Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,479 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition (5539 Views)

Egbesu Militants Warn Igbo Groups To Stop Attacking Dokubo-asari / 2023: Tinubu, Osinbajo Dancing In Competition They Won't Take Part In - Kperogi / Igbo Groups In Oyingbo Market In Mainland Local Government Lagos Joined Apc From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Malawian(m): 11:55pm On Jul 17, 2021
OperationcowLeg:
I do understand ur points and they may b valid.That said, for a group to not want to have much to do with a larger group with suppose similar culture shld be enough for the larger Igbo nation to have a thorough introspection about their dealings with the smaller groups.
For example, Mazi Kanu continues to talk about Biafra that would include these smaller groups .were they consulted? When u do that ppl will feel uneasy because it's a blatant disrespect.
That is not it. Ikwerre found oil under their feet and decided they won't be Igbo anymore so that only they will enjoy the oil money. They should enjoy their 30pcs of silver.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by heniford2: 12:43am On Jul 18, 2021
eduj:

mba (nation/people). miri (water).

mba miri simply means people of the water .

you don't understand Igbo
why you dey lecture isi iwu our language naw grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 4:24am On Jul 18, 2021
Igboid:

Who is "we" ?

Bayelsa people like you? grin
If you like call me Onitsha person , access to sea kill you there. EOD
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 4:33am On Jul 18, 2021
SlayerForever:

Explain what Nwaotam and Ukemkpa, Ofornogu, Ejesilem and Ugelemma society are doing there if it is all Ibani. Explain the Igbo spoken in both places. Or you will say it is not Igbo undecided
Ugelemkpa not ugelemma, theres also Amatemeso(town deity) since you're one to read meanings to names, Uke is not Igbo culture and is not played anywhere in 'Igbo land' but was borrowed from Ndoki(Aminadokiari), our trade partner and brother, to Kweniama then Opuboama as a who before reaching Okoloama and is now uniquely Ibani with the omuaru displays.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nextdoor84(m): 4:52am On Jul 18, 2021
nengibo:

Ugelemkpa not ugelemma, theres also Amatemeso(town deity) since you're one to read meanings to names, Uke is not Igbo culture and is not played anywhere in 'Igbo land' but was borrowed from Ndoki(Aminadokiari), our trade partner and brother, to Kweniama then Opuboama as a who before reaching Okoloama and is now uniquely Ibani with the omuaru displays.

Ijaw- the revisionist! Always dragging everything. When the time comes, you guys will have to return to Ghana and Sierra Leone your original homelands.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by SlayerForever: 10:27am On Jul 18, 2021
nengibo:

Smh. It seems you are in limbo. What about the other societies mentioned. You evaded them or what? What about the Igbo language?

Aminadokiari lol. No need to argue that one. Talk about the others.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by EMMY76: 11:43am On Jul 18, 2021
BafanaBafana:
I wonder why the so called Igbo subs always vehemently refuse to associate themselves with igbos.
The tribes around yorubas in kogi and other places will always introduce themselves as Yoruba
The north is made up of over a hundred tribes, but they all don't mind being called hausas.
But call an agbor person Igbo, fight go start.

Something is definitely wrong

This whole arguments and confusion have it's roots in oil politics just take away the oil and everyone will definitely come to their senses. Fulanis in many african countries proudly identify themselves as fulanis no matter the countries that they find themselves there's no oil politics to divide them.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by FreeIgbos: 9:57am On Jul 19, 2021
theTranslator:

Mba miri is "no to water "hates sea"
I understand some igbo

Mba means people!
Miri means water!

Mba miri loosely means people that live by the waters!!

Depending on the contest it is used, Mba also means no. Like when one says "mba, ekweghim" which means "no, I disagree". But the "mba miri" 100% means people that live by the waters!!

Gosh, unbridled hate has really done serious damage on many people.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by theTranslator: 10:18am On Jul 19, 2021
FreeIgbos:

Mba means people!
Miri means water!

Mba miri loosely means people that live by the waters!!

Depending on the contest it is used, Mba also means no. Like when one says "mba, ekweghim" which means "no, I disagree". But the "mba miri" 100% means people that live by the waters!!

Gosh, unbridled hate has really done serious damage on many people.
brother
No kill yourself
Mba means no too
I am not Igbo
At least be happy I know some Igbo undecided

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by BafanaBafana: 11:16am On Jul 19, 2021
EMMY76:

This whole arguments and confusion have it's roots in oil politics just take away the oil and everyone will definitely come to their senses. Fulanis in many african countries proudly identify themselves as fulanis no matter the countries that they find themselves there's no oil politics to divide them.
Are you saying they are denying igbos because they have oil? Or igbos are claiming them just because of the oil?

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 19, 2021
A Comparative Study of Palatal Rugae Patterns among Igbo and Ikwerre Ethnic Groups of Nigeria: A University of Port Harcourt Study

Background. Palatal rugae pattern of an individual is species specific and is said to be as unique as finger print.

