Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,118 members, 7,953,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:14 PM

Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? (9621 Views)

Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The Mtn Network? / Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The Mtn Network? / Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The Mtn Network? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by rman: 5:19pm On Jun 05, 2011
ogasir2011:

From your explanation it is either you are a rookie,just naive about MTN operations, or completely brainwashed by MTN in your regular trainings. MTN is the greatest RIP off Company ever known to Man.

In 2008 Benin Republic Suspended MTN operations in the Country because of unfriendly and ripping tariff to thier citizen, it took the intervention of Thabo Mbeki(Then President ) to prevail upon the Govt, before MTN could Operate again, with a condition that they will repect themselve and charge reasonable rates. In Nigeria our Govt are enjoying how they are cheating Nigerians.

It is cheaper to use other networks to call MTN, than to use MTN to call MTN. And you come hear to talk trash defending MTN.

People subscribe for internet service and they cant use it, Moneies are never refunded.

pls dont mention NITEL in comparism with the ripp off that MTN is doing, without MTN GSM would still exist in Nigeria.

You claim that MTN was planing to Introduce Per sec billing, i want to tell you that you are a Big LIAR. MTN told us that Per sec billing was not possible till 2007. Glo started operation in 2005 and began with per sec. in sept 2005 MTN also began per sec billing so tell me why did not wait till 2007 to begin. M

MY friend it does not cost nothing to begin Per sec billing  as you claim it will cost money. Per sec billing has been a feature of GSM Billing software since the 1990s and the software MTN were using since 2001 has per sec billing- so u see what i mean u have bin brain washed?

I discourage pple everyday from using MTN, and i urge everyone to do the same.

MTN has the slimest profit margin amongs the all network, thier distributors dont make much compared other network. they are also ripping off the distributors.

they are also ripping off graduates, call center agents Earn the lowest in the industry- Ripp OFF

they are less nigerian amongts the middle class, top executive - nigerians do the dirty Job in the company while thier south african eat the fatest salary- ripp off

rman:

Coverage issue is a totaly different issue. The fact that you don't have mtn network may mean their coverage is not there at all or their base station is down. I am baffled the two reasons I gave still does not qualify as steatling in my opinion.

Read my post again. I never said they offer the cheapest call rates. Waht i have only tried to point out is that in a competitive market where there in no monoploly, I find it hard that people come out to slander just one company that is just rtying to survive like the others. Whatever you call is rip off is a choice made by YOU AND YOU ALONE. What I have only tried to point out is only time will tell whos has a better business strategy. In a competitive environent also , I can not fix my salaries based on what my competitor is paying. ALL BANKS IN NIGERIA DON''T PAY SAME SALARY and I have not seen Nigerians calling the least paying banks rip offs
Everytime I just hear or read people bringing MTN down. The message that comes across to me is people trying to force a company to close shop based on their own financial interests. It is always cheaper calls , PROMO and stuffs. Show me an operator in Nigerian that does not have quality challenges. But coming out with hate telling a company to pay more of give out more in a competitive market is so Nigerian.  Your claim that they pay call centre agents the least is wrong. Please find out the truth and don't let hate cloud ibjective analysys. I have not insulted or try to slander any company in my post so far, I will expect people to do same when they respond. WE CAN ALL LEARNT A LOT THROUGH THIS THREAD
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by rman: 5:23pm On Jun 05, 2011
@VALACIOUS

Read my post again. I never said they offer the cheapest call rates. What i have only tried to point out is that in a competitive market where there in no monopoly, I find it hard that people come out to slander just one company that is just trying to survive like the others. Whatever you call is rip off is a choice made by YOU AND YOU ALONE. What I have only tried to point out is only time will tell whose has a better business strategy. In a competitive environment also , I can not fix my salaries based on what my competitor is paying. ALL BANKS IN NIGERIA DON'T PAY SAME SALARY and I have not seen Nigerians calling the least paying banks rip offs
Everytime I just hear or read people bringing MTN down. The message that comes across to me is people trying to force a company to close shop based on their own financial interests. It is always cheaper calls , PROMO and stuffs. Show me an operator in Nigerian that does not have quality challenges. But coming out with hate telling a company to pay more of give out more in a competitive market is so Nigerian. Your claim that they pay call centre agents the least is wrong. Please find out the truth and don't let hate cloud objective analysis. I have not insulted or try to slander any company in my post so far, I will expect people to do same when they respond. WE CAN ALL LEARNT A LOT THROUGH THIS THREAD
Posted on: Today at 05:11:34 PMPosted by: valacious
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by ogasir2011: 5:27pm On Jun 05, 2011
rman:

No one is telling MTN to close shop, MTN are ripping pple off.

