu onye mba", means he is a stranger.
Somehow I feel this use of "mba" is abridged.
I think the full word should be "mba ozo" meaning "another nation".

Lastly is "Mba" for No.
And this is not universal in Igboland.
Owerri people say "Oloo" for No, Enugu and Ebonyi say "Waawa" .
It's mainly parts of Anambra, Enuani and Abia that use "Mba" for No.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by aribisala0(m): 4:55pm On Jul 17, 2021
But Ikwerres rejected Igbo Identity a loooooong time ago.Why are you so desperate. for them to be part of you

The Ikwerre are the ONLY ethnic group that seized Igbo property under abandoned property law. That tells you how much they like you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9fH9116rb8

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Boudiccao: 4:55pm On Jul 17, 2021
eastOFwest:

I know Ikwerre people very well. Their ways, culture and lifestyle is very alien to Igbos. Even other tribes from other states know the Ikwerre and their notoriety. The closest you get to Ikwerre in Igboland are some dysfunctional Owerri people living in the city centre. Let me just leave it like this.

What is dysfunctional Owerri people? Some of you that call yourselves Igbos should be ashamed of yourselves!

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 4:56pm On Jul 17, 2021
Igboid:

Ibani is foreign in Opobo. It has never been native to Opobo.
Maybe to places like Finima. But never Opobo town itself.
Opobo(Anglicized word for Opubo ama) is not a town but a kingdom, and saying Ibani is foriegn is just stupid and that's puting it lightly, Ibani is not just a language, its the people and Identity of Bonny and Opobo kingdoms, how many times do we have to tell you we don't want to Igbo na by force?
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 4:57pm On Jul 17, 2021
SlayerForever:

I know. I'm saying, if what is practiced in Opobo is wholly Ibani then perhaps Ibani is Igbo culture. Even in Bonny there is Ibani and also staunch Igbo practices there.
Oya name the Igbo culture practiced in any of the Ibani Kingdoms
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by SlayerForever: 5:20pm On Jul 17, 2021
nengibo:

Oya name the Igbo culture practiced in any of the Ibani Kingdoms

Explain what Nwaotam and Ukemkpa, Ofornogu, Ejesilem and Ugelemma society are doing there if it is all Ibani. Explain the Igbo spoken in both places. Or you will say it is not Igbo undecided

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 17, 2021
theTranslator:
you didn't put intonation sign
Mba means "no"

google translate go kill you bro.

mba means many things in igbo ,

mba with intonation means no

mba without it means a tribe/people

mba also means speaking in a harsh tone

Abegi leave Igbo for igbo's

mba miri basically means people of water

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by eastOFwest(m): 5:47pm On Jul 17, 2021
Boudiccao:

What is dysfunctional Owerri people? Some of you that call yourselves Igbos should be ashamed of yourselves!

Maybe you should calm down and read again. I said "some dysfunctional". This does not imply all Owerri people a dysfunctional. Same way saying "some loud" Lagos people does not imply that all lagos people are loud.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Boudiccao: 5:55pm On Jul 17, 2021
eastOFwest:

Maybe you should calm down and read again. I said "some dysfunctional". This does not imply all Owerri people a dysfunctional. Same way saying "some loud" Lagos people does not imply that all lagos people are loud.

In other to show your displeasure for the ways of the Ikwerres,you had to juxtapose them with Owerri because of your sentiments about Owerri Igbos.
Whatever you find in Owerri,you will equally find across Igboland but you chose to be divisive and negative with your post and ended up making zero sense. Abeg!
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Igboid: 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2021
nengibo:

Opobo(Anglicized word for Opubo ama) is not a town but a kingdom, and saying Ibani is foriegn is just stupid and that's puting it lightly, Ibani is not just a language, its the people and Identity of Bonny and Opobo kingdoms, how many times do we have to tell you we don't want to Igbo na by force?

Who is "we" ?

Bayelsa people like you? grin

4 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by theTranslator: 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2021
eduj:

google translate go kill you bro.

mba means many things in igbo ,

mba with intonation means no

mba without it means a tribe/people

mba also means speaking in a harsh tone

Abegi leave Igbo for igbo's

mba miri basically means people of water
I didn't use Google translate
The mba i know is NO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obi Of Labour Party Storms The Bloc Into Pole Position Poll Show; Yet Again! / We Had No Idea Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 To US Government, INEC Informs Tribunal / I'v Start Regreting Why I Voted For Gej.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.