Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language (582 Views)

As A Programmer, How Are You Coping In This Economy? / I Want My Son To Be A Programmer, How Do I Go About It / When You Try To Understand A New Programming Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by SALLYBERRY01(m): 12:07am On Jul 18, 2021
I will be detailed, as a programmer how do you learn a new language, what method do use, for instance while watching a video to learn a programming language, do you always cram the process?, if your response IS NO, you don't cram you try to understand. I have another question after trying to understand is it normal to forget the entire process?
I will be anticipating response from programmers thank you.
Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by webapi: 12:19am On Jul 18, 2021
SALLYBERRY01:
I will be detailed, as a programmer how do you learn a new language, what method do use, for instance while watching a video to learn a programming language, do you always cram the process?, if your response IS NO, you don't cram you try to understand. I have another question after trying to understand is it normal to forget the entire process?
As a good programmer you should first understand that every language has a basic standard but different syntax. What i mean is, if you write PHP, you will know things like print/console, variable, arrays, loops, functions etc. When you go to other languages, you will find these same thing. So first thing is, learn how to print a statement in another language like python, then how to declare a variable, to to map arrays. These syntaxes would be different but you would have understood where you are heading to before jumping into frameworks on such languages.

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by stanliwise(m): 2:17am On Jul 18, 2021
SALLYBERRY01:
You shouldn’t cram code for anything. You have the internet and hard drive to find virtually all you ever needed at anytime.

Instead you try to understand, understand means to make sense of a concept and to make sense means to connect dots together. When watching a tutorial you’re most likely doing one of the following
What ?
How ?
Why?

1.What is seeing something and knowing what they are.
2. How is how you can do them for yourself. This is very important, you must learn to do things you learn on tutorial just by yourself and be able to do similar stuff on your own
3. Why did it work. A much more deeper dive into what something is really made of rather tan just the way you see them from the top.

Now when watching a video or learning something new one thing you should concentrate on is “relatability”. How close is the new knowledge to previous ones you have learned properly before ? If they are too far off you would need to somehow close the gap by doing personal research or take some step backwards and do bigger research.
If you don’t you will just not be able to connect to the video nor even be able understand half of many things they said, even if you hear them you won’t make sense of any of them.

Sometime change the video and find more relatable ones, sometime change your tutor and if possible check if the topic is something at your level

4 Likes

Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by valzey(m): 5:41am On Jul 18, 2021
I never cram code and yes, I forget syntax very well. I often mix operations in C#, JavaScript, PHP, python and would often have to browse to remember. I even do this during interviews lol because I know too many languages. But make no mistake, I'm very good in all and it's more like an experience thing to me. You don't need to study a new language concepts from start to know that you should not try to index an array beyond its length or use an uninitialised variable. Most concepts are reusable across languages.

About my learning process, It depends on the reason for learning the language. If I'm learning it for the feel I just complete at least one large project that uses all the basic concepts in the language and jump off. But if I want to switch my core stack like I did with golang and the React framework, I'll try to grab the concepts as deeply as I can.

Now golang is a special case because it's behaviour is unlike any other language even it's closest sibling C so you really have to grab it's concepts and style but most other languages are similar to each other and so I don't go that far for them unless perhaps to understand how multi-threading works in that language and many few other stuff.

Even React is also unique as you'll need to learn it's hooks and when to use them to be really good and it's concepts are different from other frameworks.

Usually my search history will be like: check if string is in array JavaScript/C#/PHP...etc and I don't have the energy to look at a previous project unless to reuse blocks of code

2 Likes

Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by CodingBlood: 9:26am On Jul 18, 2021
When you learn a programming language, learning another will be relatively easy.
After watching videos, the most important thing is for you to master it and build projects. This way, you'll be more familiar with the syntax.
Yes I do mix syntaxes from different languages, for example, I remembered when I wrote else if in python instead of elif after coding in JavaScript for some time.

Like I've said earlier, mastering a language is the key, then support it with projects; this way you'll understand and not CRAM.
Funny enough, syntaxes do get stuck to the memory when you have a lot of bugs in your code. When you debug and run the code like 50 times before you get the actual result, won't the syntax get stuck to your memory?
That's why projects are a great way of learning.
Happy coding!

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by Franzee(m): 9:54am On Jul 18, 2021
I'm learning a course on Javascript... everything still looks like magic..
even at if else statements.
still confused difference between () and {}... They both represent objects if I'm right..
Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by CodingBlood: 10:15am On Jul 18, 2021
Franzee:
I'm learning a course on Javascript... everything still looks like magic..
even at if else statements.
still confused difference between () and {}... They both represent objects if I'm right..

I'm also still learning it.
{} Is for objects (which is known as a dictionary in python)
As I know, () is used when creating a function. E.g function foo () {
console.log("Hi"wink
}
foo()

I know python, so JavaScript is somehow easy for me. As for the conditionals(if & if else), it's simple.
Just imagine you want to do something based on a condition that'll determine what you'll do.
For example,
I will go to the market
if I have enough money
else if I'll go tomorrow
Hope it helps wink

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by NDSMELODY(m): 11:24am On Jul 18, 2021
I have basic knowledge in java language, I am a fresh graduate of elect/elect engineering.......how much is java relevant in the world of programming ?
Re: As A Programmer How Do You Learn/understand A New Language by Franzee(m): 3:07pm On Jul 18, 2021
CodingBlood:

I'm also still learning it.
{} Is for objects (which is known as a dictionary in python)
As I know, () is used when creating a function. E.g function foo () {
console.log("Hi"wink
}
foo()

I know python, so JavaScript is something easy for me. As for the conditionals(if & if else), it's simple.
Just imagine you want to do something based on a condition that'll determine what you'll do.
For example,
I will go to the market
if I have enough money
else if I'll go tomorrow
Hope it helps wink

damn.... nice breakdown... I grab this easy after watching tons of videos

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Learn Java / I Need An App Developer On A Tight Budget / Who's Good With Logical Word Problems (pay)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.