1.can you explain to us why its more expensive to call MTN to MTN than using another network to call MTN?

2. with the largest subscriber base  MTN rates within the network shld be the cheapest(Economies of Scale)
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by ogasir2011: 5:30pm On Jun 05, 2011
@rman

you are obviously not answering our questions you are only re posting part of your initial post. kindly address som question asked
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by rman: 5:30pm On Jun 05, 2011
valacious:

@mr rman be sincere with yourself and tell me which network has d largest subscriber, it's mtn. Now according to economics of scale are they not meant to be d network with more value offering? Why cant they refine d magic no stuff and put a peg on d no of hours u can talk to a friend per day, say 2hrs max. Why is it so double expensive using an mtn to call an mtn, at N30/min, while i can use a glo infinito line to call same mtn at N15/min. Which makes more sense?dont they have d same challenges?
If mtn makes on net calls 5 naira today what do you think their competitors will do? They will try to bring theirs down also or close shop. We definately be faced with MONOPOLY of market which is not good for the gsm market. Having largest subscriber and stuff does not mean they should just come out and make theirs cheaper. Your seugestion concerning magic number is very good and it is possible. But if I tell you I want my product to be free 24/7 with just a token access fee and just put restrictions on it like you suggested without doing proper market research again won't be a good for a market leader.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by rman: 5:35pm On Jun 05, 2011
ogasir2011:

@rman

you are obviously not answering our questions you are only re posting part of your initial post. kindly address som question asked

If you want me to expalin to you how MTN came about their tarriffs , I am sorry , I can't. My point is in a competitive market no body should complain about rip off when the so called cheaper and better alternative is starring you in the eyes. Unless there is something they are(mtn) doing right that we all just dont want to addmit.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by evilspirit: 6:04pm On Jun 05, 2011
@rman. what is rip off?
when the cost of a minute on-net call is less than 7Naira why charge 30 naira ---- rip off.
you have been brain washed.why not they pay your bills. i have a friend in MTN , he told me airtel 12/min is not sustainable but 6months they are yet to close shop.MTN is a thief ,that's it. i used to use MTN but when i changed to Glo and Airtel i sent Sms to all the numbers in my contacts to inform them of my new lines and i broke my MTN sim.i think the militants should start blowing their masts. if they use petrol for their Gens i will personally blow some.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by evilspirit: 6:07pm On Jun 05, 2011
@rman. what is rip off?
when the cost of a minute on-net call is less than 7Naira why charge 30 naira ---- rip off.
you have been brain washed.why wont you?they pay your bills. i have a friend in MTN , he told me airtel 12/min is not sustainable but 6months they are yet to close shop.MTN is a thief ,that's it. i used to use MTN but when i changed to Glo and Airtel i sent Sms to all the numbers in my contacts to inform them of my new lines and i broke my MTN sim.i think the militants should start blowing their masts. if they use petrol for their Gens i will personally blow some.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by evilspirit: 6:15pm On Jun 05, 2011
@rman why is your company preventing number portability?
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by MaiSuya(m): 6:25pm On Jun 05, 2011
airtel 12naira per min to all networks, can u beat that? MTN to MTN 30naira per min.

I feel you 100%

I just finished talkign with my mum on the phone, spent well over 30mins (airtel to airtel). Guess how much was taken? just about N400. If it were to be MTN, it would have been over N1000.

frankly anyone wasting their time with that useless network (MTN) must be. . .
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by evilspirit: 6:29pm On Jun 05, 2011
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by igbogolo: 7:04pm On Jun 05, 2011
I call my mom only on her etisalat line. If I call her MTN, it costs three times as much.