Aims and Objectives. The aim of this study was to identify and compare the rugae pattern of Igbo and Ikwerre populations in Nigeria for human identification purposes.

Materials and Methods. The present study was conducted from random sampling of University of Port Harcourt students. A total number of 140 subjects (70 Igbos and 70 Ikwerres) of age bracket of 18–30 were used.

Results. The different shapes of rugae were obviously observed with varying degrees of predominance among the two tribes. The most predominant patterns are wavy and curvy followed by straight. The Igbos were predominantly wavy while the Ikwerres were predominantly of curve and straight patterns. The Igbo males and females had more wavy pattern with percentage values of 51.6% and 59.9% which is significantly higher in proportion () as compared to the Ikwerre males and females with percentage values of 35.6% and 40.6%. On the other hand, Ikwerre males and females proved to be curve dominant with percentage values of 45.2% and 34.4% and this showed significant difference in proportion () as compared to the Igbo males and females with percentage curve values of 27.9% and 26.1%.

Conclusion. The result obtained from this study is clear evidence of ethnic differences in relation to sex; hence the incidence of predominance is population dependent.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ari/2014/123925/

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2021
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by ariesbull: 1:09am On Jul 22, 2021
selemempe:
I just saw this picture of Wike and Obi Cubana and it got me thinking again of what could have been if Ikwere didn't start denying their Igbo identity.

I'm from Enugu but we all in igboland know and appreciate how successful Anambra business men and women are.
People like
Arthur Eze, Innosson, Ibeto, and younger monies like Obi Cubana, Emoney, Jowizaza etc remind us all how far Anambra has come since 1970 when they got 20 pounds like the rest of Igbos.

Also,
With oil money which Rivers state commands and with political power in Rivers state firmly in the hands of the Igbo subgroups, the Ikwere could have been in competition of wealth with the Anambra and imo state elite.
Igbo society weddings and burials could have been taking place every weekend in port Harcourt if they were integrated with the rest of Igbo nation
The swag of being Igbo would have placed Ikwere and the Igbos of Rivers state in the national limelight like it does for the Anambra group.

Port Harcourt could have been the Lagos of Igbos because of the port and oil....and Lagos would not have the high number of Igbos it has today.

What Igbos lost in 1970 still gives me pains. Ikwere officially left the Igbo ethnic nationality in 1979 and took with them some other Igbo groups carved into Rivers. They all are now playing creek, isolated politics and living that creek, isolated culture and only identify as Igbos when it suits them individually.

Igbo have written ikwerre off specifically in rivers state .....they can't be Igbo with their lazy and backward culture

We can have Obigbo, Ndoni maybe etche

Not ikwerre.... they are just too backward

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by ariesbull: 1:13am On Jul 22, 2021
AlexBells:

Next time don't compare Anambra with Ikwerre you can say Onitsha vs Ikwerre or Nnewi vs Ikwerre, or Nsukka vs Ikwerre, or Anioma vs Ikwerre, Anambra is a state, Ikwerre is just another Igbo sub group get that fact first
ikwerre are not Igbo anymore ....stop this stupidity

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by ariesbull: 1:29am On Jul 22, 2021
nengibo:

Oya name the Igbo culture practiced in any of the Ibani Kingdoms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIIqGcqSzE
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by nengibo: 2:53am On Jul 22, 2021
ariesbull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIIqGcqSzE
Borrowed Ndoki tradition, reconfigured to Ibani standard
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by ariesbull: 3:06pm On Jul 22, 2021
nengibo:

grammar

what does Ibani mean in Ijaw, I know the meaning in .......
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by caleboxylic: 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2021
selemempe:
I just saw this picture of Wike and Obi Cubana and it got me thinking again of what could have been if Ikwere didn't start denying their Igbo identity.

I'm from Enugu but we all in igboland know and appreciate how successful Anambra business men and women are.
People like
Arthur Eze, Innosson, Ibeto, and younger monies like Obi Cubana, Emoney, Jowizaza etc remind us all how far Anambra has come since 1970 when they got 20 pounds like the rest of Igbos.

Also,
With oil money which Rivers state commands and with political power in Rivers state firmly in the hands of the Igbo subgroups, the Ikwere could have been in competition of wealth with the Anambra and imo state elite.
Igbo society weddings and burials could have been taking place every weekend in port Harcourt if they were integrated with the rest of Igbo nation
The swag of being Igbo would have placed Ikwere and the Igbos of Rivers state in the national limelight like it does for the Anambra group.

Port Harcourt could have been the Lagos of Igbos because of the port and oil....and Lagos would not have the high number of Igbos it has today.

What Igbos lost in 1970 still gives me pains. Ikwere officially left the Igbo ethnic nationality in 1979 and took with them some other Igbo groups carved into Rivers. They all are now playing creek, isolated politics and living that creek, isolated culture and only identify as Igbos when it suits them individually.

Never in your lifetime compare any Igbo clans with useless ikwerre.

They are the least educated and poorest clan in the old eastern region.
They have nothing to do with Igbo and will never. They migrated from Benin and will be sent back to Benin once Igbo nation comes into existence.

They have nothing to offer the great Igbo nation.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by iSlayer: 1:19pm On Jul 26, 2021
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by SlayerForever: 1:31pm On Jul 26, 2021
nengibo:

What about the others angry Ofonogu, Ukemkpa, Ejesilem etc etc and the Igbo language.

You allowed me to forget.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Ariani: 1:34pm On Jul 26, 2021
nengibo:

So Ndoki is no longer Ijaw? grin angry grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Danzysb(m): 6:24pm On Jul 26, 2021
RobbStark:

I also saw No. 12-----Ijaw...Opobo.
And tomorrow one deluded fool will tell me Opobo n bonny are ibos.

I am saving this for future arguement
Ijaw deserve Opobo.Atleast Ijaw republic can start from there.
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Gambit23: 11:02pm On Aug 03, 2021
SlayerForever:

Smh. You have just said Igbo language and culture is non absent in Opobo.
Once you tell barefaced lies I take it one is tired of the discussion or has become mischievous.

If I'm to use your words, it would seem the second fiddle "Ibani" is the foreign element. Let me be honest I laughed when I read your first question.

Opobo is IGBO land,dont die because of it
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Gambit23: 11:04pm On Aug 03, 2021
RobbStark:

I also saw No. 12-----Ijaw...Opobo.
And tomorrow one deluded fool will tell me Opobo n bonny are ibos.

I am saving this for future arguement

Opobo is a place and not a tribe. Be guided..

The tribes living inside Opobo is 80% IGBO and IGBO language is the most dominant language spoken there.

Dont kill urself because of it, Face it awusa-afonja tribe

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Gambit23: 11:06pm On Aug 03, 2021
OperationcowLeg:
I do understand ur points and they may b valid.That said, for a group to not want to have much to do with a larger group with suppose similar culture shld be enough for the larger Igbo nation to have a thorough introspection about their dealings with the smaller groups.
For example, Mazi Kanu continues to talk about Biafra that would include these smaller groups .were they consulted? When u do that ppl will feel uneasy because it's a blatant disrespect.

Stop being silly,Nnamdi kanu has always talked about a referendum n nothing more. Leave this matter, eno concern u.

1 Like

Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Gambit23: 11:09pm On Aug 03, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
Crimea was once ruled by the Russian kings. There was no time ikwere were part of any igbo union state before the arrival of the British.

Pls stop typing very useless n senseless things.

Ikwerre is IGBO, They do not need to be memebrs of any IGBO union before they become recognized as IGBO.

FYI, Ikwerre people are full members of ohaneze ndi IGBO and they also hold elected positions there.

Face ur tribe n commot mouth from d IGBOs
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Gambit23: 11:12pm On Aug 03, 2021
horsepower102:
OP take a chill pill

Ikwerre are not Igbo and will never be.

The rest of Igbos have finally accepted that and moved on.

Time for you to do so.

Awusa-afonja leave IGBO matter before e go kee u
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Gambit23: 11:13pm On Aug 03, 2021
FreeIgbos:

You're right, however they should go to hell. Like they say pride goes before a fall. We lost a war in 1970 and they found oil in large quantities same period which made them to conclude that they've arrived while we SE Igbos are finished. Now, over 50 years later, what is the scores? Are they better off in any way? No!! The windfall they expected never came for them instead outsiders outsmarted and outmaneuvered them. Today, oil era is almost over yet they're still in a sorry state.

We Igbos have nothing to do with them, so they should stay on their own and remain in obscurity.

Nice post.

But Ikwerre didnt deny their IGBO heritage because of crude oil
Re: Anambra Vs Ikwere: Two Igbo Groups That Could Have Been In Competition by Gambit23: 11:17pm On Aug 03, 2021
Igboid:
This repeated attention giving to Ikwerre people by my Igbo people is becoming embarrassing.
OP. Ikwerre is not Igbo and really have nothing to offer Ndiigbo that we don't already have.
Move on.

The silence of our parents was the main reason why so many IGBO groups across the south turned from IGBO to efulefus...Now this is the age of intelligence, We would never ever stop talking about all IGBO groups until we provide enough info online offline to clearly show that WE ALL ALL IGBOS, irrespective of where we come from.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peter Obi Hold Big Flag With Single Hand As Tinubu's Flag Challenge Trend-pics / Popular Skit Maker Cute Abiola Exit Nigeria Navy [photos] / We Had No Idea Tinubu Forfeited $460,000 To US Government, INEC Informs Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.