Honestly there is no need using an MTN line. Its only sentimental attachment that keeps people glued to their first GSM numbers, ( which most probably may be an MTN line)
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by sirabbey(m): 7:05pm On Jun 05, 2011
[b]rman, your bread is certainly buttered by Empty Net (MTN) at the moment, so i understand your sentiments and PR salvage crusade, but stop defending the indefensible. your posts insults the intelligences of your esteemed customers ( that is if we are esteemed indeed by Empty Net.)
If i were you i will be worried stiff that your customers hold this view about your company and will stay invisible behind my computer screen gathering informations needed to marshall a change in company policies or at least direct the attention of policies maker to this page rather than worsening the situation with your poorly thought out responses. Agreed some of the comments here are to the extreme to say the least (i.e someone saying he hate south Africa becos of Empty Net reputation.) but not everyone has mastered the ability of managing his anger.

I am another one of your victimised/ripped off esteemed customer waiting to sign off your Empty Net.

sorry i typed in red.[/
b]
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by John3161(m): 7:09pm On Jun 05, 2011
I use their postpaid which is a bit cheper compared to prepaid. I subscribed to their BB and when I discovered that their BB is a sham, I called their customer care and requested that my BB service be susPended. I changed to glo BB and I've been enjoying their service but. I now use my MTN on my chinco fone which is not wap enabled but MTN still charge me 3k for BB which I no longer use despite series of calls to their customer care who confirmed my BB has been suspended since 3 months ago. I have sent my new Airtel number to my clients and will soon destroy their sim card. Imagine being charged 9k for a service U've suspended and never used. These guys are fraudsters.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by John3161(m): 7:10pm On Jun 05, 2011
I use their postpaid which is a bit cheper compared to prepaid. I subscribed to their BB and when I discovered that their BB is a sham, I called their customer care and requested that my BB service be susPended. I changed to glo BB and I've been enjoying their service but. I now use my MTN on my chinco fone which is not wap enabled but MTN still charge me 3k for BB which I no longer use despite series of calls to their customer care who confirmed my BB has been suspended since 3 months ago. I have sent my new Airtel number to my clients and will soon destroy their sim card. Imagine being charged 9k for a service U've suspended and never used. These guys are fraudsters.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by John3161(m): 7:11pm On Jun 05, 2011
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by biz2get(m): 7:22pm On Jun 05, 2011
Emty Net(MTN) are crazy i jst load 100n on my Emty Net and sharply they remove 50bucks frm it and e remain 50n now, fool
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by estatemark(m): 7:31pm On Jun 05, 2011
Well I Hardly charged my MTN line and when I do it would be because the re-charge card seller mistakely gave an MTN card instead of my usual-airtel thanks we now have options to choose from.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by mhm(m): 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2011
rman:

@OP

The Nigerian Telecoms market is a competitive market , no one is ripping you off. If you are not satisfied with the quality of service in your area from mtn it is so unfortunate. A lot of factors not known to you could be responsible.  MTN is constantly working round the clock to make the quality of service top notch. And based on the survey carried out early this year putting into consideration parameters like availability of the network, call success rate (CSSR) , call drop, congestion etc . MTN still has the best network in the country.
The promo and cheaper calls by competitors is to attract more subscribers and have more on net calls that's all.They are still interested in making profit like MTN. Giving money to individuals isn't MTN'S way of rewarding customers. Find out about MTN community projects in your area, they are indeed doing a lot.
Magic number is a product we introduced but was really abused by customers. MTN has its own fault too. When we introduced magic number we are intrested in letting people call just one number for free for a whole month but the traffic(Erlang) on the network became so much in weeks that our network became congested 24/7. Nigerians love to talk but when a call runs into hours between two individuals and people having FOUR IN ONE PHONES all with MTN line, we had to suspend this product until the network is ready to sustain such long hour calls that prevents other subscribers from clamping onto the network.
It is amazing how Nigerians easily forgot that eleven years ago, NITEL was the only operator and Nigerians were going through hell to communicate.  If we all remember M-tel actually offered the cheapest calls immediately they took off but it was not sustainable then and we all know what happened to m-tel just a few years later. In fact dstv a SA company Nigerians refer to as a rip off too is the only pay tv that actually has more Nigerian content even when they didn't have the premiership. We all also know that they also have the best quality in terms off pictures and content. That is why dstv is still here and the same reason is why mtn is still growing. If you offer cheap services that is not sustainable in the long run that is not a good business strategy. It is better for prices to come down as market forces and other variables dictate.
Before I forget the per second billing issue. MTN launched their network in Nigeria with per minute billing, in a few months customers asked for per second billing. In fact they were already working on changing their entire billing system within a short while (which will cost money) of launching their network before GLO came out with per second billing. I hope we all know that competitors monitor one another and study the market. GLO coming out first with per second billing is just a company that did her home work well before coming out.
All GSM companies are trying to make profit and calling one a rip off or slandering one isn't the way to go. WHAT YOU EXPERIENCED AS POOR QUALITY OF SERVICE FROM ONE VENDOR IS BEING EXPERIENCED BY A SUBSCRIBER ON THE OTHER NETWORK YOU ARE PLANNING TO MIGRATE TO.

what did MTN expect would happen by offering the magic number? If they knew their network could not handle it, why roll it out. Lame excuse. From your response you really sound like an MTN staff, i see the brainwashing paid off
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by AlabaSlim: 7:46pm On Jun 05, 2011
@rman
jus say u no get d power or u no dey @ d top 2 reduce prise
no cm here dey insalt us,abeg
tank u
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by AlabaSlim: 7:46pm On Jun 05, 2011
@rman
jus say u no get d power or u no dey @ d top 2 reduce prise
no cm here dey insalt us,abeg
tank u
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 05, 2011
I'm still using MTN line cos i hav MTN number on most of my CV's I sent out. Once I am able 2 get a reply frm some coys, I wont waste time 2 flush d my MTN card into d toilet. Wayo stingy hell of a Network!
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by tunde300us(m): 8:01pm On Jun 05, 2011
I think MTN is just playing on our intelligence,i once got a call from their customer care ppl and they asked some many questn, infact i think we spent almost 1hr talking that day and my thinking was that maybe they are on a survey of some sort to make changes on their tarrif etc.But as at today nothing has changed and rman is here trying to defend a company that enjoys taking our money to SA every month.
I think the FG should charge this company for capital flight
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by lonelydude: 8:02pm On Jun 05, 2011
Wow,

I just got a Blackberry phone which I'm currently using with my MTN line but from all what I've read here, I can say I have all these while been uninformed. I'm definitely going to get a new line.

Which do u guys recommend for BIS?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by madprof(m): 8:05pm On Jun 05, 2011
I think there's too much unnecessary fuss about MTN's tariffs on this thread. You shouldn't expend a lot of energy complaining about MTN. Not when there are several alternatives out there. The irony is that most of the people complaining DO have MTN lines, so why are they still using those lines? Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending MTN - but it is a matter of personal choice which network(s) you decide to use. When it comes to total service quality, other networks over time have not performed much better than MTN either. Every one of them is defficient in one way or another in total service quality and product offering. Take for instance Airtel says they give 20 free SMS monthly with their 20k/s call plan, yet they always charge for texts I send; why? Those other smaller networks(visafone, starcomms, etc) can't even compare because they don't have robust value added services. In today's telecomms market you can't survive without value added services. MTN's internet service is about the most reliable among all the networks. Again, I'm not supporting MTN, but overall the other networks aren't doing or offering much better services.
What we need to advocate for is all-round better services and cheaper call rates from network operators rather than attacking MTN. Even at Airtel's 20k/s Nigerians still pay among the highest phone tariffs in the world; that has got to stop. Think about it: if MTN were really worse than other networks they wouldn't still be in business would they? The best way to attack MTN is to totally boycott their services - how many people can realistically do that? In any case MTN is a rip-off because NCC has allowed it.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by chidianan(m): 8:06pm On Jun 05, 2011
When MTN came out with the magic number package, I thought they have changed only that the package went into hibernation 3 weeks ago. shocked shocked
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by Sike(m): 8:24pm On Jun 05, 2011
Truely, MTN na scam!! Truth is bitter but must be said.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by fizokey(m): 8:25pm On Jun 05, 2011
I will be free from airtime vanishing, BIS instability, frequent web page unavailability responses (I'm still amazed that nairaland opened on my last moments with this network). I'll be free at exactly 08.58pm according to their renewal message. I will be free like Akon sang, I'll be free from Mobile Thieves of Nigeria and unto Glo I must!
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by rman: 8:25pm On Jun 05, 2011
madprof:

I think there's too much unnecessary fuss about MTN's tariffs on this thread. You shouldn't expend a lot of energy complaining about MTN. Not when there are several alternatives out there. The irony is that most of the people complaining DO have MTN lines, so why are they still using those lines? Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending MTN - but it is a matter of personal choice which network(s) you decide to use. When it comes to total service quality, other networks over time have not performed much better than MTN either. Every one of them is defficient in one way or another in total service quality and product offering. Take for instance Airtel says they give 20 free SMS monthly with their 20k/s call plan, yet they always charge for texts I send; why? Those other smaller networks(visafone, starcomms, etc) can't even compare because they don't have robust value added services. In today's telecomms market you can't survive without value added services. MTN's internet service is about the most reliable among all the networks. Again, I'm not supporting MTN, but overall the other networks aren't doing or offering much better services.
What we need to advocate for is all-round better services and cheaper call rates from network operators rather than attacking MTN. Even at Airtel's 20k/s Nigerians still pay among the highest phone tariffs in the world; that has got to stop. Think about it: if MTN were really worse than other networks they wouldn't still be in business would they? The best way to attack MTN is to totally boycott their services - how many people can realistically do that? In any case MTN is a rip-off because NCC has allowed it.

Thanks for being objective. Some of the point I try to pass across is there in your reply. Why attack a company that did not force you to buy their product? Why do we call them a rip off if the so call alternative's that is great is easily accesible? NCC did not force the others to reduce their tarriffs , competition is the sole reason why they did. MTN is well aware of the market in which they operate and they know that any service provider that charges three times what the competition does for the same service may well be out of business in a matter of time. MTN will soon reduce their tarriffs but when they do, the same set of people lamenting now will be the first set to come out and say calls should be made free by MTN because they are from South Africa.
Network quality issue is been faced by all the operator. If NCC carries out their quarterly quality checks across the country and a particular service provider always come out tops , why sanction them? Competitive pricing is good for customers but for proper competition to be in place for serious competition is to ask yourself, why mtn is still in business why all logical explanation points towards the fact that they should be out off business. SIM cards cost just #150.
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by lanrewajew(m): 8:35pm On Jun 05, 2011
@rman, i agree wit u on ur concept of competition. Yea competitors wuld do anyfin 2 get u off d way. But wat i dnt understand is y consumers can nt av value for hard earnd money. What i wil cal gud busines sense, is knowin wat ur subscribers needs are nd meetin 'em, xactly wat glo did wit p/sec billn. Consumer satisfaction must come first, and dats wat d etisalat family b'livs in, reason for d wide range of products nd services targetin consumer satisfactn. No coy can survive without profits, bt dnt let it get in2 ur head. Improve services, study d market very wel b4 bringin up unique services (magic_number) so u dnt fumbl, be consumer oriented. Cheap call tariffs nd internet services is feasible in nigeria, der is no such fin as unsustainability. In dis market, d consumer is king! Yea. . .we knw dat wink
Re: Should Any Sensible Person Be On The MTN Network? by rman: 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2011
lanrewajew:

@rman, i agree wit u on your concept of competition. Yea competitors wuld do anyfin 2 get u off d way. But wat i dnt understand is y consumers can nt av value for hard earnd money. What i wil cal gud busines sense, is knowin wat your subscribers needs are nd meetin 'em, xactly wat glo did wit p/sec billn. Consumer satisfaction must come first, and dats wat d etisalat family b'livs in, reason for d wide range of products nd services targetin consumer satisfactn. No coy can survive without profits, bt dnt let it get in2 your head. Improve services, study d market very wel b4 bringin up unique services (magic_number) so u dnt fumbl, be consumer oriented. Cheap call tariffs nd internet services is feasible in nigeria, der is no such fin as unsustainability. In dis market, d consumer is king! Yea. . .we knw dat wink

I completely agree

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"Error"when Downloading From Fztvseries Using Ucweb / Glo 1k Is Now 1G Officially for Android and Non BlackBerry / Etisalat To Introduce Easynet Time Plan. - Unlimited Data Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.